Never Forget your Roots
79 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After two days Koren who was in deep meditative sleep awoke from his sleep drenched in sweat but emerged with a giant smile.

"Is this what it feels like to be strong?" Koren glanced down at his hands feeling a great amount of power coursing through his entire body.

"Geez, I was wondering when you were going to get up, I was getting worried," Sebastian mentioned with a large smile. Koren's mana was a problem that has been nagging at him since when he first started to train him.

Koren took off his shirt that was drenched in sweat and impurities, the mana breakthrough he had just gone through erased most of the impurities clogging his mana circuit and greatly increased the amount of mana he could take in.

*Grumble*

He quickly realized that his body was suffering from having no food for the past two days so he promptly took a quick shower and headed over to the ship's cafeteria. And coincidentally sitting down was Sak reading a large document intently. He noticed Koren's gaze and faced him with a puzzled expression.

"You… went through a mana breakthrough?"

Koren laughed nervously as he held onto his head.

"Yeah."

Having his theory proven correct his face twisted even more.

"Having a mana breakthrough at what, 16?" He muttered to himself but quickly rose his head to look Koren in his eyes.

"This is amazing progress for a child your age, even elven prodigies can dream of such an occurrence happening."

Elves are notorious for their incredible use of magic and often take large pride in it. For Sak to compare Koren, a human to an Elven prodigy would only produce gasps.

.

"Ah…"

"I suppose I have been getting ahead of myself, how has your sleep been. I checked on you a day ago but saw you in a deep meditative sleep." Sak sensed Koren getting embarrassed so he quickly changed the subject making it easier for Koren.

Koren talked with Sak for a moment before grabbing some food from the cafeteria, easing his ravenous hunger.

"Ah, that's better."  He walked back to his room satisfied and began to unpack all of his stuff.

"Books here, food can stay there. Clothes can go in there, Oh-" Koren held his weapon in his arms as he remembered something important.

"Sebastian, what did you mean back on the train when we talked about training?" He asked as he peered over at Sebastian.

"Oh, I was just about to get to that." Sebastian's sadistic smile surfaced on his face.

*

"This is what you meant by training?" Arrogance could be heard from his voice.

Sebastian nodded, and after a long sigh, Koren summoned the courage to ask Sak for a rather odd request.

"Um, Mr. Sak is there any help needed for the crew?" Koren's awkward question could only warrant some eyebrow-raising from Sak.

"Help? There isn't anything needed from you Koren."

Expecting a face of relief Sak was taken aback from an even more awkward tone.

"No, no, I want to help you as a way for training."

"Ah!" Sak exclaimed, now fully aware of what Koren was asking for.

"Yes, there is some work I can have you do," Sak mentioned as he led Koren down some stairs to where the less appealing part of the ship holds. Steel parts were placed mesially everywhere and smoke fumes filled the whole corridor.

"Ah, here we go!." Sak muttered as he pushed open a large steel door where countless dwarves were working.

The dwarves quickly bowed towards Sak before continuing to work in there own respective areas.

Sak continued to walk into the large room until he arrived at the engine of the ship.

"Here, since you mentioned you wanted to do training I will place you to help the most physical task here." He pointed towards two dwarves who were throwing coal into a large fire. Just standing in the area for a few seconds Koren became drenched in sweat.

"You have to continuously throw coal into the fire until the next shift which is in 6 hours."

Koren's heart sunk instantly

"I-I thought it was powered with magic?"

Sak looked at Koren with pity

"Not in this ship, the whole crew are dwarves due to their ability to stay in incredibly hot areas for long durations."

Koren stared at Sak in disbelief but he quickly said his goodbyes as he quickly left the engine room due to its unbearable heat. Koren turned to the two dwarves who looked at him with sympathy before getting back to work.

Koren looked around the room where a long line of shovels sat. Koren grabbed one and began to get to work. After a few minutes of throwing the strangely heavy coal into the fire Koren quickly peeled off his shirt following the dwarves.

After an intense and grueling hour, Koren's arms began to hurt from the strain but he continued. To him, this was an endurance test and had no doubt that he was going to go the whole six hours. However, his confidence quickly shattered as the third hour came around. He was completely exhausted, his arms soon gave out from the heavy coal and his legs bucked from standing for so long. As he dropped to the floor a warm liquid covered his body, to which he realized he was sitting in a puddle of sweat.

"Ah.." he groaned

"I-I'm going to take a quick break," Koren mumbled towards the dwarves as he slowly rose from the floor and walked out of the engine room.

The dwarves shrugged towards each other before getting back to work.

Right as he exited the engine room, cool air covered his skin aiding the burns he had gotten from the fire. Koren walked to his room where he passed out from the exhaustion just as he did when he was first taught by Sebastian.

People often forget their roots, and that was something Sebastian had to teach Koren before he became cocky and arrogant, the downfall of many legends including him...

 

 

Authors Note: Sorry for short chapter and no chapter yesterday, went to the beach, and have some pretty bad sunburns on my hands and arms. Thank you all for the support and I will continue to upload daily, Stay Safe! and I love you all!

4