Chapter Ninety: Party
2.5k 11 119
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alcohol. It's an amazing organic compound with a wide number of uses ranging from sterilization, fuel, and of course, drink.

And let me tell you, Gejan alcohol is strong. Strong enough to actually affect the absurd poison resistance of a species that I’m extremely sure have some significant relation to dragons.

I gaze across the table and see Darrow drooling on the floor.

Well, somewhat significant relation.

“You seem to be able to process this rather unfavorable drink well,” Nighmora says with a curious gaze.

“I have a bunch of fucking livers and they seem to be doing a hell of a job. I don't think I can even get drunk, unlike her.”

I point to my other side where Jessica is passed out on the table with half a drink still in her hand.

Right, our [Arch Priestess] and healer is unconscious during a time where people are ingesting absurd quantities of poison.

I sniff my drink and frown.

“I swear, this shit smells like rubbing alcohol. Weird green rubbing alcohol. Do you really make alcohol from insect blood?”

“Not me specifically, but one of the Gejan has an interesting class called [Distiller] and he makes this… poison. I would have outlawed its usage if not for the impressive way that it increases morale. I can conclude that this drink creates an emotionally positive reaction and that long term usage has so far had no negative effects.”

“Right. Yea, endorphins will do that for you.”

Nighmora perks up, her antennae wiggling somewhat.

“Endorphins. Is that the term for the chemical released in the brain?”

Holy shit. How does she know about that?

“Yes, it is. It's a chemical hormone known for creating a state of euphoria. Or better yet, happiness. You seem to actually understand what I am talking about.”

Nighmora’s tail shakes in the air like a dancing viper preparing to strike. Her gaze is focused squarely on me. Curious and calculating… and something more.

“I know that there are,” she pauses for a moment, “four of these chemical hormones that create such a positive effect. One of them has been recently prevalent in my body.”

I nod.

“It's probably dopamine, maybe even serotonin.”

“I find that such a hormone is prevalent in Gejan during and recently after mating.”

“Aaaannnndddd you’re talking about Oxytocin.”

Oh yea. This just gets weirder and weirder.

Her gaze moves to my arm.

“Interesting. That item attached to your arm. It’s glowing purple. What is it?”

I wave quickly, “Nothing much. Just a magical testosterone suppressor. Not important at all. Instead, let me just make sure I have my information correct. This floor is ruled by [Myrmer Queens] who are parasites that infect corpses and recreate them into a living functional form. These [Myrmer Queens] then gain a unique trait based on the form taken as well as have the natural ability to create minions. Then these [Myrmer Queens] attempt to increase their strength while taking over as many concentrated areas that contain water. Now, the only reason you are different is because you have a vast amount of intelligence. Correct?”

Nighmora wiggles her antennae, a similar expression to someone enjoying themself.

“In a limited sense, that is indeed correct. Now, my intelligence merely allows me to suppress my internal instincts which currently want me to kill and infect everyone around me. Thankfully, the knowledge that the former owner of this body had was immediately available to me.”

I lean over the table, grabbing a piece of weird insect meat. I take a bite, surprised at how flavorful it is.

“Right, can you give me the whole story on how that happened. It seems like a sore point that people avoid.”

“Of course. About ninety cycles ago, a battle had taken place between Nighmora’s team and a swarm. When they were to be overwhelmed, Nighmora ordered her team to retreat while she bought them time. Her combat skills had allowed her to slaughter a significant number before she finally died from her wounds. The enemy swarm then dragged her relatively intact body back towards their [Myrmer Queen]’s lair. It was here that the [Myrmer Queen] chose instead to create me. It was also at that time that I gained sentience. During the two cycles that my body was forming, the rest of the Gejan assaulted the [Myrmer Queen] with most of their force. I believe the term they used is vengeance. Regardless, they won and found me just as I was gaining full control of my body. By then, I had already integrated this body's memories.”

I nod and take another bite. The meat tastes like a combination of frog and beef, with the fat content of pork. Quite tasty and nutritious.

“Mmmm, interesting story. I’m guessing they still consider you their leader even after the transformation?”

“Illogically, yes. Their respect, as they put it, allowed me to command them for tasks. As such, I began shifting and organizing teams. Ordering others to start construction while supplying expendable fodder in the form of my Myrmeke. My decisions drastically increased the survival of all Gejan. This had strengthened my position as the leading figure as well as increased the levels of my class.”

“Oh yea. I also wanted to know about your class.”

Her antennae wiggle quickly even though her facial expressions barely change, though they are fully capable of doing so.

“That would be acceptable. I have skills that I cannot seem to activate.”

“Like?” I ask.

“[Designate Lord] and [Designate Lady]. I had gotten these two skills at level sixty and [Designate Knight] very recently. Those skills do not seem to activate unlike my other ones [Accelerated Construction] and [Chemical Creation].”

Oh damn. She actually has it.

“[Lord], [Lady], and [Knight] are classes that can only be obtained through certain requirements. For example, [Lord] and [Lady] can be either obtained from a [Noble] whose parent had the class and died, or be given the class by a male [King] or female [Queen]. [Knights] are a combat upgrade class to a general combatant. In that sense, how about you cast that [Designate Lord] class on me. I already have the [Noble] class to a relatively high level.”

Nighmora takes a moment and slowly points in my direction.

“[Designate Lord].”

Congratulations. Class upgrade for class [Noble] has activated.

