Chapter 2: “A Student’s Perspective”
41 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     The sunrise happened a hour ago but I still didn't get any sleep because Stacia enjoyed sleeping on my shoulder. She woke up when my grandmother saw us and told me that breakfast will be prepared anytime soon. It was still seven in the morning. The rays of the sun reaches most of the part of the garden and the hallway where we currently are is a no exception. I offered myself to help preparing the breakfast but I was ordered to just wait on the dining room.

     Me and Stacia, who just woke up recently, headed for the dining room. Father and mother were already there waiting.

     "Good morning," I said.

     "Good morning, Hiji. It looks like you didn't get a good sleep," my mother said.

     "I just hope it won't affect your performance," my father said while his arms were crossed and not looking on me.

     We sat down on the chair and food was served to us after a few minutes. We ate together while talking about different stuffs. After eating, I immediately arranged myself because the time for my meeting is nine in the morning. I took a bath, wore my casual clothes, and left the house.

     I started to walk going to the place where the office was located. The address was, of course, given but it's my first time going there so I'm expecting that it will be inside a luxurious building. I traveled for 40 minutes by train and 20 minutes by walking. I searched in the internet while looking on my surroundings to check if I'm not lost. The place where I'm currently in is a street full of cafes and bars. I tried to ask someone to confirmed that this place is the one I'm searching for and they said that it's the same. This is ridiculous!

     The exact place I'm looking for is a... maid cafe?! What the hell is happening here?! Are they playing with me? But there's no way that they'll do it! I don't want to enter here but I'm hesitating whether to do it or not.

     "Ahh! This is freaking unreasonable!", I shouted in my mind.

     After seconds of thinking, I finally decided to enter this maid cafe. There is a sign in front of the door that has cat designs on it. Well, it was expected. I opened the door and right after I took my first step inside-

     "Good meowning, master! Kyun!", a maid wearing cat ears greeted and came to me. Her black hair sways left and right everytime she took a step. Her crimson eyes does not fit her image of being a maid.

     "Uhm...", I'm really embarrassed right now. What if I got the wrong address? But I need to asked her about that. "I-Is this the 57th Pacific Office?"

     The maid created a smirk on her face. "Oh?! You want to enroll, master? Kyun! Follow me, master. I'll give you some entertainment. Kyun! Kyun!", she said and started to walk away from me

     I followed her while I'm like being cautious to the surroundings. There's only few customers here and all of them were entertained. And speaking of, don't tell me that you'll entertain me! You'll cause misinterpretation on those who hear you. And besides, what's that "Kyun kyun" thing?! You're image is like a sadistic maid and it does not make you- You're cute to be honest.

     She led me into a door and a man was sitting on behind a wooden table that was facing the door. He's typing on a computer but he stopped when he noticed us.

     "An enrollee, I assume? Come seat here," he stood up and pointed his hand on the chair near him.

     "T-Thanks," I said and sat on the chair.

     "Thanks for aiding her, Neko-nyan-chan," the man said.

     "Don't thank me, stupid bitch. When will I receive my salary?", the maid's voice totally changed.

     A strong blizzard suddenly occurred right now. Her way of treating her superior is very unexpected on my side. It feels like she's a different person. She's a cute cat maid earlier but now, she's a delinquent that is ready to punch anyone without any particular reasons. I accidentally imagined her handling her customer like this. But I think, instead of being scared, customer-san will probably worship more this sadistic maid.

     "You'll receive your salary next week, Neko-nyan-chan... Why can't you wait?", the man replied while giggling. He's handling her like he experienced this countless times before.

     "You want me to deliver you right now to the hospital?," the maid took a step forward.

     "I'll give you compensation. Just don't complain for this week."

     The maid sighed, "I guess I'll wait. If I didn't get my salary next week, go reserve a hospital room," she said and left the room.

     "Well. Well. Let's get down to business," the man said and sat down as if nothing happened.

     "Fill up this form and after it, I'll ask you some questions," he said and handed me a pen and piece of paper.

     After I grabbed the black pen, I wrote down the basic informations and some details needed. He also questioned me and I answered fluently. After it, he told me to proceed to the door behind him because the actual test lies there. Just how many rooms do I need to enter before the trial? I stood up and bowed to him to go to the another room.

     The room was dark. I can't see anything. I summoned my spirit and I can sensed that she's on her guard. After taking several steps, light spread throughout the room. The room is too spacious and the wall is painted plain white with no other designs on it. I saw a guy wearing a leather shirt with some metals on it. He's also wearing a gauntlet that was colored in red. He stood in front of us while smiling and preparing his knuckles as if he's expecting us.

