Chapter 28
351 5 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After Igraine had her turn, Cassandra reluctantly entered the booth, and came out red as a tomato afterwards.

“It will take me some time to complete, but it should be done by the evening.” Roselle told her customers and got right to work.

“May I observe?” Yuuki asked impassively.

“Sure? Why?” Rose was more weirded out than anything.

“I was told not to spy on people while we’re on vacation, and I wish to collect information on sewing. I’ve already seen the landmarks in this city, so that isn’t an issue.”

“Alright, have fun!” Alice said jovially as she led out the remaining group and began their sightseeing tour.

Rose continued working, Yuuki observed from a distance, not intruding. She was talented and had put a lot of work into it ever since she was a child helping out her mother, so she was remarkably fast and accurate. She was a bit flustered by being watched while working, so she took a small break and decided to pick out the remaining materials she would use for the other clothes as well. She got a chair and put it next to a large shelf.

“I wouldn’t recommend it, your blood pressure-” Yuuki began talking, but her warning was in vain as Rose already began falling off the chair before she could finish it.

Rose had fallen off chairs before, it wouldn’t have been the first time, and she knew how to fall by now. She already prepared herself to meet the ground and roll, but instead of the hardwood floor, she felt two arms that caught her. It took her a moment to realize that Yuuki was holding her in a bridal carry.

“As I said, your blood pressure is low, you should refrain from standing up quickly after sitting or lying in bed for extended periods. You should also drink more water.”

“understood…” Rose muttered as she was scolded by someone over ten years her junior. Yuuki set her down in a chair and placed a metal cup filled with water in front of her.

“Take a few minutes to rest.”

“Okay, mom.” She said in a voice she was certain someone couldn’t even make out if she whispered it into their ear.

“I am not your mother, and I request you do not call me that.” She said with a blank expression as always.

Rose got flustered, her head was starting to house more blood than the rest of her body combined. “You heard that?”

“Yes, I have very sharp senses. That’s also why I knew you had low blood pressure.”

I’m so glad I didn’t skip taking a shower in the morning.

Rose had enough of being flustered, so she decided to try to take the offensive.

“Wow, listening to my heartbeat, that’s kinda romantic.” She put on her best wry smile while looking Yuuki in the eye.

“It is? Thank you for telling me, although I have no control over what I can and what I can’t hear. I simply filter out most of it.”

“Oh, how far can you hear?” After the seemingly complete cluelessness of the fox-kin, her want for revenge was replaced with curiosity.

“Very.” Seeing as that wasn’t a satisfying answer, she continued. “For example, I can hear that eight hundred meters that way,” She pointed in the direction of the slums. “a human male in his thirties is being beaten up by three other people with similar profiles, albeit with larger frames…” Her eyes unfocused as she detailed the event further. “His two floating ribs on his right side were broken… ruptured liver… a kick to the stomach…” She took a sniff. “The assailants are all intoxicated, one of them is carrying large quantities of dried hallucinogenic plants…”

Rose’s eyes went wide by the commentary. “What? We should do something!”

Yuuki turned her eyes and looked at the shopkeeper who could barely stand on her legs after simply hearing about what was going on. She only said a single word, cold, and without emotion. “Why?”

“What do you mean ‘why’? Someone is being hurt, we have to help them!”

“Something of this nature happens on average 2,1 times per day across the continent. But you already knew that something like this happened regularly in this city, and yet you are only upset about it once you know the specifics. People would hardly care if they read that someone was killed, but if they see it in person, it’s suddenly different. Why?”

“I don’t know! It just feels right to want to do something if it’s in front of you!” She yelled at the fox-kin, who looked away from her.

Concepts like right and wrong made no sense to Yuuki. If there was a right, it could be measured, and objectively stated. If there was a wrong, it could likewise be a uniform result. Instead, the majority of the population agreed that they feel the same way about certain actions and behaviors. And these opinions would be passed down and taught to people, and they would think that they are the only right way of looking at things. The problem was: sufficiently isolated cultures would often end up with conflicting opinions. Some would view sacrifices and executions as good, some as bad. Some would consider stealing a capital offence, some would be far less strict.

She pondered for a few seconds before walking before Rose and putting her hand out. “Alright, let’s go and help.”

The shopkeeper, perplexed, took a few moments to think about it before she hesitantly took Yuuki’s hand. The world around them shifted and they were suddenly in an alleyway with three thugs beating up a fourth person.

“So, what is ‘the right thing to do’?” Yuuki asked and the thugs all turned to look at the new arrivals.

“Who the hell are you?” One of them asked. Yuuki noticed that he faked a voice deeper than what his normal one was. Instead of answering, Yuuki looked questioningly at Rose, who began shaking.

“Well, what a pleasant surprise. I was getting in the mood for-” One of the thugs began walking over to them, but Yuuki cut him off when he was halfway.

“Take another step and you will die.”

He stopped for a moment, surprised, but decided to take another step with a large grin on his face. Just as his foot reached the ground, he instantly went limp and crashed to the ground face-first.

The other two men took a couple steps back, staring in terror before deciding to run away, shouting profanities.

Yuuki simply looked at the dumbstruck shopkeeper who practically collapsed on the spot, leaning against one of the walls in the alley, beginning to hyperventilate. She curled up in a fetal position, hiding her head behind her knees.

