Chapter 60 – What You’ve Been Missing
167 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Coyotl trails close behind me, seemingly worried they’ll get lost if not within tail’s reach of me.

“Come on, Coyo, you can’t be that bad with directions.”

They grimace and look down at the snow, shaking their head lightly. “I’ve gotten lost in my own house enough to know otherwise.”

Yikes. I give the poor chimera a pat on the shoulder and it doesn’t take much longer to put them at ease as we exit the forest and find ourselves back home. My steps are slow as I relish the fact I’m even back here after all that happened today, only to notice that the air is missing the sound of an additional pair of footsteps, looking back to see Coyotl marvelling at the scene before them. Hand on my hip, I give them a smile and motion for them to continue following along, the chimera snapping out of their awe and scampering along to my side.

“Quite the view, eh?”

“It…” Coyotl mumbles at first before clearing their throat and standing up straight, “It’s beautiful. I don’t remember ever seeing a view like this in Dingeton…”

My ears flick, and I cock an eyebrow at them.

“How old are you, Coyotl?”

The question catches them off guard and I raise my hands as though to soothe their worries.

“No need to get tense. I was born and raised in Dingeton, until I had to move to the city when my mom passed. I was just curious which Dingeton you remember.”

They seem to relax somewhat and nod, though their face still holds an expression of concern.

“25. I hadn’t spent much time here, perhaps the first four or five years of my life. My family has lived in the city for generations, however they were spending some time away from home when I was born.”

Coyotl slowly strides to my side, still looking out over the horizon before adding, “Perhaps they thought it was a better place for a child to grow up. I wish I’d had more time here, to truly grow up.”

It’s my turn to look concerned, patting them on the shoulder and gently pulling them towards me.

“The world’s a cruel place to kids. I can attest to that. Growing up an outsider, this nagging feeling of wrongness having to be a ‘boy’ around others...”

Coyo looks up at me, almost looking...remorseful. A smirk on my part lightens the mood just a bit, thankfully, the both of us looking back out to the lake and beyond.

“Ascending...and Aspen Town...It must have been a dream come true,” the chimera mumbles, to which I nod, feeling more as if it’s the wind gently moving my head back and forth with the serenity of the atmosphere.

“It’s had its ups and downs. Yombroila was not a pleasant person to start, I still don’t really like her,” I explain, bringing my hands up behind my head. “Her skeevy manipulation, Railsent’s reaction, Ares, the Inkton Witch, Fox getting turned into a marketable plushie, Ares, Niamh, the entire situation with Metatron, did I mention Ares?”

That actually manages to get a chuckle out of them, their tail flicking from side to side.

“I had heard he was quite...a dick.”

“The most magnum of dongs, I assure you.”

We laugh for a moment, settling down before I continue.

“But for each of those, there was so much more that made it worth going through it all. Obviously there was Ascending itself, but more than that, it opened the opportunity for so much growth and greatness. For me to come to terms with the fire in my heart. For Fox to come to terms with her identity. For the both of us to come to terms with each other. There was Sue and Zee. I found out I had two moms all along and got to reunite with the one still around. Hell, maybe meeting Niamh wasn’t so bad after all.”

There’s a second of silence before I realize I’d been rambling for a bit there and clear my throat.

“Point is, even if Yombroila fucked up, she gave us the power to take a hold of our lives. That’s why Aspen Town is here now.”

Coyotl nods, seemingly deep in thought.

“She was the catalyst for a great deal of change for the better, I see…”

With a deep breath, I pat Coyotl on the back and gesture towards the house.

“Speaking of change, let’s get you changed into something less destroyed, yeah?”

Rattled out of thought, they nod and follow me as I open the door and step inside.

 

“It’s not the Inkton Manor, but it’s a cozy little place, so make yourself at holy shit goddammit.”

Coyotl gives me a confused tilt of the head before looking past me and seeing what exactly it is that has me so distraught.

“Is...is that…”

“Yeah. Yeah Coyo, it is.”

To our left, we find Niamh, sprawled out over the couch in the living area as the TV sits idly with a text box asking if she’s still watching. The scaly slob is a mess of tail and tired, her back arched over one armrest and her lower snake half draped over the other.

“...Yeah, make yourself at home. Just not that at home.”

I usher Coyotl further into the house and past the snake as Fox nudges Niamh with her nose and a bit of dangerous curiosity, but it seems as though this lady is one heavy sleeper. Maybe last night was a bit much for her…

Closing the door behind us once Fox has joined us, I bring Coyotl over to my side of the bed and tug open my drawer, throwing my hands out to emphasize my wealth of stolen goodies.

“A lot of this was picked out before my ascension so most of it is probably gonna be a bit awkward of a fit, but there is some baggier stuff in there. Y’know, for those dysphoric days.”

This explanation is given as I sort through some of my clothes, only to look up and find Coyotl standing there looking incredibly nervous.

“Somethin’ wrong, Coyo?”

Unsure of what to do with their hands, they rub them together in silence for a moment.

“I, uhh...I have not been in another person’s room before. I feel quite...out of place.”

Ahh, so that’s it huh.

