Chapter 10
408 2 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gilbert walked back to the village with the fox-kin in tow. He saw the elder was sitting on the ground just outside the town hall, meditating.

“I assume no one else will be joining us?” Gilbert asked once he was close enough.

“I’m afraid not.” The elder responded and stood up. “If you wish, I can provide accommodation for a day. You must be tired.”

“Thank you for the offer, but that won’t be necessary. Do you have a place I can conduct a ritual?”

“Of course, follow me.” The elder led them to the inner garden of the town hall. There was a tree in the middle with white trunk and red leaves. With the tree, the ground and the building boxing it in, there wasn’t a lot of light inside the garden. Gilbert however wasn’t bothered by it and began drawing up a ritual circle with chalk on the dirt.

Once the circle was ready Gilbert motioned Elizabeth to step inside the circle and so she did. “Thank you for your hospitality.” Gilbert respectfully bowed to the elder who returned the gesture. “Don’t move.” He turned to the fox-kin who just nodded enthusiastically.

The circle began glowing brightly before Gilbert’s vision was flooded by white light. Elizabeth’s…. Yuuki’s vision was just fine, what the mortals of this world called ‘teleportation’ was just a spell that made them go really really fast from one place to the other. Considering the fact that Yuuki could go faster if she wanted to, she could even enjoy the ride and look around as they flew all the way to Estervale.

 

--

 

Yuuki’s father silently cursed the fact that the teleportation circles in the mansion only worked in one direction. He didn’t have his daughter’s ability to just warp herself wherever she wanted, so he was currently on the back of an eagle the size of a small building. He carefully directed it to land just outside the barrier surrounding the mansion and got off. The eagle took off once more, heading back to the capital, without a passenger.

As Jack was walking back home, he noticed two figures lying in the tall grass. One of the figures was Yuuki. The other was a small wolf-kin girl with raven black fur he knew was Alice.

During his time stuck in the capital, he was exchanging letters with his daughter. Through these letters he got to know the situation between Yuuki and Alice. He also had a list Yuuki had personally written about all the different things she could accomplish. One of those was ‘exist in multiple places at once’. The mission he had given Yuuki, while important, had one main goal: to see if she would continue to care for Alice while accomplishing her mission. He was very happy with the result.

 

--

 

Gilbert and Yuuki stood in the middle of a large ritual circle engraved in stone. It had a faint blue glow that was slowly fading. The surrounding buildings were all built of marble and were all over 3 stories high.

“Where are we?” Yuuki asked, taking on the role of a curious child.

“We are in Estervale, the capital city of magic. More specifically, we are in the school district. Come on, I’ll show you around.” Gilbert began showing all the different buildings and their functions. The library, the administrative building, the cafeteria, the different dorms, everything. Each school of magic that was taught at the Institute had its own building. There was even a gym hall that the students called the “Arena”. 

As a middle schooler, Yuuki would be attending the cleverly named “Middle school”. A single building that taught the basics of magic, while mainly focusing on history, geography and etiquette. Children aged 6-12 had the chance to enroll as and would spend 6 years as a middle schooler. Another 6 years as a high schooler until graduation. The reason the different classes would have such varying age groups was because different people awaken their talent with magic at different ages. Nobles in specific would also tend to send their children to the Institute only when they were already 12 years old, so they would have an advantage with being homeschooled for a few years prior.

Gilbert led her inside one of the large dorm buildings designated for middle schoolers. There was a receptionist lady no older than 20 who welcomed them with a smile.

“Good morning. How may I help?”

“I’d like to vouch for her to enroll as a middle schooler.” Gilbert placed a metal badge on the table and received a paper sheet for it. He filled it out and gave it back to the receptionist who read it carefully.

Name: Elizabeth Ashwood
Age: 7
Birthday: October 21
Parents: Unknown
Birthplace: Unknown
Place of residence: Unnamed village in the Valrose Woods
Magic affinity: Violet, possibly higher
Additional notes:
-She is capable of casting lesser invisibility.
-The evaluation stone broke from her touch.
-Based on what she said, she has met with the goddess Mystra and is most likely blessed by her.
-Needs clothing, books, notebooks, quills, and ink.
Recommended classes: All

The receptionist read it over twice to make sure she wasn’t making a mistake before scrambling to create an identification card for her. She placed it on the table in front of Yuuki who picked it up and looked at it.

“Be careful not to lose it.” Gilbert smiled.

The receptionist was really envious of Gilbert’s ability to keep calm while standing next to a girl that would grow up to be a weapon of mass destruction. People blessed by the spirits were as rare as they were powerful, at most twenty were alive at any time, but each could rival a small army. People blessed by gods were more numerous only because their lifespans would measure in the thousands of years. They were also much more powerful, each having the ability to destroy a country if they so wished. Of course, the more powerful blessing would also come with more restrictions and duties from their deities.

With a shaking hand she handed Yuuki a key to her room. Gilbert silently guided her to it, not knowing that the fox-kin could, in fact, read.  They said their goodbyes and Yuuki entered her new room with nothing but some clothes she stole from a merchant, a box with her fake ID, a brand new real fake ID and a silver coin. Her living quarters were not as large as the one in the mansion, but still had a bed, wardrobes, a table and a proper bathroom with plumbing. She didn’t exactly need any of it, sleep, hygiene, physical clothes, but for the time being she had to pretend that she did. She got on her new bed and pretended to sleep.

23