Epilogue
277 5 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

End of Act 3: Tale of the Twin Tails, the Dark, the Light, and Spirits United

 

“...It never quite gets easier, does it?”

I don’t mean to be rude, but I can’t help but laugh a little.

“I think we’re a few thousand years too young to answer that.”

Yom sighs, that mouthless smile shining gently over Penny’s new grave.

“Perhaps…but I trust your judgment a great deal.”

I flash Yom a winning grin before Violet pokes out of our tail and grumbles.

“For a Goddess of Light, you’re not making a very bright decision with that one.”

The Goddess giggles and pets the wolf through my tail, the grumpy shadow groaning yet leaning into the pats.

“Twilight Goddess. I’ll admit, in my paranoia, I may have left out a few details to try and seem more…unequivocally good.”

“For a Goddess of Truth, you’re a fucking liar.”

Yom laughs, and I can’t help but join in seeing how much she’s lightened up since we first met.

“I did not lie! Omitting information is not lying.”

“I’ll see you in court then, asshole.”

“I do not think putting a Truth Goddess on the stand is a good idea.”

Ahh…I’ll miss this. No doubt, we’ll see each other again in the future, but with both our schedules so unpredictable, it’s hard to say exactly when that’ll be. Speaking of said schedules…

“Should we let you go? I know we all have places to be.”

“Ah! Of course, it nearly slipped my mind,” Yom squeaks, taking me by the shoulders and planting a kiss on our forehead before pulling me in for a hug. “Your work will most likely involve people who have known me for quite some time, so do keep in touch if you can.”

“What, you don’t want me to call you up just for a quick chat?”

The Goddess rolls her eyes and smiles, shoving me away from her.

“Yes, my child, please do remember to call your Goddess, she worries about you.”

We snicker as she turns her godly aura on then off, seeming like a good time to begin making my way out of this forest.

“I promise, I’ll try to contact you, however that ends up being.”

“Please, do not push yourself, Fox,” Yom tells me, ever the mom now that she’s mellowed out. “You have already done so much…”

“Yeah, yeah, I’ll take care of us, don’t you worry!” I say, walking off and picking up my bag, waving my free claw back at her. “You take care as well, okay?”

“Of course, my child. Of course.”

 

Wandering back into Aspen Town, it’s not long before I notice some kind of ruckus that I want to stick my tail into, finding quite the pack of people gathered around Jasper’s Diner, all because of the rat at the center.

“Yo, Liz!” I shout, please don’t do this waltzing on into the crowd and finding the Rat Queen and Sue locked in a battle of wits…over a collectable card game.

“Oh! Fox!” Sue chirps, prompting me to slide over to her as she stands up for a kiss before immediately getting back to her Main Phase 1, I think I’ve heard her call it… “Sorry, you’re leaving today, aren’t you? Give me a sec, I need to put this rat in her place.”

“She doesn’t know, rats~” Liz sneers, spinning her one remaining card between her claws before turning her gaze my way. “What about you, Foxy~? I’s heard yous got big plans, hmm~?”

“You ask that as if you don’t know each and every detail already,” I say, goading a haw haw out of her.

“Humor me, toots, I’s a chatty rat~”

Rolling my eyes, I put my bag down and curl my tail under me to make a seat for myself.

“Coyotl is aware of a few other magical families around the world, so they’ve taken it upon themselves to seek them out and see what the deal is, both in regards to Ascended being around, and what Yom told us.”

“Glib stuff, ain’t it?” she says, chewing the words like she’s got gum in her mouth. “Nothin’ we can’t handle though, ain’t dat right~?”

She’s an asshole, but dammit, she knows I like a challenge.

“That is, in fact, right. So I’m going with, having a bit of a road trip,” I explain, looking over the board, then back at Liz. “I’d imagine you have plans then–”

“One moment, Foxy– NIBIRU, BABEY!! C’mon, wipe dat field–”

“Solemn Judgement.”

The rat. Is not. Pleased.

“Fucka yous.”