-Scanning all current classes

-Scanning all current levels

-Scanning all current skills

-Scanning all current stats

Skill synergy available. Archetype possible.

Adding archetype [Bone] to class change.

Commencing class upgrade.

Congratulations, your [Noble] class has been removed.

You are now a level 84 [Bonelord]

+10 endurance

+5 strength

+10 stamina

+20 vitality

+100 willpower

+10 charisma

New skill obtained: [Bonelord’s Endurance]

[Bonelord’s Endurance] - Rare

The skeletal structure of the one who possesses this skill will have an increased endurance stat based on their highest leveled class.

Current bonus: 184

Yenow, I can't tell if this is good or not. On one hand, people are going to have a hell of a hard time trying to crush my brain. On the other, the blunt force trauma is still going to kill me.

“Well, it worked. I have a new class and my stats are higher. Even got a new skill that makes my bones harder than steel.”

“What's steel?”

“...Right. Metal is pretty much non-existent here. Anyhow, that's not important. It would be difficult to explain without a way to show it.”

She goes silent, clearly interested on the subject of what steel is. Her perception and mind seem to be very attuned to figuring out information.

“I may know what you are referring to. It is certain basic substances that are completely absent in Gejan.”

Ok. She’s a genius with a subconscious understanding of the periodic table. That’s not normal. Her species is probably engineered or something.

I take the last bite of the meat in my hands, savoring its rather crispy and tangy flavor.

“I’ll explain the elements later. Instead, how about eating with me,” I say as I lean over the table and grab some more meat.

It's a good thing they already learned to cook the meat. I should probably find the [Cook] and ask for the recipe or at the very least ask what the hell I am eating.

“Do not worry, my body is exceptionally efficient at utilizing energy. I only need to consume a little every three days.”

“Damn, that is efficient. I’m guessing you excrete from your tail,” I say, pointing at the damn thing as it seemingly hovers in the air like an armed cobra.

“No. My excretion is done the same as a normal Gejan.”

I raise an eyebrow, looking down between her legs and finding nothing but smooth carapace.

“Um…”

Before I can say anything, her carapace down their shifts to the side. In its place is what I can tell the reproductive organ that is similar to a female Gejan, except her skin is a deep green. Then the structure closes.

“As you can see, this body has the full reproductive and excretory capability of the original host.”

Right… that was actually weirdly hot.

“I do apologise... commander, but we seem to have a possible problem. They told me to come to you.” Looking away from Nighmora, I find Orlan standing next to me and pointing towards a table farther back.

I stand up to take a better look and can't help but laugh. Aldonis is sitting on a chair at a table. His legs are webbed to the floor and his arms to the stone table. In front of him is Peter who is slowly eating meat while looking directly at the drunk yelling Gejan.

“Well Orlan, I asked for a big party. Part of being in a party is messing around with drunks. It's always fun, right Jessica?”

She doesn't answer. The only sound coming from her is her soft snores.

“Glad to see you agree.”

_____________________________________________________________________

Arecia sits atop a building, her hands nursing a drink as she giggles and talks to her lover's daughter.

“Yup, that idiot yelled it to everyone.”

“Really, I can't believe dad would do that. I mean, I guess if a mate yelled to everyone that he was madly in love with me, I can't say what I would do…”

“Oh? You don't have anybody? That's a surprise. I can only imagine the number of people that would want you to carry their child.”

Thorous frowns as her scales begin to turn a brighter red.

Arecia smiles evilly, “You have someone, don't you. Or at least someone you are pining for.”

Thorous burns a very strong red, barely visible thanks to the nearby firelight. But it’s enough.

“So, who is this male? Or is it a female? Maybe the very short white one?”

Arecia points at none other than Lilly who slowly consumes an alcoholic drink while being surrounded by half a dozen unconscious males. Apparently a really long tale is very attractive in females.

“No, I’m into males. It’s just,” Thorous frowns, slowly raising her finger.

“Him? The so-called commander? What do you see in him? He seems rather stuck-up and cocky.”

Thorous chuckles softly, “That's the problem. I think I like that about him. Sure, he’s stuck up, but it’s in a capable way. He’s cocky, but I think it’s because he always finds a way to succeed no matter the opposition.”

“You said that you think you like that about him? Sounds like you aren't sure.” Arecia voices.

Thorous slowly nods, “He has this weird ability to make everyone… horny around him.”

“A lot of capable males have that.”

Thorous shakes her head, “No, I mean he has this, it's confusing, but it is difficult for him to control.” Her words are jumbled, not understanding exactly how to explain complicated genetics and aura.

“Ughhhh, whatever. He’s manipulative and the only way for me to know for sure is to become much, much stronger.”

Arecia chuckles and nods. “I can't argue with that. Strength opens up a lot of choices that you otherwise would not have.”

“Yea…” Thorous begins, calming down as she takes a sip of the drink before gagging.

“Haha, yup, it takes a bit of getting used to.”

“Heh. I bet Darrow would enjoy this,” Thorous says aloud.

Arecia smiles, “My son’s an idiot.” She points right across from Quasi. On the floor is Darrow, drooling with seven empty drinks around him.

Thorous begins to laugh, “My dad isn't much better,” she says, pointing towards her tied up father as he glares hungrily towards Peter who slowly eats his food.

The two girls start laughing, enjoying each other's company, all while Aldonis glares futilely at his slowly disappearing meal.

119