Chapter 65
187 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Loud knocks were heard. “Yuuki!”

“Door’s open, Alice. Like always.” There was a bit of sass in her voice as she sat in a meditative position on the floor of her room. She did not move as Alice entered the room and raised an eyebrow with a smirk.

“You may have read a few too many books about arrogant noble ladies.”

“That’d be you. Though, the one I did read felt like too much already, so you may be right.” Though her tone was lighthearted and jovial, her face remained blank, her eyes closed.

“What’s going on?”

“For the past half a year, I’ve attended family activities, went on four dates with Igraine, done some gardening, helped Arthur begin to finalize his plans, solidified the deal with the Federation, and even helped Mystra with some magic anomalies.” She began listing her accomplishments matter-of-factly.

“I meant why are you sitting on the floor. But, on that topic, did you not enjoy it, what’s the problem?” Alice was worried, that much was clear even though she tried to hide it.

“I did enjoy it. These months have been by far the most enjoyable I have memory of. But I have not progressed in terms of… me. And zero progress is zero progress. Eternity or not.”

“So, what are you doing?” Alice sat down on the hard floor, facing Yuuki.

“What am I?” Yuuki asked simply and opened her eyes to look at Alice.

“Kitsune? The most powerful mortal to exist probably? High priestess?”

“No. My body, my power, and titles are not me. They are things that I am in the possession of.” She smiled. “What am I?”

“You are a good person.” Alice replied seriously.

“I am.” Yuuki’s expression turned soft as she beamed radiantly. It then hardened as it quickly changed to that of a predator watching its prey. “But also more.”

“That isn’t you.” Alice said desperately. It was unclear if she was trying to convince Yuuki or herself.

The vixen smiled more naturally this time. “It is. It’s in my soul. What else could be me? So far I’ve tried to progress by locking it away, tried fighting it. It’s not working. So, I’m experimenting with a different approach. Of course, I won’t simply accept it, but I will acknowledge it. It is as much a part of me as the part that wants to plant flowers and cuddle in the sunlight. I have to find peace before I can progress any further.”

“So… what? You’re negotiating a ceasefire in your soul?” There was confusion in her voice, but she was less worried now.

“Something of the sorts.” Yuuki closed her eyes once more and breathed in a controlled fashion. She did not need it but it helped her concentrate.

Alice looked around awkwardly as if trying to decide whether she should stay or go. Just as she was about to stand up, something changed. The mana in the area began to stabilize. Which was unusual, because it wasn’t supposed to be stable. Not just the mana, it was reality itself, Alice felt as though she had been placed on dry land after a lifetime on a boat.

Yuuki opened her eyes just in time to see Mystra teleport into the room to look at her with crossed arms and tired eyes. She said nothing, which was unusual behavior for the goddess.

“What happened?” Alice asked while looking between the two others in the room.

“She just went ahead and stabilized her soul. Which, nice, good for her.” Mystra said, her eyes still focused on Yuuki. “And because her soul is now stable and not at war with itself, it’s… well, it’s no longer suppressed due to nullifying its own power. Basically, she’s a tad bit too heavy and despite the universe’s best efforts to flail around chaotically like a leaf in the wind, it’s not happening, at least not around her. She just became a cosmic paperweight.”

“That’s the first time someone called me fat.” Yuuki mused as she stood up and dusted herself off.

“Good to see your personality still intact.” Mystra was serious, but a smile was beginning to form.

“Well, there was not much in terms of personality tucked away in there. Mainly just personas to fool people. Might incorporate some of it, but, you know… without the fake part.” Taking a few steps toward Alice, she wrapped the wolf-kin in a tight hug.

“How do you feel?” Mystra asked while the two were blissfully cuddling.

“More… whole, but also hurt? It’s hard to explain. It’s a bit like Germany reuniting after the cold war. One part is seriously underdeveloped and needs some time to catch up with the rest.”

Alice blinked, confused, while Mystra looked around trying to find the piece of history Yuuki was referring to. “Ah, I see…? Sure.”

Yuuki smirked as she signaled the goddess to get closer. After she did so, she was added to the hug.

“Right, now out of my room, I need sleep and I mean it. I prepared some ice cream in the living room.” Yuuki said as she lazily stretched while yawning.

“Not happening. You’re going to sleep on the floor if there’s no one to cuddle with.” Alice declared with absolute confidence.

“Yes. It’s comfortable. It’s hard and it gives proper support. I don’t understand how you can sleep in beds normally. Now, go. You're allowed to have fun without me.” Yuuki said and sprawled out on the ground.

“I’m staying.” Alice did not relent and plopped down next to the vixen.

Mystra’s eyes flashed with mischief as she suddenly had an idea. She opened the door and yelled. “Hug pile!”

“Wa-wa-wait!”

The building shook as multiple individuals broke into a sprint and made their way to the room in less than a second. The goddess allowed everyone to pile on the two already on the floor before she joined in herself.

Despite protests, there was no struggle. Yuuki couldn’t help but chuckle as she drifted off to sleep.

 

So... that was a chapter I rewrote a lot, debating on where I should go with it. I hope it was worth the wait, or at least wasn't extremely disappointing. Things will begin to pick up in pace. I did write "thousand lives" in the title and at the pace I'm going, humanity will be a Kardashev 3 before I finish it (well, thousand lifetimes would be more accurate, but it's long enough as is without that). Potato feels rested and filled with purpose.

11