Chapter 6 – Alien Routine
2.1k 6 93
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Our crappy house stands (barely) on the outskirts of the village, though I couldn't tell you why. I figured it must have been some kind of tool shed back when the town was first being built or something. That’d explain its rundown appearance. What I don’t get is why absolutely nothing is built near it. Seems like a bad idea to store your tools so far away from any construction projects. I don’t know, maybe there was a sudden change of plans or something. Either way, this means it is a bit of a walk for us to get to anywhere in this village. Once we reach the well trodden dirt road leading into town, anyone and everyone within 10 meters of us starts avoiding us. More space for us, I guess. It’s hard to believe that we’re treated this way just because we’re from outside the village.

“You okay, Cat?” I turn my head to look at them and place my hand on their arm.

My partner turns to me and nods, though it is clear the other villagers are bothering them. “Yeah. Nothing we’re not used to.”

I nod and we continue on. This place is designed to look as rustic as it gets. Dirt roads and primarily wooden buildings. The few brick ones look…not shoddy, they were clearly well built, but you can tell they were avoiding a suburban look when making them. Grass surrounds us for miles on end where it hasn’t been walked on for years. There’s not a tree in sight, at least until you approach the farmland. Everything is flat, dull, somehow lively and empty at the same time. Life here feels almost hollow, yet the people live on so merrily. Not that we’ve borne witness to that up close, but it’s definitely that kind of tightly knit family oriented community. It doesn’t take much longer for us to reach the market plaza. There are stands selling all kinds of foods and trinkets and stores line the road. It’s as bustling as a small town like this can be. Awful for us, really.

 

“Hey, James,” I say as the two of us approach a farmer’s stand selling fresh fruit and nervous stares, apparently. “We need a bit of everything, besides tomatoes. Allergies.” 

We don’t have allergies, but I don’t want Cat feeling self conscious about not liking them.

“O-oh, uhh, right away, mmm…ma’am…?”

Oh that was weird. That was a weird fluttery feeling. I reach up and touch the ends of my hair. Is it because I left it down today? For some reason I don’t feel like correcting him, but I try not to talk to stall tenders much anyways, not that I need to say anything anyways, as they catch on after staring at me for an amount of time most would consider rude.
“Sir. Sorry, sir. Here’s your produce…”

Cat chuckles a bit behind me as they pull out the cash and hand it to me, probably the only thing restraining James’ irritation at them. We take our bags and are off as quick as we can.

“You seem happy,” I hear Cat say suddenly, looking over and raising an eyebrow. “Like you’d be wagging your tail if you had one. I can tell.”

“Wh… What are you talking about…?” I’m not sure how they can tell, but somehow I believe it. As rude as James is to us, the encounter left me feeling somewhat…giddy? It’s hard to explain and I really don’t want to analyze it. “Whatever, just assume you’re right and let’s finish up around here.”

Cat smiles at me as we walk a bit faster, hitting up a few other stands for meat and veggies before moving towards our next destination, gently throwing open the doors to Curt-Lee Refreshments, specializing in basically any kind of drink in a bottle. Their store looks just the same as any other around here. Same brown wooden floors, same dotted wallpaper varying in colour from store to store (they chose green), and same diner-esque aesthetic except this one has more wood. At the very least, Curtis and Leonard seemed to take better care of the store part of their home than others.

“Curt-Lee Refreshments, Curtis serving you, how… Oh, hello you two.”

Behind the counter is Curtis, local dairy farmer and fruit enthusiast, who supplies the shop’s milk and fruit juices. I can only assume Leonard is in the back, brewing some brews, as he does. Honestly, this place isn’t too bad. Curt-Lee is basically the only place that doesn’t shun or outright refuse to serve us. Despite being kind of nervous all the time, Curtis is really nice while Leonard is generally quiet. We each offer them a wave and a half-forced smile before going about our business, grabbing some milk, some juice, and ignoring the temptation to grab a beer. Neither of us drink much, but it’s been rough lately, okay? Placing it all on the counter, Cat rummages through our bag for the money while I take a seat on a stool by the counter.

“Things been alright for you and Lee lately? It’s been a while since we stocked up last. Lee still cooped up in the back?”

Curtis accepts the cash, avoiding eye contact but at least still answering me. “Ah, yeah we’ve been alright, Lee just doesn’t like being out in the open much, so they work on products in the back. We keep trying to pull in new drinks but our customer base doesn’t seem to grow at all. Oh well.”

