Chapter 46 – Snowfall
421 0 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cat

 

It’s so...hectic! So very very, really very hectic! Life had already gotten so jumbled up after moving from Dingeton to Monorise, especially on top of mom...leaving, but as soon as Fox threw themselves into the mix, it feels like this person has been dragging me by the hand the entire way! Literally at times, like now, as I find myself being pulled up flight after flight of stairs while the voices of the people in the lobby echo ever quieter behind us. Something about our messy boots. 

Fox couldn’t give a rat’s tail about them, dashing through the apartment’s silent corridors and stairwells. At least, silent until my friend’s furious stomping crashes through them, my own frantic pace trying to keep up with them being not far behind. We’re even still in our coats and snow pants! It’s especially chilly out today, yet this workout has me pooling into a fine white paste in my boots. Couldn’t they have stopped for a sec so we could change out of these? 

Of course, I can never ask that much around Fox. As soon as an idea enters their head, they act on it, no matter how stupid. In fact, I’m pretty sure the dumber the idea, the quicker they are to make it a reality! I can’t believe I let myself get pulled into the storm that is this kid, like a bug to a tornado, this force of nature is something I could never hope to fight against. And yet…

Reaching the peak of this blazing coaster up the apartment building, like an inchworm that just conquered Everest, sudden relief, even excitement washes over me as I remember just why I never fight that hard against the storm. Fox throws open the door to the roof, or rather, they try to, huffing and puffing and giving it a few good shoves until the snow built up in front of it gives way, laying bare the sight of the snow laden city before us. Thankfully, my friend’s struggle with the entrance at least gives me time to almost catch my breath, as no more than a second after, my hand is stolen once more and I’m pulled out into the cold.

“H-hey, if you wanna to do something after school, we really coulda just gone to my place, instead of, y’know, freezing our butts off out here?”

I manage to close the door behind me as my gaze is thrust into the winter wonderland before us, gentle flurries of snowflakes and cold winds brushing by and capturing the entire city in a softness I’d never expected from Monorise. All of the roofs and windowsills blanketed with winter’s white, the streets and sidewalks below swept and salted like a dark, mysterious ocean. It’s a sight to behold… S-still, it’s cold! The rational side of my brain continues to struggle against Fox’s force of nature, pushing back against the idea that all of these excursions to whimsical and wonderful places of solitude are a good idea in the slightest.

The dumb part of me sees their smile.

“We can visit your dad anytime, but this?” they say, gesturing dramatically towards the cityscape before us. “This only comes around a fourth of the year! Besides, we’re Fox and Cat, where better to be than outside?”

“Actually, cats are supposed to be kept inside…” I mumble into my scarf, finding a bench near the fenced edge of the roof. 

Even considering how much it has snowed lately, this thing is all but completely buried in it. I can’t imagine many people come up here, especially at this time of the year, but I begin shoveling the snow off of it anyways for me, Fox, and whoever comes here next.

“What, are you gonna lay down and sleep on it or something?” my friend chuckles at me, taking a seat as I do and scooting close.

“I might just after that marathon you made me run… I’ll take a catnap and leave you here to think about how tired you made me.”

Their snarky bravado immediately fades as I begin to lean to the side away from them, Fox whining and throwing their arms around me to reel me back in.

“Noooo! Don’t leave meeee!”

It’s obvious by the tone of their voice that they’re trying to play it off as a joke, but I can almost feel them actually worry about my joke underneath that, a certain sincerity peeking out from behind their voice.

“Alright, alright, quit bein’ a big baby!” I joke, throwing myself back towards them before trying to pry them off of me. “Now get off of me, or I’ll, uhh...steal your scarf!”

They’ve always been pretty clingy with me, even in public, which has drawn some...unwanted attention, and yet they continue to be their usual foxy self, whether seen or unseen.

“What? We’ve got to share warmth, it’s cold out here!”

“...You know that doesn’t actually work unless our skin is touching.”

“Then I’ll keep your face warm!”

H-huh?!

