Chapter Fifty Two: Beer, Love, War… in that order.
2.7k 7 113
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was night, it was slightly chilly, and Scarlet was utterly awake. Normally, a [Captain] in charge of the guards of a city would be sleeping right now to prepare for the next day.

But Scarlet wasn't sleeping, not because she didn't want to, but because of what had happened before night fell.

She went and touched the class stone. She hadn't done so for probably a week since the incident involving the [Thieves] and [Rogues], but it was there that she found her class had changed.

She was no longer just a [Captain], but a [Guard Captain], a prerequisite class to the much stronger [Watch Captain]. Apparently, she had hit level 73 and the world had granted a class upgrade. She had gained two skills. [Night Vision] and [City Guardian], a skill allowing her to sense any and all those under her command within the city.

In essence, she is too excited to sleep and her new skill had just informed her that a couple of her [Guards] are unconscious.

__________________________________________________________

“So, it looks like we have ourselves a tavern brawl,” Scarlet exclaims with a smile as her eyes lock onto the tavern and the couple of men passed out in front of the entrance.

Taking a look around, Scarlet finds that the odd twenty or so [Guards] she had brought with her are chuckling, sharing her smile.

Always fun to break up a brawl.

“Let's go crack some skulls,” she says as her steps quickly take her forward and into the tavern.

“This is the city Gu-”

She stops as her gaze roams the inside of The Drunken [King] tavern.

Destroyed chairs and tables. Shattered glass everywhere. Various colored liquids on the floor, many of which are not alcoholic.

Over thirty people are unconscious… except for one.

Scarlet's eyes roam to an undamaged table and chair where the man is sitting while drinking from a bottle with an annoyed look on his face.

Thanks to her new [Night Vision] skill, she is able to recognize the individual to be the one named Roth.

Her skill also allows her to see several unconscious bodies surrounding Roth, clearly of people who had attempted to fight the man and failed spectacularly. Roth doesn't even look harmed in the slightest.

Which only enforces her [Lady’s] warning that Roth is a very capable and dangerous man.

“So, Roth, mind telling me what happened,” she asks sweetly, extending her arm and pointing at the tavern in its entirety.

Rathos, still looking annoyed, rubs his face before answering, “Smiths Oath And The Drunkards Rum”.

As Scarlet and her [Guards] hear Rathoss’ reply, they immediately start to laugh.

“He got you too, eh?” she says chuckling in delight as she looks at those unconscious,” where is Garrus, I have to see this.”

Rathos sighs before pointing at the back wall right above the barkeeper and the half body sticking out of the wall. The body has short legs.

Another round of laughter begins, this time with practically every [Guard] laughing.

“Eir have mercy, how in her name did he get himself stuck into a wall?” Scarlet asks while waving her hand and informing her [Guards] to start picking up the bodies and take them outside.

Rathos shakes his head, “he thought I was his lover and tried to kiss me. I may have thrown him too hard.”

A frown attempts to form on Scarlet's face over the fact that Roth is capable of doing such a thing. Unfortunately, the whole situation before her makes that impossible.

“Heh, looks like Garrus is going to be banned from another tavern. I wonder how many are left for him to visit now.” one of the [guards] says as he grabs onto Garrus’s lower half and pulls the dwarf out of the wall.

“Well, it’s good that our resident [Blacksmith] makes so much coin, otherwise I would have to send him to jail,” Scarlet says as she walks towards Rathos, picking up a usable stool and a wooden cup off the floor.

She puts the stool next to Rathos’ table, sits on it and moves the empty cup towards him.

Rathos’, seeing the cup, pours whatever alcoholic contents are in the bottle into the cup.

She takes off her helmet and takes a sip, “Not bad.”

“How much am I going to pay?” Rathos asks.

Scarlet rolls her eyes, “You didn't start it, so you won't be paying anything. Garrus on the other hand will.”

Rathos’ frowns, “How often does this happen?”

Scarlet chuckles.

“Garrus starting an entire brawl? Every single time he enters a tavern that doesn't restrict how much alcohol they give him.”

