Chapter Eighty: War
2.5k 11 102
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With her skills and stats aiding her, Scarlet’s bare feet hit the cobblestone, propelling her forwards as she sprints through the streets. Her flowing dress leaves a trail behind her. Her hair, at one point tied down, had come loose and is fluttering through the air. Many a man had paused in amazement, their eyes unable to move away from her muscular thighs, dashing hair, and clear translucent skin. The light of the setting sun had only made such features even more stunning.

But Scarlet notices none of that. Her single focus is the battlements and her [Guards] scrambling up it. It doesn't take her long before she reaches the top of the gates. Her [Guards] salute while giving her confusing stares before moving out of the way. She finds Manos, her most reliable [Guardsman] looking over the wall.

He turns, sensing her presence, and raises an eyebrow at her clothing. After a moment, he shakes his head and then flicks his hand for her to come closer.

“We have a big fucking problem,” he says as she comes near. He points in the distance.

“What is-,” she starts, but her eyes can only see small dots and specks, flags, and machines of war covering the horizon.

“An army,” Manos says, his face frowning, “two armies… and two [Kings].”

She frowns.

“[Captain’s Sight],” she says, her vision expanding and focusing on the distance.

What she sees is not something that she is comfortable with. Two armies are walking with different flags. One army carries a flag that is yellow with a grayish-white square in the center. This army carries splendent white armor with not a speck of dirt to be seen anywhere. Even the animals look to be remarkably clean.

The other army is quite different. They carry a flag that is mostly gray with a noticeable red spearhead in the center. This army of [Soldiers] lack the cleanliness of the other, but they walk in complete order and in complete silence. At the front is clearly the leader of the army and he rides a warhorse with a regal gait.

“I don't know those colors. Do you?” she asks.

“The army with the red spearhead is led by [King] Gravitus, the other is led by [King] Tersus. They are the only two [Kings] near us and the only people who could truly overtake us.” Manos explains slowly while his eyes roam the approaching army.

“Gravitus and Tersus? I thought they were poor [Kings]. Where did they get the resources for an army? Why are they attacking now of all times… and together?”

“I don't know, but it doesn't look like that matters right now. What's the order, [Guard Captain]?”

Scarlet frowns. Her gaze moves to the bottom of the wall and the large incoming influx of citizens and [Farmers]. They are all rushing into the city in a relatively organized line. Once they are all inside, the gates will immediately be shut and the whole city will be under martial law. Nobody gets in or out once that happens.

“They’re moving fast towards us. Probably several movement skills are being used.”

“Will they attack immediately?” Manos asks.

Scarlet shakes her head after a moment, “It would be stupid of them to attack as soon as they arrive. Movement skills are ideal for any engagement, including a siege. Since they used their skills already, it will take at least a day before it can be used again.”

“That long?”

Scarlet scratches her bare leg, “Yup. Skills that can affect an entire army tend to take a long time to recover.”

“So, what's the plan?”

Scarlet sighs, “Same as before. Though they should not attack immediately, I would be a poor [Guard Captain] if I allowed myself to take such a risk.”

Scarlet bites her lip and crosses her arms. She glares intensely at the incoming army and the rather significant number of enemy [Lieutenants] and [Captains] present. Their skills, depending on what they may be, will make it near impossible to win in a direct fight. Thankfully, her new class greatly strengthens all of her skills when used in the defense of her city.

All she can hope is that it will be enough.

“I want every combat-capable person that can use a bow on these walls. That means [Archers], [Rangers], [Hunters], [Bowyers], and anyone else that has experience. As for the [Guards] and [Soldiers], I want them ready and armored for a breach. I don’t think we will be able to fully stop them completely.”

Manos nods and is about to relay orders, but stops.

“Um…”

“She sent all of the [Guards] from the castle again, didn't she?”

Manos nods, “Yes, she keeps saying that they will be better needed in the city’s defense.”

Scarlet shakes her head. ”Stupid. If she dies, then the city dies with it. All it takes is a [Thief] or [Rogue]... or, Eir forbid, an [Assassin], and she’s dead.”

“It is her choice and we are powerless to stop her,” Manos says.

Scarlet groans aloud, “Dammit. Manos, go relay my orders. I’ll wait here and see what happens. Hopefully they will just make camp as I expect them to.”

