Chapter Eighty Six: Name…
2.5k 5 124
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You’ve grown,” Aldonis exclaims while holding his daughter's hand and walking with the army.

“So have you. I didn't even recognize you until the commander said your name.” Thorous exclaims. Her father has greatly changed. He seems to have more scales around his body and they also seem to also be a more vibrant red. Of course, the most distinct difference is how it seems his scales are blurry when focused on.

Aldonis winks and his body becomes blurred for a moment. “Bloodline ability and class. I can create illusions around me whenever I want.”

She rolls her eyes, “It's still good to see you.”

He nods, “I want to say the same, but I don't feel comfortable having you here. It's stupid for you to be here. It’s too dangerous.”

“Stupid? Really?” Thorous points at the crater that they are now walking around, “I don't want to hear that from someone who tried to pick a fight with my commander.”

Aldonis gulps at the sight. If his [Danger Sense] hadn't warned him about his imminent destruction, then he would be a part of that crater.

“Do you think he’s still angry with me?”

Thorous reveals a knowing smile, “You’re still alive, aren't you?”

Aldonis licks his lips. “How strong is he actually? What’s even his class? Are you sure it’s safe to be with him?”

“Ha. Quasi’s the most capable leader I have ever seen. Even you don't compare.”

“I wouldn't go that far.”

Thorous points at the crater.

“Point taken. Don't mess with Quasi.”

“Call him commander. Only a few people are allowed to call him by his name. You're going to need to earn that right.”

Aldonis shakes his head, “This is absurd. I came here to see if there's a threat to the city. Now, I feel like I'm bringing something even worse.”

Thorous chuckles, “The commander single handedly wiped out over five hundred thousand undead in a single moment. I think you should be more worried about him being a threat to only the city.”

“You’re not making me feel any better about this.” Aldonis says with a frown.

His eyes look forward and gaze at the seemingly vulnerable back of the commander as he walks next to Orlan and asks questions. And then his gaze moves to the single-handed/bladed undead that is gazing directly at him.

“Right. He also controls the undead.” Aldonis says.

“Yes, but it would be more accurate to say that he creates them.” Thorous adds.

“What even is his class?”

“Classes. He has several. He’s a [Hero], a [Necromancer], a [Magic Bard], an [Enchanter], and a [Noble].”

Aldonis frowns at the sheer array and quantity of classes.

“I’ve only heard of [Enchanter]. Everything else is completely new to me.” Aldonis says, taking a peek at the other [Captains] as they attempt to get as close to the commander so as to listen in on the conversation he is having with Orlan.

“Well, considering what you said, I guess I’ll need to work with him.”

“For him.” Thorous adds with a smile.

Aldonis frowns, annoyed.

“Whatever. I came to defeat this dungeon. If he has the ability to do so, then I’ll gladly follow him… even if it seems like you all are just blindly following him.”

Thorous chuckles and tightens the hold of her father's hand.

“Don't worry, he’ll prove you wrong.”

Aldonis sighs and smiles at his daughter. He can already feel that she’s become extremely capable. Far more than he ever would have expected her to be in such a short amount of time. He follows her gaze that lands on the commander. A gaze that is identical to the one Arecia would often give him.

His smile is quickly replaced with a hard frown.

“Thorous… tell me everything about him.”

“Um, where do yo-”

“From the beginning. I want to know everything!”

_________________________________________________________________

“Orlan, Orlan, Orlan. I like that name. People must’ve called you by that name all your life, right Orlan?”

Orlan gazes at the scaleless man. He’s clearly not a Gejan, nor is he a Minotaur or Centaur. If he had a tail, then maybe he would consider him one of the Kitsune. But, alas, he doesn't.

“I’m sure you have. And I'm sure you take complete pride in having that name; which makes sense. A name isn't just a name, but it is you. It is who you are as a being.”

Orlan gazes at the man's physique. From it, he can see that the body is young. Very young. At least that's what the feeling he gets from it.

“It's also the reason that I have never changed my name. Even when I was a girl that one time. That was a horrible time. Those are not memories I would want to remember. Especially now that I'm riding a huge amount of adrenaline, dopamine, and a rather unhealthy dosage of testosterone. That last one is rather annoying.”

But when Orlan gazes at the man's eyes… those deep purple glowing eyes, he sees someone older. Far older than even the kitsune that beat Aldonis in a spar.

“You know, Orlan, you’re a great listener. I mean, sure, you aren't Joker great, but you’re up there. Easily top five. And that's saying something.”

