Chapter Thirty Three: Nobody ever Suspects…!
3.5k 14 114
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If someone were to ask Rathos if his trip through the borderlands was dangerous, he would wholeheartedly answer yes. Several times during his trip south, he had found himself constantly attacked by [Raiders], [Bandits], sometimes even a [Pirate], though that was actually only once. Still, it was dangerous, but in a relative sense. The dangerous part was putting those who cannot fight in harm's way.

But nobody got truly harmed, mostly thanks to his superior skills warning him of an incoming fight. This allowed him to send those who couldn't fight into the enchanted carriage, a carriage that could withstand a decent level of punishment, both physical and magical. As for the rest, they fought… and won easily. Level ten and twenty enemies, even with much greater numbers, are of little threat. Superior training, skills, items, weaponry, each of these things can greatly increase the capability of an individual. But combined, it means that numbers alone tend to become useless, at least until those numbers start becoming multiplied by absurd amounts. Stamina can only last for so long after all.

Other than the battles of life and death, the trip was relaxing to Rathos. He spent time with his daughter. The towns, though still rather dirty, were much better than the first one he had stopped at. They were led by low leveled [Nobles] with decently leveled [Guards] to protect them. It was here at one of these towns that Rathos sits, a town named Arraster, inside a rather decent looking inn, talking to the [Innkeeper].

“Ahhh, I see. So you’re a [Trader] looking for a prosperous but safe place to stay... and build your business,” Barson says, his hand sliding down his long beard, one which is barely touching the table that he is sitting by. The man is old, but not old in the sense of being decrepit. Old in the sense that he has seen a lot, heard a lot and is of a decent level in his trade.

“Yes, preferably a large city that would welcome trade,” Rathos answers, knowing full well that only a city would be both rich enough to buy his goods and large enough to supply a home for everyone.

“Well, I’m not going to ask why such a,” Barson takes a look around, his eyes glazing at Rathos’ servants, specifically the well-off clean clothing maids and the two heavily armed bearmen, “wealthy [Trader] would want to live in the borderlands, especially considering there are far better places to live and make profit, such as to the north. But I’m sure you have your reasons.”

Barson grabs his wine and takes a sip, enjoying the flavor before putting the glass down.

“Now then, back to your question. If you’re looking for a large prosperous city, then there are actually several you can choose. There is Anteros, led by a rather dangerous [Warlord] by the name of Dominus. He is currently at war with [King] Henceforth of Skalag. Skalag, would have been a good option a year ago, but the resulting constant battles have greatly hindered the city. Many believe that Henceforth would fall quickly if Dominus could use his full army. Too bad the [Warlord] is forced to fight two battles at once. A [Bandit Lord], one of the more powerful ones around, has targeted Dominus and has been sending raids towards the towns under his control.” Barson says, sitting lazily in his chair.

“Those two cities can't possibly be the only ones,” Rathos voices quickly. After all, he knows that the borderlands are a significant amount of land. It would be foolhardy to believe that only two large cities exist.

Barson nods, “That is true, there are many more cities, but few are as large as those two. Even the two other [Kings] that live in the borderlands don't have a city half the size.”

Rathos sighs and shakes his head. He would not want either of those cities. [Warlords] have been known to be borderline [Tyrants] while he also would not risk living in Skalag considering that it may fall.

Moving his hand to his pocket, Rathos takes out a coin and throws it to Barson, the innkeeper catching with surprising dexterity.

“I need the largest and safest city. A city that rules well and is away from conflict.” Rathos says, figuring that money would be greater motivation.

The [Innkeeper] pockets the coin and smiles to Rathos.

“Then you are going to want the city of Sanavil, led by a [Lady] Catherine Rose. The city is not that big, one of the smaller cities, but it is located further down south. Sanavil is the closest city to the fog and is probably one of the safest for that reason,” Barson stops a moment and starts tapping the wooden table, ”also, if recent information is to be believed, the [Lady] had obtained a rare and powerful skill recently. A skill that has more than doubled food production around the city.”

Rathos takes a moment, taking all of the information in before getting up.

“I thank you for that information,”

He then grabs another coin and throws it to the [Innkeeper], “and I do hope we can keep this conversation between us.” he says.

“Absolutely,” Barson says, pocketing the coin with practiced ease.

Moving away from the table, Rathos takes the stairs up, moving towards his daughter's room, and knocking first before entering.

“Daddy!” Izabelle squeals, dropping her book that she was reading before jumping out of bed and running to him.

A smile forms on his face as Rathos bends down and scoops her up. She squeals in delight as he spins her around him before placing her down.