     "Yo. So you're my enemy this time," the man said.

     Stacia prepared herself by materializing her katana on her left hand and prepared her stance. Wait... Left hand? Isn't she right-handed? I didn't expected that she's ambidextrous because I always see her wield her weapon on her right hand. She didn't even holding it with her both hands. I wonder if her fighting style will be different this time.

     I grabbed the hilt on my left waist and the actual blade appeared. So the illusion was already activated. I also prepared my stance by slightly twisting my upper body to my right side and lowering my both hands.

     "You will pass the trial if you inflicted a fatal strike on me. You'll fail if both of you received the same. Is that clear?", the man asked.

     "Yes. Thank you very much," I said but I didn't bowed because he might caught me off-guard during that.

     "If that so... Then, I apologize in advance," he said and- He disappeared?

     Where did he go? I didn't even blink! The only thing I'm sure is that he's here inside this room. I quickly scanned my surroundings but there are no traces of him. It looks like he's not here earlier or he didn't even exist here. I shifted my body to look behind when-

     "You're too slow!", a voice from behind said and when I saw who it is, his fist is just an inch away. Damn. I can't either block or evade it.

     "I-It hurts!", I shouted in my mind. I received a direct hit on my left cheek that caused me to be knocked back by at least five meters. Good thing we're inside an illusion. If not, I'm sure I'll suffer from having bone fracture or even dislocation. Stacia started to strike her enemy but it was successfully blocked each time by her enemy's hands. I can see that Stacia's katana can't penetrate the guy's gauntlet. After several strikes, the guy found an opening by sweeping Stacia's left foot and this caught the latter off-guard. The enemy performed a right lower jab targeting Stacia's abdomen. It hitted but she only moved two steps backward but I'm sure it damaged her.

     "Ho? You're quite strong, aren't you?" the enemy said and grinned. He was about to execute another punch.

      My body still aching but I need to help Stacia. My conscience will hunt me if she receive further damage because I dragged her here. I rushed towards him and when he noticed me, he halted his attack on Stacia and shifted his attention to me. Stacia also regained her usual pace and returned on striking the enemy.

      The enemy is still blocking both of our attacks with ease. It looks like he's experienced in this kind of situation. He did say that we're his enemy this time so maybe he always fights against other spiritual pairs. We took turns on striking him. I noticed that Stacia's movement became snappy. Is handling her katana on her left hand makes her faster? This is not the time to think about. Three minutes had already passed but we're obviously still not on the winning side.

     The enemy stomped the ground that caused me and Stacia to be pushed away ten meters from him because of the gust created by it. He put some distance to us and he lowered both of his hands.

     "I commend you for keeping up until now," he said and grinned. "I'll show you my skill as a reward for your toughness."

     The guy bumped his fists together in front of his chest and flames slowly engulfed the gauntlets he's wearing. The flame covered his entire arms after a few seconds.

     "Let's roll!", he shouted and- he's now in front of me?! Did his movements also became faster?! This is bad. I need to do something or else I'll fail.

     His searing right hand is now just six inches away from my face. I was about to receive a direct hit from him. I was about to evade when Stacia blocked the enemy's fist using her katana. She's trying to push her katana going to her right side but she can't. The enemy's punch is too powerful. I took a spin and performed a horizontal slash but the enemy took two steps backward and disappeared again.

     My body voluntary returned into defensive stance to practice caution. I tried to scan my surroundings again. The only thing I can see on him are the remnants of his flames. Stacia also doing the same thing as me but suddenly, I felt that something is coming from behind. Good thing that Stacia is in front of me and she knows my plan.

     "That trick won't work again on me," I said and bended my body backward. I was right. I saw him planning to use the same trick earlier. But I anticipated it. Stacia immediately took a step towards me and created a horizontal arc through her katana. The enemy crossed his arms on his front to blocked it. I quickly twisted my feet and took a leap towards him. I'm not sure but I guess he was shocked by what I did.

     I pressured him by continuously striking him. I can't see him because of the flame between us. I took this as an opportunity to slash him faster and faster. Because of the flame he's emitting, he can't see this side and probably he thinks right now that Stacia is also attacking her but what she's doing right now is-

     "T-That caught me, huh?" the guy said and he slightly lowered his arms. He was stabbed by Stacia from behind. I let him think that the two of us attacking him but the reality is, Stacia is behind me waiting for a perfect timing to go to the enemy's back and stab him. It was a success.

     "Ok. Ok. I lost. Please pull that thing from me," the guy said and raised both of his arms as a means of surrendering. The flames on his arms also faded. Stacia pulled her katana from the enemy's body.