 

Before I have a chance to react, Fox pulls me even closer and presses their cheek up against mine, and from that alone, my face is burning hot and blushing furiously. Wh-what is this kid thinking?! I mean… It makes me feel weird. I always avoid being touched as much as possible, I’m sensitive to that kind of thing after all! And yet, here and now, it feels different from what I usually feel. It’s this weird, gross, tense feeling in my chest, something so alien and...warm. And nice. And I don’t know how to process it.

“H-hey, stop that!” I shout, pushing Fox away from my face, though not enough to break free from their arms. 

They simply...tilt their head at me though. “What now? Weren’t you just complaining about the cold a second ago?”

“Well, duh! B-but if you keep doing stuff like this, people are gonna start sayin’ stuff about us…”

Still, they appear confused, like a dog hearing a whistle for the first time.

“So what? They can say whatever they want, I don’t care!”

“No! No, like...you know...it’s weird to be this close when we’re both...uhm…”

“In the same class?”

“Fox, you idiot, no! We’re both...boys…

That last word doesn’t quite feel right coming out of my mouth, even more so looking into Fox’s eyes. They continue to surprise me with just how dumb they are, looking even more confused than before!

“What are you talking about? I’m a fox, and you’re a cat! And we’re sharing warmth in the winter!”

You’re dumber than even I could have expected, is what that smart half of me wants to say. The other half, though…

“...Fine. We’re not boys, we’re a fox and a cat, fruitlessly hugging despite not actually being able to share warmth.”

Fox practically throws themselves at me with what little distance is between us, holding me even tighter with a big grin on their face. I swear I can even see the tail they don’t have wagging a mile a minute.

“That’s the spirit! Just two animals, huddling for warmth in the gentle city snow…”

They finally pull away and look back and forth between me and the view before us, a shine in their eyes the same as I first met them, having never died out for a second.

“Sounds pretty cool, eh?”

“Maybe to my grandma.”

A pouting face is all I see as I turn back to look at them. Jeez, they try so hard to be cool, but it’s gone with the wind once you so much as breathe on their act. It is really endearing though…

“...Fine, fine, it’s cool, alright? You’re cool. So stop making that face, cool people don’t do that.”

Immediately that frown gets turned upside down, Fox finally releasing me from their arms to more comfortably lean against me. It’s so weird how this person can be so talkative, so full of energy all the time, but as soon as we sit down like this, you won’t hear a word from them ‘til we’ve had enough quiet. It makes me think about how I used to find secluded places to get away from everyone and everything except my own thoughts, feeling so detached and distant from the world around me. Yet the moment I let this storm tear through my life, those times alone changed from dark and gloomy to bright and sunny. They’ll drag me off to some weirdly interesting place that feels separate from everything, and we’ll just sit there, wherever it is, close like this, quietly thinking to ourselves. I do wonder what a person like Fox thinks about in times like these. Surely not a warmth in their chest, a calm yet ever present flutter in their heart, a pang of fear that’s quashed by a brilliant light. Definitely not.

But I do.

The last few minutes play back in my head again and again. The wonder upon seeing the sights. Fox’s smile seeing that wonder on my face. Being held close. Our cheeks meeting for a moment that felt like an eternity. Realizing we’re not boys, but…

Wait, what?

No no no, something’s not right about that. I didn’t realize anything, I was just playing along with Fox’s silliness, right? Of course I’m a boy, what else could I be? I think that to myself, but those words feel disgusting to me, like they’re fighting the fluttery feeling that came with this “realization.” This fluttering in my gut, a bit different from the kind Fox gives me, yet both those feelings work together to fight back against the gross thoughts. If they’re a fox, I can be a cat, right? Or at least...not a boy, maybe...

 

“...Is it really okay for me to be a cat? At least around you?”

As they always do, Fox looks up at me with that infectious smile in response.

“Well, duh, we chose these names cuz it felt right, right? Being a fox feels right to me. Being Fox feels right to me! So if it feels right to you, then I’ll support you being that, always!”

“Always, huh…”

At least around Fox, I can be Cat.