The one named Volpe. Her confidence and power had demanded utmost respect. A respect that Aldonis seems to always want to test. At that time, Orlan had followed his instincts and kept his mouth shut.

“But names, now, names are most important in being an anchor. An individual's existential anchor of both the soul and your being. It is what holds our knowledge. Our wisdom. Our experiences. And just like that, we come to the crux of the matter.”

And now, he's not sure if he should stay quiet. Especially since he has no idea what's happening.

“Enlightenment, Orlan! The point of becoming something more. Something that transcends existence. Something that truly takes on the inner form of your name. It is the point that a mere mortal soul is no longer subject to the abyss, but becomes a master of his name. A master of his being.”

Orlan frowns. He still has little idea what this man is talking about.

“And that, Orlan, is what we all truly strive for. What immortality strives for. For our names to become marked by eternity. For us mere mortals to become immortal. For us to become that which is always strived for. For us to become Gods!”

Quasi looks at Orlan expectedly with eyes blazing a powerful purple. His posture is perfect, practically brimming with distracting energy and expectation.

And then the [Necromancer] frowns.

“What?”

Orlan scratches the old dying gray scales on his neck. Scales now being replaced by his formerly younger bluish scales.

“I asked what your name was.”

Quasi blinks. Then he frowns and wipes his face.

“Ughhh, I did it again.”

He turns around, noticing the cheeky smiles of every single individual of his army. Each fully knowing that he started getting off on a tangent again. And each of them had purposely kept quiet.

“Yea… right. Ughhh, that’s embarrassing. My name is Quasi Eludo, Orlan. If I ever start ranting about random crap, please stop me.”

Orlan slowly nods. Still confused, but at least he has a name.

“So, right, I had questions. I’m trying to remember them, but I’m very distracted with a new skill. I’m thinking about how splitting atoms in a mana dense environment seems to retain the destructive capabilities, but without the lasting negative environmental impact. It seems the radiation is immediately absorbed by ambient mana particles which… Well, that's the problem. The crater is expelling concentrated mana of some form. I can't even tell what kind it is or if it can even be used.”

It seems all he will get is a name.

“Orlan, right? I’m Tessa. Do you remember me?” A female Gejan walks up behind him. He looks at her and immediately notices the resemblance.

Orlan’s tail slaps the sand, “Ahhh. You’re Anathema’s child. I’m surprised your mother let you make the journey.”

Tessa smiles. “Yes. I was surprised too.” Tessa gestures at Quasi. ”Anyways. The commander is distracted right now. It's best to leave him to his thoughts. He can be very disorienting when you try to converse.”

Both Tess and Orlan look at the commander. His eyes are glazed, back is hunched, and he’s mumbling.

“-Concentrated fission… reactions...annihilation... mana corroded-”

“I… see. Well then, I don't suppose you can explain the situation to me?”

Tessa nods and begins, all while the great and mighty Quasi attempts to understand his new but apparently complicated skill.

__________________________________________________________________________

Arecia frowns as she watches the large group of Gejan climb the rock structure. Their gazes are focused on her and the wall with interest and curiosity. She would normally have no qualms about accepting these new arrivals; however, her circumstances had recently changed.

She looks behind the approaching Gejan. At the now glass crater whose size can engulf a good deal of the city. She saw an explosion. Even felt it from the walls. When the dust had settled, all that was left was a smoking crater. And now, it looks as though it's made of glass.

“Bronis, what're your thoughts? Should we let them in?”

Bronis flexes his arm, causing his scales to crackle and screech.

“Doesn't matter. We have no other alternative, and we do need that power, whoever or whatever that guy is. Plus, I can see Orlan and Aldonis safely talking with them. So I think it's safe to let them in.”

Arecia slowly nods and turns to a purely white Gejan with green stripes and no scales. The Gejan instead has a smooth exoskeleton. Its face is completely devoid of expression.

“Nighmora, seems as though we have some backup.” Arecia says.

The Gejan’s expression does not move. Its gray eyes merely search for something not there before its mouth opens.

“Inconclusive information. Your judgement is flawed. Species alone is not an adequate measure of safety.” the Gejan speaks. Its voice is monotone and forced.

Arecia frowns, “So what? We’re not to let them in? It's clear they've traveled the floors to get here.”

“Again, you speak in ignorance. I have given no such order and you continue to create your delusional conclusions.”

Arecia groans, “Dammit Nighmora, stop beating around the tail and just tell me what you want.”

