Chapter Eighty One: Rose
2.4k 10 111
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The bells upon the city ring loudly in reply to the incoming enemy cavalry. The farmers, noticing the incoming danger, begin to run and rush towards the city.

“[Archers], [Hunters], and anyone else with a goddam bow, fire at the cavalry!” Scarlet yells loudly. Her face clearly displays her panic as she watches the first [Farmer] get brutally speared in the back. The cavalry had arrived quickly and death was inevitable.

“Shit, shit, shit-”

Scarlet looks around, trying to think of some plan, but none of her skills would be able to work, not at the current range at least. If they had been in the city, she could have sped them up…

The first sounds of arrows being fired brings a small wave of relief to Scarlet’s face, but that doesn't last long as the arrows are missing the cavalry. The speed of the enemy and the low levels of those shooting arrows make it very difficult for any to land. Combine that with the enemy’s armor and very few arrows would find flesh.

She bites her lip as the people she is responsible for are slaughtered. Mothers, fathers, even children and beasts of burden are dying in droves.

Not [Fighters] or [Warriors], but simple peasants who work hard day in and day out to put food on the table.

*Twang*

A sound is heard near her location, which is then followed by an enemy [Soldier] being pierced and dislodged from his horse, a thick arrow can be seen sticking out of his chest.

*Twang*

Another enemy [Soldier] falls, this one in the same way.

*Twang*

The enemy cavalry immediately looks up, their eyes turning towards her location.

*Twang*

Another [Soldier] falls.

*Twang*

Frowning, Scarlet turns towards the sound.

*Twang*

She begins heading towards the noise, quickly moving around and finding the one responsible for killing the [Soldiers].

*Twang*

She stops in surprise.

*Twang*

A skinny, frail-looking woman is holding a massive warbow, far beyond her height, with arrows as thick as her arm.

With ease, she pulls the strings of the unwieldy weapon before allowing the arrow to fly. Another enemy cavalry dies.

Scarlet blinks, escaping her stupor and quickly walks up to the aged elder.

The elder, without stopping her attack, turns and smiles towards Scarlet.

“Is there something I can help you with, my dear?”

*Twang*

The wind reverberates around the senior.

“Who are you? Actually, never mind that.”

Scarlet quickly points towards the [Cavalry Knight] that is leading the charge. Even though [Soldiers] are dying, the leader is accepting the losses in exchange for slaughtering the peasantry.

“Can you take him out? The one in the plate armor.”

The old lady’s keen eyes quickly find the one in question. The [Cavalry Knight] is riding in clean resplendent armor with a lance and shield. His steed is a warbreed of horse with clearly distinct muscles that can be seen under the steel armor.

The old woman doesn’t pause in her actions. She grabs an arrow, mounts it to her bow, pulls the string, and then allows it to fly.

To the elder’s and Scarlet’s surprise, the [Cavalry Knight] twists and blocks the arrow with his shield. He looks at the wall now, his movement undeterred.

“Hmmmm, this one is… adequate.”

The old woman grabs another arrow and mounts it to her bow. A small smile forms on her lips. She aims.

“[Penetrating Arrow], [Accelerating Shot], [Hunter’s Mark], [Weighted Impact], [Drilling Arrowhead].”

Scarlet’s eyes widen at the sheer number of skills the elder activates in immediate succession.

She merely chuckles in reply and releases the projectile.

An explosion of the very air is heard as the shot leaves the bow at a speed that rips the sound barrier in half. The wind fluctuates erratically around the elder, its strength forcing Scarlet to keep her dress down or risk flashing the [Soldiers] on the wall.

The [Cavalry Knight] slumps backward on his now panicking mount. Half his shield no longer exists… nor does his chest plate, including any organs formerly being protected by it. The [Cavalry Knight]’s organs had been pulled out alongside the arrow. The sheer force and speed of the elder’s attack had destroyed any possible defense the [Cavalry Knight] could have produced.

With the [Cavalry Knight] dead, the rest of the force noticeably slows down. The arrows from the wall which were mostly missing are now beginning to hit. Whatever skill that had been used to keep them alive had died with the leader.

Scarlet turns back towards the elder that continues to shoot arrows, downing one after another, her mind still reeling from the impressive skill being thrown about casually.

“Who are you?” she asks again.

The elder chuckles, “Just an old [Ranger] trying to help the city that has taken care of her.”

Scarlet nods slowly, allowing her to keep her secrets, and then moves forward, surprising the elder mid draw.

Scarlet went in for a hug, “Thank you. You saved a lot of lives.”

She then lets her go a couple of seconds later and begins walking to her former position.

The old lady pauses, her eyes glazing over at the sight of the [Guard Captain] slowly walking away.

The [Ranger] shakes her head, her thoughts trailing back to her son.

“Well, Alfonso, at least you made something fruitful from your life.”

The bow never stopped firing, her arrows taking a life and removing the riders from the horses with ease. A smile can be seen on her lips.

____________________________________________________

 

Gravitus can't help but smirk at the total failure of the cavalry. They lost a high leveled [Cavalry Knight] and a good half of their number while only killing the weaker enemies. Granted, he should be apprehensive over the presence of such a keen ranged specialist in the presence of the defenders, but he just can't help keeping the smile off his face.