 

Boom. My eyes shoot open as I feel the remnants of flutters in my chest from my dream. God, that was a dream?! It felt so vivid, like I was really reliving that moment from so long ago. Didn’t Fox mention something similar happening to her before this all began? I can only hope that’s a sign of good things to come. Maybe Yombroila will finally come back. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t miss her for her charming personality, but the week we did know each other felt like it at least had some kind of rhythm to it thanks to her guidance, cold as it was at times. Now, it feels like I’m marching to a song with no beat to follow. Life did change for the better as Dingeton slowly found its footing as Aspen Town, but between Fox, Yombroila, and the neighboring city looming over us, I can’t help but feel uneasy.

Still, life goes on despite that, so I have to as well. I throw the covers off to see my partner gone, probably getting an early start to the day. Ever since I found her back in Yombroila’s forest about a month ago, she only ever seems to march to her own tune. Honestly, I think that’s a good thing, even if others can’t appreciate it yet, it feels like she’s found herself, in a way.

Once dressed and out of bed, the kitchen calls to me, crying out for me to start the day proper. I haven’t really felt the need to make anything too fancy lately, especially not for breakfast, but a bowl of cereal isn’t a bad thing by any means. I prepare one for each of us, leaving Fox’s on the table for her to return home to. At least we know human food still works for her.

Once finished, and with the kitchen cleaned up, I glance out the window and find the same winter hellscape as the previous day. I’m exaggerating, of course, I’m just much more of a summer person. At least we have a house that can actually withstand the seasons now. Grabbing my fishing rod, basket, and chair, I toss on my coat, because fire powers or not, cold is cold, and winter has me feeling lethargic all the same.

Shoving open the front door, I’m greeted by the sight of the frozen lake and a snowy shore just before it. Despite all my worries, at least I can be sure that we’ve got a home now, and a damn good one at that. Walking out towards the icy horizon feels nice when I can look back and see it standing proud just shy of the shore itself.

I soon find myself a good ways away from home, standing out on the sturdy ice atop the lake, having found a nice spot to get to work. With a heated claw out, I cut a decently sized hole in the ice and take a seat next to it on my chair, putting bait to hook before dipping it into the water. Yes, ha ha, the catgirl is fishing, funny joke. Regardless of how fitting that is, I live closer to the lake than anyone else in Aspen Town and Fox can’t exactly go fish herself at the moment. So that leaves it to me to supply the town with fish, dropping the little ones back and drooling over the big catches. I’d be lying if I said I don’t enjoy this, my other mom used to take me fishing here all the time before, well, she couldn’t any more, and it’s nice to relive the moments we shared, even under such a different context.

Morning passes and the afternoon comes, my basket completely stuffed with my spoils. I’d say that’s good enough for today. The sound of me stretching fills the lonely air before I begin to fold my chair up and begin making my way back home. A smile reaches across my face as I see the empty bowl atop the table, stowing my equipment away so I can tend to the once again messy kitchen. I’m glad she enjoyed it at least. With that done, it’s through the woods and off to town. Along the way, I see small pawprints littering the snow, letting me know that Fox is ever about. She seems to find ways to entertain herself while I’m busy, which I’m happy for, though, it makes me ever more eager to see her again, probably by sunset, moonrise at the latest.

The tranquility of not just our little home, but the entirety of Aspen Town has been a welcome change of pace from the uncaring hustle and bustle of Monorise or the...well, I remember the last few nights of Railsent well enough to not want to think about it too much. It’s nice being able to enjoy a long walk through the woods, to exit that brush and find yourself in a place welcoming you with open arms. It’s been wonderful seeing everybody adjust to their new home, more folks interested in walking about and meeting other Ascended folk, or folks who came with their Ascended friends. Some keep to themselves, and I can respect that, I tend to do much the same a lot of the time, but the warmth of this town shining through the icy cold of winter draws me in every now and then.

It’s a nice place to just be, the floral structures still as vibrant as ever while coated in snow and frost, the streets and sidewalks are kept clean, but a thin layer of snow being all that ever manages to stay atop it all. People sit atop the roofs, stare out their windows, walk together, all carrying the merry cheer you’d hope to expect from this season, even if no one has really found the time to decorate yet.

