Chapter 1: “Altering the Fate”
80 4 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     I totally remember the time I met my spirit. It was so sudden that I didn't know what to do. Every time I reminisce about it, it makes me smile but I don't know the reason why. I just know that I'm thankful for meeting her but maybe it was because of that one exact moment when she first appeared on me.

     It was two years ago, I was on my first-year of middle school. I ditched on attending school for the day because I'm too lazy to go. It is mandatory to live separately from your parents when you became a middle schooler so I won't be scolded if I neglect my duties for a day. I decided to rent an apartment that is just five minutes away from my school. The school I'm attending to is one of the traditional type that remained in the entire Japan. Majority of the students there still don't have spirits so that place was intended for spiritless mortals like me

     I decided to play an Advanced VRMMORPG. That was the latest technology of virtual realities. There is a small room in my apartment that was lended for that. There are equipments that were essentials when you need to play it. There are hooks that were hanging in the center of the room and needed to be attached on the suit that I'll wear before playing. Its purpose is to let me maneuver freely inside the room. That thing will let you play the game as if it's the reality.

     I started preparing everything I need. I started around four in the afternoon and finally felt exhausted after playing for seven hours so I decided to quit now. I left the room and checked on the wall clock. It was now eleven in the evening. I was quite late for dinner now. I headed on the kitchen and checked for any foods that I can eat but unfortunately, there isn't any available. There are drone services that can deliver anything I order but it was closed one hour ago. I don't want to go to the convenience store but my stomach is grumbling due to hunger so I have no choice but to go there.

     I wore a jacket and placed my wallet on its side pocket. I left my apartment and proceeded. It was late night already so the place is too quiet. The only sounds I can hear are my own footsteps and breathing. The cold is still penetrating on my body despite of wearing a jacket. The road where I'm currently walking at is quite dark. The street lamps were ten meters away from each other. I tried to hasten my movement to arrive early at my destination. After ten minutes, I finally saw the store.

     I bought two instant ramen cup and a sandwich. I stood in front of the counter for my payment. While the clerk is operating the counter, he suddenly spoke to me.

     "Are you not afraid of the serial killer that's roaming every night, sir?", he asked but not looking to me.

     "I'm more afraid of dying due to hunger," I replied.

     "T-That's a tough answer."

     A week ago, a news about a serial killer started to spread throughout the entire neighborhood. There is still no lead on its appearance so that alone makes the investigation very hard. Its target are the ones who are walking alone in the late night, like me. I'm aware of that but being hungry is like a slow death for me. I still don't have a spirit to protect me so what I'm doing right now is a gamble.

     I left the store after I received my change. I didn't encountered a single person during my trip except that clerk. That killer really made a fearful impact. I'm silently walking on the same path I used earlier when a guy was standing 10 meters away from me. His position was not reached by the light so I can't see him clearly.

     "You're a brave one, aren't you?", he asked to me while giggling.

     "..."

     I didn't responded to him. I suddenly felt the chill ran down on my spine. Don't tell me this is the serial killer the news referring to. This must be the day I was destined to die. It was my fault after all so I guess I'll accept it gladly. I took a step backward and the guy took his slowly.

     He laughed as he proceeded and something materialized on his both hands. He was now under the street lamps and I can now have a sight of him. His face was slightly distorted but his lips is still forming a very sadistic smile that made me coward in fear. His outfit is mostly made of leather.

     "I see. You still don't have a spirit, right?" he asked and started spinning the kukris he's holding.

     I want to turn back and run but I can't. My feet don't want to move as if it has its own mind. The trace of uneasiness fills my entire being for each second that passes by. The man, who is still approaching me, laughed.

     "Too bad! Too bad! You'll become my victim for tonight! Please take it as a honor!" he said and started to dash towards me.

