Quick Job
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eyes turned towards me, I tried to act casual, but I felt like it wasn't working. This town isn't exactly big, so what if everyone knows each other? Or it could be my modern attire of a long-sleeved shirt and sweats... "Hello young lad! You from around these parts by any chance?" a burly, short old man asked me. Although he was clearly old, he was very robust. "I'm not, I was actually led here by a girl around my age. I was cleaning myself in a waterfall Southeast of here when I saw her." I replied, not lying since the girl, whom I don't have any sight of, could tell the true story if I did lie. "Where you from boy? We don't get many visitors here." the old man said with a slap on my back. "I'm from America."

"Well, here you go kiddo. Now get to work!" the old man, whose name happened to be Gibbit, said ecstatically. Of course, they wouldn't know what America is, but that's all I could say. Now I'm stuck working to pay for a place to stay... how did I end up in this mess? Will I ever be able to go back home, now that I'm so far from the portal?

My thoughts were interrupted by a throbbing pain in my right hand. Is it that thing the dragon gave me? His 'child' or whatever? Yikes, that's a bit creepy now that I think about it... I hope a dragon doesn't burst out of my- "Hey kid, I'm not paying you to do nothing!" shouted Gibbit. Damn that old man. "Sorry!" I shouted back. To be perfectly honest, this farm job isn't all that bad.

Flopping on top of my bed after a long day of work felt refreshing, almost as nice as my bath earlier in the waterfall that I had after work. The place I'm staying at is a small inn called the Big Boar Inn, and the hospitality exceeded my expectations. I fell asleep quickly, wondering about how I got here and where I am.

Waking up to an unexpected knock, I was met face to face with Gibbit. "Do you know what time it is?" the old man grumbled. "No sir, I don-" I tried to say before I was cut off. "TIME TO WORK BOY, GET OUT IN THE FIELD!"

With the sun not even risen yet, I made my way over to tend to the crops. On my way to the field, I noticed someone watching me from behind a building. Looking at the corner of my eye, it was the girl from yesterday. Not wanting my work interrupted, I turned the other way and continued on.

The cycle of waking up, working on the farm, eating, working, cleaning, and sleeping caused time to pass fast. Before I knew it, I spent 3 weeks in this world. "Wait, didn't I have something to do?" I asked myself as I sat down on my bed. That's right, I had to go to the capital. Looking at my coin pouch, I had 23 silvers and 40 coppers, enough for maybe two nights at a capital inn according to Gibbit. Dozing off, I wondered about when I should leave.

Waking up at the crack of dawn, I headed out onto the field to get to work, when I saw Gibbit talking to a man. Noticing me, he waved the man away and signaled for me to come over. "Who was that?" I asked, my curiosity getting the best of me. "No one you need to know," he replied. "There won't be work on the farm for a few days, so you can rest up." Well, I'll take it, that's for sure. "Gibbit, how can I get to the capital from here?"

0