     "That was quite unexpected. I thought the both of you are attacking me. I commend you for that strategy," the guy said while rubbing his right hand on the stabbed part of his body.

     "Thank you very much," I replied and bowed my head.

     "You've passed the trial. That means that you are now a student of Pacific Academy," he said and made a thumbs up on his left hand.

     "Return to the receptionist and give this to him. This is the proof that you've passed the trial," he said gave me a piece of round metal. The  academy crest was carved on it.

     I thanked him once again and returned Stacia. I gave the crest to the receptionist that entertained me earlier and asked me some questions again like on what branch would I like to attend. He also instructed me to state the kind of weapon I want to use and what components it will be made of. They accepted the design and told me to go to the nearest port from here two weeks from now.

     It seems like the warm rays of the sun congratulated me after I took my first step out of the office a.k.a. maid cafe. I'm very happy! I want to shout and tell everyone that I'm now a student of Pacific Fourth! My intense training paid off. Of course, Stacia is one of the major reasons why I achieved the first step towards my dream. I want to properly thank her for giving her best earlier so I decided to treat her a lots of chocolates.

*****

     My family was more overjoyed than I am after hearing the news. My grandmother went shopping because she wants to have feast on our dinner to celebrate my admission to Pacific Fourth. My mother went singing very loudly to express her joy. My dad was calling all of his friends to boast my recent achievement. When it comes to the amount of happiness they feel right now, the latter is in the first place. I was told by my father that training will be prohibited for the next two weeks for me and Stacia to rest.

     During the first week, I slept for at least 14 hours a day. I'm making up for all the fatigue I felt during middle school and pulling an all-nighter every night. I also gave Stacia lots of chocolates. She gladly accept it and I can see behind her skull mask that she's very joyful. But she just ate it all in just one go. I'm quite worried that she might get diabetes or she will become fat.

     Four days before I enter Pacific Fourth, we received a call and it was mother who answered it. The telephone was quite far from the living room so I can't hear the conversation between her and the caller. Few minutes had passed when my mother called me.

     "Hiji. You have a call."

     Curiosity slowly fills up my mind that time. I thought the call was for her since she answered it for minutes. Then why is it suddenly became mine? I just politely stood up and and she handed me the phone.

     "Hello," I said in a slightly irritated tone.

     "Hiji! I finally heard your voice after two damn years!", the very shrieking voice on the other side said. I suddenly felt completely irritated after recognizing the owner of it.

     "What do you need, Hira-neechan?"

     "Awww! Is that how you treat your future wife?," she said while giggling. I can imagine her pouting.

     This is the first time I heard her voice after two years. She can't connect to the outside world because she's a student in Pacific First, specifically an incoming third-year student. By the way, I'm wondering about something.

     "How did you manage to call here? Is that an easy way to be expelled?"

     "How dare you ignore your future wife?! I swear I'll force you- No, I'll let you to marry me voluntarily right after I graduated here," she replied with a brimming confidence on her voice.

     This stupid older sister of mine has a brother complex. She's smaller to me by a huge difference of 20 centimeters so she looks like she's in love with her older brother. She's already like this ever since her first year in middle school. I can't even tell whether she's joking or dead serious about it. And two years had passed, she didn't changed or the right words were... she changed but it became worse.

     "It's a very long story. But don't worry, I have the permission of the academy principal. By the way, Hiji. Give me some update about you," she said.

     "And why should I do it?"

     "You know? Because I miss you. Did you know that I always dream about you?", she replied while laughing.

     "Are you a freaking pinheaded girl? I don't feel any romantic love towards you and please stop it. It makes my stomach churns," I said and hesitating whether to end the call or not.

     "Fine. Fine. I'm gonna see you next year, after all," she said as if she calmed down.

     "It won't happen. I'm entering Pacific Fourth this year," I replied to her but the other side became totally silent.

     Five seconds had passed but I only heard nothing from her side. Did it surprised her? I tried to open my mouth and say something to break this awkward silence.

     "I-"

     "Tell me, Hiji. You're kidding right?", she interrupted and I noticed that her voice now was in a very serious tone.

     "I met my spirit during summer vacation last two years ago. It was a week after you entered the Pacific First."

     "That's not what I mean. I'll rephrase it. Are you serious about entering Pacific Fourth?"

     What's wrong with her? Her annoyingly stupid voice was gone and replaced by a voice that makes her look like a prosecutor. Is there something wrong being a student in Pacific Fourth?