     I turned back and started to run as fast as I can. I intentionally dropped the plastic bag I'm holding because it will be an obstruction to me. I took a peek behind me and saw that he's quickly closing the gap between us. He's too fast. This is very unfortunate for me. I'm currently under a lamp and saw a shadow from above. I saw that he jumped and I reflexively tumbled on my right. I evaded his downward slash. That's right. I have the experience to use in this kinds of situation. I need to do it right now.

     I tried to get away from him and to seek for help. I just hope I can encounter someone that can help me here. He repeatedly stops on running everytime he strikes me but I'm evading it everytime. This is maybe the fruits of being a gamer.

     "You're a hard to catch prey, kiddo! But that is what makes it challenging," he provoked.

     I took a turn on the playground on my left and looked to him again. But the worst misfortune I can experience descended upon me. I stumbled and fell on the ground. I crashed so hard as if an electrical shock quickly traveled on my whole body. It hurts to the point that I can't even turn my own body. I tried to twist my body facing to the kukri guy and it was a success. I can't stand know due to the pain I received. He saw me and stopped running to walk again.

     "In the end, you'll still die, huh? Don't you know the praise 'resistance is futile'?"

     This is it. Of all the stupidness I've done in my entire life, this one will lead me to death. He halted and looked to me like with a predator's eyes that was looking on its poor prey. He took a deep breath and started to talk again.

     "Say goodbye to this world, mortal," he said and took a big jump towards me. He's ready to strike me with his right kukri and I closed my eyes for me to not see him. I already accepted my own death but I suddenly heard metals that clashed in front of me.

     "Huh?", the perpetrator asked in wonder.

     I tried to open my eyes. I saw a black figure standing and crossed swords with the kukri guy. She's wearing a black hooded coat that hides her entire frame. The newcomer lifted herself and kicked her enemy on the chest using her both feet that caused the guy to be knocked back by at least three meters. She immediately rushed the enemy but the latter quickly slided his feet on the ground and performed a defensive stance. It's the best way to do since the black girl's offense was too fast.

     Maybe she's a spirit of an "Enforcer", the elite organization that eliminates those who disrupts world peace. I tried to scan my surroundings but no matter how intensive search I do, I can't find a single person that's currently watching us.

     The black girl made rapid slashes to her enemy but it was always easily blocked. There are sparks everytime the blades collide into each other. Despite of holding her katana with only her right hand, there is no sign of it being separated from her as if it is literally a part of her body.

     She's pressuring her enemy by not letting him do any counterattacks. The kukri guy is totally on the defensive side. The latter tried to kick the girl on her left side but the girl immediately placed her left foot into her enemy's foot and jumped using her right. She slightly twisted her body and kicked her enemy in the left side of his face. The kukri guy was sent flying to the side and stopped when he hitted a nearby tree. The impact was so strong that the tree slightly shook and some leaves fell on it.

     The kukri guy's body touched the ground after the impact. The girl repositioned herself and is now facing her enemy. She didn't waited another second and rushed again towards her enemy. The kukri guy came back to his senses after noticing that his enemy's coming to him. He tumbled to his right and stood up quickly to return to his defensive stance.

     The battle I'm seeing right now is definitely one-sided in favor of the girl. She's slashing her enemy with ease and precised movements. The kukri guy is now having a hard time blocking every incoming strike because of the damage he had taken. I can see he was totally pissed. He wants to end the battle quickly and return to his waiting prey.

     "How dare you disturb me?!", the guy shouted and performed more heavier strikes.

     But that is still not enough against his enemy. He moved his right kukri downward targeting the girl's right shoulder but it was blocked by the girl's katana. He then immediately swayed his left hand targeting the girl's left body but the girl pushed her katana causing her enemy to off-balance. She spun counterclockwise and sliced cleanly through her enemy's body. It was very fast that even the kukri guy can't even deflect it. The ends of the girl's black coat sways. Blood gushed from the kukri guy as his body was horizontally divided in half. Particles of light appeared on nearby him and he slowly faded into the night.

     The battle was finished and the black girl won. I tried to stood up and wiped the dust on my shorts. She turned her body to me and walked until she's only half-meter away from me.