“Should have packed more back row removal,” Sue teases, only riling up the rat further.

“LISTEN HERE, TOOTS, DERE’S STILL A SECOND DUEL TA–”

“Sorry,” the navigator smiles softly but smugly as she stands up from her chair. “I have to see my girlfriend off before her big trip, tootaloo.”

“Oh, I’s gonna fuckin’ get her,” Liz seethes, whiskers really in a twist before she fishes a cigarette out of her coat pocket and lights it up, taking a deep huff, then a deep puff, the smoke smelling rather fruity. “I’s ain’t mad. Anyhoots, it’s gonna be a bit more boring without yous ta do jobs for me. At least I’s got ta have ya for a few months~”

“You’re a prick but you’re also a good business partner,” I tell her, leaning back in my tail chair with crossed arms, earning a cackle out of her. “If you’ve got anything especially interesting, give me a call, I might be able to make time.”

“I’ll keep ya posted, Foxy. Now get da hell outta here, da sooner ya out, da faster ya in~”

I shoot her some finger guns and stand up, Violet growling from our tail as I pick up our bag and leave with Sue.

 

“You sure you don’t want to come along?” I ask, hands behind my head as we make our way through town while Sue’s arm is wrapped around my waist. “We’d really love to have you!”

“And I love having you two, too!” they say with a squeeze and a smile. “But I’d like to figure out what I want to do with myself before going on any grand adventures. We kind of have a project in mind already, we’ve always wanted to make a video game.”

“Oh shit, that’s awesome!” I say, tail swishing. “Poke me if you need testers, you know how I am with breaking games!”

“I’ll demolish it if you give me the chance.”

Sue giggles cutely as I take over for now, scooping them up in a claw and carrying them.

“Oh my! Hehe, don’t worry, you two were the first ones that came to mind when we thought of that! There’s no Fox fuckier or wolf more skilled at games than you all.”

Adorable. I give Sue a squeeze and a peck, cherishing the time we have left together. Sheesh, no need to sound so dramatic. I’m sad. Alright, alright!

“That aside,” Sue continues, wrapped up around my arm, “we’d like to keep Cat company, there’s no doubt she’ll miss you a lot, and with how far you might be going, we’d need to go together. Not super sure if Zee’s suit will be 100% functional at that distance…”

“Both very fair reasons. You’re kind and thoughtful.”

“Aw, babe…~”

Unfortunately our time together is prodded at by a gross whistling from a nearby octopus lady. I flip Jam off and get a move on, only stopping once we near Reed’s. Inside I can see Niamh chatting it up with Bunny, Bomba nearby keeping the titular ant company before we’re noticed, all but Reed making their way out of the bar, much to the barkeep’s pleasure.

“Oh, goodness,” Bunny pants. “Thank the Goddess I caught you now, I’d hate to be running after you all!”

“I’m not going anywhere fast,” I say, for some reason getting a chuckle out of everyone aside from Bomba, stoic as ever. “Keep everyone whipped into shape while I’m gone. I can’t imagine what the remaining idiots will get up to without me here.”

“Your lovely presence has never stopped us before~” Niamh coos, happily earning a groan from me.

“Honest to goodness, asking me to do more at this age…” Bunny sighs, yet smiles. “Don’t you worry one bit, I’ve got everything under control as usual.”

“I appreciate that,” I tell her, giving the mom a thumbs up before turning to Niamh and Bomba. “Are you two ready to go? You look under packed.”

“Oh, darling, I assure you I am quite packed~”

“I hate you.”

While the snake yuks it up, Bomba dashes back into Reed’s and comes out just as fast, now equipped with a massive backpack.

“You’re too young for the joke I want to make.”

The seedling tilts her head, getting quite the chuckle out of everyone else before I groan and begin walking away.

 

Destiny calls as we approach the entrance of Aspen Town, shifting back over to me and placing Sue on their feet as I dash over to tackle hug an unsuspecting Coyo talking with Cat and Zee.

“COYO!!”

“AH!! Vix…!”

