Chapter 9: “Reminiscence”
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     It was already nine in the evening but my body still didn't want to fall into sleep. Some of my joints were aching because of the fights earlier. I ate a lot during dinner but it's not enough to replenish the energy I spent. By the way, I apologized to Stacia right after we returned to my room and she nodded telling me that it's okay. She really is an understandable person.


     I forced myself to sleep and fifteen minutes had passed when my body, finally surrendered to my will. I gently turned my body rightward, giving me the most comfortable position. The silence helped me to fall into slumber when-


     "Requesting access."


     A robotic female voice echoed in the entire room. I opened my eyes and slowly stood up to go to the monitor beside the door to see who the heck disturbed me in the middle of the night. There, I saw a short pink-haired girl carrying a plastic bag on her right hand and there's a school bag that was hanging on her left shoulder. She placed her phone again on the scanner and the female robotic voice spoke the same words again. I opened a door to see a stupid idiot, who smiled after seeing me.


     "Why are you here?"


     "Isn't that obvious? Of course I'll sleep here!" she replied energetically.


     "H-H-H-Ha?!"


     D-D-Did I heard it right? She will spend the night here together with me? It is not a problem if she stay here but she keeps on pestering me every damn second. I strongly prefer to sleep in the park alone rather than in a room with her.


     "L-Let me go inside, Hiji. It's cold outside."


     I just sighed as a response and widely opened the door. She entered and left her outside shoes. She placed the plastic bag she's holding on the table and sat on the sofa to lean her back on it.


     "It is really a tiresome day, isn't it?"


     "And it became more when you came here."


     "Don't be too harsh on your older- No, to your future wife," she said and smiled to me.


     "So... How the hell did you managed to sneak here?" I said, positioning myself on the right side of the table from her perspective.


     "They want me to spend the night in the Visitor's Building but I kowtowed so hard to them so that they allow me to sleep here."


     "..."


     "Just tell me that you miss me, Hiji. I would gladly tell the same to you."


     My mind suddenly felt fuzzy because of my idiot older sister. It is okay if she clings to me as a sibling but she should really stop her nonsense imagination.


     "Come on, Hiji. Tell it already that you miss me," she said and pouted.


     Despite of her age, she acts like an innocent child but with a twisted mind. I just sighed and checked the contents of the plastic bag she brought. There are ingredients for making hot pot. Wait, don't tell me she wants to eat hot pot right now? This is bad. I feel like a million volt electricity ran down over my entire body. My sleepiness suddenly faded.


     "I would say that I miss you but as a little brother," I replied to her. 


     "No! No! You should change the last part!"


     "Just shut up and do what you want here. Me and my spirit were tired so we need to rest."


     "Oh, by the way. I want to meet your spirit. You know, she might seduce you and steal you from me," she said in a worried tone.


     "Stacia won't do such thing. You're just fantasizing it."


     "Just summon your spirit already."


     A black vortex formed on my right and a girl in black coat appeared on it. Hira-neechan went "Oooooh" in amazement of Stacia's appearance. Stacia looked on my sister as if she wants to kill her. Thanks, Stacia. At least you understand how annoying my sister is.


     "She looks like an assassin but she's not. What is she on her first life?" Hira-neechan asked, keenly staring on Stacia.


     "I don't know anything about her. She's not even speaking or maybe she doesn't want to."


     "That's rare for a spirit to hide her identity. But well, I'm sure the Parallel Gods allowed it."


     Parallel Gods were the supreme beings that mediates our world and the other worlds. They are also the ones that grant the wishes of all spirits wishing for second life but to avoid the distortion of Earth's harmony, they created a law that restricts the spirits to bring all of their abilities here except one skill of their choice. The chosen ability will be evaluated by them and when it passed, the spirit can find a new master on their new life. What will happen next to the spirit will now be in the jurisdiction of the world leaders and the Parallel Gods have nothing to do to it now.


     "Are you free right now, Hiji?" Hira-neechan asked, shifting her eyes on me.


     "Why?"


