Start of the Hope’s Highway
649 0 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two sleepless men stared at the map, on one part was broadly labeled "Her Land" referring to a certain terrorist that has been under rather... close surveillance by a fellow officer working within her group, but from what he has reported was it was just the herself "Jackson", the maid "Jessica" and the child like one, that has been called "Tanya"... but the officer had reported that she is withholding her group outside of the city limits, and from the way they are being referred it is larger then during the ambush.

Another few parts had a dozen little figures of toy policemen showing EPTT strong points or other Police holdouts... most were based around the two major stations outside of the main one these two men were at.

Next around was the no mans land where the Gaelic flattened between the still intact buildings and the Athtrim Naval Base, both of which occupied by there respective forces, with the Naval Base still under control of Athtrim Naval Command and their military elements, which according to the last report they gave was a full division with a fighting strength of nine thousand, but that wasn't counting the non-combat elements, but that report was at least a few days old and was considered outdated as if it was reported a decade ago.

Annoying for them further was the fact that report did include the men who were lost within the city, either fighting among Police or independently as if it was a free for all, treating civilians as threats.

Lastly was the area around Athtrim itself, which outside of "Her Land" was controlled by Gaelic Paratroopers, which to the two men's annoyance included APCs and Para-Tanks, as light as those are it's still a tank... and Police aren't equip for that kind of work.

Oscar sighed loudly and slammed his head into the desk, his notebook had over a dozen pages filled with... what now could be useless info, as through the officer in "Jackson's" group they are aware of the Gaelic Marines coming ashore, and they brought actual shit... and they were also exposed to the crimes he had discovered... and reported that he wasn't sure but Jackson gave up three prisoners they had... but two had "felt odd" as he put it, while the third was, "left in the same mess as the FRIA woman", he did elaborate and explained what they had found in regards to the FRIA woman.

"Oscar... it's now or never." Michal said, his voice grave as he knew that as the currant highest ranking officer within the Athtrim Police... even as a Detective, he would be asking both his own fellow officers he trained with or mentored, armed civilians... and what military forces willing to listen to abandon the city, and hold a single road... and allow a chance for everyone else to flee, while he sends men and women to die. A tear formed at the idea, but he knew it had to be done.

Oscar was running off less then fumes and chose that now was the best time to sleep, pretty much falling asleep on the spot with his head on the table.

Michal gave an almost audible laugh... somethings can sometimes make this dire of shite still had a light at the end of the tunnel. Getting up from his chair he walked over to the radio transponder... which he knew was being monitored by Gaelic forces, he hoped that someone had a conscience to not outright try to stop them... as this had no military value outside of just them being closer together, but still this was more of a rescue mission then anything else.

Flicking on the transmitter a over a hundred different devices picked it up on the emergency frequency, with both Gaelic and Erian intelligence hearing in.

"This is detective Michal of the Athtrim Police, to all that can hear this! Head to I-23, all police and military... anyone willing to fight, that can hear this. We are holding this highway to give the people of Athtrim a way out..." He paused to gather his thoughts. "I am asking you all to sell your own for your fellow citizen, I will not hold it against you if you flee after the route is secure... but let it be known that if you live given in it's defense that could save a family, the sick, children that are still trapped... then wouldn't you say it was a life well lived?" He asked, his voice almost choked.

Gaelic operators passed what was said up the line, under "Operational Importance Non-Military", and several units deployed near the said Highway with grunts looking to those who knew the language and others looking to their senior officers for orders.

Erian forces within the port could only prey to whatever god is watching to let the people escape. But those outside heard cowardice, and FRIA HQ back in the Capital could only think of what to do once they got this coward. Though, FRIA within Athtrim those still alive, who had been unable to send their own reports knew that this was there chance to escape with what sensitive intel they had, which included a copy of the combat data from the "Annabelle" railgun.

"Please." A tired voice echoed through, making those listening stop for a moment. "I am, not asking as detective Michal... I ask you as Michal a simple man that has seen the city that bore and raised him turned into a warzone, to give not give in to our nature, that has past down to us by Humanity... I ask that we like our ancestors! Human's have done great things when they did what had to be done! I ask you all prove them right, that we the People of Athtrim! Are worthy of that title to be their successor!" His voice wasn't prideful or proud, despite the words used... the same words many had heard during their lives, the hollow words which dug deeper into those who had planned to flee.

Meanwhile

The few Erian Tanks that were outside of the Naval Base before being besieged, out of the twelve that were outside of the base for various reasons only three remained, Challenger 3, 10 and 25, their tank commanders began their own talks.

"Well, tank three of the Athtrim Armored Battalion is near to I-23... me and my boys can get this started." Offered the nearest commander. "We already know getting to the base is suicide but opening a route for the people to escape, my men are willing and able."

The other two Tank Commanders were silent for a moment, before giving their own acknowledgments, "Challenger 10 of the AAB is moving." "Challenger 25 of the AAB is moving to engage."

With their own confirmations, he gave his own men the order to move.

The five man crew along with a dozen of police and armed civilians followed the 40 ton monster as it drove out of it's hiding spot, the 120mm cannon loaded with HEAT which is more then enough to deal with the Gaelic Para-Tanks and their armor being heavy enough to deflect anything they could throw back.

The issue for why only three remained were the constantly hunting helicopters and jets, but after a few had been shot down by ground fire they backed off.

After turning a street corner the Challenger 3's gunner leveled his sight on the first Para-Tank, as it's own miss identified the incoming tank as Gaelic.

The 120 fired, shattering the glass on the buildings around itself. The target exploded sending its own turret flying and the nearby Paratroopers into a panic. 

18