Chapter 18 – Fox’s Out Of The Bag
1.1k 5 61
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With not much to do around the house, the two of us spend the rest of the day getting some fresh air. We even go to check out that “library” James told us about. It isn’t much, more of a little bookstore than anything, but I hadn’t been expecting much beyond that. We pick up some books to occupy our time back home and head back out. Thankfully with the extra cash from last night, we have less to worry about in terms of expenses. Money is usually a little tight since we only do one or two heists a week to maintain a low profile, but with the goddess’ new task at hand we might make enough to actually secure a home here.

Once we make it back home, Cat immediately waves to me and walks ahead. “Alright, I’m feeling pretty tired, and we’re gonna want some rest if we’re going out again tonight.” 

I nod and watch her yawn, which makes me yawn in response. Cat giggles at my reaction.

“Yeah, you’re right. Alright, I’ll see you in the evening then.” 

Waving back to her, I begin making my way to my room as she enters her’s. As I walk by her door, I see she hasn’t closed it fully. Concerned, I push the door open a bit and see Cat sitting on her bed and staring down at the floor, only to perk up as she notices me.

“I-is something wrong, Fox?”

“I should be asking you the same, Ms. Kitten.” 

She sighs with a smile and shakes her head. “It’s not something to worry about, I’m sure it’ll get better over time.”

“Now that sounds especially like something that won’t get better over time.” My tail snakes its way out from under my shirt and I take my hat off, ears flying upwards and making Cat laugh just a bit. “Shut it. I didn’t ask for them to be this big.”

“Neither did I with my cat tits, but that didn’t stop my body from making that choice!” I roll my eyes before we laugh at each other. “Sorry, sorry. You’re right, but there’s not much that can be done right now. It’s about Yombroila, so we’ll just have to wait until she shows up again.” 

I tilt my head at her before nodding. “Alright, but if something is bothering you that much, come talk to me about it, okay?” 

She nods and already begins taking off her top, giving me the perfect reason to turn around and close the door.

“G’night, Fox.”

“Y-yeah, good night, Cat.”

 

There are no dreams to haunt me tonight at least, yet it feels as though something is sitting there, just out of view in my mind. I can rest easily enough, but it’s unnerving once I become aware of it, so I try to shake it out of my head. We have an important job to be focusing on now, one that’s paying us well. Upon waking, I throw the covers off and get out of bed, looking at the clothes on the chair by the door. Somehow, our initial transformation changed them too and I so desperately wish I could put them on now and have them fit. The fact that they don’t hurts to think about way too much, so I just wait. It’s not long until midnight anyways. Walking out of my room, I see Cat already sitting at the dining room table, so I join her as she stares out the window.

“Still got something on your mind?” I ask. 

Cat doesn’t move for a moment before sighing, still looking out at the moon. “Just nervous about seeing Yombroila again. Last time I talked to her, she… Well, she didn’t seem too happy about me not wanting you to go out last night after your moment, and then we went off and did it anyways.” 

Her tail swishes back and forth anxiously as she turns in her seat to face me.

“Really? She seems understanding enough, I’m sure she won’t be upset or anything.” I sit down and fold my arms over one another atop the table, looking out the window as Cat did before turning to her. “Besides, we did what she wanted us to do, how can she be mad at that?” 

Cat’s eyes dart to the side before she closes them and sighs. “You’re right. I’m…probably just over thinking things.”

I offer what I hope is a comforting smile, and she smiles back somewhat weakly as we wait there, moments away from-- Woosh. Like a swift gust of wind, we’ve changed back to our ‘true selves.’ I shiver for a moment, not a bad shiver actually. I’m starting to enjoy getting out of that old body and into this new one, especially now that I see that the only reason I’ve been so resistant to it is because I don’t want others to see me like this. I want to see myself like this, but I feel so wrong for wanting that. Why would I enjoy being a girl and being treated like one? I almost feel like a creep, a guy wanting to be a girl. Cat’s been a girl this whole time, she’s always known it. Yet here I am, masquerading under the same guise except it’s been thrust upon me. I hate feeling like I’m lying to myself and everyone around me, even Cat and Yombroila think I’m the same as my partner, but that just can’t be true.