“Anger. It is an emotion I struggle to comprehend. It is very illogical.”

“Nighmoraaaa...” Arecia growls.

“I will explain so that your illogical mind may comprehend. The Arazine under my control have revealed to me that there are two unique individuals besides the undead and the centauress. Those two are a species that I, nor my memories are familiar with. One of the species, whose body structure seems to be that of a male, is very likely the leader and is also the sole individual that had caused the crater.”

The white Gejan points directly towards the leading figure.

“That individual is clearly very capable, and possibly even strong enough to destroy us if we are to attempt a full attack. This lack of information on the subject's capability leads me to presume that aggression may very well be met with aggression that I am not adequately confident in to defeat. Thus, our most logical and conclusive choice is to attempt to reason with him.”

...

“Arecia? Your movements are illogical. Why are you wiping your face?”

“Oh yeah. I caaannn’ttt wait till they meet you.”

______________________________________________________________________

“I don't like this. Something is very fucking wrong here.”

Quasi Eludo blinks quickly and finally looks up. His gaze lands on Zorren who is frowning towards the wall.

His gaze moves to the wall. The shiny towering wall with an open entrance at the bottom.

“You’re right, that wall is fucking ugly. It looks like somebody puked on it and the puke hardened and got shiny.”

Zorren looks at Quasi and growls, “No. Look up.”

Quasi looks up to the top of the wall. White and green striped monsters are perched above. Some of them have a very close likeness to Gejan.

“[Advanced Analyze].”

Efrontas - [Myrmeke]

Level 126 [Hammer Archwarrior]

Strength

72

Dexterity

31

Stamina

89

Perception

37

Endurance

30

Vitality

112

Mana

122

M/regen

.4

Affinity

1

Intelligence

23

Willpower

0

Soul

0

Queen Evolution: [Intelligent Myrmeke]: +20 Intelligence

“Eh. It's not as bad as the stupid shiny wall.”

Before Zorren can say anything else, they arrive at the entrance and are welcomed inside by a large crowd of Gejan. Each is waving them in with relieved and curious smiles on their faces. As they enter past the walls, Quasi can't help but be surprised by the massive interior. The city is huge with the entire thing indented into the mountain structure. Stone buildings dot the ground for several miles with the largest building located at the center.

The center, which is marked by a needle shaped crystal jutting out of the stone ground and directly up to the height of the walls.

Quasi looks at Zorren, finding that the Gejan is mimicking the same expression that the others have.

Which can only mean that things have changed drastically since Zorren had been here.

“You dung idiot. What are you doing here?”

Swerving his head, Quasi finds the goofy confident Darrow reeling back as a Gejan female a third of his size glares daggers at him.

“Dammit Darrow. I told you to stay home.”

“But, mom. I’m a [cap-”

“I don’t fucking care what you are! I’m deep within the dungeon, risking my life so that you can have a future, but your tail is here, risking everything!” she yells, practically making a scene.

Quasi chuckles as Darrow’s mother, much smaller than him, berates him at every turn. He takes a moment and casts [Advanced Analyze] on her.

Arecia

Level 88 [Carapace Smith]

Arecia is one of the most talented Gejan Smiths. She is able to bend monster carapace and move it around as though it was made of metal. Thanks to her specialty, she is capable of giving additional benefits to any structure she creates.

Strength

65

Dexterity

41

Stamina

82

Perception

37

Endurance

51

Vitality

81

Mana

543

M/regen

1.5

Affinity

2

Intelligence

72

Willpower

310

Soul

195

Quasi nods, impressed with the woman's level. Crafting classes tend to take a much longer amount of time to level and require a good amount of high level materials to work with.

The army as a whole is quickly funneled into the city and dispersed towards empty residences. The city's size is easily capable of housing a population in the several thousands. Quasi, Zorren, and Jessica are instead being guided by Orlan to the building's center.

“And my daughter is in there?” Zorren asks with a frown. His gaze is directly pointed to the building right next to the crystal needle.

Orlan nods. “Yes… She requested your presence.”

“Zorren, before we meet your daughter, can I check my class on the needle?”

“I will go on ahead,” he states.

Quasi raises his hands, “Fine. Fine. We’ll speak to her first. Jessica, go check your class. Pretty sure the giant needle is the dungeon’s class stone. Maybe you got something good.”

Jessica nods and veers off. Orlan stops at the entrance and waves both Quasi and Zorren inside. Joker enters as well.

“I will wait here for your return,” Orlan says as they pass him by.

124