“How are you Iza? Sorry if I haven't had time to be with you, I was busy getting work done,” he says, stroking her hair, enjoying the feel of it, a remembrance of his own wife.

“I’m good! Henrietta was here earlier and was tutoring me with Kasandra. It was a lot of fun!” Izabelle says, waving her arms apart.

“Oh, she was teaching both of you?”

Izabelle nods, “Yup. Kasandra doesn’t know how to write or read, so Henrietta is teaching both of us. It is a lot of fun cause I can show her what I know.”

Rathos chuckles, enjoying the smile on his daughter’s face.

“So where are Henrietta and Kasandra? I figured they would be with you.”

Izabelle pouts, “Henrietta told me to continue reading and that she needs to train Kasandra to be a proper [Maid]. They went to her room.”

Undeterred by her pout, Rathos pats his daughter on the head, “Well, I need to talk to Henrietta about our future plans. Then when I’m done, how about you show me what you learned?”

“Yaaaayy~!” Izabelle jumps, running to her bed and sitting down, “Quickly,” she says, waving at him to go talk with Henrietta.

Shaking his head, Rathos steps out of the room and closes the door. He walks down the hallways and stops at a door, knocking first and then attempting to open, but the door is locked. A thumping sound comes from the other side as the lock is removed. The door opens slightly, allowing Rathos to see Henrietta’s head and nothing else. A sheen of sweat is going down her face.

“Master Rathos, is there something you require of me? I am busy training Kasandra.”

“Yes, I have news of a possible location to make our home. I was hoping to talk with you and obtain advice.”

“Not now Master Rathos. I must finish Kasandra’s training. Is it very urgent?”

Rathos takes a moment to contemplate Henrietta’s weird behavior, but in the end, just shrugs.

“I am in no rush. Find me when you are done training,” he says with a smile.

“I will Master.”

*Slam*

The door is slammed shut with impressive speed. Rathos hears the sound of the lock being applied right after.

Shaking his head, Rathos turns and walks back towards his daughter's room, figuring he might as well spend time with her while he waits for Henrietta.

____________________________________________________

Kasandra watches with abject fear as the door is quickly closed by Henrietta and then locked. She attempts to move, but the ropes tying her to the bed have been done extensively well.

*Mmmmmm*

But not just the ropes, the rag that is covering her mouth is also firmly placed, making it impossible for Kasandra to make much noise.

“Now then, Nafisa, where were we,” Henrietta says, turning away from the door, her eyes focusing on Kasandra. Kasandra looks at the older woman, gazing at her naked beauty. Firm, erect perky breasts, long slender legs, shaved crotch, disheveled long reddish tail. None of these things Kasandra cares about. She has seen many [Slaves], all of which with such amazing, seemingly perfect bodies. But today was the first that she saw a woman with such a erotically predatorial look.

Kasandra attempts to move again, but all it does is loosen the dress that she is wearing. Yes, Kasandra is naked except for a dress and a wig.

“Mhhhhh, Nafisa, what shall we do next,” Henrietta says, moving closer towards the bed while licking her lips. Her eyes are focused upon Kasandra’s dripping wet crotch.

Kasandra attempts to close her legs, but that also is futile as her legs are firmly tied to the sides of the bed.

*Haaaah~*

“Nafisa,” Henrietta whispers, moving on the bed, her face completely red, focused upon the prey.

Kasandra closes her eyes, internally cursing Izabelle’s mother for dying.

____________________________

“Yes Henrietta, I understand that going directly south would be dangerous since we will be passing through Dominus’ territory,” Rathos says, pointing on a large map of the borderlands. A map that is more than likely both obsolete and inaccurate considering it was most likely made by a low level [Cartographer].

“but your idea of going around the west side of Anteros also shares many dangers, many of which include [Bandits].”

“I understand that,” Henrietta interrupts, pointing towards the stretch of land between the city of Anteros and Skalag, “but you did say that it is easier to fight [Bandits] rather than [Soldiers]. So it would make sense to travel west of Anteros, away from [Soldiers].” she explains.

Rathos understands Henrietta’s logic. She expects combat and figures it would be easier to fight [Bandits] than [Soldiers], which is completely true since [Soldiers] tend to have much better skills in a direct fight. But Rathos is a [General], a man who has spoken to countless strategists, fought many battles, outsmarted his enemies. As a [General], he is able to see the whole picture.