“What of your armor?” he asks.

Scarlet shrugs, “Nothing I can do on that. The castle is probably locked tight and only I would be allowed to enter… plus,” Scarlet takes a step forward, her dress and hair blowing wildly, her body and curves on full display. A smile graces her succulent lips, ”I don't need armor to lead, and I doubt I will be fighting unless something goes terribly wrong.”

Manos says nothing else and runs off. Scarlet continues to gaze into the approaching army, her mood getting worse and worse as she notices a full battalion of cavalry and even a good dozen [Knights].

______________________________________________________________

“My [King], with all due respect, why must you lead in front? Are you not putting yourself at risk?” a young [Captain] asks while on horseback. His question is directed towards a large man with a big red beard, a strong jaw, piercing eyes, and a very muscular frame.

[King] Gravitus snorts and gazes back towards the [Captain].

Another [Captain] quickly speaks up.

“A [King] is not just a [Leader] or a [Governor], they are far more than that. They are a symbol of a kingdom, a person at the highest echelon of power. A true [King] must always lead by example. It is why our [King] leads the army.”

Gravitus nods, “Well said Aronus, but not always true. If a [King] has a [General], then, and only then, would a [King] be allowed to sit back.”

The young [Captain] frowns and looks towards the army marching beside them. He gazes at the army of [King] Tersus. In the center of the army is an immaculately large and clean carriage. In it resides [King] Tersus. Leading the army is a [Knight Strategist] who is surrounded by several [Knights] and few [Captains].

“But [King] Tersus does not have a [General]? Why does he not lead?”

“Because he is a failure of a [King]. Tersus is a cur whose existence is an insult to all [Kings] everywhere. He is a disgrace and I will prove to all that he does not deserve his class!” Gravitus yells, his eyes gazing angrily at the army beside him. Gravitus had attempted to prove his army was superior to Tersus by using movement skills to outpace his competition, but Tersus had reacted in kind and kept pace with his own skills.

“I completely agree, my [King],” Aronus quickly adds, “but Tersus’ army is not inferior to our own. He may be a poor [King], but his army, as much as I dislike saying it, is actually quite formidable.”

Gravitus frowns hard, his gaze piercing into Aronus for several moments. Aronus meets his gaze headon with both respect and a combative logic. As much as Gravitus hates to admit it, a [King] must also heed the words of his subjects, especially ones with a level over eighty.

Gravitus relaxes but does not slump. He is still a [King] and his [King’s Bearing] skill would never allow him to look like anything else.

“I know. I dislike it greatly, but as a [King], I can already sense that our armies are near equal in strength. Though we have three times as many [Lieutenants] and far higher level [Captains], Tersus has seventeen high level [Knights] and a full mounted cavalry.” Gravitus shakes his head in annoyance at having to speak such truth.

But he is a [King], and [Kings] must always act forthright and honest.

“Seventeen? How can he have so many? We only have four!” the young [Captain] yells out and immediately gets a glare from the others.

“Sorgent, control your outbursts. You are a [Captain] accompanying his majesty. Do not forget your manners,” Aronus quickly states while giving the young man a disapproving look.

Sorgent nods quickly, bowing his head towards his [King]. “My apologies for my outburst. I let my emotions get the better of me. It will not happen again.”

After a long careful pause, Gravitus grunts and begins to gaze forward. “A [Kings] ability to create [Knights] are based on two factors. The first factor is a [Kings] level. A [King] can create one [Knight] when they get the class and an additional one every twenty five levels. The next factor is population and land. Larger populations of citizens allow for more [Knights] and more land allows a larger population.”

Gravitus points towards Tersus’ army. “Tersus has a powerful skill called [Clean Kingdom], which makes it very hard for anything under his control to get dirty. This also includes his citizens as well as food supply. His citizens are cleaner, healthier, and food lasts much longer. His population currently triples mine even though we have about the same amount of land.”

Gravitus cracks his neck, taking a moment to gaze at the barely visible sun, “I can have a maximum of six [Knights] now, but I have yet not found anyone truly worthy of obtaining the class.”

Gravitus looks down, his gaze lingering on the enemy city before gazing at his [Captains] and his far higher level army.