     "T-Thank you very much for saving me," I said and politely bowed my body.

     Damn. It hurts. My clumsiness hitted me really hard. I remained in my position for three more seconds waiting for her response but I didn't heard anything. I lifted my body and saw that she's just looking on me. Her hands were inside of the side pockets of her coat. She's wearing a white school vest with red linings on it and a black skirt on her lower body. Her face is fully covered by a skull mask so I can't totally see her expression right now. Based on her overall appearance, she probably came on a world same as the Earth. I don't know why but she seems extremely familiar to me. I'm definitely sure that this is my first time seeing her but it looks like I already knew her.

     "W-Where is your master?", I timidly asked her.

     She raised her right hand and extended it on her front. She pointed her finger in my direction. I looked behind but I didn't see any person so this made me quite confused.

     "D-Do you refer me... as your master?"

     She nodded once and lowered her hand. Wait a minute. This is my first time seeing her. I didn't even make any contract with any spirits. I'm sure of it.

     "I'm sorry to say but I'm not your master."

     She took two steps forward and placed her right hand on my chest. "This sensation...", I murmured. I suddenly felt nostalgia. I want to cry but I don't know the reason why. I feel like I'd experienced this scene somewhere but I don't know when. I'm even sure that I didn't saw this in my dreams. My mind slowly becoming fuzzy with each second that passing by. I sensed that there is something very important that I forgot and needed to be remembered. I don't understand what I'm thinking right at this moment. I guess I'm overthinking so I shifted my attention to something else. I noticed that she's shorter than me by at least two inches. She stares on her hand that was now on my chest.

     "You... want me to become your master?"

     She nodded again her again and looked to my face. Despite of her skull mask that hides her face, I can feel that our eyes met.

     A thought unexpectedly popped on my head. What happened to this girl in her first life? I can't definitely say what is it but she probably undergo an experience that is way far beyond on what a normal human can handle.

     "I don't have the strenght to become your master. But I'll try to do my best to become one for you," I said to her with a smile full of confidence.

     She nodded again and she slowly started to fade. For every part that disappear on her, my body slowly feel heavier. She was completely gone in my sight now and I feel very tired. I want to take a long sleep right now so I decided to head back to my apartment

*****

     "Stacia," I said directed to no one.

     A girl in black coat appeared on my front. She's the spirit that saved me two years ago. Eventhough we're together for that period of time, I didn't know any single detail about her identity and story. I didn't hear her voice even once and her response to me is always either nod or shake her head. All I know is that she loves chocolates and has an extraordinary swordmanship.

     Summoning her for the first time was very hard on my part since I forgot to ask her name that moment. If you want to summon your spirit, you just need to invoke the spirit's true name but the problem in my case is that I don't know it. I ended up naming her Stacia because it was the first name that came on my mind.

     "Can we do some sparring right now?", I asked and prepared a katana on my right hand.

     A katana materialized on her left hand telling me that she accepted it. We will do our sparring inside the room on my apartment. I added some functions on the wall that allows me to transfer the properties of my room into an illusion so it doesn't matter if I destroy everything here, as long as the illusion is activated, the reality won't be affected.

     We started to fight but I didn't even last a minute on her. She's too great to the point that it seems impossible to defeat her. It was my 564th time losing and no winning to her. Is there any way to even put a scratch on her? I panted for few seconds and deactivated the illusion of the room.

     It was 11am and I decided to prepare the meals for us. Spirits can totally live like what a mortal do. They can sleep, eat, and do whatever they want as long as it does not violate the universal law. While waiting for the food to be cooked, I looked at my phone for updates about the form I gave to the Pacific Fourth Spirit Academy for my enrollment there as a high school student. There is only two weeks left before the school year starts. There is still no notification eventhough I submitted my form one week ago.

