Chapter 41
269 2 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was noon by the time Rose had finished the clothing for Amanda and went to ask Helen to kindly stop wasting her time. What she found was everyone sleeping. Yuuki in particular was sleeping three times at once. She stood at the door, not amused. Her normal daily routine involved her getting up by sunrise and going to bed by sundown. This group’s schedule was: ‘let’s do whatever we want because we’re absurd and we don’t need sleep ha ha’. Or, at the very least, that was Rose’s inner monologue as she stared with slight envy at the sleeping figures.

Leaving the room, she began packing her things to get ready for when she’d have to leave the city. There was the sound of a bell as three people entered the shop. It was Sam, Gus and Jack, one of the elves in their group.

“Good day, I hope it’s not a bother, but we came to deliver the list.” Sam said politely as he pulled out a folded piece of paper from one of his pockets.

“She’s currently asleep. Good luck trying to-” “Hello.” Rose was cut off by Yuuki appearing right next to her. While she didn’t scream, she was startled. She was about to fall on her back before Yuuki caught her in a movement so quick it wasn’t visible.

“Are you alright?”

Jack had a smug smile on his face as he elbowed Gus. “Maybe you could learn a thing or two from her, that was smooth.” The only reply was a killing glare.

Rose was blushing heavily as she stood back up on her feet and took a moment to recuperate before walking off.

“I brought the list.” Sam said as she approached slowly.

“Hmmm? Oh yeah, the list. Gimme.” She took a moment to read it all. “Sword that has flames erupt from it and yells obscenities every time you swing it?” She looked at the three men. Sam had a disappointed look, Gus rolled his eyes while Jack had a half grin on his face. “Sure. I’ll have everything by midnight. Don’t worry, I know where you live.” There was a sly smile on her face that was slightly unsettling. The three of them did leave however just in time not to hear...

“Alice, you little…. ugh!” Rose came back storming after she realized that the Yuuki she saw was her ‘old’ form. As in… the one she had less than a day ago. She was furiously marching towards Alice, who quickly reverted to her new form.

“Yes, Roselle? Finish the sentence.” She stared Rose in the eye, which caused her to stop dead in her tracks. There was no malice in her voice, no anger on her face. The temperature in the room did not drop, and she felt nothing unusual weighing on her. She was simply scared. Scared that Alice might be angry. It was terrifying. It reminded her that these beings she went out drinking a day ago were forces to be reckoned with, no matter how easygoing they were. She began shaking as she was scared that she might actually die.

“Alice, no bullying Rose. Or at least not this much.” Yuuki said as she appeared behind Rose and wrapped her in a hug.

“Yeah, sorry about that, I did not know she was this scared of us though.” She said apologetically as she approached slowly. “But you did.”

“Yes.” Came the short statement. Yuuki had Rose sitting in her lap as she was using a very small amount of her aura to calm her down a bit.

Rose looked between the two of them, but eventually she settled down.

“I’m sorry. I know it’s rude to be so scared of you after you’ve done nothing but be kind, it’s just… I feel so powerless around you.” She confessed with teary eyes.

Alice couldn’t help but smile. A gentle smile so incredibly warm that Rose felt entranced by it. “You are more powerful than almost anyone in this city. It’s not as direct as destroying a mountain with a flick of a finger, but rather with a few words to either of us.”

Rose wiped her tears a bit as she rested her head against Yuuki. “I wouldn’t mind the former though.” She said with a small chuckle.

“I do plan on teaching you and everyone else magic. Mystra previously asked me not to teach others what I knew, but I can teach anyone associated with the church, which will include you.” Yuuki said as she stroked the shopkeepers hair gently.

“Teach? I’m too lazy for thaaat~. Isn’t there anything more instant?” She complained jokingly.

“You wouldn’t want it. Power like that doesn’t come without strings attached.” Yuuki said grimly while Alice rolled her eyes slightly.

“Now I’m curious.” Rose said, distancing herself a bit to look the kitsune in the eyes. Instead, it was Alice who spoke up.

“If you create a soul corridor between the two of you, she will make you absurdly powerful instantly, but it will mean you will forever be bound to her. And I do mean forever. This life and all the rest.” Alice said, smiling. “Naturally, I saw no downsides to this and still don’t, but for some reason she likes to act as though she’s infringing on my freedom even though I chose it.”

“Just because you haven’t changed your mind yet doesn’t mean you never will.” Yuuki argued.

“Really? Then why don’t you just treat me incredibly well so I never will have any reason to dislike being around you? Oh… wait… you already do.” Alice rebutted.

“Should I be here for this? This sounds personal.” Rose said awkwardly as she was sitting on thighs as wide as her waist. She felt a bit like a child sitting on her mother’s lap.

“It’s fine. So, why were you packing?” Yuuki asked.

“For when we’re leaving?”

“You don’t need to pack it, I’ll teleport it all at once. This way you’ll have to unpack it all as well. It’s a waste of time.”

“Oh yeah… By the way, what’s up with all the sleeping you do? Isn’t it wasteful?”

“We have time to spare, we don’t age. Igraine might, but it’s quite slow as well. She has some elven blood in her.” Seeing the jealousy on Rose’s face, Yuuki continued. “Like Alice said, if you want something, you can just ask. Would you like to stop aging?”

Rose was wide-eyed and she had to bite back a ‘You can do that?’ because she knew the answer already. She never thought about the possibility seriously before. After thinking for a few moments she ran into a problem that she chose to say out loud. “That would mean that I will die an unnatural death instead.”

“You’ll receive training from me and you’ll have thousands of years to refine it at least, so I assure you, you won’t unless you want to. An impossible occurrence remains impossible even with time stretching into eternity.”

“Will I be like you?” Rose asked, not knowing what answer she really wanted to hear.

“Possibly. That part will be up to you, whether you’ll choose to pursue power and knowledge even further than what I’ll impart. You will be given the tools to decide for yourself.”

There was a pause. “Can I wait before I give an answer?”

“Of course.”

“Even if it’s at my deathbed?”

“Yes. Even in another life, should we meet again. I'll wait patiently.”

18