 

“YoooooooOOOOOO KITTY!!”

Speaking of merry cheer, here comes a bundle of it wrapped in circuits and scraps. Not literally, for now anyways. In comes Sue-Zee, skating...on the snow with their rollerblades just as easily as they would concrete. They told me they’d augmented them in some way to allow that, but I doubt any further explanation they could offer would sound any more believable than if it were to come from me. Regardless of the plausibility of their mode of travel, a tackle hug is inbound no matter what, throwing me back onto stumbling feet as they always do.

“G-guh-- G’morning, you two. Hard at work or hardly working?”

Their giggling fills the air as I bring my arms around them and spin them about. They’ve definitely been a lot more affectionate lately, and I’d be hard pressed to not return the favour, even if I’m still not exactly sure where they stand on me and Fox.

“You know we can handle a little of both! Maybe even a lot of both! At the same time, I’ll bet!”

“As a cautious woman, I’ll have to decline any bets offered by a twin twister like you,” I joke, even though that’s probably some sound advice. You’d have to be mad to put money against Sue-Zee. “Who do I look like to you? Fox?”

Putting them both down and I ruffle their hair from under their hat, which itself is under a toque. The navigators are extra bundled up, even trapping themselves in a big pillowy coat. They chuckle and give my arm a weightless punch, looking at me with a grin that seems to falter somewhat.

“Speaking of, is…erm, how is she doing, anyways?” they ask, looking around us and appearing very suspicious in the process.

“She’s doing well. We’ve kind of fallen into routine by this point, and she seems happy with herself.”

“Good! That’s good! I’ll try ‘n visit sometime, it’s lonely when the whole gang’s not together.”

A solemn nod is shared between us. We didn’t get to spend much time as a gang before all this happened, but the moments we did share stick in my mind like a fly to honey, blissfully drowning away in the sweetness bound to consume them from the world around. Dang, Cat, that’s kind of dark, maybe I really do need a refresher on what it was like being together.

“Heh. Maybe I’ll try calling up Niamh, too. Heist gang, reunited.”

As sarcastic as my voice rings, the undying fire in Sue-Zee’s eyes rages hotter than ever, and I swear I can feel the tips of my fur searing.

“YES!! Yes yes yes, can we do that?! Please?! We’ve gotta get the gang back together!!”

Ugh. Much as I loathe the idea of voluntarily inviting Niamh back, the duo’s bright-as-the-sun-going-supernova enthusiasm is just too infectious.

“Alright, alright, but you better help to keep the serpent under control. Anyways, I’ve got a delivery to make, but we’ll make plans later, I promise.”

“Oh! Of course, yeah yeah yeah, don’t let us keep you and the fish waiting!”

And we stand there. Like a pair of rubber ducks on a store shelf, we stare at each other in stillness and silence, waiting for some cosmic force to take either of us away. I don’t think either of us really want to leave the other, but we do have lives to live, as nice as a bit of time together would be.

“Uhm… Okay, we’ll be off then,” they finally say, breaking this awkward hesitation and beginning to turn away, only to stop and turn their head back to me.

“Actually… I… We wanted to ask if, maybe… I dunno, maybe we could catch some lunch sometime? Just you and us. I-if you’re comfortable with that.”

“Hmm? Sure! I could never turn down time with y’all, let alone with the promise of food. Tomorrow, maybe?”

“Mhm! Over at Jasper’s?”

A catty grin stretches across my face as I begin to walk, patting Sue-Zee on the back before getting ahead of them.

“You betcha, pals. See ya then.”

I don’t hear a goodbye, but I can definitely feel the energy of Sue’s restrained wave building into Zee’s powerful arm flailing. With a basket of fish in hand, I make my way down to the Aspen Town market.

