Chapter 38 – King of the Desert
551 2 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The interior is just as I remember it, though, the nighttime festival setting gives it a different air than I’m used to. Thankfully, most all of the borbs seem to have been stationed outside. Although, considering what Yombroila told us about him, this could be a straight road to the boss room. With few enemies in sight along the menagerie’s entrance, I get a good view of all the flora basking in both the light of the moon and those of the lights outside, trailing off into the night’s darkness. The plants here are all just unkempt enough to be overflowing out of where they’re planted, mingling with other flora and reaching out to any visitors. It always had a tranquil whimsy to it in the day, but at night, and in these lights, it takes on an adventurous air, leading us through a jungle of untamed wilderness. Ironic, considering it’s all confined within the greenhouse, but it almost feels like it chooses to stay within these walls as opposed to being trapped here. Both the shadowy and glowing plants paint a coiling picture of nature’s majesty upon the geometric canvas, creating an odd but enthralling mixture of wilderness and modernity.

What borbs we do find along our path and atop the glass ceiling of the greenhouse either keep to themselves or scamper away, leading me to believe they’re not much of a threat when away from the others, making our trek towards the depths of the manor all the smoother. Eventually, we find ourselves greeted by the many butterflies and bugs the owner of this place cares for, all fluttering about peacefully. Some even chase some of the borbs about in a playful manner. These creatures almost seem to fit right in with the greenhouse, although, the same can’t really be said about the growing volume of sand strewn about the floor, piles billowing in size the further in we go. The soon towering mounds of sand lead us straight to a door with sand almost spewing from its bottom. If Geppette’s collection of cobwebs around the door to her lair is anything to go by, this must be our destination. I look back and forth between Cat, Navi, and Niamh, each of us nodding at one another.

“Any words of sage advice before we jump in, Niamh?”

“Don’t eat the yellow sand~”

I roll my eyes at her answer and open the door and immediately the flowing sands begin pouring out. Cat and I both lift our legs in an attempt to step up and into the sandy zone. Once we’re in, the door behind us vanishes, fading into dust and joining the sea of sand surrounding us. And that’s all there is. Sand. An entire desert surrounding us as far as we can see. Taking a few steps forward, it’s hard to describe the texture of the sand, kind of soft and completely solid at the same time. The sand moves when we step on it...almost like it’s moving with us, following our feet as we climb up a sandy hill and slide down the other side.

Even more odd is the ominous light coating the shifting sands. In the distance, no matter which way I look, I see a burning sunset, an intense red rising into a vibrant orange. The colour of the sand itself matches the waving motions of the sky’s lights, shimmering like a crimson ocean.

“...So this is it?” Cat asks. “Just sand? Nothin’ but a big ‘ol desert.”

“Should we just keep walking until we find Minhocão?” I ponder, my feet already idly moving me forward.

“Oh, don’t worry girls, that worm will come and find us soon enough~” Niamh says, spitting out the word ‘worm’ like a curse. “That man can smell a good fight miles away…”

“Wait wait wait,” I exclaim, shaking my head and my hands. “You keep referring to Minhocão as a ‘worm,’ even Yombroila did, but he’s supposed to be a good friend of hers, isn’t he? And if he’s a worm, why are we in a desert?”

“Brzt-- Well, according to a quick search Minhocão is known as a giant…

Sue’s dramatic pause lines up perfectly with the sudden vibrations underfoot, the sand beneath us no longer following our movements, and instead moving in the direction of the shaking’s source.

“Brzt-- Brazillian…”

The shaking turns from an intense vibration to an undulating motion, like a wave in the air, crashing against us, the sound of rhythmic clapping and castanets building in volume until…

Fwoosh!!

Rising from the earth before us, we watch as the sand coated monstrosity begins towering over us, rising higher and higher from below until they stand as tall as a telephone tower, only for the sand to fall from its body to reveal…

“Krzt-- ...SAND WORM.”