“Sire, the cavalry is retreating. What are your orders?”

Gravitus, still smiling, looks towards the carriage that houses [King] Tersus, imagining the reaction the man is probably having over such a blunder.

“We do nothing. Tersus made the mistake of sending his cavalry with little information regarding the skill of the defending forces. He paid the price for his mistake.”

The [Captain] who had spoken frowns as his eyes focus on a spot behind the retreating cavalry. At the riderless horses which are trotting towards the city.

“Someone is moving the dismounted horses, sire. There's enough to form a small unit. Should we not do something about it?”

Gravitus, hearing his [Captain’s] words, notices the horses heading towards the city entrance. Indeed, a skill is being used. Probably by a [Stableman] or [Stablewoman]. Not a [Stablemaster] though, otherwise the horses would be sprinting instead.

“It matters little. Cavalry in the defense of a city is all but useless when compared to our number.”

The [Captains] nod to their [King]’s words. Some show relief, even. It would take many skills and a great deal of danger to catch up and slaughter the horses being taken into the city.

______________________________________________

 

The [Assassin] smiles under his black hood as he traverses under the barely perceptible light of the moon. His [Night vision] allows him to see clearly in front of him, letting him move quickly and quietly without risk of stepping on a branch or, Laverna forbid, tripping.

Nearing the left side of the city wall, he looks towards the front and gazes at the firelight illuminating the two armies. Camps are set up, but not many. The two [Kings] believe themselves capable of taking the city in a day, which, considering the large number of siege towers and battering rams they brought with them, is most likely the case.

Regardless, when he completes his job and murders the [Lady], the whole siege will become so much easier. The aura of the two [kings] would quickly demoralize the defenders without the [Lady]’s own aura protecting them.

At least that's what he was taught about from his masters at the guild. He understands the concept and is even able to hide his presence from it, but his skill is lacking due to his class. Leadership classes are the only type that get skills which utilize aura and even enhance them.

Shaking his head, he moves towards the wall and looks up, a smile growing as he notices a complete lack of patrols. Apparently, Tersus's plan had succeeded and all of the defenders were at the front of the city.

“[Wall Run].” he whispers.

The [Assassin]’s legs begin to move. The gravity pulling him downwards shifts towards the wall and he begins to run up the vertical surface. He quickly reaches the top and then finds it, following his expectations, unprotected.

He jumps down from the wall and into the city streets. The walkways are silent and dark. No light can be seen except from the homes where women, children, and the elderly are probably huddled in fear. If the defenders lose, then the population will more than likely be enslaved.

But that's not his problem. Instead, he begins sprinting towards the central castle.

-------------

It takes the [Assassin] a good five minutes before he arrives, nobody having gotten in his way.

His sight lands on the castle that is surrounded by a moat of spikes and a raised drawbridge.

His glare roams the tower’s exterior. At the top he finds an open balcony with light seeping out.

The [Assassin] snorts and unsheathes his dagger. His eyes focus on the balcony, glowing slightly as his skill begins to activate.

“[Shadow Dash].”

As the words finish, his view changes immediately, his body moving at an imperceptible speed.

He stands on the rafter of the balcony, eyes quickly darting around. He finds nobody in the immediate area.

Gripping his knife and jumping off the rafte, he quickly enters the room, stopping immediately as he meets face to face with the [Lady] that is sitting on a couch and facing his direction.

“Took you awhile. I was beginning to get hungry.”

“What.” the man says as a statement, rather than a question. He is entirely surprised. The [Lady] is a woman of massive girth and fat. Easily over 500 pounds with clearly distinct flaps of lard that can be seen under her dress.

The [Lady] blinks and raises an eyebrow. “Mmmm, an [Assassin]. I must say, I wasn't expecting to meet your kind today.”

She shakes her head, a bored look on her face. She waves her hand at the man.

“Please leave. Your kind is too soft for my liking. Much too easy if you ask me.”

The [Assassin] frowns, his expression turning angry.

He begins moving forward, his knife flickering in his hand.

“Looks like it's going to take a decent bit to take you down. All that skin is going to be annoying to get through.”

His comment gets a sigh from the [Lady].

“I’m going to need new clothes after this.”

The [Assassin] halts his forward movement as the [Lady] stands up, the floor and couch squeaking and groaning in displeasure as her weight shifts.

He doesn't move, not because he can't, but because the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end. A chill runs down his spine as the [Lady] takes a massive step forward, the floor almost bending under her weight.

“Now,” the [Lady] begins, her legs bending, her left palm out while her right hand makes a fist.

“[Martial Art: Body Revision].”

The [Assassin] stares wide-eyed as the woman before him changes. Her body shifts and wiggles, her mass seemingly suctioning into her body, disappearing from view. The stretch of clothing ripping is loudly extenuated from the women. Her body then begins to expand. Thick muscles form around her whole being. Her height seems to increase as she swells to over seven feet. Any cloth previously worn is completely ripped apart, incapable of accepting her new form.

The [Assassin] gazes at the [Ladys] naked new form. Muscles cover her body in such sheer girth and size that her thighs alone are thicker than his waist.

She smiles and her open palm creates a fist. The hired killer can hear her knuckles crack.

“Now then, I do hope you last longer than my father.”

111