 

You’d never catch me selling a damn thing in your life, I try to avoid contact with other people as much as possible as is, and retail is neither my style nor am I suited for it. Thus, I hand off the fish to others who are built differently, though, I’ve gotta keep some for myself. Life has felt so much more fulfilling once fish was reintroduced as a staple of my diet…

Once all my deliveries are made, I spend some time simply perusing the wares of various vendors, seeing if anything new or previously unnoticed catches my eye. Along the way, I pick up lunch, and something I can put in my bag for later, but my eyes are mainly drawn towards all of the art being sold. There are a LOT of artists in this town, there’s even been a few bulletin boards installed in the center of town where you can list your profession in case the market place isn’t for you. I’ve been tempted to approach someone about art lessons, but the time has never felt right, so, as usual, I keep to myself.

“Eyyy, ‘sup Cat!”

Or, at least, I try to.

Hi, Jam…”

Enter local genderfluid octopus and resident lazy punk ass bitch: Jam. An odd looking fellow, their head taking the shape of the previously mentioned cephalopod, only put on backwards, a smug face on the back of that octopus’ head. Meanwhile, in the back that looks like the front, their tentacles curl and flow, mimicking the movement of hair, something which seems to be unconscious despite the fact that they can control them freely. They tend to move them to be styled however they feel like presenting at the time, and considering the way it moves behind them, long and flowing, on top of the skirt below their coat, I think it’s safe to assume she’s feeling femme today. Then again, she wears the skirt regardless of how she’s presenting, which, y’know, more power to her, she rocks it, all of it complimenting the blue rings scattered about her body.

Despite her fashionability, she remains a pain in the ass no matter how good she looks while doing it.

“You look like a loser just wandering around here, fish finder.”

Smugly grinning asshole. Hands in their pockets, leaning forward like a punk looking mother fucker.

“Y’know, folks who aren’t assholes tend to keep those kinda things to themselves.”

“Eyy, I’m just messin’ with ya, kitsy cat,” she says, though she speaks with such an inherently snarky cadence that everything she says sounds like she’s got a pack of bullies about to round the corner and reenact some horrifying childhood memories. 

The smarmy octo slinks around to my side and pats my back, ignoring my eye roll as I begin walking faster.

“C’mon, don’t be a sour puss!”

“Thin ice, Jam.”

“Alright, alright,” she starts, holding her hands up like she just got caught committing murder in an alleyway, and by that, I mean very nonchalantly, because I’m pretty sure that’s just how she works. “Look, I know you like being left alone and all that--”

“You’re making a bad case for yourself.”

“--But I’d really just like to know you better! You seem like a cool ca...”

The glare I give her would have shot holes through her if I was in any fouler of a mood.

“...Cool lady. You’re a cool lady! Sue-Zee talks about you all the time, it feels like I’m missing out!”

Oh, right. That’s another thing about her. She’s pretty good friends with Sue-Zee, though, I’m not entirely sure on whether they had any kind of prior relationship before Aspen Town, or if Jam just wormed her wormy, writhing, wriggling way into their lives just as she’s trying with mine. Either way, they get along pretty well, surprisingly enough, though it’s the same kind of surprise as finding that that expired meal in the back of the fridge could, indeed, become more expired than it was weeks ago. Compliments to the chef, but I think it’s alive, and trying to befriend me.

“Jam,” I begin, groaning out her name like I just tried to take a bite out of said meal, “I’m glad you and Sue-Zee are getting along, but I really don’t think we’d mesh well. So if you’d please, I’d like to spend the rest of the day not meshing with you.”

“Aww, c’mon! Don’t knock me before you try me!”

“When you put it like that, I think I might have a seafood allergy.”

She seems amused by that at least, but not enough to satisfy her bottomless appetite for frustrating me.

“Then appreciate the craftsmanship of the chef! I don’t bite, promise!”

The venomous edge to her cheshire grin would have me doubt that last statement. Books of my childhood resurface in my mind to guide me even now, as I recall the only slightly traumatizing tales of the World’s Most Dangerous Animals, because it taught me one thing I’ll never forget: A blue-ringed octopus is the LAST thing you EVER want to be bit by.

“I didn’t order this.”

“Look at meeeee!”

Try as she might, she cannot sway me, figuratively or literally, as she appears to be trying to do with her pitiful little cephalopod arms.

