Chapter 36 – Do the Worm
575 3 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“And that’s why we’re slowly turning into anthropomorphic animals.”

James nods at Cat with his head hung low, staring down at his nearly empty tea cup before I slink my tail around the handle of the kettle and pour him some more.

“A-ah! So, uhm…you turn into the full things every night, huh…?”

I give him a nod and a cheeky smile.

“Don’t go thinking about trying to catch us in the act, we’re busy girls, we’ve got places to be.”

“Busy girls, huh…”

I raise an eyebrow at him before watching him shake his head frantically, as if trying to rattle a tick of a thought out of his head.

“And this is happening all over the place now thanks to…Yoroomba?”

“Yombroila,” I correct him.

“That’s awesome…!”

I can’t help but chuckle at his reserved enthusiasm.

“You seem pretty intrigued by all this, James,” Cat begins, leaning back in her chair and gazing intently at our guest. “Are you interested in ascending?”

That really gets his attention, the guy perking up and looking between Cat and I rapidly.

“Ah, I-I mean, I couldn’t, right…? I’m not a girl so--”

“Trans,” my partner corrects. “You gotta be trans or non-binary. I think? Honestly, it’s probably more complex than that. That’s as far as I can tell, anyways.”

“R-right, trans…”

James’ mind seems to stir on this thought for a moment before he sighs.

“Yeah, I’d love to, I just dunno…”

Cat and I look at each other, then James, then back at each other. Our grins spread wide.

“Take your time, James,” I advise. “I certainly took my time.”

He seems perplexed by what I say, tilting his head at me before looking to Cat as she stands up.

“Well, it’s been nice catching up with you, James, but Fox and I have a busy day ahead of us--”

“We do?”

We do.

Our guest almost seems sad at the prospect of leaving, getting back onto his feet and hanging his head with a nod.

“R-right, sorry to intrude on you two… I’m glad you’re doing alright, though. I was worried enough hearing the rumors, so I figured I’d check in on you two since, uhh… I thought…not many around here would…”

“Well, you’re not wrong there,” I admit with a shrug. “It’s nice to know someone else has our backs.”

James nods and bows slightly, smiling ever so slightly through his anxiety. He turns to Cat to offer the same, though, she seems a bit more…regretful?

“...Y’know, we do have a bit of free time, if you wanna hang around and, like…listen to us play for a bit longer.”

Our visitor practically jumps out of his shoes at the prospect, though still seems somewhat reserved.

“Are you sure? I wouldn’t want to--”

“Alright, nope, you’re definitely hanging out, you anxious baby.”

Cat walks right on over to him as she says that, sitting him back down as she looks to me, smiling.

“Got a song in mind, hun?”

“I might…~

 

Scooting my chair back and hopping onto my feet, I nearly twirl in excitement, only for Cat to take my hand and spin me about instead, the two of us giggling the whole time. Once I’m back on my feet, I clear my throat and strum the air, tuning the gust of wind forming into a guitar slung around my back.

“Saturday spent the first day of the weekend with you~ You were lying close. To. Me~”

My foot begins to tap to the rhythm I seek, and my hands follow suit as the chords flow out of my windy guitar like a spring breeze.

“Sunday, how you once a day should linger with me~  Somehow we are meant. To. Be~”

I look over and watch our one-person audience staring in awe as I conjure music and wind, and Cat begins to follow my musical machinations, stepping here, there, back, and again, hips and tail swinging before-- Oh! Taking the tip of my tail in her hand and spinning me about again!

“Monday, I was thinking every second of you~ Trying to raise. A. Nice. Thought~”

I grin and smile through my singing, Cat’s melodious piano joining in my playing with each step in such a hypnotic way, each step glowing with a gentle light that follows the rhythm and beat of our song.

“Tuesday I never thought about you for. A Mom~ent~ At the movies with. My. Friends~”

The two of us dance and sing and play, my heart racing, feeling so alive in this moment, and best of all, it looks like it’s an infectious feeling from the way James is on the edge of his seat, tapping his foot to our rhythm. I look back up at Cat, who was looking in much the same direction before turning to me, nudging my head in James’ direction, as if she didn’t already have the same idea in mind.

My partner spins me once more, sending me away as she leans forward towards our guest and offers him a hand, a wink, and a ‘ma’am?’. The blushing mess points at himself and mouths ‘me?” at Cat, getting a giggle out of us both before she nods to him. He hesitantly reaches for her and she pulls him up. The rhythmic steps continue as my partner pulls James into her dance, and though he’s more than a bit clumsy, it’s plain as day that he’s loving every moment of trying.

The song changes, but the spirit of song and dance doesn’t, all three of us going on and on into the day until our poor visitor looks absolutely exhausted from dancing. I can’t blame him considering the energy I feel coming off Cat just from watching her dance. My partner sits James back down, and the performance is finally over, my guitar dispelling itself as I clap for the two dancers.