“Yeah, I can imagine it’d be tough around here” I add, Curtis ending the conversation with a solemn nod. That’s probably as good of a conversation as I’ll get from anybody in town sans Zee who, unfortunately, doesn’t have a shop we frequent. Or a shop at all. They mainly do odd jobs around town, so seeing them is a rare blessing. It’s a shame they’re so busy all the time, they’re just about the only person we’d like to spend time with around here. We take our goods once more, waving goodbye to Curtis and Leonard who was just walking out of the back, and make our way out.

 

We probably should have made that our last stop, because as soon as we exit the building, it hits both of us like a train hurtling off its rails.

“Oh, god… Our last stop is…” Cat stops, but I finish their statement for them. “Rosestein Bakery…”

You know that image of a friendly baker, baking bread in a little shop with a stone furnace and wearing a poofy white outfit? Imagine that, but that ‘friendly baker’ is a rude, muscled, terrible hunk of meat in the same cookie-cutter building, cooking with an outdated stove and wearing a t-shirt he knows is too small for him. So, you know, nothing at all like the first image.

“Dangit, can we make sandwiches without bread…?” Cat asks desperately, looking exhausted before we’ve even entered the shop

I snort at Cat’s half-jest, half-plea for help, “Could make a lettuce wrap, but--”

“Ugh, never mind… I’ll take the asshole over the greens…”

“Not how I would have phrased that, but you do you. C’mon, let’s get this over with.”

Immediately, no, even before the door is fully opened, the smell of freshly baked bread is tarnished by how shoddily the store is kept. Unswept, unmopped, undusted, only things that move regularly seem spared from the grimy fate of this place. Unfortunately, Banner Rosestein is the only baker in town. How they managed that must have been a witch’s curse or something.

“Weeeeeeeell, if it ain’t the sissy boys.”

Off to a great start.

“Good morning, Mr. Rosestein.” I try not to grumble too much with the forced formalities, especially since meathead over here doesn’t try in the slightest. 

I’m not sure why his wife isn’t the one doing the customer service. If I had to guess, it’s because he’s good at not much of anything. Mrs. Rosestein does all the work around here, not giving her much time to try and clean it herself. Poor lady.

“You know, if you’re looking for meat, you probably should have stopped a few stores down. HAH. Hahaheh.” The baker says in his strange, gravely voice. It honestly sounds like he’s constantly trying to make his voice sound deeper than it should be, it’s kind of sad.

“Just six flatbreads and six loaves of French bread. Please.” It’s so not worth trying to fight back, as much as I’d love to put this guy in his place. Unfortunately, more ire from the townsfolk is the last thing we need.

“Something long and hard as usual, eh? Comin’ right up~”

Go to hell. Banter that would normally be fun and games to anyone else is clearly just belittlement from Banner to us. He stuffs the bread into a bag as Cat pulls out the payment, the meathead snatching it from their hands way too roughly before handing us what I see is an unfulfilled order. I look down at the bag, then up at Banner while Cat rubs at their hand.

“This is half of what we paid for,” I say, knowing I’m taking the bait. 

His smirk only widens as he leans forward over the counter, “What, you boys fail school and your dads?” Cat visibly tenses up from that comment. “Prices doubled. Times are getting rough, boys, not that pretty prancy types like you would know…”

“...Excuse me? You’re the only bakery in Railsent, you get customers non-stop because they literally don’t have another choice.”

Of course, reason won’t get me anywhere here, he just scoffs and laughs with his chin held high. “And how would you know? Ain’t nobody talkin’ to you ‘round here! Price is doubled, boys, that’s final.”

Dammit. Dammit! We should have waited for another customer to come in before us. Unfortunately, we are the only witnesses here. No one will believe us if we told them. Well, no one except--

“Speeeeeecial delivery!”

Oh thank god, I’ve never been so thankful to hear the sound of those rollerskates. Both Cat and I relax just a bit as the door swings open to reveal our hopeful saviour. Banner greets them, “Weeeeeell, if it ain’t just the gir--”, or at least tries to before I jump in.

