Chapter 60
205 3 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A large crowd was waiting on the square outside the Church of the Gods in Estervale. The new high priestess of Mystra was to be officially accepted into the fold. The last time such an event had happened was thousands of years ago and as such no one, aside from the clergy members, had memory of it. They expected it to be a grandiose event, and they would not be disappointed. The event took place in the dead of night, the stars above were brightly shining. During this time, only the high priests would be allowed to participate as a part of the clergy, the rest had to observe as any other would.

The time hit midnight and the sky began pulsing. Each star got brighter only for a moment before the extra light moved away and began converging with the light from other stars. It got brighter and brighter, closer and closer until it touched the ground. The light was, in fact, the high priestess they have been waiting for to begin the ceremony. It dimmed ever so slightly so they would not be blinded by it, but it was still bright.

Yuuki was told not to wear her high priestess garb, instead wear what she would if she was to be born to her deity. This was supposed to be basic white sheets tucked around her with some emblem of her deity, symbolizing her new life serving under them. However, considering her power and already being more divine than mortal, Yuuki had asked Mystra what she should wear. This is what she received. A weave made of the vastness of space, the threads of magic, and the strings of fate. A cloth that was no less than the canvas upon which the world was placed. Borne unto the world from the light of the stars.

As grandiose as it was, Yuuki did think it made sense considering how Mystra was the oldest deity whose job was to keep reality from breaking. Yuuki herself took a form to closely resemble her goddess, her hair and tails becoming raven black with small specs of light that made it look like the night sky. Her violet eyes shone warmly and brightly, while wisps of mana floated away from her, dancing around the area like fireflies.

She walked across the square, the mesmerized crowd parting before her. The other high priests were able to keep their composure, albeit barely.

“Nice to see you all again. It’s been a while.” She smiled gently at the group of increasingly confused people.

‘Wait, wasn’t she a lot scarier?’ Was going through each of their minds. They walked into the large chamber and took their positions behind a table at the opposing side to the entrance. The crowd also entered the massive hall.

“Welcome all, thank you for coming. Today is a truly special day, as finally another god marks their presence in the world.” The high priestess of the goddess of light, Luciel said after standing up. There were cheers and applause that quieted down when Yuuki stood up.

“Thank you all for attending, but I’m afraid if you’re expecting blessings to be distributed, you’ll be disappointed.” This caused confused glances all around the chamber. “Mystra does not care for prayer, she does not care for being thanked. The Sun shines if you’re thankful or not all the same. She can’t give you blessings. Because there is no more to give.” With a bright flash of her eyes everyone was suddenly able to see the world as she had. To see magic, time, the fabric of reality, everything that caused them to be able to live the way they could for just a moment. “She does not heal. She does not protect. She can’t give you blessings because everyone is already blessed. Blessed with freedom. Blessed with a tool that comes with no strings attached. That is the nature of her unconditional love. Not for prayer, not for thanks, but because she can. And because she can, she chooses to put her faith in each and every one of you that you’ll use her gift for good. That you’ll use it to protect and to heal yourselves and others. Her church will not be a place of worship. It will be a house of knowledge where you can learn to use her gift. That is all.” As she finished her speech, wisps of light turned into incorporeal animals running and flying across the air above the crowd. The ones who came just to see a spectacle got their share. The ones who paid attention were submerged in thought. And those especially perceptive could see a single tear move down the cheek of Mystra’s statue.

 

--

 

“That was tiring.” Yuuki talked to herself, back in her room in the mansion, back looking as she normally would. She wanted some sleep after all that. It wasn’t even the planning or the magic use that tired her out, she just did not like being in crowds it seemed. Crowds of strangers at least.

“Thank you.” Mystra appeared in the room as she had not all that long ago once before.

“Did I say anything wrong?” Yuuki was rather confused because the goddess seemed about to cry.

“You did no such thing.” She chuckled as tears began flowing.

Yuuki dashed to hug the weeping figure. ‘Even the gods are just people it seems.’ she thought as she stroked her hair.

“We would be happy to see you at more dinners if you so choose. I know you’re busy, but I can help every so often. I am your priestess after all.”

“Wasn’t that just for that political thingy?” She asked while crying tears of joy.

“At first it was. But I do respect and care about you. And I do feel thankful for how much you’ve helped. Even if I haven’t shown it well.”

Mystra eventually calmed down and wiped her face. “Does that mean I can touch your tails?” It was a joke, but it did also seem like an honest question with some hopefulness.

“I’ll do you one better.” She warped the two of them into the living room. It was currently around noon here due to the difference in time zones. She had a large smile on her face as everyone turned to look at them. “Hug pile.”

“Nonono, wait!”

They did, in fact, not wait as they swarmed the two impossibly powerful beings and tackled them with the power of love, hugs, and fluff.

 

I hope the speech is at least decent, it's hard to have characters be charismatic when my social abilities are best described by my username. Is charisma writing speeches? Rhetoric? I don't know something of the sort. I'd be thankful for suggestions on making it better though. Alright, potato out! Byeeee!

15