Chapter Three
141 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Three days later I walk into the hospital room. I see two middle-aged men in each other’s arms hugging, well the bigger one is hugging the smaller man.

Walking in they hear me and turn to look at me. The little man who was hugged, his eyes are blood red from crying.

“Excuse me but why are you in this room?” I ask but I’m cut off by Aunty Sandra, “Ethan honey, these two men say they are friends of Sage.”

I look at her and turn back to look at them. The little one walked over, “You’re Ethan?”

“Uh… yes, I am,” I say looking at his hopeful eyes. He walks closer up to me and the next thing I know it, my face burns after a crisp sound.

I looked down at this man and he starts yelling while pulling at my shirt, “YOU MOTHERFUCKER! YOU’RE THE REASON WHY SAGE IS LAYING THERE UNCONSCIOUS!! IT’S ALL YOUR FAULT! IT’S ALL YOUR FUCKING FAULT!!!

The man stops him before he can hit me again, “Jarod baby stop! Don’t hit him, he doesn’t know anything and you know this!”

Jarod grabs the other guy and pulls on him, “Theo I don’t care if he is aware of it or not! He should have been there for Sage and not u! Sage said their best friends but I don’t believe it.”

“Wha-whats going on, what don’t I know?” I ask hoping for an answer.

Jarod glares at me almost escaping Theo’s arms. He started yelling again, “Don’t you play INNOCENT WITH ME! Sage loved you with all his heart and you crushed it like it was nothing. I know what you did, you fucking proposed to that girl and crushed Sage’s love for you as if it is nothing but a cookie.”

Tears formed in my eyes as my heart tightens, “I-I didn’t do anything, h-how can you blame me?”

“L-look at you! You’re a pathetic excuse for a human! You’ve been friends with him since you were toddlers and you don’t know? Sage worshipped the ground you walk on and he loved everything of you, your eyes, your smile, your voice, everything about you Ethan and you never looked at him once and now look where it’s gotten him. Loving you was his biggest mistake, you killed him! YOU MURDER!!

My mind goes blank as I fall to the ground, I’m a murder? No, if Sage just told me I would have… I would have…

“Yes Ethan, Sage, he’s gay! I’ve asked him many times before to move on from you and just date someone else but he can’t because you’re the one he loves, you’re the one who has his heart, that’s why he did it, he killed himself because he couldn’t pretend to be happy anymore knowing that you’ll be happy with her.”

“I’m sure you were planning to ask him to be your best man, put yourself in his shoes and see if you’d be happy standing beside the one you love, watch them be happy and say I do, watch them drive off on to their honeymoon then come back and announce that you’re expecting a baby… the child grows up with a very loving uncle Sage who loves her to the moon and back, DO YOU REALLY THINK YOUR FUCKING IDEALISTIC SHIT WORKS ON SOMEONE WHOSE BROKEN ALREADY!” he says spitting it at me and I can hear the disgust and anger in his voice.

Aunty Sandra’s standing in the corner of the room beside Sage looking at us in disbelief. I fall to the ground in disbelief after trying to get back up. No, wait I can believe it! Looking at them I say, “I-I-I d-don’t w-want t-to l-lose h-him.”

“Well, then you better pray to God that my baby makes it because if he doesn’t I will come after you and make your life a living HELL.”

They walk past me closing the door behind them. I look at Aunty Sandra as she walks over to me. Pulling me to herself she hugs me as I cried my heart out. Grabbing her jersey I scream into her chest - losing control.

I don’t know what happened but I open my eyes on a bed. Blinking my burning eyes I look up confused and find my mother by my side.

“Hey Eth, you’re awake?” she says while rubbing my hand.

“Yeah, mama, what happened?”

“Aunty Sandra says you fainted and the nurses brought you in here until you wake up.”

Nodding my head, I sit up and rub my eyes. My mother and I left going to Sages room. I spot Aunty Sandra and she just looks at me – is she blaming me too now.

“Aunty Sandra, can we speak?” I ask her and she nods. We head to the waiting room outside and she sits down. Kneeling in front of her, I can’t help but want to cry again.

Sighing I look down at our feet and she rubs my head, “Ethan are you blaming yourself too after hearing what that man had to say?”

Looking at her I blink back my tears, “I-I don’t know what to think, I didn’t know until today and if he could have just told me we could have worked it out… I’ve always thought of Sage as a brother but I knew that he might not have felt the same for me due to some reasons and I was waiting for him to say something about it but he never did so I thought he didn’t want to speak about it… but now, I don’t even know if breaking off the engagement with Layla will bring him back to us.”

She caresses my cheeks while wiping my tears away, “Ethan listen to me, Sage never told us anything and I don’t care about his sexuality, if you can make my son happy then I’d be very grateful but don’t force yourself. There’s still hope for Sage to live but you have no obligation to him, this was his decision and you don’t owe him anything.”

“As much as he is my son, I consider you like mine too and if you are happy with Layla, marry her but if you want to be with your brother, then just tell him and I’m actually not surprised that he is gay, my grandmothers sister was lesbian and my younger brother is gay although he doesn’t show it to the public. I was expecting one of my children to be too but for him to hide it this well – I really wish he didn’t because it seems like my baby has been suffering in silence.” She says as she wipes away the tears from her eyes.

Aunty Sandra left me outside seated on a chair in the waiting room. My mind tried processing all of this… his my brother… will it work out if I give him a chance… will he want me after this?

2