Chapter 29
335 3 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The changes between day and night in the city were, well, day and night. The normally calm city became much more lively. Stalls were on every road, selling foods, playing music, there was even a circus on a larger square that set up some carnival games. The air was filled with the scent of freshly cooked meat, sweets and alcohol. The sound of sizzling oil, chatter and music would’ve made it near impossible to sleep in thin-walled houses.

The group walked out onto the crowded and well lit streets of the city, taking in the scenery most of them weren’t used to. Rose typically slept during the night, not partying as she didn’t have any friends to party with. Yuuki had seen the commotion through her many eyes before, she hadn’t experienced it before in person.

“What should we do?” Yuuki addressed the group.

“Eat spicy food.” Said Alice quickly, already salivating from the smells in the air.

“Go shopping.” Said Igraine, her eyes sparkling from all the small accessories, knickknacks and baubles.

“If we go play some of those games, we can win free food and trinkets.” Said Rose, thinking about all the amusing and absurd things her companions would most likely do. Normally those little games on the streets were all stacked against the players, but she had a feeling that the people she was with were not exactly normal.

The group unanimously decided to head to the carnival, following after Rose. The game with the shortest line to it was a high striker. There were three choices in hammers, one for children, one for adults and one for the circus strongman who demonstrated that it was possible. Of course, anyone was allowed to try and use the heaviest hammer, they were simply unlikely to lift it. The contestants in front of them tried and failed, some more spectacularly than others, until there was no one else in front of them.

“Alright, who’s next?” Asked the bald and overly muscly man with a friendly smile.

Igraine looked at all the prices laid out on a desk next to the tower and rubbed her hands with a large grin on her face. Placing a single copper coin on the table, she grabbed the heaviest hammer and, while not as easily as the strongman could’ve, lifted it above her head and struck the lever. The heavy metal ball went up and up, but stopped short of the top and fell back down.

“You’re a strong one, missy! You didn’t quite get it, but you can still pick one thing from the table.” The guy seemed genuinely impressed, if a little shocked. Igraine chose a pair of earrings that looked like pearls.

“Wanna take a turn, Cass?” Alice asked the shy girl, who was taken off guard both with the nickname, and being talked to in general.

Cassandra walked over to the table and placed a copper coin on it as well. Seeing the encouraging smiles, she collected herself and grabbed the heaviest hammer, lifting it high in one motion.

“Be carefu-” the strongman was about to warn her, but stopped mid sentence as the lever was struck and the ball hit the bell at the top of the tower. He stared in surprise for a second, before his smile widened and slapped her shoulder lightly. “Where are you hiding all your muscles?” He asked while chuckling. “Well, pick any five trinkets that catch your eye.” He took his hand back from the blushing girl and looked at Rose, Alice and Yuuki. “With how things are escalating, the next one of you might break something.” He gave a hearty laugh, clearly intending it to be a joke, but Yuuki’s blank expression, Rose’s concerned one and Alice’s sly grin made him end his laugh, as he coughed in his hand.

The wolf-kin placed down two gold coins on the table and grabbed the heaviest hammer with one hand. “In case it breaks.” She winked at the strongman before swinging the hammer as if it were a toy. Sure enough, the lever broke, but not before giving enough energy to the piece of metal to crash into the bell, deforming it and getting stuck in there.

Alice walked over to the table and instead of grabbing any trinkets, she got five food coupons she could exchange for full-meals. Igraine was currently helping Cassandra pick out trinkets that complimented her looks.

Yuuki’s eyes glowed brightly as the ball and the bell separated, undoing the dents in both, while the lever floated up and repaired itself.

“Will you also take a turn?”

“Do I need to?” Her tone was one of absolute confidence. While she did not enjoy being feared, the awe spectators looked at her and her companions was much different, and actually felt good.

“I don’t want the circus to be charged for damaging the road so you both count as winners, just in case.” The man said while scratching the back of his head.

Yuuki took five food coupons and Roselle gave five trinkets to Igraine.

The next event the group went to try their “luck” with was hoop throwing. This one could actually be passed off as luck, or simple good aim, but all five of them nailing every five throws did stand out. Rose was very dexterous due to her profession, Igraine was also quite accurate with throwing weapons, Cassandra used magic to cheat a bit, Alice and Yuuki…. were Alice and Yuuki.

Similar results were found after various other games that included the need to aim. After raiding five more stalls in such a manner, Igraine was finally happy with the amount of trinkets she had. The group decided to call it quits, as they were starting to draw a lot of attention. People trailed behind them, cheering them on, calling them the “queens of the carnival”. The circus people weren’t too bothered, while they did lose money by them playing, they also attracted more attention and made more people try their luck, so the result was net positive for them.

Leaving to go to the eatery, Yuuki and Alice had 25 coupons each, which meant 25 full course meals. Cassandra also collected 5, and gave one to Rose and Igraine each. The group somewhat expected them to take the coupons and turn them into a publicity stunt by giving away free meals, the reality was…. different. Rose and Igraine ate one meal each, in around twenty minutes, like normal people. Cassandra ate three, which was a bit unusual, but not too much for those that also saw her at the high strike. Yuuki and Alice ate their 25 extra spicy meals in a little over eight minutes before they got up and said they’d be back with more. They, in fact, did come back with thirty more each, and turned them in for food as well. The reaction from onlookers ranged from horror to amusement. After finishing their meals, they left the carnival grounds, and the swarm around them slowly dissipated.

Rose, while still not used to the insanity of the group, she was quickly getting used to it.

Igraine didn’t care much as long as she got lots of clothes, food and a comfortable place to stay.

Cassandra already spent six years in the same classes as Yuuki, she wasn’t too surprised by her antics anymore.

Alice had spent the better part of her life by Yuuki’s side, so she only knew what she did was so unusual, because Yuuki herself had told her so.

Yuuki was Yuuki.

 

Hope the cutoff isn't too sudden, but I need my sleep. See you tomorrow!

20