She wipes some liquid off her lips.

The Drunken [King], I think, is actually a relatively new tavern, probably less than a year old. The [Tavernkeeper] probably wasn't notified that the city's resident [Blacksmith] is a violent drunk.”

She pauses, confusion etching her face, “What happened to the [Tavernkeeper]? They usually run out and get the [Guards] before the brawl gets too out of control.”

Rathos points at an unconscious man in the corner, “He was one of the first to go unconscious.”

Scarlet turns to look towards the body. The man seemed to have been bleeding from his head, though it is clear that the bleeding stopped since the blood is already starting to dry.

Which only raises her next question.

“How long was this brawl?”

Rathos takes a moment to answer, “about five minutes long, give or take a minute.”

Fast

Scarlet had seen bar fights, many of which had taken up to half an hour, usually only stopping when the city [Guards] came to enforce order. Garrus tended to be one of the last few still standing.

Taking a moment, Scarlet looks at the bodies seemingly splayed in a half-circle around Roth. [Guards], [Soldiers], those usually the hardest to put down using fists. All of them are on the floor, unconscious, each with only a bruise on their faces.

They had been knocked out from only a single punch. Not even her dad could do that.

Scarlet gulps, remembering her [Lady’s] warning.

She takes her cup and chugs the contents down.

“Roth, I think it would be best for me to escort you home,” she says, standing up and picking up her helmet.

Rathos’ grunts in acknowledgment and stands up.

Scarlet notices that the man is drunk considering the reddened face, but his eyes tell a different story.

“That would be best.”

Scarlet and Rathos stride towards the exit, only stopping momentarily for Scarlet to give orders to her [Guards] before walking up towards the cities center.

The night air is cool, crisp, and Scarlet is starting to feel it. Apparently, the alcohol was stronger than she expected as she wobbles slightly.

And then she steps on a stone, trips, only to be caught by Roth who moves with exceptional speed. He picks her up in a bridal carry.

Anyone with a keen eye who saw the scene would immediately be amazed at what happened.

Roth had just picked up a two hundred pound woman wearing three hundred pounds of armor… with ease.

Scarlet, red faced and is still holding her helmet, look up surprised as a bearded face looks towards her, confused.

“You can't hold your liquor, can you?” Rathos’ asks, his eyes matching hers.

Scarlet goes bright pink and gives the man a cheeky smile.

“I gained a couple of points in constitution, I figured it would be enough.”

Rathos’, intoxicated, continue walking upwards, but takes a slight left instead, heading instead towards the castle.

“With your heavy armor on, I doubt a fall will only end in a bruise. I’ll take you to your room.”

“Oh! [Knight] Roth, you are such a gentleman,” she says aloud, laughing with delight and moving her arm around the man.

Rathos grunts, strengthening his grip before increasing his pace towards the castle.

Scarlet puckers her lips, “You don't talk too much, do you?” she asks after a couple of minutes of silence, the castle entrance in view.

Rathos subconsciously looks around, taking in his surroundings, constantly checking for threats while his conscious mind attempts to make sense of his situation.

He is carrying a [Watch Captain], formerly a [Captain], to her home so that she doesn't get hurt.

But something feels wrong with that logic and Rathos is attempting to figure out why.

“You, halt, reveal yourself” one of the [Guards] manning the castles front gate exclaims as a figure approaches in the night.

The other [Guard] moves towards the individual, waving his torch.

“[Captain]?”

Scarlet frowns and points, “I’m a [Watch Captain] now Manos and this [Knight] is taking me home. Move aside.”

She waves her hand, seemingly expecting to sweep the two confused [Guards] out of the way.

Manos, an older man and the [guard] with the torch, frowns, “ It is night Scarlet, rules dictate that only you or other [Guards] may enter the castle. He must leave.”

Scarlet, annoyed, pouts, “who made that stupid rule?”

Manos shakes his head, confused, “You did.”

Scarlet takes a moment to think about that before pointing, “Well, I’m making a rule that this [knight] is allowed too.” she says hugging Rathos who looks deep in thought.