“I’m gonna throw you back to Monorise if you keep this up.”

Thankfully, my strength is known around town, both for where it’s needed, and for being something you never want to be on the receiving end of. Once again, the octopus puts their hands up and lets go of me.

“Fine, fine. I’ve got art lessons to teach tonight, and bigger fish to fry, and you’re already looking pretty burnt as is.”

“If you want to tell me I look like shit, you can just say that.”

“You look like shit.”

A single shove is all it takes to send ‘em careening into a nearby snowbank. Good riddance. Am I a bit hard on her? Yeah, but I’m a) not in the mood, and b) tired enough of her antics. She’s known around town for causing mischief and the like and I don’t want any part of that. It’s a wonder Sue puts up with her at all, but then again, they have to live with Zee, so they’re probably used to it by now anyways. At least Zee’s troublemaking is usually well intentioned.

 

With my remaining energy spent frying an octopus, or rather, on the octopus trying to fry me, I decide to head indoors, making my way for Reed’s place. After the fight with Metatron, they got surprisingly excited and began setting up their smithy as quick as they could, only to realize that all the fighting was over by that point. That made them pretty depressed. With the help of some new friends, however, they ended up turning what they had into a bar and grill, so they’re a little less depressed than before.

Welcome… Oh. It’s you.”

Only a little though.

Entering the cozy place, constantly lit by the tempered flames of the many furnaces abound, I’m offered a warm welcome from the ant behind the bar, though warm only in the literal sense.

“Hey Reed. The usual.”

“The usual is not an item on the menu.”

Milkshake.

Without even an ounce of pleasure from their victory over me, the ant groans and begins walking towards the back, one pair of arms still cleaning a very clearly already clean glass. I think they like the bartender aesthetic more than they let on. I’d probably be banned from this place for bringing that up, though. Reed’s got no patience for hecklers and jokesters.

With my coat hung up by the entrance, I finally take a seat after a decent day of work and walking, finding myself next to Bomba, reading one of her many books as usual. She’s probably the only person Reed actually gets along with, though, silently tolerating one another is about the best anyone can get with the ant. Still, Bomba seems to appreciate the quiet, and I think Reed does too. Maybe there’s something between Weapons Masters and Weapon Smiths that I just don’t get, but hey, if it works for them, who am I to judge?

Reed returns after some time, cleaning a new glass in one pair of arms and shaking my shake in the other, about to slam it down before shifting their gaze to the peacefully reading Bomba, at which point they sigh, gently placing the glass on the counter and sliding it over to me.

“You look like shit.”

“I’ve heard that enough today to believe it.”

I chug half my milkshake before leaning forward and resting my arms and head on the bar, probably only enhancing my looking-like-shit-ness. Reed looks like they’re about to say something very witty and very snarky, but stops as another customer enters, the ant then shaking their head and getting back to work.

“Somehow I knew I’d find you here, kitten.”

Ahh. So that’s why.

“Finally realized I’m an alcoholic, huh mom?”

That gets a giggle out of her, the bunny taking a seat next to me and gently resting her hand on my shoulder, rubbing it comfortingly.

“Oh, trust me, the only way alcohol is getting in your system is around some good friends. I could tell the moment you tried an itty bitty sip all those years ago, after you tried eating soap to make the taste go away!”

Mooooom…

I turn my head and shove it into my arms, hiding in shame.

“Come now, I’m just teasing. What’s on your mind, sweetie?”

She knows what’s on my mind at this point, it’s more of a formality of her to ask before I start venting again.

“The usual.”

“The usual is not an item on the menu.”

“Shut up, Reed!”

The ant snorts, the plant turns a page, and I take a sip from my drink. But my mom just sighs.

“They’ve got the right of it though. Even if it’s the same as always, it’s good to get it off your chest.”

“...”

I stare down into the swirly depths of my shake, sliding it between my paws like I were batting a cat toy back and forth.

“...It’s about Fox, isn’t it?”

Well, she’s right. Just not in the way she thinks.

“I’ve said it once, twice, again and again, but you two are inseparable. I’m sure she’ll show up eventually!”

