Chapter 47 Ifrit PoV
239 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ifrit stood at the door of a great building, a newly built church dedicated to Mystra. New, as in it has been here for a few days at most. He waited around a bit, trying to probe into the building with his magical senses, but failed. 'Curious.'

“Come in.” Said a welcoming voice from the inside. It was feminine, and it was very pleasant to the ears.

“Door’s locked.” He replied, carefree.

“Yes. Locked, not sealed.”

He couldn’t help but chuckle, he hasn’t even stepped in and has been found out. Not that he was ever that good at hiding his presence or identity. He decided to show off a bit and entered through the cracks as flame before forming back together. Inside, he saw a great hall that was empty. What stood out immediately was the ceiling with its marvelous starry sky look. He looked at his host. She was a kitsune of unnatural beauty. She was more beautiful than even the other spirits he had met with. Her entrancing violet eyes, smooth skin, and form fitting priestess outfit made him stare even if just for a split second. She also had… nine tails? 'Curiouser and curiouser.' Realizing he stood in silence for too long perhaps, he decided to introduce himself.

“Ah, where are my manners?” He said theatrically as he bowed deeply. “I am but a humble traveler who got word that there was a new church founded. I just had to check it out, I do hope I’m not interfering with anything?” He knew he was smirking, but he couldn’t help it. He found interacting with mortals very amusing, but at the same time, he had respect for them despite their shortcomings.

“Is that so?” She let out a small chuckle. “Well then, traveler, welcome to the Church of Mystra. We’re still setting things up, but I hope it’s not too disappointing.”

“Oh, no it’s quite the sight.” He said, diverting his attention and looking around so she wouldn’t take it as flirtation. “I saw her statue in the Church of The Gods. Was that your work as well?”

“Did you like it?” She sounded very happy, her warm smile giving him a sense of incredible calmness.

“Oh, yes it was wonderful. Truly breathtaking, sometimes I feel that…” He cut himself short and looked to the side before continuing. “That people are such incredible beings, capable of things one would assume impossible. Art, perseverance, bravery. I truly admire those who hone their craft with such drive.” He said with complete honesty. He found mortals fascinating, oftentimes preferring them to his fellow spirits, not that he would ever admit it. While their limited lifespans demoralized some of them, others rose up against the current of time as if to spite fate itself, oftentimes resulting in legacies that would turn them immortal in a way.

“I’m afraid I must disappoint. I’m no artist, I just recreated truthfully what I saw.” His guest said with some sadness. This caused Ifrit’s mind to race with possibilities. Has the most mysterious and secluded deity really shown herself to this mortal? It would be beyond strange, but not impossible. If it were true, this mortal could prove dangerous.

He masked his worries with a smile as he turned to face his host and got to the real reason behind his visit. “I am searching for anything out of the ordinary currently, things out of place. Would you happen to know where I can find such things?”

“What is the nature of these anomalies? It might help narrow things down.” She asked helpfully.

“The sort that shakes the world. The sort someone like you would know of I assume.” He said, turning a bit more serious. He had to remind himself that he wasn’t simply here to enjoy. He needed to find clues, to find out what the world may be up against.

“…Take my advice, the sort that shakes the world is not the sort you wish to meddle with.” She said, with just a hint of concern in her eyes. This took him off guard. Hadn’t she already figured out his identity? Clearly, that was not the case, which meant she couldn’t help him most likely.

He raised an eyebrow before looking at the floor. “How disappointing, and I thought you could see through me.” There was a bitter smile on his face. 'It seems this had been a waste of time, huh.'

“Take my advice Ifrit. Drop it.” Her expression hardened as she stared him down. He raised his eyes to meet hers and felt something strange. Almost like something was crawling up his back, weighing him down. It was fear. There was no aura she projected, no magic imbued in her voice. She simply looked at him as if she were a hungry beast and he was a piece of meat thrown to her. To say it was unnerving was an understatement. But he steeled his nerves. She was dangerous, that much was clear, but that just meant she could be useful.

“You do know what’s going on.” He said as he began walking toward her. “Tell me.”

She did not budge “Your kind made a pact with the gods a long time ago-”

“And if they don’t tell us what’s going on in the world, I will break it! Do you think it’s a game?” He shouted in frustration. It was clear she, and as such extension the deities, knew the world was in danger, and yet she refused to give him information or help. He stopped a few steps from the priestess. “There is something out there that is a danger to the world. Hell was destroyed by something before, what if it has come for us next?” He looked at her, waiting for an answer.

“I assure you, as long as people don’t give me reason to, I won’t destroy the world. Now leave.” Her cold voice shook him, but the implication of her words almost made him faint. He was staring down what he had been searching for all this time. There was regret, he now realized that he was a fool for trying to find her, for he could do nothing. There was fear, for he knew he would die. But there was also anger. Anger that was greater than the fear of death. Anger that burned deep in his soul. Anger that cried for revenge for his slaughtered people.

He took a step back before clenching his fists. “You’re the one who killed my predecessor.”

“She joined the demon’s side after she was convinced I was a greater threat. If she hadn’t attacked first, she’d be alive.” She showed no emotion, no hostility.

“Yes, being brash is the greatest flaw of us fire spirits.” He mused while looking at Yuuki with hatred. “But know that I would do this even if I had all the time in the world to think it over.” In reality, that was a lie. He truly wished he had stayed home, or taken her advice and left without prying. But it was too late, and he would not turn back now. There was just no way she would not stop him from leaving with what he knew. Flames hotter than the surface of the Sun engulfed him as he rushed to attack the priestess.

She raised her hand and with a single flick the fires were extinguished and he lost his momentum. He was confused. His senses were restricted, he could still see and hear and touch but it was different. He felt weak, he felt slow, he felt… mortal. He looked at his enemy as her eyes pierced holes into his very existence. He almost collapsed then and there from shock. He knew he was outmatched in pure power, but this just shouldn't be possible. Not unless she was a deity or at least close to it. And if she was, death would be a mercy for him.

Instead of attacking or casting any further spells like he expected, her cold expression softened from a killer one to a merely annoyed one. She lowered her hand and averted her gaze. “Alice!” She yelled.

Her change of behavior confused him, but he did not have much time to think about it as he felt a wave of searing pain travel through his head. And like that, the world went dark.

So, was this good, should there be more like it?
  • Yes, but only on weekends. (More chapters/week this way I guess, but it's just one of them twice.) Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Make proper chapters from it instead and give a bit more background. Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Don't waste your time, no point in writing the same thing twice. Votes: 3 12.5%
Total voters: 24
16