Manos shakes his head before folding his arms, “You are drunk and I won't let him enter. Those are the rules, ”he says adamantly.

Manos then looks to Rathos, “We will take her to her room for you.” he says before looking back, “Norris, help me with Scarlet.”

Rathos, having zoned out, frowns as his muscles start to strain from carrying Scarlet who is now pouting angrily at the [Guards].

Rathos, having ignored the conversation so far, looks to the [Guards].

He opens his mouth.

[Guards],”

Norris and Manos stop in their tracks, their complete and utter attention turning towards Rathos, eyes glazing over as they straighten their backs and stand firm.

I am taking Scarlet to her room. Open the gates

A [General's] aura filled words escape Rathos lips, filling the air with his presence.

“Yes Sir,” both [Guards] immediately exclaim before turning and running towards the gate, opening it.

Rathos starts to walk forward.

“Ohhhhh, you are so authoritative,” Scarlet says, looking at her [Guards] stand expressionless at the sides of the open gate, seemingly waiting for further orders.

Rathos, calm and collected, walks deeper into the castle, the night staff moving out of his way as though he were [Lady] Rose.

He stops in front of a room and slowly sets down Scarlet.

Scarlet, giggling now, reaches under her armor and grabs a key.

She opens the door, turns around, gazes at Rathos for a moment.

And just as Rathos is about to turn and leave, she grabs him by the collar, his eyes widening as she pulls him into her room. Her lips touch his as the door slowly closes on its own.

**************************************************************************************************

The forsaken lands is one of various names used to describe the southern continent of Orbis, a place known for its excessive low levels and an Inadequate food supply. As for this specific name, it describes the lack of presence of any godly powers with the exception of the goddess Eir.

But even her presence is waning now as the far south becomes embroidered into an all-out war born from the poor food supply.

None are sure what is happening or why, but any decent level [Mage] would tell you that the ambient mana had decreased. This had resulted in various passive skills like [Fast Crops] or [Abundant Harvest] to weaken drastically in the area.

On top of that, abundant mana is required for beast and monsters to level with age. With the mana levels being too low, the beasts become weaker, so much so that [hunters] have an easy time hunting and killing them. Normally not a problem, but when even a [Farmer] or [Slave] can take such weak beasts down, then meat quickly becomes a scarcity due to overhunting.

Which leads us to the crux of the problem. The south has easily one of the largest populations on the continent, all thanks to the [Slave] trade, the only true commodity exported from the south to the north.

Well, mostly the central east. That is where the Coliseums are abundant and the highest profit to be gained through the [Slave] trade.

Unfortunately, the lack of food and an overabundant population is quickly causing revolts, revolts which low and even mid-level [Slavers] cannot stop.

Former [Slaves], lacking funds and food, quickly resort to banditry and thieving.

Farms are looted, towns and villages start to starve, all creating an ever present cycle which quickly turns human against human, even demihuman against demihuman. This extends throughout the lands, causing strife and chaos, not even the few [Kings] and [Queens] are exempt.

[King] Henceforth is fighting a dire war against [Warlord] Dominus who is also dealing with a rampaging [Bandit Lord].

But that is a major conflict. Further south, on the other hand, is where many minor conflicts are going on. Towns fighting other towns, pillaging each other, even enslaving the victims to use them as disposable infantry.

Even the city of Sanavil that is located extremely far south is not exempt from such chaos. They had been attacked recently by a couple of towns worth of militia which had failed miserably.

Cities have big walls, big populations, and in Sanavils case, a not starving population. All this and more played a part in the cities ability to defend attacks effectively.

But, that was only a couple of towns worth of people compared to the several hundred scattered around Sanavil… and the two cities that are also nearby and further north.

Not Skalag or Anteros, which are at war much farther north, but minor cities near Sanavil.

Cities lead by [Kings]...

***********************************************************************************

Near the lofty walls of a pillaged town, two armies meet, one wearing the colors of gray and yellow, the other gray and red. The armies wait outside the walls of the town on opposite sides.

They are waiting, not for hostility, though that is still a possibility, for their [Kings] to meet and plan.

