Chapter 54
227 5 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the Sun began rising, the people in the hug pile that woke up were confronted with a problem. They could not get up without waking the people around them. Except that adult kitsune didn’t need sleep. So, they could theoretically sleep for days if they were comfortable enough. And they were very comfortable. In the end, they managed to get up a bit after noon, and continued the festivities. Large tables packed with different foods, mainly meat and sweets were brought out. Some people would sing, some would dance, some would even make paintings on the fly. All in all, it was getting less and less formal, and the feeling that they were all just family there began setting in more and more. Especially once the talks about their jobs were done and over with.

After the week was finished, everyone went on their way, except for the ones that lived at the mansion. Of course, Yuuki was flooded with different gifts she did not need but thanked, nevertheless.

Grandma Abigail gave her a necklace made from enchanted obsidian which would glow with a dim red light that she decided to add to her standard wardrobe. Yuuki was sitting on a couch in the living room with Hanae in her lap, Alice, and Eric next to her while their parents were sitting on separate armchairs. She was telling the condensed story of what she’s done so far, about the people she’s met, finally finishing with her improvised vacation.

“...and so, I resurrected her, and hopefully, they won’t do anything stupid.” She finished.

The others took a few moments to gather their thoughts, except for Alice, who was blissfully brushing Yuuki’s tails with her hands.

“That’s quite the story. I hope you don’t have too many plans for the future?” Her mother finally broke the silence.

“Well, I do need to write multiple books, advise Arthur on political and economic matters, make sure he doesn’t get assassinated, properly establish the church, found two schools at least, create a curriculum for both and find suitable teachers, experiment with the creation of different magical items and possibly begin mass producing them, research the creation of homunculi, release the remaining spirits that I killed, crea-” She was cut off by her mother’s fake cough. “… spend time with my family. The rest can wait… most of them can wait.” The fake cough returned with a vengeance, this time with double the glare. “Mom, I do have things to do. I can multitask quite well, so it won’t get in the way.”

Her mom let out a barely audible annoyed growl, which everyone in the room was able to hear clearly.

“Will Helen and Amanda be returning?” Her dad asked to change the subject.

“Yes, but I will continue giving them lectures. They are not too directly associated with the country, or at least don’t work for its government directly and as such can have ties to the church without problems.”

“Will you teach us as well?” Helen bounced with anticipation.

“Yes, but only after an official deal has been made with the country to establish a school and to share knowledge. Any more questions?” There were none. “In that case, it’s my turn. What are your plans? Aside from spending time together, which can be done during a number of different activities.”

“We could visit the capital city, maybe the forest and mountain around it?” Eric suggested.

“Yuuki doesn’t like city tours. Mainly ‘cause she already knows it all.” Alice chimed in.

“In that case, what would you prefer?” Jack asked Yuuki.

“Sleep, work and eat and cuddle when possible. That’s it, really.”

“Do you have any hobbies?” Her father was trying hard to come up with something.

“No. I do things with purpose because it feels good and I do things that feel good… actually, Alice said I should take up gardening.”

“Alright, in that case, how about seeing some landscapes?”

“It could work. But I don’t need to go anywhere to see it. I can see it all from here or anywhere else.”

“So your plan is to just stick around, hug, eat and sleep while you do work in other places?”

“Yes.”

“Wow. I know some older people have these problems that they are bored that they’ve already done everything, but you’re sixteen.” Eric said with a chuckle.

“Yes, I’ve noticed that most long lived races are incredibly lazy as a result.” Yuuki said without skipping a beat. “I do not experience boredom however, so it’s not the same. There are things I enjoy doing and there are things I’m indifferent toward.”

“Alright, in that case we can simply stay here for some time and talk. Have meals together, perhaps play some games together.” Jack, ever the problem solver, suggested.

“I can manipulate probability.”

“Cooperative games it is.”

 

--

 

“That should be the last one.” Sam let out a sigh as he rested his sword on his shoulder.

“These items are absurd.” Gus said what all of them were thinking.

“They sure are. If I had known the limits were as high as they were, I would’ve asked for more.” A dwarf chimed in as he marveled at his new warhammer.

The group of monster slayers for hire were collecting bounties left and right. They were slowly making their way to their destination but came across a small group of manticores. They wouldn’t normally be willing to fight them, the monsters weren’t strong, but they were deadly. One bad move would cause an inescapable and painful death, but with a self-refilling flask of healing elixir, it was a different story. Well… not that the manticores managed to land a single hit on anyone before being butchered.

“Alright, let’s get a move on. We still have ground to cover before nightfall.”

After collecting some poison from the monsters, they left the rest to rot and made their way to a cave where they set up camp.

“Who’ll take the first shift?” Sam asked, but the rest of his group wasn’t paying attention to him. He turned around and sure enough, the reason was there.

“Good evening, I believe you’ve had some time to get used to your new equipment. Are there any complaints, or any requests?” Yuuki stood there, at a moderate distance, so she wouldn’t scare anyone too much by appearing.

“My sword only says swear words in a language none of us know.”

“It’s Russian. Would you like to learn it?” Yuuki asked with an obviously fake smile.

“I won’t ask you to remove it.”

“The majority of the sentences are about how small the wielder’s-”

“I’d like to ask you to remove it.”

“Done.” She said as she snapped her fingers. “Anything else?”

“Can we get something that summons mounts we could use? It would make travel a lot faster.” One of the elves asked.

Yuuki thought for a few seconds before she clenched one of her fists and unclenched it to reveal a whistle. “If you blow into it, mounts appropriate to your surroundings will be created from the ground around you. Think of them as temporary golems. In a grassland or sparse forest, it would be horses, in a river it’s large turtles, et cetera. Use it a second time to dismiss them. Also, it doesn’t work on a paved road or indoors.” She lobbed the silvery whistle to the elf.

“Can you create a bag of holding?” The dwarf asked.

“One.” Yuuki replied with narrowed eyes. “And don’t try to reverse engineer it. I’ll know and I’ll take it away.”

With no other requests, she lobbed a small pouch to the dwarf before she disappeared.

15