“Zee!” I exclaim upon their entrance, cutting off Banner’s usual disregard for other peoples’ identities. “What brings you here?”
Their hazel eyes light up at the sight of us, taking off their helmet with their free hand and letting their auburn hair loose. “Fox, Cat! I was just picking up some flour for the Rosesteins is all!” They look back and forth between me, Cat, and Banner, myself bouncing a bag that looked much smaller than our usual order. “And what are you two doing at the bread shop, huh? Buyin’ bread?

They’re such an odd one, but we love them. Since day one, all those months ago, our friend here has been looking out for us when the rest of the village wouldn’t. 

“Yep. Buying bread. We’d recommend the flatbread and the French bread if you’re interested.”

I get a snicker from Cat and a smirk from Zee, who begins rolling up with the flour under their arm before dropping it onto the counter. “Y’know what, I might just do that! Yo, Bread Man, gimme some bread! A lil’ something for being extra fast, eh? Ehhh? What’dya say?”

There’s nothing quite as satisfying as seeing Banner’s face right now, and with a pained groan, he stuffs a bag full of the remainder of what we paid and holds it out to Zee, who snatches it up jubilantly. 

“Yeah, yeah, just get outta here, all of you,” Banner grumbles.

Zee offers him a prize winning smile before skating on out, though not before grabbing both our hands and dragging us out with them

 

“The power you hold is immense, Zee. How’d you do it?” Cat asks.

They’re not wrong, despite being an outsider like us, Zee somehow built up one of the most beloved reputations in town. Granted, they have been here many, many more years than us, but it’s hard to imagine anyone disliking Zee as much as the villagers seem to dislike us. In this village, you either like Zee or you tolerate them. Thankfully we’re in the former camp, and we’d like to think they like us too, although finding someone they don’t like would prove to be a challenge in and of itself.

“Eh, you know, I’m kinda epic? Town knows it!” they say, throwing their hands behind their head as they skate around us. I smile at them, while Cat snorts at them for some reason.

“Please never say that again.” Cat jests, though I give them a gentle smack on the arm regardless.

“Don’t be rude.” We all laugh at each other before beginning our way back home, Zee in tow.

“How’ve you two been doing, anywho? Heard the old man caught you two sneakin’ ‘round the train station at night again, you lil’ devils!” They chuckle light heartedly, though it does make us a bit tense. Not an encounter we enjoyed taking part in.

“We’ve been fine,” I answer, crossing my arms with numerous bags hanging from each. “We miss the nightlife of the city. We were practically nocturnal back when we lived in Monorise City.

“Oh yeeaaahhh.” They skate a little ahead of us before spinning and beginning to skate backwards so they can face us as they speak. “Pops mentioned you said something about a friend only awake at night. ‘Sup with that, huh? What kinda people live nocturnal city lives? Is that how you two made a living back then?”

“Still do--!” Cat blurts out before covering their mouth. Yeah. We’re definitely a bit too lax around Zee. Can’t help it sometimes though. “U-uhh, it’s a contract job. We don’t have a schedule or anything, but we get some work done when they need us to or when we’re in town.”

Not bad, Cat.

“Neat! Sounds like my job but on a larger scale, y’know? You should tell me more about it sometime!” They offer us a big ‘ol smile, and goddammit, it’s hard not to fall in love with a face like that.

“Maybe another time. Things are a bit rocky since moving here, but it’s starting to settle down.” I return the favour with a wink and a slight smirk. “Once we figure out what’s going on, we’ll get back to you, promise.”

They shoot us some finger guns after a twirl on their skates. “It’s a promise then! I’ll actually be taking a day off in two days, so I’ll come by for a visit then!” Before they can make any jokes, though, a catchy tone rings from their vest pocket. They swiftly whip their phone out before slamming their palm against their forehead. “...Aw crap! I forgot Ms. Ophelia wanted me to help her with some gardening! I’ll just have to work that charisma of mine, eh~?” They give us a peace sign, only to dash off at speeds I didn’t think possible on skates. “Catch ya laterrrrrrrrrrr!”

Their voice grows more and more distant as they zoom off with a wave, leaving us in the dust. What an interesting soul. The prospect of a day with them does sound nice. Monday… I’m looking forward to it. I’m also looking forward to a quick meal and some nice rest. Cat and I make our way back home, chatting and thanking the stars that Zee showed up when they did. After a sandwich for me, and what’s basically just bread with meat for Cat (I don’t judge), we call it a night, until the night really begins.

93