Interlude One: The First Awakenings (Edited)
78 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

----- 特殊作戦群, JGSDF Nagashino Garrison, Funabashi, Chiba Prefecture -----

'Knock. Knock.'

"Come  in."

A JGSDF, officer wearing a BDU with lieutenant insignias, salutes another officer. This one bearing a Colonel rank.

"First Lieutenant Kazama, reporting sir."

"Ah... Lieutenant Kazama." The colonel look quite surprised. "Don't you still have two more days on your leave?"

"Yes, sir. But I found something very important."

"Important? Elaborate, lieutenant."

"This has an impact on the entire country... no, the world, sir."

"And what is it, Lieutenant?"

Then Kazama presented his right hand, palm up, to the Colonel. Small, flickering gathered on top of it. And then... a small flame, like candlelight, burst into existence.

"Magic, sir."

"Lieutenant... I hope this not a prank...."

"It's not a trick or an elaborate prank, sir. It is real, sir... and anyone can learn it. Including you, sir."

"Kazama-san... are you saying that Magic is real?"

"Yes, sir. Permission to speak freely, sir?"

"... Permission granted. Don't bullshit me."

"I know it's something quite unbelievable, sir. Even I didn't believe at first. I just went along with the show, doing what the livestreamer was telling us to do for a lark. and then... it just happened. Magic, sir... it just happened."

"Wait... you mean to tell me that you learned Magic by watching someone do it?"

"A livestream, sir. It's like a live TV broadcast. But instead of TV, it's shown through the internet."

"But that means...."

"Anyone who has access to the internet has the opportunity to learn Magic sir. And it can be learned by everyone, as long as one puts his or her mind to it. I know it's not easy to believe it, sir. But the evidence suggest otherwise. Magic is real, sir. And this will cause change to everything. It will a game-changer on how we operate and what new threats and opportunities we now face, sir."

"And this will cause widespread disruptions to society as a whole, Lieutenant."

"Yes, sir. And with how easily Magic can be learned by anyone, the government will have problems handling this."

"What do you mean 'can be learned by anyone', lieutenant?"

"Sir... from what was demonstrated on the livestream, anyone can learn Magic. It took me just an hour to unlock my Magical potential. And another two hours to learn enough control for me to cast of this spell, sir."

"Yes... that is very dangerous."

"Sir, I believe that with several more lessons, my Magical skills will be an asset to the military. And to the nation and Emperor. Imagine, sir, a whole cadre of soldiers that possess quite formidable skills in Magic as well as their military training. They will be a force to reckon with, sir."

"And with that video available to anyone, other nations as well as malcontents will learn how to use Magic. By the Gods... it will be a disaster." The colonel paused. "You said there will be more lessons in the future, Lieutenant?"

"Yes, sir. Online Sage, the moniker the livestreamer is using, told the viewer that it was the first in a series of livestream lessons on Magic."

Then a ringtone interrupted their meeting.

"What is that, Lieutenant?"

"Apologies, sir. It's a notification that the Online Sage will be back online with a new livestream. It will go live at the same time as the last video this morning, sir. It is scheduled at 0430 hours tomorrow morning."

"If that's true, then we must get on top of this. I will inform General Hirata of this development. I will give you special orders to pursue this...."

"Livestream, sir. And the previous one is still available for viewing."

"Come with me, then. We will have to give a debriefing to General Hirata about this."

"Yes, sir."

========================================

----- Somewhere in California, USA -----

"Look. I know it's hard to believe, guys. But it's fucking real!"

"Yeah... we know already, Milo. Just... just give us some time for this to all sink in. You just don't surprise people with an earth-shattering discovery and they will be okay with it like that. Dude... you just proved that Magic is real, for Christ's sake."

"Yeah, Milo... I know you're super-stoked about Magic being real, but can you tone it down a bit?"

"But it's Magic, guys. MAGIC!!!"