“Bravo, bravo!” I cheer, earning me a less than modest bow from Cat and more blushing from James.

“Th-that was amazing…!” James says through his panting, clearing his throat as he sits up straight and tries to compose himself. “U-uhm… Thank you two so much… I don’t think I’ve had that much fun since I was a little kid…”

We both offer him a smile, myself being the one to step over and help him up this time as I walk him towards our door.

“I felt much the same, James. We’ll have to do this again, yeah?”

Our guest nods and smiles at me, helping himself out of my arms as Cat opens the door for him.

“I’d really like that! O-oh, right, uhm…” he stammers, standing just outside our door and turning back to us. “...Be careful around other villagers, please? They…they’re not taking to the rumors as kindly as I… Harold is only making that worse too…”

Ough. I give James a nod. “We’re always careful, James, no worries. You take care of yourself too, alright?”

I offer him a smile and see a shy smile form on his face. “R-right, I will. I’ll, uhh…see you all again sometime…?”

“Hopefully,” Cat says with a sigh. “Considering the complaints we heard as a result of us, we might not be able to stick around forever.”

“Yeah, uhm, good luck then, you two.”

We both give him a nod before closing the door and looking at each other.

“You don’t think he’ll go blabbing about us…?” Cat asks, crossing her arms and holding them nervously.

“Not unless he wants to miss out on what he just called the most fun he’s had since he was a kid.”

My partner chuckles at me before sighing. “I sure hope you’re right. He seems nice enough, but… I dunno, seeing that mob last night really rattled me.”

With a swish of my tail, I walk over to my girlfriend and wrap her up in a tight hug, feeling her arms come around me swiftly after.

“Remember what you told me? Don’t worry about it for now. We’ve got a lot more cash now, so finding a home elsewhere shouldn’t be as hard. Maybe we could even see where all the other Ascended have been heading!”

Cat’s hand comes up to stroke through my hair, making me lean against her more.

“That’s true, but…it’s more so that we might cause such a stir that a mob could show up. I just want to be comfortable as myself, not cause mass panic…”

“And you’re not! Look, the folks of Railsent are all pretty weird like that. We’ll find our place, I promise. Just focus on you and me for now.”

I hear her sigh before she slides down to one knee and takes my lips in her’s, her palms holding my cheeks while I pull her deeper into the hug.

“Mmm… Focusing on us is always pretty good…~”

With some time left in the day before sleep, I begin pulling her towards my room. I throw open the door before throwing myself onto my bed, my girlfriend blushing at me as I lay against my pillows before she hops on in with me.

“Jeez, when I said we had a busy day ahead of us, I didn’t think it’d be this busy~”

“Shut up and let me love you,” I snip back.

I grab her shoulders and pull her in closer, kissing her again, but letting her have a bit more leverage over me as I begin to slide down and under her.

“This ain’t a one way street, you know…~”

“Then walk with me, love~”

 

What happens from then ‘til sunset is probably best left undescribed for the sake of the very ace editor, bless her soul.

 

I awaken to find two layers of warmth laid atop me, one a whole lot more snuggly than the other, and I’m all for it. Looking out the window, there’s no Sue, no Zee, just bright moonlight shining down on my lover and I. Ough, that brings such a nice fuzzy feeling to my gut just thinking it. My claw runs gently through her hair, and I bask in the gentle purring of my girlfriend atop me, closing my eyes and enjoying every moment until woosh, fwoom, our true forms return. This results in my muzzle growing out and poking against Cat’s nose, much to my amusement as she begins to stir, hugging me even tighter. Her eyes flutter open and she smiles at me. By softly stroking  her head I pull her in closer until we kiss.

“Good evening, babe.”

“Good evening, kitty cat.”

It’s as fortunate as it is unfortunate that our playfulness only results in more snuggling and kissing, something that’ll probably result in us being late for our meeting with the goddess if we don’t get up soon. But honestly, I don’t mind. We eventually do get up and get dressed, throwing together a quick meal and grabbing something to drink before heading out, opening our door and--

“...Sue-Zee, why are you lying face first in the dirt in front of our house.”

Our navigators peel their face up from the ground and grin at us upon my asking, standing up and patting the dirt off their clothes.

“Thought we’d get a quick nap in before we got down to business.”

“...So, exactly how long have you two been laying here?”

“Don’t worry about it!” they answer Cat. 

Honestly, should we expect anything less from Sue-Zee? My partner shakes her head as we begin making our way towards Yombroila forest.

“Oh yeah, a-an update for you two…” Sue begins midway to the forest, “Harold didn’t tell me much of what’s going on, other than for…us to watch out for trouble? From the looks of town hall, he might be going on the defensive.”

“Concerning, but nothing we can’t handle, right Cat?”