“Am I gonna have to console you now, too?” 

I hear a giggle that draws my attention away from myself, Cat having noticed that I’ve been staring blankly for some time, but I shake my head.

“It’s nothing, just still getting used to all this.” 

Cat gives me a disapproving glare. Yikes. She’s starting to catch on. 

“Look, just give me some time, alright?” 

She sighs and stands up. I find myself joining her as we feel Yombroila’s light reaching us once more. 

“Actually, wait.”

 

“Alright. Just…please talk to me about it soon? I can promise you, I can help with these kinds of things.” 

I give her a weak nod, hesitant to promise anything more as I walk over to the closet and pull out the spare chair Zee had used earlier, placing it by the table and taking a seat myself. 

Cat joins me and jests, “Nothing like a family dinner, huh?”

“I don’t even want to think about the last time I ate with my family.”

“It seems that is not a worry to be struggling with,” a familiar, motherly voice calls out to us from nowhere, before the goddess herself begins to materialize atop the chair I’d set for her, “For I can already tell you’ve been working through your internally waged war. I’m proud of you, Fox.”

“O-oh, uhh, thank you… Uhh…” Not sure why it felt so nice to hear that. Maybe because my own flesh and blood had never offered me the same? “...This isn’t much of a family dinner as is, but would you like some tea…?”

Yombroila thinks for a moment before ‘smiling’ and nodding. You know, despite still harbouring some resentment towards her, she’s honestly pretty nice, and she’s trying to make up for her mistake in the end. I go to get the kettle out, starting to boil some water before turning around to rejoin the conversation.

“I appreciate the hospitality, even though I may not be here for long. My duty remains, and my children need me.” We both nod to her as she closes her eyes and places her hands in her lap. “I am also aware of your triumph over a sector the Inkton Witch had under her control. It was surprising to feel a sudden dispersing of energy, but I am pleased all the same by your job well done.” I look at Cat and smile, to which she rolls her eyes. “Even more surprising, however, was the location you’d chosen. Why specifically the manor designated wind?” 

I can’t help but grin and lean back against the counter.

“Easiest job in the business,” I answer as casually as possible.

“Ah, you’ve had prior experience then. I’d not had a chance to properly scout that area out, but from the energy of the commander the Inkton Witch had put in charge, I would have saved that one for third or fourth out of the primary locations of the Radiant Army’s forces. You two show great promise.” 

Oh, wow. That’s kinda cool, actually. Our powers came so naturally to us and that wasn’t even the easiest target but we cleared it pretty easily? Kinda flattering. The kettle begins to go off and I get to making the tea, pouring a cup for each of us before placing the kettle in the middle of the table and taking a seat with everybody. 

“If I might ask, however, who was the commander you faced?” Yombroila inquired.

“Funny you ask, actually,” Cat begins, bringing her tea up to her lips and blowing gently on it, while Yombroila immediately begins drinking without issue, “Niamh said to send you her regards--”

I’d never seen someone actually do a spit-take, let alone someone without a mouth, but here we are, the goddess spitting out her tea like a broken fountain.

“N-Niamh?! Wh-- Why would she-- Oh, that snake bitch!” 

Another first for me: seeing a being made of light blushing. It makes her face even brighter. The both of us are taken aback, putting our cups down and looking at the goddess with concern. My concern is focused on the goddess herself, whereas Cat seems more afraid for us. 

“Tens of thousands of years and the next time I actually hear about her and she’s been contracted by the damn Inktons?! What in the gods damned hell are you--” She catches herself, realizing her outburst and collecting herself with a sigh.

“Is…is something the matter, ma’am…?” I ask, leaning back in and blowing on my tea once more, finally getting it to a nice sipping temperature.