“I also, uhm…” they start again, hesitating and taking a deep breath before exhaling out the rest of the words. “I don’t know what dysphoria feels like…!”

Oh. Oh this poor thing.

“Aw, Coyo...don’t tell me that’s why you feel you don’t belong here…”

I take to their side and get them to sit on the edge of the bed with me, Fox hopping up and taking my other side with her head in my lap to be petted.

“It’s...part of the reason. How can I truly belong among those who have endured so much suffering, when I have experienced none of it…?”

My hand finds its way onto Coyotl’s thigh as I shake my head.

“You know not every trans or nonbinary person experiences dysphoria, right?”

The befuddled expression they turn to look at me with tells me I have a bit more explaining to do.

“Like, gender dysphoria can be a part of someone’s trans experience, ‘cuz their body conflicts with their identity. But it’s not like being trans or nonbinary requires filling out some sort of checklist.”

I turn my body to face them more directly, bringing my paw up to their shoulder and holding it firmly.

“If you’re not cis, you’re not cis. You get the final say in that, because it’s your identity! Everyone’s experiences are gonna be different, so you’re the only one that gets to put a label on it.”

The idea tumbles around their head from the looks of it, the glowing eyes behind the shadow of their hood scrunching up in deep thought before finally closing with a sigh.

“It’s just that easy?” they mumble, sounding extra staticy.

“It’s as easy as you feel it is. Sometimes it’s not, like in Fox’s case,” I explain, ruffling the fur atop my partner’s head as she squeaks happily. “But you make it through in the end. Give yourself all the time you need. All of Aspen Town will be waiting with open arms once you’re ready.”

They give me a nod before I hold up a finger.

“Except Reed. Don’t worry about Reed, though.”

A small amused breath escapes Coyotl.

“He sounds like a charming fellow.”

“They.”

“I-I apologize. They sound like a charming fellow.”

My response is a cheeky grin and a light chuckle to confirm their suspicions. With a pat on their back, I stand up and give my arms a stretch high into the air.

“Mmmmmya… Gender aside, how ‘bout we get you dolled up?”

 

It’s hard not to feel as though I’m being judged as the two of us wade through the clothes in my wardrobe. Whether it’s because of my very varied taste in clothes, or the sheer amount, I can’t tell, but whatever the case, it gets a giggle out of Fox whenever Coyotl gives me a bit of side-eye. It takes a bit of finagling until we find just the right fit for Coyotl after throwing enough over their tattered clothes. The chimera ends up with the odd mixture of a thigh length dress with a belt wrapped around the waist, cargo pants, and a sweater. 

Fox and I find ourselves being shooed out of our own room soon after, the two of us jumping as Coyotl slams the door behind us. Looking at one another, Fox snickers at my sigh before hopping up and forcing me to carry her in my arms as we wait. Now might be a good time to grab some grub, actually. I’m sure Coyotl’s just as hungry after the past few hours, especially since they were training with Bomba of all people beforehand.

Pulling Fox close into a hug, I let her rest her head on my shoulder as I wander over to the kitchenette and scour the drawers with one hand, finding some snacks and laying them out over the counter until a knock from my room pulls me back.

“Uhm...you...would not happen to have any bras as well, would you…? It would seem...my current one has become ill fitting after the transformation…”

A snicker escapes me, and I tell the chimera to check the bottom most drawer.

“You’re lucky this is all happening after we left Railsent,” I joke. “Ascension was real gracious in offering us support, but not in every way.”

“Y-you did all of that braless?!” Coyotl shrieks, reminding me we have someone here who would most likely not appreciate such noises. 

I peer back into the living space and see Niamh still sleeping soundly, thankfully being a much heavier sleeper than I’d imagined.

“Better than doing it all brainless.”

My additional jest, free of charge, goes unappreciated, evident by the sigh coming from the other side of the door. At the very least, it isn’t long before they’re out, looking spiffy, if a bit too close to what you’d imagine a brave, sword wielding hero to look like, if they were wearing baggy ass pants anyways.

“Not bad,” I say, smiling down at Coyo.

“Th-thank you,” they return, glancing away bashfully.

Being just about ready to get a move on, I slide past Coyotl and back into our room, digging into the depths of my nightstand drawer and pulling out a long forgotten relic of our past: My wallet. Just in case. Maybe all the underworld money post-Ascension will be put to use at last.

“Alright, let’s hit up Aspen Town’s tailors first.”

“First?”

Coyotl tilts their head at me, to which I shrug.

“If you don’t find anything or enough here that you like, I’d be happy to take you elsewhere.”

“Ah…”

I’m beginning to learn their reserved body language just a bit, enough to tell that they’re probably grateful for the opportunity, if embarrassed. So I give ‘em an elbow nudge and motion towards the door with my head. As we’re heading out, however, I notice Fox isn’t as close behind as she usually is, the critter currently waddling towards the living area.

“Fox? What’s up?”

The girl turns my way and smiles, her tail poking in the direction of Niamh before she hops up onto the couch with her, quickly regretting the hastiness of her actions as she finds herself soon bundled up in snake arms.