“Your logic is good, but you are forgetting many important implications. First, you must understand that all [Bandits] are hostile. They will always attack, especially our caravan which to an observer must seem undefended. [Soldiers] on the other hand are not all hostile. It is far less likely to be attacked by them if we are able to prove to them that we are [Traders]. The other problem with your plan is that going west of Anteros will take a lot of time, possibly as much as three or four times as long compared to going straight south. The longer we are on the road, the more likely the chances become that we will end up getting attacked. That Is why I believe the best approach is the direct one.”

Rathos finishes his explanation and sits back into his chair, watching the candlelight flicker over the table and hearing the howling wind outside as it strikes the inn’s walls. It is currently night and they are in his room, planning.

Henrietta looks at the map, tracing with her finger the two possible routes before nodding and looking up.

“I understand and believe your plan and reasoning are far better than mine.”

Rathos smiles, enjoying these sessions with Henrietta. Planning and counter planning, all of it is something he had done constantly with those under him. He would, usually at night, invite the [Captains], [Tacticians], other [Generals], sometimes even [Lieutenants]. He would sit them down while he tells them his thoughts and plans. Usually, he would be right and everyone would agree with his logic. But sometimes, occasionally, a better plan than his would spring up. It is this exact reason that he has these meetings. Because as confident and high level he is, Rathos is not perfect. Of course, the meeting can get very long when many different plans or strategies are made, some of which are outright bad. But Rathos takes the time to explain why it is bad. This way, he is able to get proper logical advice and not just blindly followed because he is a [General]. This is something Rathos takes great pride in and allows a much firmer loyalty and trust with his subordinates.

Like Henrietta right now. Few servants would be willing to voice their thoughts before a [General], but she has no qualms. Blunt and loyal.

“Thank you. I just wanted your advice on the plan.”

Henrietta gets up and bows to him, “Of course master Rathos. I am always happy to assist you with whatever you need.”

Rathos grunts, “Go sleep, we will leave when everyone awakens.”

Henrietta bows again before moving to his door, opening it and walking out.

Rathos watches as the door is closed behind her. He turns to the map, suppressing his anger towards it. As a [General], if such a pathetic map was placed in front of him, he would castrate the [Cartographer]. A [General] needs a large, detailed map, not a child's drawing!

************************************

“Don't let them near the gates. Aim for the mage!” Alfonso yells as he stands upon the wooden wall of his small town, his eyes looking towards a large group of [Bandits]. Too many to get an exact number, especially considering it is in the middle of the night.

It all started very late at night, when the town was fast asleep. Alfonso had done everything in his power to fix the town that he had grown up in. A prosperous town that he remembers as a kid. It was a time when trade was abundant and fear of [Bandits] while within the walls was nonexistent. For at that time, the leaders of these scattered towns and kingdoms preferred not to war, but instead to trade.

War did exist though, but nothing major, and it was usual between small neighboring [Lords] or [Ladies]. They would fight, one would win, and the others would be enslaved and forced to work. It happened often, but the wars were short with very few people running away and becoming [Bandits]. It was only about twenty years ago that the tides of relative peace had ended. Crops started to grow slower. The wild animals were of a even lower level than they already usually are, in many cases even smaller and less numerous. This all eventually led to starvation, hunger… and war.

With the scarcity of food to feed such an enormous population of people, Towns, Villages, even kingdoms were forced to resort to war. They would ransack another town, taking what they need, enslaving the people and then selling them north for coin. Many of these [Lords] eventually became [Bandit lords], people who lead entire towns or villages full of [Bandits] whose survival is based on stealing from others.

It was here that Alfonso’s town was eventually attacked and ransacked for goods. But instead of being destroyed, they were left to live, to create more coin and be ransacked again.

And Alfonso was tired of it. The constant fear. The constant bloodshed. So when [Trader] Roth had single handedly removed the leadership, Alfonso had immediately called in favors and taken the opportunity to place himself into the leading position. Granted, many of the [Slavers] were upset about it, but Alfonso had loyalty. So it took little to convince the population to listen to him.

From there, he started reforming everything. Giving jobs to the poor in exchange for food. Creating Jobs. Redistributing goods. Cleaning up the town, repairing buildings, creating a command structure.

But most importantly, obtaining and training [Guards]. Protection against further attacks was something important on Alfonso’s list. Luckily, a long time friend and high level [Hunter] was more than happy to assist.

“Can you see him? Can you reach him?” Alfonso asks, looking into the dead of night, only seeing the [Bandits]’ torches.

“You should already know that my [Night Vision] skill lets me see clear as day. I can see that bastard all the way back, farther than I can shoot,” Venandi the [Hunter] exclaims as he releases his arrow, striking a [Bandit] which had attempted to sneak towards the burning gate.