Minhocão. The worm’s body is as black as tar, and at his apex, a whirling circular maw of festering teeth, each of varying length within its own row. To the sides of his mouth are eyes, a LOT of them. There are more than two dozen I’d guess, each glowing an eerie green. Past his eyes, hundreds of weapons find themselves lodged into his back and sides. Swords, arrows, axes and more, just like his thralls wield.

“So, when is a good time to start running?”

The worm answers me with an ear rending shriek, like the sound of a scream and the screeching of blades against another combined.

“I THINK THAT’S OUR CUE!” Cat yells.

Picking me up and tossing me onto her back, she lunges forward just in time to avoid the crashing wave of sand and the crushing weight of his head as Minhocão’s dive forward. Thus, the chase begins, Cat running frantically away from the giant worm slithering through the sand with ease.

“Yombroila said this guy is her friend?!” I shout in confusion. “I’ve been hunted by enough giant beasts as dark as ink for one lifetime already, thank you!”

“She’s made a lot of weird friends, dearie!” Niamh says, keeping a close eye on the worm.

She whips up clouds of hail to protect us from the weapons being flung out of Minhocão’s back during his rough ride towards us. Despite her protections, the worm continues to gain on us. I look down and watch as the sand beneath Cat’s feet seems to be pulling her towards the beast!

“Remember, listen to your song, girls!”

Our songs… Niamh reminds me of when she mentioned Minhocão having a strong control over the soul’s song...but what if I fought back against that?

“Cat, hold onto me!”

“I’d love to save that for later, but alright!”

I adjust my position so we’re back to back, Cat reaching behind to hold me up by my rear as I take a deep breath and ready my guitar.

“Listen up, Minhocão!”

 

The speeding percussion of the worm’s music is intense, but I begin by following along at first, listening to my soul as I strum away. It’s tough, his melody is strong, but two can play at that game! I continue playing, feeling the wind in my hands becoming slicker and smoother, and each chord a lot more...amped. I turn the music up, my acoustic shifting to electric as my sound begins to overpower the worm’s. The sand begins following us instead, my wind moving us even faster as we out pace Minhocão in mere moments.

“Chuck me!”

Cat jumps and skids to the side, tossing me up as I continue playing then catching my tail and hurling me forward as I strike one last chord! I’m sent spinning, empowered by the wind and the sand as the whirring of buzzsaws surrounds me. Even the sand around me whirls into smaller blades as I land atop the worm’s back and buzz my way across to his other side, hearing him screech painfully once I’ve spun my way through the weapons on his back and land behind him.

“Give ‘em hell, Cat!”

My partner grins as the worm pulls himself up from the earth, shuddering. Cat stomps into the sand and launches herself up with the rising streetlamp, the sand following and building it even higher for a bigger boost before flying up with my partner! She quickly finds herself at the peak of her jump, just as tall as the worm.

“Eat SHIT, WORM!!”

Midair, Cat reels her foot back, light gathering into a sunny orb in front of her before she kicks it, the sand around her forming a small solar system orbiting the bomb that spins with a violent intensity straight into Minhocão’s mouth! The strength of the explosion is visible from the flashing lights seen through the worm’s thick hide, winding our enemy hard! Niamh helps Cat down with a floating cloud, and we all watch as Minhocão lurches upwards, then throws their body down, a seismic wave of sand blowing us back as he burrows deep within the earth.

“...Air. Get in the air, girls!” Niamh warns as we struggle back onto our feet, whipping up a cloud just as Cat has gotten off of hers and keeping her airborne.

I, on the other hand, don’t have such luxuries, having only enough time to leap up and flap my arms like wings as the shifting sands below begin to spiral, faster and faster as they form a whirlpool of sand. I can’t stay in the air long enough, it keeps spinning stronger and stronger! Just as I’m about to feel my feet being pulled six feet under, something catches my hand--

“Sue-Zee!”