“Alright, hun. We won’t be long,” I giggle seeing the scene, Fox then pouting in response before waving her tail like it were a hand saying goodbye.

“Mhm. See ya soon. Love ya.”

Lovely lil’ fox. It’s an interesting and welcome turn of events to see her going from solely concerned with herself and me, to looking out for everyone around her. I can only hope I’m doing a good job offering her the same. For now, however, as I escort my new friend out the door, I gotta focus on making sure Coyotl knows I can look out for them as well.

 

Fox

 

I do feel bad watching Cat head out the door without me, especially with that person, but I think we need some time to ourselves, or at least, with someone who might be able to help us. I’m glad she has company, even if I don’t trust that company in the slightest.

Hey, come on, Shadow, I...I know she gives off bad vibes, but she’s just new is all, right?

A new kind of bad. Or maybe even the old kind of bad.

Sigh. Please, just...try not to be so aggressive around her. It’s as hard on me as it is you, you know?

...I’ll take that as a ‘fine’.

Regardless of how either of us feel about Coyotl, right now it seems like more of a pressing matter to figure out how we feel about each other. Right now, there’s a thick tension between the both of us, but I...I don’t really get it. I want what’s best for us, right? I don’t really know what to do about this unease, but it is a familiar one, one that leads me to believe this snake might just be able to help us again.

Eventually.

Once she wakes up.

Wake her up.

That would be rude. Plus, this is...kind of nice. I can already feel myself slipping back into plush mode, allowing Niamh to squeeze me tighter without any discomfort, as well as making my Shadow’s voice all the clearer. Plush time is a time of communion, after all.

Whatever…

I spend a fair bit of time stuck between Niamh’s powerful arms and even more powerful chest, taking the moment to relax, and maybe think a bit. There’s been a lot to think about in the past few hours alone. Most of it revolving around…

Me.

Right. Her. You. And me. Despite that being evident, I’m not even really sure where to start…

How about all the trouble it took for you to actually let me do anything.

Ah. Yeah. I mean...it’s my body, right? Obviously I’d be nervous about anybody taking over it.

It’s our body. I’m not some parasite, Fox.

Eugh. It’s a strange feeling, hearing a voice that is partly your own calling your own name, directed at yourself. Look, I know you’re not, like...that. Like an intruder, or anything. But I’m really new to all of this, and--

You need to trust me. You can’t keep seeing me as some kind of monster, I’ve been helping you this entire time, haven’t I?

Our thoughts halt for a moment, the each of us standing at a crossroad that neither can muster the strength to take the first step forward.

You haven’t always been helping me, you know.

I don’t know when you first kicked in, but that voice of yours spoke things to me. It did things to me, I can’t just--

THAT’S NOT ME!! I didn’t ASK to be made into a monster, YOU made me like this--

Before the internal shouting can continue, I feel ourselves being moved around, Niamh having rolled onto her back and now looking down at us. I can see her lips moving, yet not a sound makes a lick of sense to our ears. Beyond her snout, however, I notice how concerned her face looks, and only then do I realize I’ve been staring at her through tears, having been shaken out of my plush form.

The snake’s hand reaches up and begins stroking our head between the ears, many of my worries becoming eased as I melt into her. Sniffling and shivering, I let Niamh do as she pleases, her hands combing through our fur while her tail plays with the end of mine. More lip movement, then a tilt of her head. I suppose she’d like to know why I’m so upset, but that’s a bit difficult without me giving her a first hand look.

For a brief moment, my Shadow flickers over my form, Niamh reeling her head back a little in shock before looking concerned once more. She pulls me in and holds me close, and the comfort of being known, of this struggle being known, calms my mind somewhat. I’m not sure if she entirely gets what’s going on, but at the very least, it’s clear she cares and wants to help.

Time passes while I’m held and comforted, Niamh speaking something or another despite the fact that I can’t understand her, though, knowing her, she probably does this knowingly. At some point, she cuts herself off and pulls her phone out of her top, texting somebody that I don’t even bother to check knowing written words mean even less than spoken ones in this state. Soon enough, a jingle that I’m sure Sue-Zee or Cat would recognize vibrates out of the phone, prompting the snake to put it next to her...ear? Hole? Something like that.

Niamh shifts her position, sliding me down into her lap to sit up and kicks her tail up onto the coffee table, yapping away with whoever is on the other end of the line. A few dismissive hand motions make me believe she’s trying not to talk for too long, and that proves true as it isn’t much time before she returns the phone to where it once was and has her tail toss the TV remote to her hand. From the looks of it, she’s offering to put something on from the way she waggles the remote in the TV’s direction, and while I probably won’t be able to know most of what’s going on, I think we’ve earned ourselves a break. Getting comfy in Nimah’s lap, she resumes whatever it was she was watching before this, and I snuggle into the wing now covering us like a blanket.

I hate this movie, tell her to change it.

Sigh. Take the tail and do it yourself.

My Shadow crawls over our tail and forms a hand at the end, poking Niamh’s arm, then pointing to the screen before giving it a thumbs down. The serpent chuckles and begins looking for something that hopefully all of us can enjoy.

9