Chapter 62
195 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Igraine yawned as she shifted in bed. She could feel the sunlight without opening her eyes but her pillow and blanket were just too soft. And warm. And patting her head. That wasn’t a pillow.

“Guh mohnin.” She mumbled as she did her best to fight her subconscious but not succeeding. She couldn’t even get her eyes to open. It was so cozy she could’ve spent days in such bliss.

“Good morning. Would you like to have breakfast or continue snuggling for now?” A soothing voice that clearly belonged to Yuuki asked. Igraine and her stomach wanted breakfast. The problem was that her arms and legs were on strike. “I can bring breakfast here if you’d like.”

Managing a weak nod, Igraine finally opened her eyes and began rubbing them. This did mean that she no longer had all four limbs hugging Yuuki, but sacrifices had to be made. She could already smell the breakfast which was on the nightstand next to them. She was far past questioning how it got there. Her guess was either portal, clone, or telekinesis.

“Do you want me to hug you while you eat?” There was another nod, so she helped Igraine sit upright and draped her arms and tails around her.

Igraine began peacefully eating, delighted by the fact that it was sweet, before slowly coming to a realization. “Today’s training day, right?” The hug got slightly tighter to prevent escape. That was all the confirmation she needed. “Well, actually my ankle kind hurts an-”

“I’ll heal it.” Her poor attempt at an excuse was quickly shot down.

Igraine finished her meal before trying to flop back in bed to hide under the blankets. Except the blankets were Yuuki’s tails. And as soft and fluffy and warm and smooth and soft and fluffy as they were, they would not serve as a great hiding place from Yuuki. Due to it being early in the morning, for her at least, she failed to realize that there was no such thing as a good hiding place from Yuuki. But the plan was flawed from the beginning as she could not escape the vixen’s grasp. She flailed like a fish on land but could get nowhere.

“There’s still more than an hour before the training begins, but you will be there. Even if I have to beat combat into you while you’re in pajamas.” As soft as her voice was, it was also incredibly menacing exactly because of the dissonance between what she said and how she said it. “Oh, by the way. Cassandra is going back to her church, Helen and Amanda have jobs, and Rose is busy sewing so it will only be you.”

That was a problem. A big one because it meant that she would be focused on a lot more. As much as she was determined to improve, Yuuki’s training methods, as effective as they were, were not something that should be legal. Using healing magic so you can beat someone up more times is just plain cruel. And effective. But cruel.

“I’ll dial it back a bit. And also won’t spend as much time training.”

Igraine relaxed her tensed muscles after hearing that and was placed laying on the bed. “You spoil me.” As much as she wanted to put on a sly smile, a genuine one shined through.

“Yes, I’d be a horrible pet owner. Or parent.” Yuuki said absentmindedly while stroking Igraine’s back.

“Don’t be so sure. Speaking of, how’s the family?”

“Oh, we’re playing cards with Mystra.”

“What.”

“What?”

--

The training was hellish. Rewarding, but hellish nonetheless. After soaking in a bath for nearly an hour, Igraine finally felt refreshed enough to go back to bed. Despite being in perfect condition due to healing magic, her joints felt as though they were going to start creaking like an old door. She moved to her bed to faceplant into it and so faceplant she did. In case there would ever be a faceplanting competition, she was already racking up quite a bit of practice. She buried herself in blankets, but as soft as they were, they just could not compare. Not to the supreme fluffiness that were Yuuki’s tails. It made her worry that she would not be able to enjoy rest without Yuuki anymore. She did not have to worry long as she felt a hand caress her back gently.

“Would you like a massage?”

“Oh, if I were a cat I’d start purring right about now. Yes please.” Igraine simply went limp while laying on her stomach while Yuuki cared for her joints and muscles.

“In a few hours there will be some family hunting, would you like to join?” She asked while massaging.

“If I’m invited, sure. But I’m pretty sure I’ll be a hindrance. I don’t have a kitsune’s eyes or ears or nose or legs, or any parts really. Anything you’d be hunting as a group would also probably be far too great a danger to me.” Igraine said while relaxing.

“We’re just hunting rabbits. Also, we’re not actually killing them, just catch and release. It’s more for a… hunting instinct thing? Great stress reliever apparently. At least for us.”

“Huh. What about rabbit-kin? Do you feel like giving them a chase?” The playfulness in her voice was clear, but Yuuki answered honestly nonetheless.

“Yeah, but I repress it. Why?”

This put Igraine off guard. “So if I put on fake bunny ears. Will you start chasing me like some lovestruck girl?” She was lightly teasing, but she was also genuinely curious.

“Talking from experience? And no. The few moments it would take to catch you could hardly be called a chase. You’ll be safe, but I can’t promise I won’t bite you.” Despite the strangeness of what she said, Yuuki was completely deadpan, not a thing she said meant anything other than its literal meaning. Igraine couldn’t decide if that made it better or worse.

“Noted.”

Igraine’s mental shopping list:
cupcakes
sweets
clothes
jewelry
fake bunny ears

 

Chapter on the shorter side, tomorrow's will be longer if the day goes as planned. Also, there is another thing I began writing which I mainly use to switch things up and scribble things down when I feel like writing, but can't think of anything for this story. Are you interested, or should I just keep it as my own stress relief? (Would not effect the upload schedule for this novel, it would be very sparsely updated) Oh, I guess I should at least say what it is: semi-generic isekai trash but kinda combined with some mythological elements that I like (I like mythology) and the characterisation similar to this novel which is either good or bad, up for you to decide. Not strictly low quality, but I'd say it's less "original" (if such a thing can even really exist with how many stories there already are) and I don't exactly know where it's going, so it might have some longer hiatuses where I try to figure it out. 

Do you want to see the other story?
  • Sure, let's see. Votes: 13 100.0%
  • Just keep it as writing practice. Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 13
10