Chapter 69 – A Nice Trip Home
141 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hey y’aaaaaaall~!”

A friendly voice approaches from across the lobby of the Sunlit Bounty as we’re about to exit, their bubbly tone easily audible now that the cheering crowd is far below us. Turning around, I find its owner to be none other than Caramel, clad in a sparkly black dress. Following closely are both Legion and Minhocão, the latter of whom can finally stand straight, no longer confined to the much more limited height of the hallway.

“Well well well, if it ain’t the former champs. You really pulled a fast one on this place, huh?”

Caramel and Minhocão laugh, Legion glancing at them silently from the side.

“Ha ha! Oh, but how could we resist when coming together as such is such joy and splendor!”

Thinking back to how it felt to be Sol, I begrudgingly agree with the tin can giant man, though, that doesn’t exactly leave me any less confused as to why these three are all here together.

“Okay, so, Caramel--”

“Yes, ma’am!” she interrupts with that pretty little sing song voice of hers, smiling brightly, impervious to my stare.

“...Caramel, you and Legion are partners then, right?”

The deer woman looks back at the hulking space admiral who blushes blue and turns their head away before grumbling and signing to me.

“That is the simplest way of putting it.”

I am once again unfortunately reminded of Niamh, though I wouldn’t ever consider us partners, we have a...complicated relationship, to say the least.

“Theeeeen…?”

Turning my pointed paw from Legion to Minhocão, I tilt my head wordlessly, my question all too obvious.

“Yes, him too,” Caramel answers, trying to look as cute as she can with her hand in the other and her hips gently swaying from side to side, and goddammit it’s working. “He showed up after y’all left that one night to collect the ponpa, and we just kinda...hit it off, I guess!”

“Huh.”

Looking all three of them over, I can’t help but be in awe of how happy they all seem. Makes me want to try making something like that work myself, more than I had before.

“One hell of a power trouple you are. Anyways, didja need me for anything?”

“Haha! We could not ask you for anything more after giving us such a rousing spectacle!”

Heh. Well, it’s nice to not have to be pulled from another direction.

“In fact,” Caramel begins, reaching up and clinging to Minhocão’s arm, “Mino over here wanted to offer his support! Liege and I figured if there was anyone we could trust with explaining your whole deal to, it was big ol’ Mino over here!”

The dark knight stands tall and proud, hands on his hip as the deer hangs from his arm.

“Oh, thank the goddess. I wasn’t sure what exactly Caster could do to help the cause, but knowing you’re a part of the bundle is a load off my back in case things get ugly.”

“Nonsense! Nothing could possibly get ugly in the light of your radiant beauty! You shine like a Star, fair Cat!”

Smirking and sighing, I give the big lug a nod before nudging him playfully.

“No pressure, eh? Thanks, though. Hopefully there won’t be much more of this before everything can begin to settle down for real.”

That’s when Legion waves my attention back to them, signing “You have 3 of the 5 Subterfuge Heads on your side.”

They pause for a moment, grimacing as they glance over at the Rat Queen a little further off, waiting for us while scrolling through her phone.

“...If you can count the rat as truly being on our side. Nonetheless, you are over halfway done. If all goes according to plan, you should not need to fight for much longer.”

Finally, some good news. I smile at the alien and nod, feeling a bit more relaxed after hearing that.

“I’ll try not to call on you if I can help it...but I appreciate that you’re an option. Thanks.”

 

We all say our goodbyes and part ways afterwards. I meet up with Niamh and Fox just outside of the Sunlit Bounty, the two of them having already made themselves comfortable in the back of the rat’s crap cart with my partner sitting pretty in the snake’s lap.

“Ahh, there’s our beacon of sunshine~”

“Ahh. There’s my bothersome snakeskin.”

Niamh’s laugh fills the tunnel like a fanfare for me as I enter the cart to take a seat next to her, Coyotl picking a cart behind us rather than sitting next to the rat’s driver’s seat. Liz still seems rather irate as she starts up the vehicle, shifting the lever to make it face the other way with a bit too much force, then looking back at me and Niamh.

“If the broad can teleport, why ain’t she just vamoosin’ it back where she came from, eh?”

“And miss such a luxurious ride? I wouldn’t dare~”

The rat snarls, baring her fangs as her whiskers curl and twist with fury.

“Listen here, slut, this is my ride, and I get to decide who can and cain’t get their fat asses comfy in it, so if y’ain’t gotsa need for it, get OUT.”

As expected, the snake simply laughs, petting Fox the whole while.

“Unfortunately for me and you, it doesn’t work that way. Sussing out the specific point where one location in the Radiant World meets with the World of Shade is an entirely different beast then simply going between the two. Thankfully, Miss Kitten’s phone can call me straight to her~”

“Wait, it can?”

Niamh giggles and nods at me, Liz continuing to growl and do all she can to display her displeasure while getting this ride on the move.

“One of the wonderful little things about being a Radiant in the World of Shade,” the snake explains, “is that my kind is able to imbue power into the inanimate, so long as it is a creation of this world.”

