New Career, Start! (Edit V2)
83 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<Clip this here... increase the brightness on this scene... oh god, what the hell is that?>

<That is just fucking ridiculous! Are you a professional or what? Ok... I think may... nope! Can't cut that out without redoing the entire video... again.>

<Now how to make that more palatable... yes... an advert insert would do just the trick....>

<Aaaand done! That video's a nightmare and a half to edit. If that asshole didn't offer double pay and early completion bonus, I won't even touch that with a 10-mile pole. But desperate times calls for desperate measures... need to pay my bills and such....>

<So the next one is for... oh for God's sake! Why is that... sex toy sticking out right there like a sore thumb? Haven't she noticed? Nope... just went into her character too deeply that she didn't care anymore. Come on girl, there's a fine line between tempting the audience and just being a whore, dammit.>

<If she likes showing off how much of a slut she is, then she should just become a porn star. Yeah... she's got a really nice body for that. Nice tits and ass, all natural.>

<This will end in flames, I just know it. Or lawsuits. Just like last time she went skinny-dipping... on live broadcast. If not for her being super-popular, she would have been banned permanently.>

<I don't know if it's a good thing that Aunt Macey is already dead. Because if not, she'll slap the living daylights out of her. And Uncle Bill lets her do whatever she wants. Well... as long as he get his cut, he's happy with what she's doing.>

<There... I've uploaded it to her cloud storage. I hope she'll be happy with the edits and not propose any more changes to it. I'm so done with that one.>

========================================

"Rejected."

"Rejected."

"Rejected."

"Another polite rejection."

"Oh... this is new.... Ehem...."

"Ehem... 'We regret to inform you that your application has been rejected. To be honest, we don't want you anywhere near the company. The 'incidents' that have occurred when you were employed at different workplaces has cemented our decision to blacklist you from ever being employed in this company. That also include all subsidiaries and partner companies. Thank you, I hope we never hear from you ever again.'"

"Really? Not even a polite refusal? Just go straight to the jugular? Well fuck you! I hope your company goes fucking bankrupt."

Rip. Tear. Scrunch.

"Goddammit! Why? What madness have I wrought in my past life that I was cursed to never step in any workplace ever."

Sigh.

"But what can I do? I don't even know if I'm really cursed, or if it's just sheer maddening string of coincidences that those things happen after a week I got employed by anyone."

"Just admit that you're a bad luck magnet to businesses everywhere."

"GAAAAH! What the hell... Vincent! When did you get back?"

"Just this morning, Jamie. You were too busy dealing with Claire's video. So I didn't visit you earlier."

"Fuck, man. You'll give me a freaking heart attack. I'm too young for that shit."

"But I'm still right. Jamie... just admit it. You'll never get your a job with that luck of yours. Those businesses would stand to lose a lot of money if they hire you. There's even a memo circulating among companies to blacklist you."

"I'm not that that bad...."

"You ARE that bad. Someone hires you... and in just a week some really freaky shit happens. Remember your last job?"

"Don't fucking remind me. How am I suppose to know that they'll be targeted by fucking terrorists!"

"Jamie... they weren't. Have you forgotten? The hotel you were working for is just collateral damage. The only reason they attacked the hotel is due to wrong intel."

"And I got fucking blamed for it."

"They got the intel a week before the attack. The same day you were hired by the hotel. And you were the only person they hired at that day. Jamie... fifty jobs in 3 years. You had 50 different jobs in just 3 short years. And this kind of shit ALWAYS happens, after a week of you getting hired."

"Fine... okay, shit happens. But it's not my fault."

"But there IS a pattern, Jamie. Companies follow patterns, especially unusual ones like you. They either want to mitigate it, or use it to their advantage. But yours? They want it GONE."

"It's just... It's very hard to establish yourself if you don't have any work experience."

"Just continue your freelancing gig. It brings enough dough for you to live on."

"But I'm just so unlucky with clients. I'm get the dregs of online influencers and reviewers. The one that got thrown away since they're so bad. Heck... Claire's the best one among the miserable bunch. I don't even to talk about Paul or even..." Shudder. "Jake."

"It's still great money. And you can't afford not taking them since... you know...."

"Yeah... money is the only thing that keeps me working in this gig. If not for the sweet, sweet cash they're paying me, I would have just bitch-slapped all of them to oblivion. Heck, I can even make better videos...."