In the town center, within a small fortified inner Pavillion, two [Kings] sit across from each other. Three [Knights] stand behind each [King], followed by five [Captains] and a dozen [lieutenants]. These men and women wait anxiously, hands ready to grab weapon or shield if the other party turns hostile.

So far, it seems that the two [Kings] are sizing each other up.

Only after another minute does [King] Tersus break the silence.

“Gravitus, must we meet in such a,” the gangly man waves his gloved hand around, “in such a dirty, unclean, rat-infested building?” Tersus exclaims with a frown.

[King] Gravitus takes a moment, staring at the other [King]

Tersus is clean, impeccably so. His gray cloak with yellow stripes, white gloves, even his skin, and complexion are clean. His [Knights], [Commanders], [Lieutenants], even the regular [Soldiers] are far cleaner than is normally expected.

A clear result of a skill Tersus has which extends his preferences to his entire kingdom. The city of Mundus, [King] Tersus capital, is easily the cleanest city of all those in the southern portion of the continent. Even the walls of the city are painted white every month so as to look clean and spotless.

[King] Gravitus, back straight and in perfect posture, sneers, “because you refused to allow the meeting to take place in my castle. [Kings] need to meet in a proper setting.”

Tersus rolls his eyes as he inspects Gravitus. Strong jaw, perfect posture, a man who knows how to exude order with his mere presence.

Even those behind him are in perfect and proper gear and standing. The [Knights] are in full plate mail, each identical to the other. They stand firm and ready, not even moving a muscle as though they are statues. Even the [Commanders] and [Lieutenants] are in similar dress and form. They all look alike and act similarly.

Tersus, as much as he hates to say it, finds the army far better organized than his own, though far dirtier.

“Ah yes, just so you can plan an ambush to have me killed in your city.”

Gravitus frowns at the disrespect, “I am a [King], I would never use such an underhanded tactic. Such tactics are for [Brigands] and [Bandits]. Only a coward would use such techniques.”

“Yes, unfortunately, trust like that is not easy. And though you are known to always be held by your word, I cannot risk my life on mere trust.”

Gravitus squints, “If there is no trust, then this meeting is useless,” he says bluntly.

Tersus nods, “ Indeed, trust is important, and I doubt you would be here if you did not have some level of trust in me,” he says, placing his hand on the table before frowning.

Tersus sighs as he notices the smudge of dirt on his glove.

He raises his hand and one of the knights steps forward, taking out a handkerchief and rubs Tersus glove clean.

Tersus smiles and gives his [Knight] a nod in recognition of a good job.

Gravitus, unmoving, frowns at the the display but says nothing as it happens.

“I do so hate dirt. It is unseemly for a [King] to be dirty.”

Internally, Gravitus completely agrees, but he would never voice it aloud. Especially not now when his patience is wearing thin. He is already disgusted at the complete lack of formalities for this meeting, and more and he may as well just leave.

“Tersus, as much as I hate to say this, let us dispense with the formalities and come to the crux of this meeting. Will you ally with me to take overtake the city of Sanavil?”

A meeting of [Kings], [Kings] who, as much as they dislike each other, cannot help but notice the exceptional success [Lady] Rose is having with her city. She is gaining power, respect, but most importantly, wealth. It is the only city that doesn't have to resort to violence to survive.

They want that city, but mostly they want to know why the land surrounding it is so fertile. Granted, there is a rumor that it is the [Ladys] skill, but neither [king] would believe such a rumor.

After all, [Kings], compared to [Ladys] or [Lords], tend to have far more powerful skills. And a skill which increases crop yield by such a significant amount would be a [King] rank ability.

No, both [Kings] believe it to most likely be the location. The land there is just unnaturally fertile. That is what they believe and that is what they are after.

Tersus takes a moment before smiling with the whitest teeth Gravitas had ever seen, “I accept a temporary alliance between us Gravitus.”

A ding, a sound echoed from the chambers, extending from the town, allowing all to hear.

A contract had been made, albeit a temporary one.

Only time will tell when it will end.

And when a [king] will die...

113