I look at my partner grimacing. She shakes her head and looks back at me.

“Yeah. Yeah, we should be fine…”

I reach over and take Cat’s hand in mine, giving it a reassuring squeeze and coaxing a smile out of her as we continue our trek to the goddess.

“Hey you two,” Cat starts as we’re about to reach our destination, “what’s your sixth sense say about that James fella? The one who runs the harvest shop.”

“Hmm? Ohhh. Uhm… Not sure, honestly… We haven’t talked to him much, he’s really shy so… Why, do you suspect something about him?”

“Maybe. Just maybe.”

I have no idea what they’re talking about, but it’s quickly forgotten as we begin making our way into the forest only to be stopped in our tracks by…yelling?

 

“Tens! Of thousands! Of YEARS!!” Yombroila’s voice screeches as we approach, not sounding like her typical sternness, rather…genuine frustration.

“Oh, please, darling, you’re making a big fuss out of nothing!” another familiar voice says. 

Ah. That’s why she’s mad.

“NIA, YOU ATTACKED MY CHILDREN FOR THE INKTON WITCH!!”

“And my wonderfully thick butt was thoroughly whooped, your girls left without a scratch on them, and I’m no longer bound by the contract!”

We all finally get close enough to see the two of them bickering at the giant tree. Yombroila is near its base while Niamh is coiled around a branch just feet above the goddess, laying back and looking like she hasn’t a care in the world.

“I don’t want to hear one more word about your wonderfully thick butt, Nia!” the goddess yells, pointing at the snake, then down to the ground. “GET!! DOWN HERE!!”

“What? Would you rather see said wonderfully thick butt in that case~?”

“Wh-- N-no! Silence! I’ll not have you toy with my emotions any longer, Nia!”

“Oh, but you used to love--”

“Ahem.”

I clear my throat as the four of us step forward, Yombroila looking incredibly flustered and embarrassed, while Niamh takes the opportunity to swoop on down from the tree and plant a kiss on the goddess’ cheek.

“Y-YOU FIEND!!” Yombroila shrieks, curling her hands up into fists and shaking them in frustration, meanwhile Niamh floats over to our sides, throwing her arms over mine and Sue-Zee’s shoulders.

“First in a looooooong time~” the snake sings. “And there’s more where that came from, I’m sure you know, Yom~”

“...Do…do we want to know?” Cat asks, Yombroila blushing and looking away from all of us.

“I won’t say anything if you don’t want me to~” Niamh says with a chuckle. “As fun as it would be to spill the beans~”

“You will speak not a SINGLE WORD OF THIS to ANYBODY until we have SETTLED IT OURSELVES, NIA!!”

“Oh~? So you do care!” the snake woman exclaims, throwing herself over the four of us and wrapping her arms around a now struggling goddess.

“G-GET YOUR DIRTY HANDS OFF OF ME, TEMPTRESS!!”

It’s then Yombroila remembers she can just disappear out of Niamh’s arms, the goddess appearing a few feet away and clearing her voice as the serpent falls onto her front.

“...I see you all have become more than acquainted with this… I regret to say, old friend of mine.”

Just a friend, Yom? Oh, you wound me!” Niamh says, propping herself up on her elbows, still laying on the ground. “And here I thought we were so much more~! What ever happened to me being your…how did you put it…?”

“Nia, I will smite you where you lay.”

“Your sweet serpent girl~?”

I had no idea Yombroila even had legs under that dress until one came flying out and created a crater where Niamh’s face once was.

“...Disregarding all of that…greetings, my children.”

We all continue to stare at the limp body of Niamh as each one of us waves at the goddess clearing her throat.

“...At the very least, if you are to work with my old comrade, I will know you are in capable…if sloppy hands.”

“You certainly didn’t call them sloppy when I--”

Kick.

Yombroila huffs and holds her head in her hands.

“Don’t acknowledge her, Yomboila. Just. Brief the mission…” she mutters before straightening herself out.

 

“Yes, right. Tonight, my children, I am asking you to face a dear friend of mine.”

“Venus? Oh, I’d love to see them again~”

Yombroila rolls her eyes at Nimah once more. It seems there’s no escaping her commentary.

No, it is not Venus, a-and it was a one sided relationship! I had no interest in her wishy washy affairs.” The goddess sighs and floats back, her deific barrier having been broken by our serpent friend as she floats back and takes a seat by the grave next to the large tree.

“No, no. This friend is not of any pantheon of any sort. I would have you take up arms within the vast greenhouse within the central park.” 

Cat and I look at each other and grin, high fiving with jubilation. Fuck yes. We’ve never actually stolen from the menagerie because it’s a public attraction that anyone can go into for free, making it probably the only ethical ‘manor’ in that city. It’s also one that the two of us have visited on many an occasion considering we never had the money to go anywhere else.

