Chapter 51
256 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arthur was lazing in the ice cold water, disregarding the fact that the fall he had just taken would’ve killed most people, that the cold would have killed most people and that he was still wearing clothes in this makeshift bath. In short order, the two reasons for his jump also made their way to the frozen harbor.

“You know, maybe my first order of business should be introducing saunas. Might help people build up some more resistance to cold and become healthier in general.” Arthur joked as he angled his head back to stare at the cloudy sky.

“Catch.” Yuuki said as she lobbed a bottle to the prince, who caught it.

“Finnish vodka? How in he-, you know what? Thanks.” He took a swig as he deflated a bit, clearly enjoying himself.

“You’re a horrible influence.” Igraine said with narrowed eyes.

Yuuki shrugged. “If drinking’s the worst thing he learns from me, I’d call it a victory.”

“Yes, yes, you’re a horrible person, we know.” Arthur rolled his eyes slightly, but knew the vixen would notice.

“You disagree?” Yuuki asked curiously.

“You’re joking, right?” He turned to look her in the eye. “Ask anyone around you that question. Cassandra, your father, anyone. They’ll say you’re a good person.”

“They do not have an objective viewpoint.”

“NO ONE DOES! There is no objective good, or objective bad. According to you, you did things that I would not agree with, or would not call ‘good’. But currently, as far as I’ve seen you act, you’re a good person. In my humble opinion, of course.” He bowed his head slightly as if finishing a speech and finished the rest of the bottle.

Yuuki narrowed her eyes as if contemplating something while Igraine rubbed her back gently.

“He’s right, you know.” She said with a warm smile.

“I’ll keep it in mind.” Yuuki said hesitantly.

“Good.” Arthur quickly jumped out of the water and dried himself using magic. “Ah, before I forget, my fire magic got stronger, as in, more than doubled. What’s up with that?”

“I resurrected the previous fire spirit monarch.” Yuuki answered, beginning to realize what she just said was not normal.

“…Cool. So, I actually thought of something: would you be willing to create a book on basic enchanting techniques that could be used as a sort of school curriculum?”

“Naturally. I can streamline other subjects as well if you wish.”

“Hmmm… wait, could you open up a school that’s associated with your church?”

“After I legitimize you formally during a ceremony that will take place at the start of spring, where you will be named crown prince, you will, if you so choose, be crowned by me personally once you inherit the throne. Should you choose to do so, I’d have more freedom to openly support you.”

“Are there any downsides?” He asked with a raised eyebrow.

Igraine just smiled as she ignored the talk about politics and wrapped herself in Yuuki’s tails.

“I could take power away from you at any given moment.”

“Any downsides that are likely to surface?”

“None that I can think of.”

“Nice, I’ll definitely pick that option then. Maybe open some public libraries as well. So, when will you drop by again?”

“Not for another week, I’ll have a birthday party to attend. While I could be in multiple places, I’ve been told that would be somewhat rude.”

“Your birthday, right? Have a good one, you deserve it.” Arthur gave a bright smile as he walked over to Yuuki and gave her a hug. He then hugged his mother and walked back towards the castle.

 

--

 

“Yes. No, that-... Yes. No. No. Oh, for the love of all that is holy, Dreg, just drop it. No, she’s not.” Jack was busy talking to one of his colleagues over a communications spell array. He was beyond annoyed. Yes, Yuuki is no longer spying for them. BECAUSE SHE’S THE HIGH PRIESTESS OF MYSTRA! Seriously, he sometimes felt like he was surrounded by toddlers. A perception that was amplified by the fact that he was older and more competent than anyone around him in the workplace. Which also explained why he always had so much work to do. He was not just pulling his own weight, but everyone else's as well.

He sighed as he cut the magic off while the garrut was still talking. He imagined the red skinned man turn even redder from anger, which made him chuckle.

“Hi dad.” Yuuki appeared out of nowhere in his office. Which was standard procedure by now.

“Good to see you. How’d the vacation go?” He stood up and wrapped her daughter in a hug. “Also, what’s up with the tails?”

“The vacation was good. I modified the self image of my soul and therefore my body as well. Alice wanted many tails and Mystra suggested nine. Also, I have a girlfriend now.”

Jack listened with interest to the condensed story before he had a warm smile on his face. “I’m happy for you. Naturally, she’s welcome to the party as well.”

“Ah, about that. How much work do you have for the next two weeks?”

“About this much.” He pointed at about the middle of the paper stack on his table. “Why?”

Yuuki’s eyes flashed ever so faintly as she smiled. “No reason. See you on Tuesday!” She did not wait for a response and disappeared.

Jack began reading through the papers, and saw that each of them had been completed, with other notes and papers being attached to condense the information on the reports and what Yuuki wrote as the recommended course of action in response. He could barely contain his laughter.

 

--

 

“Come on, it’ll be fine.” Yuuki tried to calm Igraine. “They’re all very easygoing.”

“No offense, but I don’t know them and they’re some of the most powerful people on the planet, I think I’m right to be worried. I know you’re stronger, but still. There’s a reason there are so many folktales about kitsune.”

“I will protect you.”

“I know, I know. But come on, even if you know you’re safe, staring down a cliff is scary.”

“At worst, they will use their magic to make you feel more comfortable.”

Igraine let out a sigh. “Alright, let’s go.”

Yuuki squeezed her hand lightly and the two of them were no longer on the floating island.

 

I failed, it's no longer Friday for me. Potato sad.

16