With surprising strength, Navi pulls me up using the handle they’d apparently constructed onto themselves.

“Krzt-- No biggie, just savin’ the day ‘n all!”

I roll my eyes at my saviours before turning my attention to the whirling death below. From the center of the vortex, something shining begins to rise. A rugged crystal of brilliant blue, spinning slowly and gradually refining itself into a more clear cut gem, standing twice Cat’s height. Even the landscape around us begins to change, sand from far and wide cascading inward until only an arena made up of the swirling sand remains. Sand then rises high above us, forming something like the ceiling of a cave while the sky darkens around us. Eventually the whirlpool begins to slow, then cease before the sand around it drains away, creating an elevated arena for us to stand on surrounded by what appears to be some kind of stadium.

Chanting fills the air, the high pitched voices of the borbs echoing all about as their now glowing eyes mark their presence around and below our arena. They clap and play, filling the stadium below us, their music seeming to make the crystal in the middle glow brighter.

Cat quickly works her way to my side, Niamh poofing to full size, and Sue-Zee engaging Brute Justice, their suit looking even more complete than before. Our navigators slam the sides of their mechanical arms together before stepping in front of us all, barriers of metal extending and rising to protect us from whatever this crystal is about to do. Niamh huddles us together in her wings before coating us in a bubble of mist. This is about as defensive as we’re gonna get, just in time for--

Crack. Creak. CRASH!!

Sue-Zee’s barrier is pushed back by the force of the crystal exploding, even with the help of Niamh’s icy barrier. Despite their efforts, the strength of the blast still has my whole body shuddering! I hold onto Cat tight as Sue-Zee retracts their barrier and the chanting, screaming, and playing of the borbs below fills my head. Looking ahead of us, I see where all that power came from.

“You fight valiantly, rogues!” the giant figure booms in a deep and energetic voice. 

Clad in black armour with ornate designs etched into it, a flowing rainbow of colours coursing through the designs, the figure doesn’t even stand. Instead he hovers with giant wings that have the shape of angel wings and the texture of butterfly wings. His knightly helm has a single, large plume rising from it and the visor is more of an intricate mask than anything. Last but not least, in his hands, he holds a mighty blade and shield, and on his back, a bow and lance. Each weapon looks ancient and powerful.

 

“I shall show you my true power! Prove yourselves, for I am the Hero Minhocão!!”

“...Okay, suddenly a lot easier to see how Yombroila befriended him.”

But Niamh continues to stare wide-eyed at the knight even after my comment.

“No…no, this is not the Minhocão we fought. He’s stronger now.”

That’s incredibly concerning, especially hearing just how loud his song is. Guitars crying seriously, a heavy stomping carrying the melody, and most haunting of all, the joyous chanting and cheering of his thralls ringing through the cavern air, making his soul’s song more real than anything I’ve heard before. Thankfully, Minhocão seems to be waiting for us to attack first, giving us a brief moment of respite.

“Alright,” Zee starts, punching one gauntlet into the other’s palm, “it’s five against one! Just leave the tanking to us!”

Niamh gulps, seeming uncharacteristically nervous before flapping her wings and taking to securing the ring around the towering arena.

“I’ll support you all from the sides. Do take care, or Yom will kill me~”

We nod at her before turning back to the boss.

“All you then, Sue-Zee,” I say, patting their holographic back pointlessly.

Our navigators grin and clench one of their fists, spreading their skates before sparks begin flying from the back of them, only to suddenly rocket them up and away as they jump, Zee landing a solid hit as Minhocão pulls up his shield to block.

“These ones have zeal! However, can they withstand my blade?!”

Just as Sue-Zee lands, they find the knight’s blade falling upon them, bringing their arm barriers up just in time to block. By the cracks in the ground after impact, it’d seem it was a hard hit regardless of defenses. Zee throws another punch, hitting Minhocão’s armour and making him flinch only slightly, raising his shield in the direction of Navi as a scrap bomb comes his way.