“It is how most artifacts are created,” Coyotl adds, piping up suddenly as their favourite topic becomes relevant. “Something about the light of the Radiant world seeping into the edges of this world’s shadows. It is...a very metaphysical ordeal.”

“My my, you must have had to do some real digging to find those texts, dearie. Unless your curriculum had a sudden change of plans, that is.”

Coyo freezes up all of the sudden, their anxiety palpable from the way the glow of their face trembles.

“...Coyo? You okay?”

They remain silent for a moment until Niamh turns away, still smirking knowingly.

“Y-yes. Just a, a uhh, a moment lost in thought.”

“Darling, don’t be so tense, I won’t say a thing.”

Glancing between Niamh and Coyotl, I collect my thoughts and breathe them out into a sigh.

“Just when I thought putting things together would be easier. No one likes being up front with me, huh?”

“Was I not up your front enough but a couple nights ago, Miss Kitten~?”

“NIA.”

 

Once we’ve arrived at the start of Subterfuge and we’re relieved of the fuming rat’s presence, Niamh and I agree to meet back at home. The snake flies off with Fox in her arms, leaving me with Coyo once again. Just as my suspicions were beginning to subside, something new comes up to make me worry once again, and yet...I’m torn. Despite what may or may not be true about Coyotl...what I told them back in that locker room remains true.

“...Coyo.”

They jolt somewhat as we ride back to Aspen Town on the Wheels of Fortune, sitting behind them with my arms around their waist, having forgone the sidecar.

“Y-yes, Cat…?”

“...I want you to know that I trust you. In case I haven’t made that clear by now.”

There’s a moment of tension, but they do seem to relax after a moment, taking a deep breath and letting out a staticy sigh.

“...Is that truly the right thing to--”

“I’m choosing to,” I interrupt, leaning against them a bit more. “I’m choosing to, whether it’s the right or wrong thing to do, okay?”

“...I...I see.”

As we approach Aspen Town, Coyotl takes the remaining distance to collect themselves, answering a little bit before we find ourselves at our destination.

“Why do you bring this up now?”

“Because I want you to trust me.”

The chimera takes a more laboured breath before replying, slowing down the ride at the same time.

“I trust you as one who will always do the right thing.”

I close my eyes with a furrowed brow, reaching up to the handles of the bike and putting pressure over the clutch, Coyo taking the cue and bringing the ride to a stop early, Aspen Town now in walking distance.

“Coyo…” I mutter, stepping off the bike and in front of the chimera, putting a paw on their shoulder and looking at their eyes as sincerely as I can.

“Trust me as a friend. Trust me as someone who will do right by you, someone who won’t do you wrong.”

As their eyes shut, the bike crumbles, the Wheels of Fortune returning to Coyotl’s claws to be put back into their cloak. Another deep breath, a pause, then finally, a nod.

“I...I am trying. Even if I…”

They open their eyes, seeing my face and rethinking their words.

“...Despite whether I deserve to or not.”

“Atta girl,” I say, squeezing their shoulder then patting it, smiling at the conflicted chimera. “Now, can you promise me something?”

Already, they waver in their conviction again, though, they seem a bit more able to withstand their fear and doubt.

“...Yes. Yes, I should, so I will.”

Nodding and pulling them in, I do my best to keep them comfortable for what I’m about to ask.

“Tomorrow...tell me everything.”

I feel the tension in them return somewhat, though it’s as though it’s combating with confusion inside of Coyotl.

“Everything…?”

Another nod.

“Everything. I know I don’t have the whole story...and that you probably have a reason to not want others to know. But if we’re gonna make this work, I have to know. And I’ll promise you I won’t be mad. I promise.”

“Y-you can’t promise that.”

“Whether I can or can’t,” I cut in quickly, “I’m gonna. Just like you feel that you can’t talk about whatever it is that’s actually going on under that cloak of yours.”

Their words pause, but their claws come up to my arms once more, holding onto them as though they might collapse otherwise.

“Tomorrow…?”

“Tomorrow night.”

“...”

Another pause. I give them all the time they need, steeling myself as well for what’s to come, what I’m setting myself up for.

“...Okay. But if I find I cannot when the time comes--”

“All I’m asking is that you try. That’s all I can ask for.”

Finally, without even a moment to think any further, they nod, this time pulling me in themselves to hug. I make sure to give them a good one in return.

 

We walk the rest of the way home, stopping by Jasper’s to rest our legs and get something inside our bellies after all the ass kicking in the stadium. Even as I’m offered a moment’s respite, I can’t help but be struck with worry still, my gaze pointed back home where Niamh and Fox await.

“You seem perturbed, Cat.”

For once, it’s Coyo checking in on me, bringing my attention back to reality and smiling sheepishly at them.

“Ah, it’s just Fox. I’m sure you’ve noticed there’s a lot going on with her.”

They nod, sipping from their hot chocolate.

“The shadow, correct?”

“Mm.  Her Shadow. That’s what Niamh is trying to help with right now.”

Coyotl puts down their mug and puts their claw to their chin, deep in thought as evident by the scrunched up expression on their face.