     "I want to take some walk outside with you. I promise that I won't pester you by my what you called 'imagination'," she said.


     Her eyes shows the hint of seriousness. I'm sure that she will do what she promised to me right now. It was quite strange that she doesn't know how to break promises. She will definitely do what she said. I nodded to her. She smiled to me and thanked. The last time I saw her smile was two yeard ago, when she took her leave to attend Pacific First. It is true that there are some things that changes but that one didn't.


     She told me to wait because she wants to take a bath first. I patiently waited for her while preparing the clothes that I'll wear outside but before that, I talked a little bit to Stacia. I can hear water splashing from the bathroom. If I'm not his brother, I might imagine her naked body. The heck that I'll do it. I'm not the type of brother that will lewd his sister. I feel sorry for those who do incest things. Well, it's their decision so I'll respect it but it is very gross.


     She came out of the bath with just a towel on her body. She must forgot that I'm here. She quickly grabbed her bag and entered my room. After five minutes, she stepped out on the room. She's wearing a blue jacket and a skirt on her lower body. Her outfit is light compared to my black jacket and pants. 


     We headed outside, only bringing our phones. There are students who just came home from Shopping District Island while some were just roaming around. It was still ten in the evening so that sight is a normal one. They're sure slacking.


     I noticed that the height difference between us increased. Two years ago, it was at least 14 centimeters but now, it was obvious that it was added by maybe three centimeters. There is also the fact that I'm doing nothing but to play video games every after school. But because of it, I gained the endurance I have right now.


     "I'm really grateful to see you earlier than I expected, Hiji," Hira-neechan said while rubbing both of her palms to generate some heat.


     "Yeah. I feel the same."


     "It's been two years. A lot of things on you had changed like your physique and stamina. Way back then, you're almost near to a NEET."


     "But I'm quite thankful for that. I became dexterous person unlike two years ago."


     "Yeah, I noticed that. I was shocked that you managed to win against that spirit."


     "It is just a win out of pure luck. Don't sweat it too much."


     "But are you fine with that, Hiji?"


     I tried to peek on Hira-neechan's face. It has the trace of seriousness on it and the aura she's emitting right now is totally opposite of what she's releasing earlier.


     "With what?"


     "You know… Becoming that royal blood's butler," she said and lowered her head.


     Oh. So that is what she's referring to.


     "She lost her interest on me, right? There's no way that I'll become one," I replied.


     "But I saw the both of you talking earlier," she replied. "I don't heard what you talked about but it is surely about the duel. I also saw her walking out like a small child. Probabaly you talked about something quite embarrassing and my great assumption tells me that you became her butler."


     I sighed.


     "Looks like I can't hide anything from you."


     "Hehe. It is all because of my roman- fa-fa-familial love towards you!"


     Ah. Here we go again. But at least she managed to voluntarily correct herself, probably.


     "Oh! Your attitude towards me changed also. You're now talking to me like you want to get rid of me," she continued then smiled brightly.


     My lips curled upward because of her. I really miss those times that we're together doing anything we want. The only thing I don't miss is her fantasy towards me. I want it to be removed if possible.


     "It's fun reminiscing the past, right, Hiji?"


     "Yeah."


     "You should at least say something! Is that how you handle a girl into a date?"


     "That's not it. It's been two years since we last talked like this. I totally forgot on how to handle you."


     "You make sound like I'm just an object."


     "You're more than a trash especially if you're spatting out that idiot fantasy of yours."


     "B-B-But…" Hira-neechan's face flushed in red. "You stole my first kiss!"


     "Haaaaa?!"


     My reaction right now is mixed feelings of confusion, curiosity, shockness, surprised, and whatsoever. I can't really define what I feel right now.


     Her shout caused the bypassers to look at us. They also felt the same emotion I had after that shocking revelation presented by my idiot older sister. I freaking need to correct this right now. I don't want to become branded as a guy who loves to do incest things.


     "Way back when we were still kids," Hira-neechan said, "we were talking when Yuuki-chan pushed you and after that, y-y-y-you kissed me."