“No. Nothing is the matter. I merely have a history with Nia.” She sits up straight and looks composed, until Cat begins speaking.

“Nia…?”

 

“Anyways! Do not worry about that commander, she shall trouble you no more, I can assure you. Now, are you prepared for your mission?” Cat and I look at each other and shrug before nodding at Yombroila. “Good. Your first mission, or what would have been your first mission, is to infiltrate the manor of fire, located to the south of Monorise City.”

“Oh, that must be the House of a Thousand Chimneys.” Yombroila stares at me for a moment before nodding.

“Yes, indeed there are many chimneys adorning that house. And inside said house is the commander: Ares.” 

Cat doesn’t seem all too pleased by that news. “Ares? As in, the god of war, pompous loser and disrespecter of women?”

“...No. Well… Perhaps your interpretation is more accurate than that of the Greeks, but he is not exactly as told in myth. You may not know, but… Niamh shares a name with a nordic mythological figure. Such is the case with many of the Radiant; those who have travelled between the World of Shade and the Radiant World are often remembered through mythology and legends. Even now, Mothman and the like roam until they feel the need to return to their--”
“MOTHMAN REAL?!” Cat nearly throws herself out of her chair, startling me, and…irritating Yombroila? It’s hard to say just by looking at her face. My partner stands there for a moment before clearing her throat and sitting back down. “Sorry. Sorry, that’s just-- Wow. Mothman’s real…”

“...Indeed. Thankfully, while the Radiant have been recorded throughout mythology, such recordings are mere shadows of the true self. Niamh has certainly never been recorded as the… Haughty Temptress she is. As such, should you know anything about any particular Radiant, I would suggest you keep that knowledge, yet take it with a grain of salt. Their abilities and personalities may be similar to what you know, but not exactly the same.” 

The two of us nod at the goddess before looking at each other and smiling, feeling our next heist just around the corner.

“Is that everything then? We’ll get on it as soon as we can.” It’s kind of embarrassing how much my tail is wagging, so antsy to get to work.

“Quite.” Cat and I begin to stand and grab our soon-to-be empty tea cups, only for Yombroila to stop us once more. “One last thing, however…” We both look to her, Cat still walking over to the counter to wash her cup as she listens. “...Ares and I have always been at odds. Do not let your resolve waver at his words. Being Ascended, you have a natural resistance to such things, however, you are both very new to this, as well as being…different from the typical Ascended. All I can ask is that you do not listen to him. Defeat him and burn a hole through his chest.

I’m taken aback by the goddess’ sudden intensity, though Cat appears less phased. 

“Understood. We’ll put him in his place then,” I answer.

Yombroila nods and stands up, placing her cup on the counter before floating up and backwards, beginning to shine brighter before her light dissipates.

“I’m counting on you, heroes. Don’t let me or your kin down.”

 

Once geared up and ready to go, Cat and I make haste in working our way towards the city. The House of a Thousand Chimneys sits on the edge of the city, probably to keep all the smoke it produces as far from the general populace as possible. It’s something of a factory in there, and kept about as clean as a sweatshop, so the two of us try to spend as little time in and around the manor as we can. On the way into Monorise, I spot something unusual above us: a bird. Not something typically of note, but we rarely ever see any at this time of night. Keeping an eye on it, we delve further into the city until we’re a few alleyways short of our target, at which point I grab Cat and hunker down in the darkness for a moment.

“Have you noticed the--”

“The bird? Yeah. You think it’s Waywright’s familiar or something?” 

I’m not too keen on what a familiar is exactly, but I understand it enough that Cat’s suggestion is worrisome.

“I can’t say. She does like summoning things, so you may not be too off target. Should we try taking it out?” I put my claw to my chin and turn my gaze from the sky to Cat, her eyes wide and still staring upwards, tail swishing from side to side.

“I’d love to swat that thing right out of the air, to be honest.” 