Suddenly, Rose felt a wave of calm wash over her and she quickly looked around. Yuuki’s hand was on her shoulder, looking into her eyes.

“Are… are you a goddess?”

The cold violet eyes got slightly warmer as Yuuki remembered the first time she was asked that question. Rose realized she was back in her shop, and she was sitting in a chair.

“No.”

“What about the guy? And the other ones?”

“I healed his injuries. The assailants lost all memory of having seen either of us, or attacking that man.”

“And… the one you killed?” Her voice was shaking, she was very much scared.

“I only made him lose consciousness. He will probably have a bruise on his face.”

Rose was relieved to hear that. “You asked me what to do. If I had told you to kill them…” Her voice quaked before she was no longer able to continue talking.

“I would have done so… Although, in hindsight it’s better that I didn’t, you most likely would have blamed yourself.” Her voice had a tinge of regret.

“And what do you care? You’ve been quite obvious about the fact that you don’t!” She snapped suddenly, mainly at Yuuki's confusing switch from complete apathy to now caring.

Yuuki stood in silence for a bit. “Because you’re right here in front of me. Because it feels right. I don’t know why, but that’s how I feel. I don’t know how my own mind works and I hate it. That is why I asked you. I want to know the reason.” She showed more emotion in this one breath, than Rose had seen from her before combined. She seemed frustrated and lost.

Rose was taken aback by this, but she did her best to try and answer the question. “I don’t think there is a reason… wait, so you did want to help that man as well?”

“I did. I also thought that it is a completely illogical feeling and therefore ignored it.” She reverted to her normal state once more.

Roselle did not know what to say, so she walked over to Yuuki and hugged her. The taller fox-kin hunched over a bit so their heads would be the same height.

They stood there for a few seconds before the silence was broken. “I should probably get back to work.”

 

--

 

Alice was happily strolling around the city, watching all the different monuments, statues and buying food from stalls on the streets. Igraine followed her, but she seemed a lot more focused on the clothes and sweets that were on show in different shops. Cassandra… Cassandra tagged along, trying to become one with the background. When they went back to the clothes shop before dusk, they did get a bit surprised.

Yuuki was currently in her brand new summer clothes. Her new top left her midriff exposed, she was also wearing short pants that went only halfway to her knees. She was slouched on a sofa, reading a book she was holding up using magic. The surprising part was that she was currently being painted by Roselle on a small canvas.

“The clothes are on the counter over there. I assume you can guess which one’s who’s.” The shopkeeper said without breaking her focus on painting.

“It’s really good. Are you sure it’s just a hobby?”Alice asked as she took a good look at the art-piece.

“Thanks. The problem is, I am a bit slow, so I need a target that is perfectly still if it is to look good.”

“She is disturbingly good at staying still. I remember she used to pretend to sleep when I was smaller so I wouldn’t have to be alone.”

This caused Rose to stop for a moment before she chuckled. The more she knew about Yuuki, the stranger she seemed.

Igraine had already put on her new clothes and was happily posing in front of a full body mirror. Despite the fact that hers was specifically a bit more reserved to account for her shyness, Cassandra had looked at her own clothes with a blush to pierce the heavens. Eventually, specifically after Alice had put on hers and started nagging the poor girl, she also put on her new set of clothing.

After another five minutes, the painting was done and Yuuki stood up.

“How much will they all cost?”

Rose was confused at first, but then she remembered that she didn’t say what she would charge for the clothes.

“Well, I mean…” Before she could say anything, Igraine put an arm around her, and cut her off.

“Come on, why don’t you just hire her? She could be the official seamstress of the Church or something.”

“Church?” Rose knew that Cassandra was part of the Church of Light, but based on her robes, she wasn’t a high ranking member. Certainly not high ranking enough to appoint who would create the clothing for the church, that was reserved for only the high priests and bishops.

“Oh yeah, Yuuki over there’s the high priestess of Mystra.” Igraine said dismissively as the person in question was currently cuddling with Alice on the sofa.

Rose snapped her head back and forth as if she were looking at a tennis match, the confusion showing on her face.

“She’s probably the richest, strongest, most powerful and most influential mortal… probably a mortal in the world.” Igraine summed up, enjoying every second of the redhead’s confusion.

“But why would she hire me?”

“Why not? What’s the price?” Yuuki answered while Alice was comfortably laying in her arms.

“I-If I can work for you, that is a great enough honor.”

“If you say so. It’s generally going to be quite simple however: if you can tell me a good reason to buy something, I’ll pay for it.” The majestic and magnificent high priestess resumed petting the cozy wolf-kin’s head while humming in a soft tone.

“If you say you want something, she’ll count that as a ‘good reason’. Just thought I’d let you know.” Igraine winked at her and let go, deciding to go back to looking at all the different clothes in the room. Rose began closing the shop, which mainly consisted of pulling down the window blinds and turning a sign to ‘closed’.

“E-Excuse me, shouldn’t we find somewhere to sleep?” Cassandra interjected quietly after nothing really happened for a few minutes.

“What? And miss out on all the partying? Come on, girl, the night is when life really starts in these southern cities. We’re just waiting for the Sun to set.” Igraine said, a grin-like smile on her face.

As she said, when the Sun finally set everyone stopped what they were doing and stretched a bit before heading out through the door. Cassandra was hesitant to leave in her new clothes, but got over it when she didn’t want to stay alone.

17