My tail wags something fierce at the nickname and their hug, sneaking in a kiss to their snowy screen, then slipping away to climb up Cat and do much the same to her.

“Mmn~! Well meowdy doo to you too, hun!” she chuckles, giving my butt a playful squeeze before dropping me in Zee’s arm, the robot boy carrying me bridal style (oh my) as Niamh and Bomba catch up. “Looks like everybody is accounted for, ISN’T THAT RIGHT LIZ?!”

A distant haw haw scurries through the air, timed perfectly with the arrival of Jay dropping in.

“Sup, chumps. You all suck.”

Cat and I snort while the rest of the crew is either indifferent (Niamh, Sue), or confused (everyone else).

“What’s got a thorn in your feathers, Jay,” Cat asks without a hint of actual concern.

“I’m already getting bossed around by every other big wig in town, now I’ve gotta be your chauffeur too?! Unbelievable.”

“Hey, think of it this way,” I begin, mushing Zee over to Jay so I can wrap an arm around him. “Consider this as a break from the super important business! We’re going on a bit of a road trip, you can relax with us or die.”

Sue snorts at Violet and Jay’s melodramatic side show, Zee giving me a good pet as he puts me back on my paws.

“So, you’re Liz’s right paw, and now you’re doing dirty work for Legion, errands for Caster and Ray, and I’d imagine helping out Caramel?” Sue asks, still fairly connected to underworld happenings as it would seem.

“Caramel and Minhocão. AND Minhocão…! Have you heard how loud that guy is?! I’m gonna go deaf by the time I’m 40!”

“...How old are you, Jay…?”

The very large and buff bird crosses his arms at me and smirks.

“I’m 12 years old.”

“Alllright, get your stinky ass outta here, bird brain,” Cat groans, shoving Jay away as he cackles. “That goes for the rest of yous, too, y’hear?!”

“...Yous?” I muse.

“Yous…? Sue joins in.

“Yous?!” Coyotl exclaims, Cat seeming very embarrassed all of the sudden.

“G-GET OUTTA HERE, YOU NIMRODS!! Sick of your gay asses.”

The polycule gets one more good laugh in before we all look at each other, the situation finally setting in as we come together for one big hug.

“YOU TOO, LIZ.”

The nearby rat groans, coming out of the shadows at Cat’s command to slink her way into the embrace, only letting go once we hear Sue-Zee’s ride screeching to a halt, arriving at last.

“Alright…the time’s come,” I say, the finality of the statement forcing a deep breath in and out of me. “...I love you all. I love some of you. She loves all of you. Except for Liz.”

“Haw haw~”

“Y’all better stay safe, I really don’t wanna have to run half the globe to kick someone’s ass for you but I will,” Cat says, walking over and pulling me into one last hug, squeezing the night out of me, moving on to hug Coyo, then giving Niamh a reluctant kiss on the cheek after some goading. “...I’ll miss you all. Keep in contact.”

“Yes, ma’am!” I salute along with Violet from my tail, skipping over and onto the top of the truck, soon joined by Coyo in the passenger seat, and Niamh and Bomba in the back, all of us waving goodbye to our loved ones and Liz for the time being.

“I MEAN IT, YOU BETTER CALL!!”

“GET IN SOME TROUBLE FOR ME!!” Zee shouts over Cat, getting a snort out of me.

“DON’T DO THAT!!” Sue adds, though with much less conviction than the feline.

“FUCK ‘EM UP!!” Liz tops it all off, never one to not have the last word.

Ahh…Now to lay back on my tail, and get cozy…

“Are you doing alright, up there, Vix?” Coyo calls out, sticking his head out the window to look up at me, to which I wave and smile.

“Happy as can be, Coyo,” I say, closing my eyes for a moment as the vehicle starts up and starts moving, feeling the wind rush through my fur. “Happy as can be.”

The world may keep moving, and I’ll be damned if I don’t outrace it, but so long as things stay like this…I’ll be happy.

 

Beginning of…a brighter future.

5