Uh oh. Her cat instincts are kicking in it seems. She looks about ready to climb up these walls and pounce. I wonder if she would do the cat butt wiggle if she were to do that…

“Let’s not get too hasty, that could be what Waywright wants, to lure us up into a vulnerable position.”

“Oh man, that’d be a great plan if I were an evil mastermind!”

 

Cat and I whip our heads around, pulling ourselves closer and into defensive stances, only to see a shadow rounding the corner holding their hands up with palms facing us. 

“Whoa whoa whoa, c’mon, y’all don’t recognize-- OH MY GOD!!”

“OH MY GOD?!”

“ZEE?!”

Before we get a chance to question anything more, our small town friend charges at us, throwing their arms wide and hurling themselves onto the two of us. 

“You’re-- OH MY GOD YOU’RE ACTUAL FURRIES, HOLY SHIT?!” 

Bless the stars we’re a decent enough distance away from our target, because Zee is NOT keen on using their inside voice right now. 

“You’re so soft too! Oh my god. Oh. My god!” Zee pulls us in a bit tighter before stepping back and giving us a good look from head to toe. “What the hell, you’re both hot as hell! Well, not that you weren’t both attractive before, but like… DAMN…!” 

The two of us blush and rub the backs of our heads, my tail wagging a bit harder while Cat’s sways a bit more calmly

“U-uhh, thank you Zee, but what are you-- I mean-- Wait no-- Uhh-- This isn’t what it looks like!” I scramble to both sort out my feelings and find an excuse for the fact that we’re, what, furries they said? A paw rests on my shoulder before its owner sighs.

“C’mon, Fox, there’s really no hiding it now. Besides, we did promise we’d tell them about our profession, didn’t we?”

“You can get PAID for being SEXY FURRY BABES?! What the hell!” Zee is ecstatic, hands balled into vibrating fists, a huge grin on their face, eyes gleaming even in this dark alley. It’s the complete opposite of what I would have expected from just about anyone finding out about these forms.

“No-- No…” I shake my head and sigh, turning my body to lean against the wall. “We’re…we’re thieves. We raid ultra rich homes, grab a few things, then sell them on the black market.”

“Aw hell yeah! Eat the rich! Ah, actually, that would be more possible now that you’re animals, huh?” 

Eugh! The idea alone repulses me, even if I completely and wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment.

“We’re not eating people. We’re not suddenly wild animals just because we’re these… animal people now!” 

Both Cat and Zee snicker at me, my glare shifting between either of them.

“You can say furries, Fox.”

“What?”

“We’re furries now.”

“I don’t know what a furry is, Cat!” 

The two of them burst out laughing, Cat falling against a wall and Zee nearly toppling onto the ground. My arms cross and my frown widens, tapping my foot as I wait for the hilarity to end.

“Oh-- Oh my god Fox-- I mean, technically I’m a furry, but not in the same way that you two are! I’m kind of jealous, to be honest!” 

Zee stands back up with a huff, walking over and wrapping their arms around me wow they’re actually a good bit taller than me now… I give them a harrumph, trying to not let my flusteredness show, but as soon as their hand meets my head oh god it’s all over. I just melt into them. 

“...Ohhhhh my god, Fox. Fox you are SO CUTE. Fox? Oh my god.” 

I can hear what they’re saying, but I can’t bring myself to fight back, this feels too good… My tail wags harder, my foot begins to thump lightly against the ground, and I just don’t care, at least, until Zee pulls back.

“H-hey, don’t take advantage of this!” I say with a light growl.

Zee simply smirks. “Are you saying you wouldn’t want me to do that again?” 

Erk. I turn my head to the side and grumble, refusing to answer as my arms cross once again. 

My perpetrator chuckles and waves their hand jovially. “Okay, okay, I’ll stop teasing now, I’m sure you get enough of that from Cat as is.” 

My partner nods and smiles softly, only to bring her paw up to her chin. “Wait, so, why are you here, Zee?”

61