     The food was ready to serve and I placed it on the table. I called Stacia, who stayed on the room, and she sat on the chair beside me. She doesn't want to show her face when eating so I'm not allowed to look to her during that time. I want to take a peek everytime but I need to respect her feelings. There must be a reason behind it.

     We finished eating and I headed to the kitchen to wash the dishes. She's still sitting on her chair doing nothing. She looks like a dog that always waiting for her owner's order. I feel bad for her because she prefers to follow every order I say to her. I told her one time that she didn't need to do it and instead, do what she wants to do, but she disagreed.

     I was done on doing chores when my phone rang. I looked at it and received a message. It was from Pacific Fourth telling me to come tomorrow to their office. Finally, I now have a scheduled interview for my dream academy. Pacific Academy is the most advanced academy for spiritual pairs. They were so strict to the point that all students there won't be able to connect to the outside world while they're inside. The only time outsiders can see the students is during the Pacific Prix, the competition  between its four branches, starting from Pacific First up to Pacific Fourth that is held every December and is broadcasted live in television.

     I also aim to Pacific Academy because of my older sister that entered Pacific First two years ago. The last time we saw her is on the Pacific Prix, where she fought against a student from Pacific Third in the finals. She lost the tournament but her name was widely spread across the entire academy due to her extraordinary abilities. She was even called "Pacific Maiden" as a way of recognizing her. I decided to inquire on Pacific Fourth because it is the farthest branch on Pacific First.

     I started to prepare myself and also the things I needed to bring with me because I need to go to my parents' house.

     "Return."

     Stacia disappeared. That was the word I need to say everytime I want to dismiss her. I left my apartment and took a taxi. I reached my destination after a hour. I took a step outside of the taxi and started to walk towards the door. It was a traditional house, purely made of wood, with a garden on front of it. I pressed the doorbell beside the door and an old woman from the inside opened it for me.

     "Grandma," I said to her slightly bowing my head.

     "Hiji! I'm happy you visited us," she said making a bright smile on her face.

     She invited to come inside and escorted me until we reached the living room. I sat in front of the low wooden table and waited for her to come back with my parents this time. This is my first time here after four months. My last visit to them was last christmas. The interior is spacious but it lacks on items available. The only things I can see are the television, a low wooden table, a bookshelf, and a cabinet. But despite of being simple, the ambiance here is really soothing.

     I was gazing the entire room when the sliding door sounded. I looked on it and saw three figures entered the room. The other two were in traditional japanese outfits that fits perfectly to them.

     "Father. Mother," I said and immediately stood up to greet them.

     "It was rare for you to visit us, Hiji," my father said in a coarse voice.

     "Please take a seat first, Hiji," my mother said and sat on her usual place.

     Me and my father also sat beside the wooden table. My grandmother left to prepare some snacks and drinks. The room was filled in silence. They're probably waiting for me to speak up. I'm sure they're surprised by my unexpected appearance here since I only go here every special occassions and holidays.

     "Uhm...", I initiated to speak first.

     "I'm sorry that this is sudden but I decided to enter Pacific Fourth," I continued and slightly lowered my head.

     "Well, we expected that you'll enter Pacific Academy. You want to follow Hira, aren't you?", my father asked. "But why in Pacific Fourth? She's in Pacific First, right?"

     "It's true that I want to follow her. But I don't want to enter the same exact academy with her. I want to see her personally but not too often."

     "I see," my father nodded and placed his right hand on his chin. His face is so scary.

     "Are you sure you can do it, Hiji? I heard that Pacific Academy is very strict," my mother said in a worried tone.

     "I'm fine, mother. I have Stacia to be with me there."

     They met Stacia on the day of christmas two years ago. They were quite shocked by her appearance because they think that she's an assassin in her past life thanks to her black coat and especially, to her skull mask. I think that makes sense.

     "Think about your decision again, Hiji," my father said. "Your sister entered the academy because she knows her spirit's capabilities, thanks to their bond that they created for at least a decade. You just met Stacia two years ago but you still not know her extent."