"Jamie? Buddy? Pal? Hello.... Oh dear god... Nope... not that smile. I don't like that smile. It's the smile that says 'I'm gonna do something really awesome or really stupid'. Most of the time it's something stupid. I'm not involving myself on whatever scheme you're cooking."

"Why didn't I think of that? Yes... why can't I be an internet celebrity? Make my own videos... even do livestream. I even have experience as a radio jockey in high school. I'll earn more since I can do my own editing and such. God... I'm such an idiot for not thinking about it earlier."

"The hell? Jamie... what are you talking about? Don't tell you're...."

"Yes, Vincent. I'm gonna be an Internet Star!"

"Goddammit, Jake."

========================================

"And there we go. All set up and ready to rock! Got my cameras set up, the boom mic ready for recording, the streaming deck just the way I like it... and the 'pièce de résistance', my lovely and newly built desktop PC. With it I can stream 4K 60fps all day long. And this thing beats my old rig by a mile. The old girl's in dire need of replacement, but I never realized until I started planning for this. Poor girl you'll be missed."

"It's an object, Jamie, not a living breathing person."

"Hush, Vincent. You'll hurt the old girl's feeling."

"Whatever."

<Really Vincent... you're giving me that look? I've only seen you like this, twice. First is  you faced off against your Dad and told him that you're gay.>

<And when Mom died and I nearly went insane with grief and hate. I'm still thankful for that.>

"Are you sure about this, Jamie? You know this will be quite a difficult prospect you're getting into, right?"

'It's a bit too late for that, Vincent. And I think you'll be late for the date with your new beau. What was his name again? Oh, right... Joshua."

"It's Josh, but yes... I have a date tonight. But I still worry about you."

"What's to worry about? It's not like going to kill myself or something."

"Jamie...."

"I'm just kidding. And yes... I'm sure about this, Vincent. And if I fail, I can still continue my video editing gig. I already got some work lined up for me. It'll be fine. Now shoo, I don't think Josh will appreciate me holding his date back. I think he's the jealous type."

"No he's not! Okay, I'm off. And good luck."

"Thanks. And be careful. Enjoy your date."

"Oh I will."

"Now... git! I think he's trying to knock down the door."

"Bye, Jamie." Then Vincent faced away from Jamie, shouting to the window. "I'm coming Josh. Just a second, dear...."

========================================

<Let's see.... What kind of Internet Celebrity should I be? Gaming? I could do that. But I'm gonna have a lot of problems with that. I'm not really that great of a gamer, mostly above average if I say so. I also tend to get too focused on the game itself, forgetting about nearly everything else. Plus I'll have lots of competition if I go in that path. Not easy to establish myself as a gamer.>

<Lifestyle? Nah... forget about that. I'm not cut out for that. I don't even enjoy showing how I live to my friends, let alone to strangers. It feels like an invasion of privacy to me. Not to mention I don't a lick of fashion sense at all.>

<Travel? Another 'No' on that one. I hate traveling. Farthest place I've been to is my college, since well... it's my college. No one, not even Mom convinced me to leave the city to take a vacation.>

<Reviewing and being a critic? About what? Movies? I don't watch too much movies. Mostly Sci-Fi and superhero flicks... I'm not really choosy. Food? I don't really care about what goes into my stomach. I'll eat anything as long as it's not rotten and is prepared well enough. Books? I love reading books. But I'm more of a bibliophile, reading anything that I can get my hands on, than someone who prefer a certain genre. As long as it's not sparkly vampires, I'm good. Tools and gadgets? I don't really know much about them. The only tools and gadgets I know are related to computers and computer assembly and repair. Tutorials? Except for computers, I'm a big fat ZERO on that front. And even what I know about computers are all from watching tutorials videos online.>

<God... this is so hard. I can't really choose on what to do. I should have researched more on this topic. I only have very few choices. And those choice don't look quite appealing to me.>

SUITABLE HOST DETECTED.

"The hell?"

SYSTEM RECONFIGURATION INITIALIZED.

SUITABLE CONFIGURATION FOUND.

"What is this?"

SYSTEM CONFIGURATION COMPLETED.

SYSTEM INTEGRATION STARTED.

"Can anybody tell me what in the world is this? Is this some kind of prank or...."

'MODERN SAGE SYSTEM' INITIATED.

SYSTEM INTEGRATION COMPLETED.

REBOOTING HOST FOR FINAL SETUP.

"Hey! Are you listening. What the hell are you. And what do you me by rebooting...."

And Jamie was ensconced in Morpheus' sweet embrace.

1