“Inside, you will find many ponpa, the thralls of--”

“Oh, you mean the borbs?” I interrupt, then taking a few moments of silence before realizing my rudeness and shrinking back. “S-sorry, continue.”

“...The ponpa are thralls of my friend, Minhocão.

Niamh’s face finally pops out of the hole Yombroila had replaced it with, a comical pop echoing through the woods as it does. The snake’s returning face carries a pained cringe.

Minhocão? As in the worm? That Minhocão?” Niamh grumbles out, her displeasure bringing mild amusement to Yombroila’s face.

“Indeed! Unfortunately, while they are a dear friend, they are also--”

“A real asshole,” Niamh interrupts, only for the goddess to shoot her a glare that forces her hands up in surrender.

“...Competitive,” Yombroila corrects. “Nothing brings them more joy than a fair and noble challenge. This, I suspect, will not be a problem with you all, knowing the challenges you’ve faced thus far. If you’ve bested even Azathoth--”

I flinch at the mention of my hunter’s name, my tail shuddering as it coils around my leg fearfully. The goddess notices my discomfort and looks at me sadly, floating up, disappearing, and reappearing behind me to embrace me in her gentle arms, helping to alleviate my shaking.

“...then you are capable of overcoming any obstacle set before you. Of this, I know.”

I find Cat’s hand on my shoulder as she smiles down at me, Sue-Zee offering much the same, while Niamh finally picks herself up off the ground and gives me a grin.

“No small thanks to me, of course~”

Cat and Yombroila roll their eyes at the snake before the goddess reappears in the middle of the five of us.

“My advice to you is this: trust your instincts. Listen to the song of your souls and make me proud, my children.”

The tip of Niamh’s tail rattles soundlessly as she looks up at the goddess with pleading eyes, Yombroila staring back with a blushing face of unamusement.

“...And you, Nia. If my children do not return in one piece, know I am blaming you and you will face fitting repercussions.”

The serpent giggles at the goddess and slinks over behind the rest of us, pulling us into a big fluffy hug with her wings, squishing us all together.

“Me, let a single scratch harm my dear friends? Not a chance, Yom~ You know I’m a better healer than that~”

I can see Yombroila about to make a rebuttal, but something about her annoyed expression changes as she looks at our group. There’s almost a melancholy to her eyes, something Niamh catches onto right away.

“...Just like old times, eh?”

The goddess continues to stare after the snake’s comment, then closing her eyes and… Is she crying…?

“...Just…like old times…” she murmurs, quietly floating over to us and joining the hug. 

In that moment, I swear her armour-like plating begins to flow and gain the softness of her dress. Yombroila savours the embrace until she’s had her fill, floating back and looking at all of us, then Niamh.

“...Please, please take care of them.”

“You know I will.”

But the goddess shakes her head.

“Fox saw Penny.”

I feel Niamh’s winged embrace pull away, and turning around, I see her wide eyed face staring down at me. I wave sheepishly and she waves back, her face relaxing.

“This sounds like something that needs to be discussed another time. In the meanwhile…”

The snake looks up at Yombroila again, her face looking much more serious than I’d ever seen before as her arms cross.

“Don’t do anything stupid because of this, Yom. I don’t know what it means either, but you matter just as much as the rest of us.”

“I know!” the goddess exclaims, shaking her head, “I know, I know, I just… Whatever it does mean, I know I have to do something about it, I need to…”

“You need to let go. She’s gone. I miss her as much as you do but she, Rasp, and Berry, they’ve moved on. And you should too.”

Yombroila huffs and hangs her head, then pulling herself up to try and look a little more dignified.

“...I know. You’re right. Just…okay. Keep everyone safe, yourself included.”

“Keep yourself safe too, then. Penny would never let you live it down if you didn’t.”

The goddess nods at Niamh, the rest of us looking around at each other, thoroughly confused.

“Sooo, y’all gonna explain what any of that meant?” Cat asks, tail gently swishing back and forth.

“And ruin all this delicious foreshadowing?” Zee answers in place of the other two. “We’re probably even more lost than you two, but we’re sure all this’ll be explained when it becomes important.”

“Ah, I could take some time to explain--”

“Ah-- Bup-- Bup!” our navigator interrupts, wagging a finger in the air. “Foreshadowing. Besides, we’ve got worm butt to kick!”

Everyone around Sue-Zee sighs with mental exhaustion, sans Niamh, who giggles at the absurdity of it all.

“Understood. Then, my children, and Niamh. Make me proud. Send Minhocão my regards.”

The goddess disappears into nothingness once again, all of us looking at each other and nodding before making our way out of the forest…and back into a town now patrolled by torch, scythe, and pitchfork bearing villagers.

I sigh. “Just what do you think they’re going to do once they realize their monster is a band of sexy furries.”

38