"We know, Milo... we know. But as Justin and Blake said earlier,  you need to calm down. Magic is no joking matter, man. We need to take this thing seriously. And that means not shouting out that anyone can hear it."

"But dude...."

"SHUT IT, MILO! Do you want the government to know that you have Magic? They will definitely kidnap you and turn you into a Guinea pig for their experiments."

"They don't need to. Anyone can learn Magic. Online Sage said so."

"But the government won't believe that until they have tested it to the wazoo. That means they'll need test subjects. And they'll get their test subjects, one way... or the other. Which means kidnapping anyone that already manifested Magic. Like you."

"So that means you'll stop watching Online Sage...."

"NO!!! I need to watch his videos. How will I learn Magic if I can't watch his streams?"

"Fucking shut up, Milo. And let William finish first."

"As I was saying before you interrupted me, Milo, you need to stop watching his videos UNTIL you have a secure Internet connection. I'll rope Justin into this since he's the one with the connections to the 'computer enthusiasts' community."

"I'm using a VPN. That's enough, right?" Milo weakly protested.

"NO!!!" The other three vehemently shouted.

"I know that a VPN is good for circumventing regional restriction. But the government can also bypass all those proxies and find your true I.P. address if they wanted to."

"And how the hell is there a livestream where a guy is willing to teach Magic to anyone. That does not seem logical!"

"Unless they're hiding from the government too, Blake."

"You and your conspiracy theories, Justin. But we're in an ever weirder situation right now. Magic? We thought it only exists in fantasies. Now we're dealing with real life people slinging fireballs and making potions."

"Hey! My Magic summoned little Mister Fluffypoo!"

"Only you can call a fucking monster dog 'Mister Fluffypoo'. And it's not fucking little!"

"But it's so nice!"

"It tried to bite my hand off!"

"It felt threatened!"

"How could make that thing felt threatened!? I'm the one who should feel threatened! I'm 5 feet 6 inches. And that thing's standing as tall as me! It could turn me into a fucking snack!"

"Okay! Break that up, guys. Justin, stop antagonizing Milo for summoning his... dog. Milo, say sorry to Justin."

"Sorry Justin."

"... Fine. I'm sorry too for antagonizing you."

"We good now? Very well. Here's how we going to deal...."

========================================

----- Somewhere in Europe -----

"Are you feeling well, Milady?"

"I'm fine, Randolph. I just lacked sleep, it's all."

"But you went to be early, Milady. Did you have any difficulty sleeping?"

"Not really. I just binge-watched on the internet until early in the morning. That's why I'm still sleepy."

"You must take care of yourself, Milady. You already have a weak constitution. Lack of sleep will tax it even more."

"I know, Randolph. It's just...."

"Yes, Milady?"

"... nevermind. Is anyone joining me for breakfast?"

"Unfortunately... Master William and Madam Evaine has already left. They were sorry to leave you once again with saying goodbye. Master William has to deal with an emergency at the office, while Madam Evaine has an early appointment with the designer."

"It's fine, Randolph. You don't need to lie to me. Anyways... what's for breakfast?"

"For breakfast we have French toast, several rashers of bacon, an assorted of jams and cheeses, and several kinds juices. The chef also made your favorite desert... Crème Brûlée."

"Thanks, Randolph. And thank the chef for me."

"No need for thanks, Milady. And I'm sure Monsieur Jepard will appreciate your gratitude."

"Um... can you wait for me outside? I'll just get changed."

"Don't you need any assistance, Milady? I can send for one of the maids to help you get ready."

"No need, Randolph. I'm just weak, not an invalid."

"If you say so, Milady. I'll be right outside the door if you need me."

And Randolph left the spacious room. The young girl let out a sigh of relief.

"Sorry, Randolph. You're a good person, but you'll tell Mama and Papa if you out what I'm doing."

And with a flash of light, a small blade made of crystal came into being.

"What can I do with you?"

2