“And magicless humans at that! Come! Show me your MIGHT!!”

Now seems like a better time than any to jump in and assist! As Zee goes in for more attacks, I dash around the knight while Cat takes his other side. I look for an opening and dive in, thrusting my claw forward with the vigor of a spear, while Cat passively blasts him with lasers. Just before I’m close enough, he knocks our navigators back with a shove of his heel as he turns to me, thrusting his shield forward and dispersing any wind following my attack! While his sword slices to the side at me, he turns his shield to Cat and sends her lasers right back at her, forcing her to duck out of the way while I dodge his blade.

Our healer to the side sends healing mists our way when we need it, but she seems nervous to attack at all. I’d guess her hesitation is due to the concern her magic could be reflected back at us, though even if we only attack directly it feels like there’s no opening! Each attack we make seems to be countered with complete ease, like he’s always one step ahead of us…or, he’s controlling the battle!

“Niamh, cover me!”

“On it, hun~”

I step back and strum once again, the snake soaring behind me and weaving clouds around me as my song begins. As soon as I contest the knight’s music, his eyes are on me, glowing and glaring through his visor.

“You’d dare interrupt my melody?” he says, wings fluttering powerfully behind him and pushing Sue-Zee and Cat back. 

The knight sheaths his sword and rests his shield on his hip before reaching for his spear, drawing it back and driving it directly at Niamh’s barrier of clouds.

“Oh, fair Niamh! Your trickery will only get you so far!”

The tip of his spear clashes with the clouds as I play, but his song is just too strong! Minhocão pulls his weapon back, slashing it back at Cat as she leaps for him with her morningstar and fending her back, then doing the same for Sue-Zee’s fists, only to pull his spear back once more and pierce straight through Niamh’s shield!

“Grk--!!”

I grunt as his weapon slides right through me as well, the serpent behind me pulling me back and off the ground as she tends to my wound.

“I’ll not give chase any longer! Flight can only bring you so far!”

Though it’s hard to make out details, his figure but a blur thanks to the fatigue of being stabbed, I’m still able to make out the knight putting his spear away and pulling out his bow. Our healer’s magic is effective and I find myself seeing straight once more, only to see an arrow the size of my whole body volleyed our way! Niamh whacks one away with her tail, taking damage in the process, only for more come! Thankfully, our allies below have our backs, Navi bombing and Cat shooting at the projectiles Niamh can’t dodge.

 

“We can’t keep this up…” I mutter. “His song is too strong!”

I see Niamh grimace and turn her head, only for her eyes to go wide and a smile to creep across her face. Turning to where she’s looking, I see Sue-Zee going back in to attack the knight to no avail.

“You know, that’s really not funny when our lives are at stake--”

“Oh, but it’s hilarious! Try to listen again, dearie~”

I sigh, but her advice hasn’t let me down before. Niamh swoops in closer and drops me by Sue-Zee’s side as they’re knocked back.

“Sue-Zee dears, turn up the volume and help Foxy out here, won’t you~?”

The duo looks as confused as I do, but they shrug and nod, reaching up and adjusting a dial on their headphones before smirking and bouncing in place.

“Let’s give it a shot then, why don’t we?” Zee says, pumping their fist as Minhocão approaches with steady steps.

Our serpent flies off, weaving a dark cloud in her hands before pointing her palms at the knight and launching a bolt of lightning at him! The speed of her attack takes him slightly off guard, but he’s still able to pull his shield up.

“Old tricks, Niamh! Show me MORE!”

With his attention off of us, the three of us move to the side, putting some distance between us and our foe. We high-five before speeding back towards Minhocão, fists pulled back as the chugging of a train follows our attack, the image of a windy train before us blowing its horn as the knight turns to us. Just before impact, everything goes white, and I swear the strumming in my heart sounds a bit more electronic…

32