Chapter 30
310 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Where should we go now?” Asked Yuuki. She was enjoying herself so far, and she had no qualms about staying up through the entire night.

“We could go to the lighthouse. It has a really beautiful view of the city.” Said Rose, reminiscing about all the times she had gone there in her childhood.

Out of everyone there, Cassandra seemed the most tired, but even she was really excited about the view.

“And after that, we go and get wasted.” Said Igraine in a sleepy tone.

“Lead the way.” Alice said, who was completely awake.

Rose led them through increasingly empty roads, until they exited the city and got to the ocean. The beach behind them was crowded and lively, while the lighthouse they were going towards was a single tower, its lower half almost completely obscured by darkness, while its top stood out like a star in the night sky, providing ships with knowledge of where they were. The cool winds, the soft sand beneath their feet and the rhythmic sound of waves were all very calming. The moon would peak through the clouded skies every so often, but it was quite dark.

When they got to the lighthouse, Rose knocked on the door. It was opened by an old man, most likely in his eighties.

“Well, well. If it ain’t the young Roselle. ‘s been a while.” He spoke quietly and slowly, although that was simply due to having trouble breathing. At a simple glance, Yuuki could tell that he had around a month or two left without anything short of divine intervention.

“Good evening, mister Lorenzo, it certainly has. May we go to the top?”

“Interested in the view, eh?” He chuckled as he looked through Rose’s companions. “Well, come on then, don’t want to wait until sunrise, do we.” He said as he left the door open and began climbing the stairs. Despite his old age, he held a surprisingly ‘normal’ pace, by what could only be willpower, and a disregard for joint pain. The group walked behind him, not wanting to disrespect him by cutting ahead. The staircase ended and they were all greeted by a view not many could experience. Standing well over sixty meters tall, the lighthouse gave them a clear view of the city below them, and the silhouettes of the surrounding areas.

Rose looked out, and was looking happily at the city, the view just as beautiful as she’d remembered.

Igraine mainly enjoyed the breeze that was stronger here, freshening her up a bit.

Cassandra had flown before, but that was a lifetime ago. She’d forgotten how much she enjoyed being high up, which was funny considering she was supposed to have perfect memory.

Alice was taught to fly by Yuuki and had seen similar landscapes before, but that didn’t mean she didn’t enjoy looking out over the railing.

Yuuki was a bit further from the rest of the group, her long white hair drifted weightlessly to the side in the wind. She looked, at nothing in particular, her eyes unfocused. Her expression was somber, almost bitter.

They stood there, wordlessly, taking in the scenery before them, before Igraine let out a deep yawn.

“Well, I’m off to hit the bed.” She said, rubbing her eyes.

“We don’t have a place to stay, remember?” Cassandra said, pouting.

“You can stay at my place. Probably will be a bit cramped.” Rose said.

“We’ll take it. It’d be rude to decline, after all.” Alice quickly said, before Yuuki could tell them she could teleport them all home.

“Back down we go…” Igraine was not thrilled about having to go down a steep staircase, while tired.

The rest of them followed, but Yuuki, as the last one on the platform, was stopped by the old man.

“Are you alright?” He asked.

“Why wouldn’t I be?”

“The last person I saw looking off like that jumped.” He said, concern visible in his eyes.

“I’d be fine even if I did.” Yuuki answered, doing her best to conceal her emotions, and walked past the man.

After they made their way to the bottom of the tower and said goodbye to the old man, they began walking back to the city. Alice grabbed Yuuki’s hand, as they were trailing behind the group and whispered quietly so only she could hear it.

“Talk to me. What was that?” Her eyes were completely focused on Yuuki’s, who, for the first time since they’ve met, couldn’t get herself to make eye contact.

“You know how I said I don’t remember anything before going through my training?” Alice nodded, so she continued. “I got a flashback. It was hazy, but I remember standing on the edge of a tall building like that before. I… remember being alone, lost and sad. I remember looking down. I don’t remember feeling any fear. Just… anticipation for relief. I don’t even remember why I chose not to jump.”

Alice listened with a saddened expression before she hugged Yuuki tightly.

“Don’t worry, this is just the aftereffect of those memories. I quite enjoy this life so far. Mainly thanks to you.” She hugged Alice back, feeling a bit guilty for making her worried.

“If you ever want to talk about you feelings, I'm here for you, alright?“ Yuuki nodded slightly. “Come on, let’s catch up before they decide to go to a pub and get drunk.” Alice sped up, without letting Yuuki’s hand go.

The group made their way to Rose’s home, which was just the upper floor of her shop, and changed to their pajamas separately.

“So, who will sleep on the bed?” Asked Rose, seeing as it was only large enough to make room for one person. “I have other mattresses.”

With a snap of Yuuki’s finger, the bed disappeared and the floor was covered in a thick, soft mattress, with dozens of differently sized pillows and blankets also appearing..

“That should be enough for us all.”

Igraine exclaimed happily plopped down, grabbed a large pillow and put it below her head. Yuuki and Alice went to the corner and lied down, cuddling each other closely. Cassandra wrapped herself in a blanket like a cocoon and fell asleep instantly. Rose Went to where her bed had been, and fell asleep there.

20