     "Yuuki-chan?"


     Oh, right. I remember her. We rested for a while after playing hopscotch that time when someone, which was Yuuki-chan, pushed me while I'm talking with Hira-neechan. My body fell towards her and I accidentally kissed her on her lips.


     "Then it's just a freaking accident! Don't give that idea to others!"


     "No. No. Kissing me is not a bad idea. In fact, I enjoyed it that time, fufu," Hira-neechan placed her left hand on her mouth and giggled.


     "You seriously want to ruin my high school life, right?"


     "No. I'm just telling you when I started to fall in love with you."


     "…"


     "This might sound wrong but I'm dead serious about you, Hiji."

 

     I told earlier that I'll leave her when she talked about that stupid imagination hers but I can't afford to do it right now. It looks like she will reveal the main reason why she became like this.


    "There's also the time when I was being bullied," Hira-neechan halted and posed like a superhero. "You shouted to my bullies that, 'I will marry Hira-neechan someday!'"


     "I-I-I-I-I-I'm still a kid that time! Don't take it seriously!"


     "Eh?" Hira-neechan smirked. "You're quite bold for a kid like you want to do some romantic actions with your older sister."


     That is the darkest part of my childhood memories. I admit that I said those words but it is just because I want to fend off those who tease her. So now I know when she started becoming a stupid idiot.


     "Well, I don't want to press this topic further. Look how embarrassed you are."


     Hira-neechan laughed like a kid and sat again beside me. So she even know how to respect my feelings.


     There are students that are staring on us, or rather, on my sister. It is an unusual sight after all. We're now in front on Building F, the nearest building on the train line connecting the Dormitory and Shopping District Islands. She sat down on a bench and she invited me to do so. The lamps were lit, giving light to the darkened area. There are too many trees lined up that gives fresh air but thanks to the ocean breeze, it was too cold. It even penetrates my jacket.


     "I want to ask something. You're in the lowest section, right?"


     That sudden question of hers caught me off-guard. Her little brother, who is a student of the weakest class, will give her a negative feeeback on her name, especially on her reputation. I couldn't come up for an answer so I just lowered my head. 


     "I-I'm sorry."


     "Ha? You don't need to apologize. In fact, you're way too luckier than me," she replied.


     I looked to her eyes and yes, she's not joking about me about bring more luckier than her. What the heck? I'm in the lowest section which is Class D. I'm sure that she started on being a student on Eli-


     "I started on the lowest section which is Class H. That was a freaking long trip before I reached Class B at the end of first-year," she continued and raised her head to look into the cloudless sky.


     "Huh? But you participated in the Pacific Prix on your first year, right?"


     "Yes. I was in Class D that time and currently under promotion period. The instructors saw my potential because of the gradual rise of my merit points. At first, there were doubts about me but it faded when I'm the only student of Pacific First who reached semifinals. Too bad, I lost," she said and slightly chuckled.


     "I watched the entire tournament on television. You move like an Elite Class Student."


     "It was all thanks to my spirit. I mean, she's too considerate to me. She's even willing to train me six hours a day every night. It was exhausting but I can say it paid off. Oh! She's an angel so she has that kind of personality."


     "Good for you."


     "How about you, Hiji? How did you manage to become like that? I remember that you're a limp."


     "Don't make fun of me," I said in an annoyed tone.


     "Just bear with it. I can't tease you with my imagination, right?"


     I sighed before giving my response. "It is because of the games I'm playing."


     "I remember that an almost reality video game was released. That would make sense."


     "And there's also my spirit who I always ask to do sparring with me but I didn't even win once in that more than 500 tries."


     "I expected that though."


     "But the most valid reason, and also the most questionable one, is her actions. She knows even the smallest detail of what I want to do. I don't even need to tell her about it. It seems like she knew me very well."


     "But there are no cases of spirits that originated from parallel earth and being reincarnated here. Though, there are worlds that are similar to Earth. Maybe it is just she's too fast to perceive."


     "Maybe you're right."