“As much as I would rather avoid the place, that may be a good reason to check the Inkton Manor again, perhaps there is an artifact or tomb that could help to fend off the darkness, maybe even return her to normal. I may even be able to help with the Amazing Mirror...”

I hum and chew, thinking about both the proposition and the taste of my sandwich.

“Somehow, I’m pretty sure getting Fox back to her previous state is something she’ll have to do internally. Kinda like how I found my spear. Besides, that’s not the only thing I’m worried about…”

“Hmm? What else is on your mind?”

“...It’s what happens before we sort things out.”

My friend tilts their head at me, prompting me to elaborate.

“Y’see, for the past few nights, I’ve been having these...nightmares. Though, they’re not really nightmares, they’re far too real. It’s almost like, when I fall asleep, I...enter Fox’s headspace. And I come face to face with her Shadow...someone who appears to utterly detest me.”

“Into her headspace?”

Nodding, I wonder what idea I just put into Coyotl’s head before they formulate a way to explain it to me.

“...Do you recall the stone you and Fox stole? The one which set the goddess free.”

Ough. Now THAT takes me back. Fox was the one handling it most of the time, but I do know what they’re talking about.

“Yeah, I’m pretty sure it’s in one of the drawers in my bedroom. Figured it was important, so we keep it far away and out of sight. What about it?”

“Well, you see, it was my first point of interest in learning why I became...this,” they said, gesturing to themselves as a whole. “And reading up on it, I found that it is not something which seals things and people away. Rather, it is the Gate Stone, an artifact which acts as a gateway between metaphysical realms. Long ago, the Inktons called upon Janus to trick Broila into a position where they could use the Gate Stone to transfer her into a pocket dimension within the stone arch you saw back then, thus--”

“Whooaaaa whoa whoa whoa whoa wait a second, hold on there bucko,” I interrupt, waving my paws as an indication to pause the explanation for a second. “I haven’t had this much exposition dumped on me in a while. Janus? Broila? Do I even need to know all of this?”

Coyotl seems to deflate a little, prompting me to shake my head.

“Sorry, sorry. I’m guessing you were just trying to explain that the stone is acting up, thus allowing me to go into Fox’s dream.”

“That is correct. I apologize for rambling so…”

“Hey hey hey! No need to apologize, I’m thankful you know so much. I guess I could ask someone to take it off my paws so I don’t have to deal with her Shadow, but...I’d also rather not leave Fox alone in there with her.”

The chimera takes a moment to compose themselves once more, and another sip of their drink as well.

“You are a kind soul, Cat. And a strong one at that. Perhaps that strength and that kindness are linked in a way…”

Smirking and shrugging, I wave Jasper over now that our plates are cleaned.

“I just wanna do what’s best for my girlfriend. Oh!”

 

As Jasper returns and begins taking our plates away, I remember something, feeling the light in my chest shine a bit brighter.

“Jasper! I’ve been meaning to ask, are you busy tonight?”

“Eh?”

The waitress thinks for a moment before bouncing her head from side to side with an unsure expression.

“Today’s the last day before the event, so I’ll probably be needed. Why do you ask?”

Hmm. Tapping my paw to my chin, I try to think of some excuse…

“Ah, that works actually! I was gonna ask about the event itself, see what’s going on, but I could definitely come over and lend a helping paw!”

“Eh??? Aren’t you really busy these days, going off to the city so often? You must be beat! I couldn’t put even more work on your shoulders!”

“Ehhh, it’s no problem. I know my limits, trust me, so I know I can fit in some time to help.”

Not entirely sure if she should believe me or not, Jasper sighs, nodding.

“Oh, alright. But if you start to look even a bit exhausted, I’m getting Annabelle to haul your butt back home, okay?”

“Alright, alright! Thanks Jasper.”

“Why the heck are you thanking me? You’re the one offering to help!”

Sticking my tongue out at her, she smiles and waves me off, getting back to work, leaving me with Coyotl once more.

“Hey, wanna hang out at my place?”

Coyo seems a little less taken aback than usual, but still surprised I would even consider such a thing.

“Ah. Uhm. I...I would...however, I may have to decline. I am so close to figuring something out related to ghosts, and...and I would like time to mentally prepare for tomorrow, if that is okay…”

Giving them a concerned smile, I nod, standing up and doing a big stretch.

“I getcha, no worries. Take it easy, okay?”

“You as well, Cat. I will see you tomorrow at the same time?”

I give it a thought for a second before shaking my head.

“You took a real beating today, Coyo. Even if you’re patched up, you should get some rest. The day after this is the final fight after all, we’ll want you ready and raring to go then.”

The chimera looked to have been ready to interject before I mentioned them getting rest, instead now standing up and nodding at me.

“I understand. Still, if you need me--”

“I’ll come getcha. Promise. Take care, m’kay?”

Another promise made, and one I find myself believing will be much easier to keep. I walk away, a tide of emotions still tumbling in my chest, only able to hope for the best in this coming future I’ve set for myself.

8