     He's right. I don't know what Stacia's skill can do. Is it a buff on her? Or a fatal attack against her enemies? I don't have any idea about it. All I know is her swordsmanship skills.

     "I-", I halted for a second and took a deep breath. " I put my trust in her. I'm sure she can help me rise to the top and to achieve my dream to be a member of 'Enforcers'. No. No. I'll rephrase what I said. I'm sure we can help each other," I replied to him and stared on him.

     "You have a point, Hiji. But relying on that one purpose is absurd. What will you do if you encountered a spirit there that can even warp space and reality?"

     "I- I just know that we'll protect each other. I'm sorry. My reasoning is not acceptable for the both of you," I said in an almost inaudible voice.

     "It's okay, Hiji. I honestly felt relief knowing that someone like Stacia is on your side," my mother said and smiled.

     "I guess your mother is fine on your decision. I guess I have no choice," father said before sighing then he continued. "I have only one request for you," my father said in a very authoritative tone. "Just don't push yourself. That's all."

     "Yes. Thank you very much," I replied and bowed my body.

     My mother smiled on what father said. Despite of being strict, father is supportive on us especially on our decisions. He stood up and headed for the door to leave but he looked back on me.

     "You're planning to stay here for the night, am I wrong?"

     "Y-Yes."

     "If you passed the exam, you should spend your remaining time here before entering the academy. We won't be able to see you after that for three years," he said and left.

     I spent time with my mother and grandmother talking about different stuffs we want. We talked for hours and because we enjoyed it, we didn't noticed that it was already one hour before the dinner. We prepared our dinner and finished eating.

     I took a bath and wore my clothes before heading back to my room. The floor was covered in tatami and the only items available are the bag I brought and a small cabinet. There is a futon that was already laid down. I summoned my spirit and she appeared in front of me.

     "Tomorrow will be our first real fight. I'm sorry I put you in that kind of situation," I said to her and rubbed my right hand on the top of her head.

     Doing this is everytime stimulates my mood and I think she's enjoying it. She didn't responded on what I said so I assume that it's fine to her. She's one of the reasons why I want to attend Pacific Fourth after all. I want to control her properly.

     I guess I want to sleep with her... I want to- Ah! No! No! That's not what I mean! I just want to have her a rest in her physical form and be prepared for the next day but there is only one futon here. Sleeping in her physical form has a different feeling from slumbering on her spiritual form. It will be a terrible idea if we sleep very close on each other. I stared at the futon for at least three seconds before I came up with a solution.

     "Stacia. You should use the futon to sleep. That's an order from me," I said to her and continued to rub her head.

     She looked on the futon behind her and she nodded after she returned her gaze to me.

     "I'll go take a fresh air outside. Just don't mind me. You should take care of yourself first," I stated to her while smiling.

     I left the room and grabbed some snacks on the kitchen. I decided to kill some time on the hallway where I can see the front garden. I sat there and did nothing except munching and sipping my green tea while staring blankly into the night sky.

     The wind is quite cold but it is very refreshing to the feeling. It is in perfect temperature so I'm sure I won't freeze even if I sleep here right now. I'm gazing into the stars thinking about the exam that I'll take tomorrow. It was confirmed that every 10 out of 100 always passed the test. There is no preview or details on what kind of exam we will take. Few minutes after, I heard footsteps that's coming near to me. I looked to its direction and saw a girl in black outfit.

     "Stacia. You can't sleep?", I asked.

     She didn't responded to me but instead, she just sat down beside me and leaned her head on my shoulder. She placed both of her hands on her lap. I can hear her soft breathing in the silence of night. I admit that my heart is beating fast right now. I can say that I'm quite embarrassed. She's doing this everytime and I let her do it but I can still feel the same emotion anytime. I want to stand up right now and go back to my room but I don't want to disturb her. I ordered her to take a sleep while she's in her physical body but she wants to do it on me. I guess pulling an all-nighter won't make any difference on my performance tomorrow.

3