Chapter 58
208 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Yuuki?”

“Hmm?” Yuuki seemed preoccupied, but still looked at Alice.

“I don’t think taking shortcuts will work.” The wolf-kin had a sombre smile.

“Why wouldn’t it?”

“You brute forced your way through every word combination in multiple languages in less than a second. And yet you’re still not done with this.”

“I’m making progress.” Yuuki diverted her gaze, fully focusing on the task at hand.

“Clinging on to false hope is not like you.”

“…”

“That’s enough. I wish there was a better way, I wish there was a way for it to be easier on you. But you won’t be able to heal overnight. If you could, you would have already found a way. We’ll help you every step of the way, no matter how long it may be.”

Plants began withering away and turning to dust with Yuuki at its epicentre. The area continued to expand until Yuuki was pulled into a tight hug.

“You said it yourself that we have an eternity. There is no need to hurry if it means it might make things worse. Just steadily make things better.” Alice tried to calm her down.

There was no response, but at least no more plants around them withered. As Yuuki looked around, it was only now that she noticed that her plan to fall asleep and let her subconscious create the garden. There were trees with vibrantly colored leaves, cyan grass and beautiful flowers that were ultraviolet. And now there was a patch of bare dirt in the middle.

“You are making progress. Even if you don’t think so. Don’t worry so much.”

“How many books did you read on psychology?” Yuuki asked with an unreadable voice.

“Well, a cup-all of them.” Alice replied, hoping to lift the mood a little with a joke.

“There was a nice lady who tried to help me. Before I… became that thing. You remind me of her a bit. Always positive, just trying to help. Hiding your own problems to help others. I used to hate her, but maybe… oh well.” There was a melancholy in her voice as she stared off into the distance.

“What happened to her?”

“No idea. Most likely died in the war or not much after it.”

“I see…”

“Ah well, I don’t have much to complain about right now, my life is around as good as it could get.”

“Just because it’s worse for others doesn’t mean your problems are not important.”

“I know, but you don’t really care about anyone’s problems unless it’s me.” Yuuki said with a raised eyebrow and a smirk. Alice gave her a flat look. “Listen, I can only stay sassy for the next few minutes, so I’m making the most of it.”

“I was extremely lonely, and you took me in. Of course, I’ll be very attached to you.”

“You’re doing it wrong. You’re supposed to be the adorable one. And I’m supposed to be the composed and logical beep boop pi squared minus the root of e is 8.2208-”

“You rubbed off on me.”

“Yeah. And when you had a stomachache, I rubbed it.”

“Dad jokes?”

“Dad doesn’t make jokes. He’s too serious for that.”

“I think he’s just too tired, being surrounded by idiots will do that to you.”

“Oh, don’t I know it.”

“That’s not very nice.” Alice overacted being offended before breaking into a smile.

“Yeah, that’s what all those people I killed said too.”

“I think we should stop.” Despite having said this, Alice was laughing.

“Are you afraid dark humor won’t please the gods or something?” Yuuki also chuckled.

“Not really, but if we get back while crying from laughter, everyone will think we’re weirdos.”

“They already think we’re weirdos. Especially you. Mainly you. I’m normal.”

“If you hadn’t made it extra sturdy, the sky would’ve fallen down from you saying that.”

“Oh, out of time.” Yuuki’s wide smile became a lot less apparent. “That was nice. I felt more... free”

“Now you know what you’re working towards.”

“The ability to make jokes unrestrained? Sounds good to me.” Yuuki got up and pulled Alice up with her. “Come on, we’ll be late to dinner.”

“Will there be ice cream?”

“Yes.”

“Alright, let’s go.”

 

-- PoV ???

 

Where was he? It was a dimly lit room, and he was… what was he? What was he supposed to be? He did not know the answer to either of those questions but felt like the answers were different. He knew things but had no reason to do so. He was just born, was he not?

“Oh wow, it was really easy.” He saw a white feminine figure, which sent shivers down his spine. It was a strange mix of fear and attraction. The voice and body were beautiful. And yet for some reason, he feared it. He feared what it might bring. Pain and death. “Hello?”

“Hello. Who are you?” It took a lot of willpower to muster that much.

“My name is Yuuki. I am your… creator? Modifier. Sort of. I’ll explain later, for now I need you to answer some questions. Do you know who and what you are?”

He was confused. But still, he felt like answering is necessary if he wants to live. “No. I’m… a fighter? Hunter, maybe. There’s something with fire?”

“Alright, do you know who I am?”

“Aside from what you said? Not really. I am scared of you, but that’s about it.”

“Okay, that’s a lot less than I thought you would have. Well, at least you’re not attacking me, which is a good sign.” She continued talking, which caused him to look around awkwardly. “Anyway, basically, you used to be a demon, but I killed you, and I made a deal with Mystra that I wouldn’t be releasing the demons I killed and brainwashing them, so instead I copied one’s core and modified that, and that’s you.”

It was a lot of information, but he understood the gist of it. “Why?”

“Because when I was a little girl I dreamt of leading the armies of hell to destroy the world. I was a strange child. Now I’m a strange grownup. Basically, I need an army I can pull out of thin air that is powerful enough that I don’t need to worry about casualties and can act independently.”

He had many questions. “Why would you need that?”

“Because if I would be the one fighting, chance is that I go overboard. Hence… you.”

“So, you created me to do your dirty work but gave me complete free will and a logical mind that values freedom instead of making me a mindless drone?” He did not understand this strange person. And the fact that she was his creator and yet did not force upon him any of her thought processes, making her seem more alien, confused him to no end.

“You don’t have to do what I tell you. You’re a free person and I won’t harm you if you choose to leave.”

“Why didn’t you at least create me with built in reverence or care for you?”

“Because life should start with a clean slate.” A bit of anger flashed over her face, which gave him the idea that he should really stop pushing the subject.

“Yuuki, did you resurrect a demon?” There was a new, different female voice coming from above.

“No.” She yelled back.

“The heck is that then?”

“A demon I made, not resurrected.” The yelling between the two continued, while he was feeling rather left out despite being the subject of the conversation.

“Wait, are you its mother?”

“That’s not how that works!”

“Are you sure? Where do demons and spirits come from, anyways?”

“Spontaneous magic discharge. They are born from magic.”

“But if it was your magic, aren’t you its mother?”

The one named Yuuki raised an eyebrow and turned to look at him. “Do you want me to be your mommy?”

Two loud facepalms echoed through the building. One came from him, while the other from the voice upstairs.

 

I realized I was really starting to write a drama, and I really don't want to write a drama because I really can't write drama. TL: DR more lighthearted, less philosophical things that are really subjective and are just me rambling at you for a chapter through characters. Well, that's what writing basically is, but you know what I mean.

Why did the police officers insist on taking a drug test on the potato? Because he was absolutely baked. This, and more jokes of similar horribleness coming soon.

15