     As the night gets deeper, the wind gets colder. We can't also see some students. It is just the two of us alone in the outside. I noticed that Hira-neechan embraced herself while shivering because of the cold. I just sighed and removed my jacket. 


     "Here. Take this," I said to her and handed down my jacket. 


     "But-"


     "Just wear it. Don't worry about me."


     "T-Thanks," she said as her face flushed. She slowly grabbed my jacket and placed it on her back like a coat.


     I guess I'm fine with just a shirt and pants. If it comes to tolerance to cold, it is one of the best attributes I have. The temperature of the wind now can't-Shoot! I'll take back my words. I thought I can handle it for at least five minutes but it became five seconds. I need to at least keep my appearance to her. If not, she will surely return my jacket.


     "By the way, Hira-neechan. Is discrimination a normal thing on Pacific First?"


     "It is the most normal of the most normal things there actually. Even I was a victim of it mainly because of my height but hey, it also became my asset. During my first-year, more than 40 boys confessed their feelings to me but I rejected them. You want to know the reason why?" she asked and leaned her upper body towards me.


     She looked into my eyes while smiling. Damn this idiot. Does she really want to do some gross incest things with me? You should at least consult to a doctor or it is better if you go to a priest. You might be possessed by a demon.


     "I'm not interested," I replied because I already know the reason.


     "How boring," she complained and retracted herself.


     "One of our instructors here said that it is necessary for us to survive. This academy is the very definition of hell."


     "That's why I said to you that you should use everything this school has. And you know, like you need to give them some intense logic before doing something here. Trust me. It will be helpful to you."


     Hira-neechan held the collar of my jacket and placed it tighter to her. She yawned and stood up.


     "I guess that's enough. Let's cook hot pot, Hiji! And of course, let's talk until morning!" she said energetically and raised her right hand into the air.


     "Like I thought," I stood up from the bench and started to walk back to my room. 


     When we arrived, I prepared the ingredients and equipments needed while she is just relaxing on the bed while fiddling on her phone. We talked for the entire night and surprisingly, none of us showed any sign of sleepiness. This is the first time we talked a lot after two years and nothing changed on the way it used to be. 


     Hira-neechan prepared herself to leave the Pacific Fourth at 5am. She requested to me to escort her until we reached the Dormitory Port. When we arrived there at 6am, she's the latest one who arrived.


     "So the Pacific Maiden is a hardcore brocon, huh?" the girl with diagonal bangs commented.


     "Don't delay the ship, Hira." A silver haired guy commanded with such authority.


     "No!" Hira-neechan shouted… while clinging at me. "I won't leave here! I'll now spend my eternity together with Hiji!"


     "Stop it!" I demanded. "You're ruining my high school life!"


     "I guess we have no choice," President Manato sighed. "Astrallea."


     A vortex of blue and white flame appeared beside President Manato and there, a woman in blue magician coat appeared. Her outfit makes her look like a jester.


     "Paralyze this girl."


     "As you wish, master."


     The jester's right eye showed countless sequences of binary codes. It was too fast to see but I can still determine it. She stared at Hira-neechan and she suddenly removed her grip from me. 


     "I-I-It's unfair, Souren!" Hira-neechan said and tried to move her body but she cannot.


     President Manato grabbed Hira-neechan's collar on her back and looked at me.


     "I'm sorry for this."


     "You can do anything to her," I replied coldly.


     "Noooo! Save me, Hiji!"


     President Manato walked towards the ship while pulling Hira-neechan. The other girl, which is the Pacific Second President, is too focused on reading the pocketbook on her right hand and as if she's plunging herself into her own world.


     "Hira-chan is really a weird girl, right, little brother?" the Pacific Third President asked.


     "More than that."


     She laughed.


     "Well, that is what makes her Hira-chan. Hope to see you someday, little brother." She walked away while also carrying Hira-neechan's baggages, without waiting for my response.


     When the presidents boarded the ship, I immediately left the scene. It is still morning so I can still get a good sleep. When I arrived my room, I quickly headed on the bed and dived on it, letting my consciousness fade for that moment.

0