“My own skill, [Organized Kingdom], allows my kingdom to work and live efficiently, which also includes training an army efficiently. Our [Soldiers] are better leveled, better armored, and have more efficient skills that better benefit the army as a whole.”

Sordent speaks up.

“Your skill can affect what skills others obtain? I have never thought that was possible.”

Gravitus nods, “It is for the lower levels, but it becomes more random after thirty.”

“Sordent, I believe I have already informed you that very few, if any of our [Soldiers] have skills like [Wide Strike] or [Jump Strike]. Most have skills like [Cramped Footing] or [Penetrating Stab]. Only skills which can be used in formation are obtained so as not to be a detriment to the army itself.”

“Wow. That is rather impressive. That probably explains wh- what's happening?” Sordent exclaims while pointing towards Tersus’ army.

Heads turn and watch as several hundred mounted [Soldiers] sprint and ride away from the main army. They move quickly, accelerating to impressive speeds towards the enemy city.

“Is he only sending the cavalry? They're just going to close the gates before they arrive.”

“That impudent, dishonorable cur. He is targeting the peasants that are trying to escape within the walls!” Gravitus yells, his voice trembling now with anger as his hands create fists. His gaze turns to the pristine carriage and the dishonorable shit within. Truly, a poor excuse for a [King].

______________________________________________________________

Tersus sits comfortably in his clean carriage. One leg dangles over the other while his left hand holds a glass of wine. His posture is relaxed as he smiles towards the other individual sitting opposite him.

The other individual frowns before speaking, “Is it really necessary to send your cavalry for mere [Farmers]?”

Tersus swirls the liquid in his glass. The color is a translucent red that borders on pink.

“To most, it may seem like I’m a rather spoiled [King] and that my actions are rather nonsensical.”

Tersus licks his lips, “And, to an extent, they may very well be right… But, I am not a poor [King]. My level is over eighty, that alone should be proof enough that my decisions are not without thought.”

The [King] looks out of the carriage window and points towards the setting sun.

“For example, my cavalry lacks the ability to see in the night. With the sun setting, they will be next to useless.”

The figure opposite Tersus, shrouded in cloth which covers his body and face, shifts his arms and fold them on his chest.

“Slaughtering those that cannot defend themselves seems very counterintuitive. It makes you out a [Tyrant] to the enemy defenders and even your own people.”

Tersus chuckles and takes a sip of his wine.

“Have you ever played chess? It is a rather fantastic game that simplifies the actions of war to such an extent that only the most worthy of [Kings] find it boring.”

Tersus leans forward, “I stopped playing it when it became easier to poison my opponents before the actual match could begin.”

“You do not play fair.” the shaded man answers.

“War is never fair.”

“Then why?”

Tersus moves his glass to his lips and begins to drink, draining it down quickly but without even making a splash. His every move is elegant and clean.

“Because I want to increase the chances that you succeed, even if a little. My cavalry will kill many, and that will anger the defenders. If all goes well, the [Guard Captain] or whoever is in charge of the cities defense will make the mistake of taking even more combatants from the city to defend against the gates,” Tersus explains.

“Hmmm, and with them distracted, I would be able to sneak in and kill off the [Lady]. A decent plan if I was a simple [Rogue], but I’m an [Assassin]. There is nobody in that city that will be able to see me.”

Tersus leans back, his fingers are grasped lightly around the now empty glass. A glass that is completely clear and clean. No residue of liquid or grime within.

“I need that city and I will increase my chances as much as possible, even if it is merely one percent.”

The [Assassin] grunts. Who is he to tell a [King] what they can or cannot do? As long as he finishes the job, his daughter will become a [Knight] and the northern kingdoms can go fuck themselves.

A class for a kill. That is his payment.

The [Assassin] stands up after a moment and shifts his enchanted cloak away, revealing an assortment of enchanted weapons and armor. The movement makes no noise even though it seems it should.

“Well then, the chat was nice but I must get into position.”

The [Assassin] opens the carriage door and jumps out. No sound of impact can be heard. Only the whisper of the wind remains, and the annoyed expression of [King] Tersus whose eyes stare at the open carriage door.

His frown deepens as he begins to think of the dust that may now enter the clean interior.

_______________________________________________________________

102