     Hira-neechan sighed and continued, "Look, Hiji. The world you'll enter is not that easy to thrive to. It was already a miracle that this will be my last year and I don't have any guarantee that I can graduate. I might receive an  expulsion notice anytime."

     "Why are you telling me this? I know that they're strict. But is there something wrong with it?"

     "I can't say the details, Hiji. But if you want to survive there, you should perceive even the smallest information you can get. I know this makes you confuse but please trust me this time."

     Every word she said was spoken in a very earnest way. I don't want to believe her but I can't. And why did she used the words "thrive" and "survive"? What does she mean by it? There was no any details on the internet on what's inside the Pacific Academy so having a student there, like Hira-neechan, tell me about it makes me really terrified.

     "I'll ask you this, Hiji. Is that spirit of yours important to you to the point that you're willing to enter hell?"

     I couldn't give a response to her answer. Stacia is important to me. She's like my best friend. If I need someone I can talk to, I can just summon her and she will listen to me no matter how long or boring my story was.

     "I want to control her properly. I want to create bonds with her not just by having normal conversations everytime and I'm sure I can achieve it there. And besides, I'm aiming to become a part of 'Enforcers'," I replied slightly lowering my head.

     "Is that the only reason?," she asked and I can imagine her surprised face right now. "You should back out now, Hiji. I'm not telling you that I don't have trust in you. It is just I'm worried about you. In fact, majority of the students here are troubled on how they can survive each day here."

     "That's... a serious problem," I murmured but she probably heard it.

     Hira-neechan sighed and continued, "Don't take it lightly, Hiji. I'm in the peak of my no-nonsense side."

     "You're now creeping out the every fiber of my entire being, don't you?"

     "I don't want to do it but I'm just concerned on my future husband. If possible, I want to go to you and comfort you until we die."

     Why did I even bothered myself to answer her? She's just an annoying brat that always telling me how much she loves me. I never even dreamed of having an older sister like her.

     "I'm sorry, Hira-neechan. But my decision is final," I said after I regained my composure.

     "If that's what you said, then I can't object it now but I assume that our parents know this already. I'll give you one last advice as a student of Pacific Academy... No, as your older sister. Just be prepared. That's all."

     "I'll keep that in mind," I said.

     "Oh! I now know the real reason why you want here! You just want to see me, right? I know it! I didn't expected that you'll fall in love with me right now," she said and returned to her usual stupid self. "But why didn't you chose Pacific First?"

     "I admit that I want to see you personally. But I don't want that a mindless idiotic older sister will keep pestering on her little brother everytime they see each other," I replied in an annoying tone.

     "Ehhhhh? B-B-But this will be a perfect opportunity to show to the whole world my love to my little brother!," she complained.

     "Like I said earlier, the only love I feel for you is familial love. Why is that simple sentence can't penetrate your thick-headed skull?"

     "Because I know that you'll fall in love with me in the future. Just thinking that we'll be married is making my heart race, and y-y-you want to see me? I-I-I-," she suddenly interrupted her speech because I think she can't contain her excitement anymore.

     "Just one more word about it and I'll go end this nonsense call," I threatened her.

     "You're a meanie, Hiji," she said and I heard a "hmmp" sound to her. I'm sure she's pounting.

     "By the way. Where's father and grandmother? I want to talk to them."

     "They're not here. They probably went to our store in Chiba."

     "Aww. I called in a wrong timing. But I guess it's okay because I heard my future husband's voice."

     "Okay, goodbye," I said and I was almost drop the phone but I halted when I heard her saying, "No! No! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!"

     "If your business here is done, then go end this call. No. You should end your life. You're already ruining my entire year."

     "Don't be a tsundere-type boy, Hiji. Deep inside, you know that you- Ah! Sensei! Ehhhhh?! B-B-B-But-!,"

     The last part is not directed to me but to someone near her. I heard the word "sensei" so I'm sure she's referring to an instructor there.

     "I'm sorry, Hiji. I'm almost out of time! This is goodbye, Please give my regards to father and grandmother. I'll expect to see you at the Pacific Prix, okay?"

     "I'll try my best."

     "O-Okay! I-I don't want to have a penalty so g-g-goodbye, my future husband," she said while sobbing and the call ended.

     She's a real pain in the ass. She's making me irritated everytime. But talking to her for the first time after two years is not a bad thing at all. I guess I want to talk to her for a little longer but some rules are probably limiting her actions there. I didn't bothered myself on thinking about that rule because I'll eventually know it four days after. I decided to head to my room instead take another good sleep because the day that I'll take my first step on the place where can I achieve my dreams draws closer.

3