“Y-yeah…”

It’s better that she doesn’t know.

“It’s also Monorise, though.”

Mom tenses up a bit more at the mention of that.

“I wish there was something we could do. Something to make it safe for Ascended to live and just exist within the city. Something to ensure people from the outside don’t come in looking to take this all away from us. Someone we could talk to who could help us with all that…”

“...I understand, kitten. I just worry about you. I don’t want you throwing yourself into danger and getting hurt when we don’t know exactly what we’re doing.”

I can’t help but smile at that.

“That’s exactly what Fox would do in this situation.”

“Well, sure, and she’s gotten her serving of licks because of it!”

“She always made it work though. No matter how stupid of an idea it was, she’d find a way to make it work. Most of the time.”

“But you’re not Fox, dear… Please, don’t do anything to make me worry any more than I already do…”

My eyes continue to gaze a hole through my glass for a moment that stretches out. I’m not Fox...but I’ve always been by Fox’s side, through each and every dumb idea. Turning my head towards the bar’s window, I gaze at the looming city in the distance, the sky ablaze in sunset only making its dark figure more menacing.

Maybe something reckless is in order. Maybe I just need to punch that boogeyman in the face. Or maybe I’m just kidding myself.

“...You’re right. Sorry, mom, you know I’ll take care of myself. I’m sure things will work out in the end.”

The bunny smiles at me before pulling me into a hug that’s just a little bit too long.

“M-mom…”

“Sorry, sorry,” she says as she releases me, “I just want the best life for my daughter. So if I can help you along the way to that, I’m going to do my best.”

“Thanks, mom.”

I gaze out the window again, then turning back to my shake and chugging the rest of it before standing up.

“It’s getting pretty late. Best I get back home soon.”

“Oh! You could always come to my house for the night, if you’d like!” my mom offers, smiling up at me. “It must get awfully lonely in that house all alone.”

“...I’ve got my reasons. Sorry, mom, I’ll take you up on that offer some other time.”

Her smile gets a bit sadder, but she nods anyways. “Take care of yourself, then. I love you, kitten.”

“Love you too, mom. Thanks for the drink, Reed.”

“Mm.”

With Reed’s enthusiastic farewell out of the way, I grab my coat and begin walking home.

 

It’s interesting seeing Aspen Town at this time of day. Most people are packing up for the day and heading back home for the night, while lots of nocturnal folk are just starting to wake up. I don’t get to see much of the town at night for that very reason though, not with how things are now.

Instead, I take another walk through the woods, back to my home by the shore. It feels a lot lonelier than the first time through when we returned to this place, but it’s a trek back home all the same, marching through the snow, knowing a warm bed awaits me at the end of the trail.

The sun’s just about done for the day as I get to the house, and I feel much the same. Can’t help but yawn as I open up the door and walk in, and immediately, the sound of excited scampering can be heard coming from my room. Oh, that girl.

As I close the door behind me and hang up my coat, a red blur scrambles out of the bedroom and leaps towards me, circling around my feet with all the happy little squeaks you could imagine. Once her excitement has died down somewhat, she sits down in front of me, and I lean down in tandem, petting the small red and orange fox and rubbing her cheeks and under her scarf with my paws.

“Yeup. I’m home. Good to see you, too, Fox. Oh, okay, okay, down girl! Yes, I love you too!”

So here's the first chapter of Act 2! It's been quite some time since we concluded Act 1, and though we don't think we're prepared for consistent uploads yet (writing flow is not coming nearly as easily as it did with Act 1 alas), we did want to keep everyone updated. We are still working on Ascension, we have 11 chapters completed thus far for Act 2, and we have most of the story planned out, though, if Act 1 is anything to go by, plans will probably change as the story and characters progress. It's like they've got a life of their own and they dictate the story more than we do! Anyways, we don't want to set a concrete date of resumption, but we hope we can double what we have by about the same time Ascension first started uploading last year in August. Once that time comes, we'll combine the interlude with chapter 46, and weekly updates will resume. Thank you all so much for your patience, and we hope you look forward to and enjoy the coming story!

24