“[Fire Ball]!”

Alfonso watches as a ball of fire quickly forms in the distance before accelerating away, striking the already burning gate.

*Boom*

An explosion of fire is heard, the fourth one so far this night. The door creaks, but surprisingly still stands, all thanks to how thick the wooden doors are. But it will not last forever, and the [Mage] which is leading the group of [Bandits] knows it.

“Maybe we should have given in to his demands,” says Venandi, releasing another arrow and finishing off the [Bandit] he had shot earlier in the foot.

It was possibly a half hour before that the [Bandits] had attempted to sneak into the town, only to find that the entrance was closed. So the [Guards] on duty had called an alarm and Alfonso was forced to meet them. They had demanded entrance and tribute, but he had denied them. He had felt confident that he could defeat the [Bandits]. After all, he had a wall and over ten people with bows, each standing atop the wooden platforms, ready to fire at anyone who got close.

But how was he to know that the [Bandits] had a [Mage] with the [Extended Casting] skill?

“[Fire Ball]”

Again, another ball of flame strikes the door, exploding. And just as Alfonso believes the door will hold, he hears the cracks. The metal hingest finally give way, both doors fall, hitting the ground hard.

“No.”

That's all he gets to say before he hears the roar. The [Bandits] yell, followed by the torches they are carrying start to move quickly towards the town. Towards the now open entrance.

“Ready your bows. Shoot on my order,” Venandi yells, before looking at Alfonso with a hard look, ”I will try to lower their numbers as much as I can. You need to keep them from storming into town.”

“Then I will join the [Guards] at the gate,” Alfonso says before jumping down. As he lands, the sound of arrows being fired is heard, but he can't focus on that. Instead, he cracks his metal gauntlets and runs to join the [Guards].

__________________

The battle truly begins as the [Bandits] swarm towards the town entrance, a massive horde of armed disheveled people. They swarm towards the entrance, many dying by arrow, but most are able to run through. They charge through the opening, only to be stopped dead in their tracks.

The momentum had drastically decreased, all thanks to a plethora of long wooden spears which had been plunged into the initial charging [Bandits]. It was an impressive trap. A useful one, but a one time use one. After all, it only worked because the [Bandits] in front couldn't stop or slow down, pushed by those in the back.

And now, with the dead bodies at the entrance, the [Bandits] are forced to climb their dead. And so they did, but slowly.

As the [Bandits] trickled in through the opening, the [Guards] engaged them. At first it looked like the plan was working. The [Bandits] were coming in slowly enough that the [Guards] were able to deal with them. But they kept coming, seemingly endless. Eventually a [Guard] would fail to block or dodge, taking a wound that either killed them or forced them out of the fight.

As time quickly passed, the body count increased and Alfonso found himself fighting three [Bandits] at once. Sweating profusely, Alfonso barely dodges an axe while ducking under a sword and blocking a dagger with his gauntlet. His other hand, the one not blocking, flicks out, the [Bar fighter]’s fist impacts the mans face, eliciting the sound of broken bones.

Unfortunately, the [Bandit] with the sword activates a skill which redirects his sword, slashing it on Alfonso's side, drawing blood.

Alfonso jumps back, cursing himself. If he had not extended his arm to punch, he could have instead blocked that sword. And now, he has a deep wound on his side.

The [Bandit] with the sword smiles, moving closer, confident.

Taking the opportunity, Alfonso looks at the battlefield, finding that most of his [Guards] are dead, [Bandits] are still pouring in and that their is fighting up on the battlements where Venandi is.

“I guess I wont be able to see my daughter’s face again.” Alfonso says, raising his arms, ignoring the burning pain in his side.

The [Bandits] slow their engage, wary and confused.

Alfonso smiles, a smile of a dying man.

He takes a step forward.

*BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM*

And trips as the ground shakes. He falls hard and is struck by heat. Quickly looking up, he finds a massive vortex of fire, seemingly spinning right outside the town. The fighting around him had stopped, all have turned and are gazing at the tornado of flame. And then, as fast as it had come, the flames disappears.

Only to reappear as an explosion at the location of where the gate used to be. Corpses littering the area are ripped, clearing the entrance.

A man walks through it confidently while wearing a robe and holding a staff. Several balls of light surround him, illuminating the area.

He stops and looks around with hard powerful eyes.

“I am [Inquisitor] Joseph of the church of Odin and I come to this town's defense. Surrender, or you will be destroyed.”

114