Ch.22. Research Visits (pt.2)
4.6k 15 114
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day comes quickly as I head on towards Aunt Mikoto's house today. I'm dressed in my trademark black and white shirt and pants. I just love this pattern. 

Probably because Mom always dressed me in these colors.

Speaking of Mom.

"Do you have to come with me? Don't you have a mission coming up?"

Mom is dressed in her mission gear, humming as we walked. 

"I have a bit of time before I report in. I just wanted to see my little Hii play some more~."

Haaa. She is always on about that.

"Why do you want me to play so much?"

Mom smiled at me and turned her head forward as she continued to hum.

"It's because this is one of the only time your life won't be on the line."

I stopped after hearing her. She stopped as well and ruffled my hair.

"I want you to understand something, Hii. It's fine to get stronger and to develop faster. It does, however, come with a price. Your freedom will be restrained and you'll be responsible for those who didn't develop fast enough or took their time. In the field, death always looms over you, be it a simple mission or a mission where you know you'll face it. Your friends may die and it could even be your fault that they do. I say all that to say this. Be a kid while you can,Hii."

Mom stops rustling my hair as I stare at her. Her usually happy eyes... They went completely dark.

"You'll only have this chance before you'll have to endure. Pain,grief, even loneliness is just some of the many things adults endure. This applies even more so for ninjas, so be a kid as long as you can. You and the twins will all go to academy together once you turn 8. Those will be your last years as children. You'll be ninjas after that."

Mom turns around and continues to walk towards Mikoto's place. 

"So have fun every chance you get and make sure it's spent well and not wasted. You never know when it'll all end."

Mom continues to walk, but I can't follow her. I feel...heavy, like the weight of the world is on my shoulders. 

[Breathe. This is the weight that's always been there since we came to this world. We knew we had to fight. This is the weight of a warrior, of a ninja.]

I breathe in and out, slowly calming my beating heart down. 

I've known this for a while now. Grandpa and Grandma are clear reminders of what that world is like.

But...

I wanna see it for myself! I want to protect my loved ones and my home!

I just want to be strong enough to do that. Nothing fancy, just that.

"Haaaa."

I feel so much lighter now as I open my eyes and see Mom staring at me. We stare at each other for a short while, then she sighs and comes towards me.

Before I can ask her what's wrong, she picks me up and puts my head on her shoulder. 

"Mom?! What-"

"Shhh. Be quiet for a moment."

Her soft tone shuts me up as I just... let things be.

She hugs me tightly, as if I'm going to go somewhere she can't reach. I hug her back in response, though I don't understand what's happening.

"I wish you weren't so smart sometimes. You give me more trouble than the twins."

I give you more trouble?!

I don't know what to say to that, so we just stay quiet as she hugs me. This is getting akward.

"M-Mom, we're wasting time. We have to go if you want to see Mikoto nee-san."

"Hmmm~. You're right. We should get going."

I wait for Mom to put me down, but... She's still carrying me?!

"Mom?!"

"Hehehe! Ninjas never let their guard down!"

"Nooo!!"

I was subjected to kisses and teases on my cheeks and face as she just carried me. 

I couldn't break free either. I had no choice, but to accept the punishment for letting my guard down.

*****

We arrive to a pretty big estate with that fan symbol plastered everywhere. People call the place the Uchiha compound, but it's not just Uchiha that live here. Other families frequent the area and many others from this clan are spread out in the village. 

Mom said something about the Uchiha and Hyuga clans were at odds with the 3rd hokage, but they are pretty favorable to the 4th. 

Maybe because he doesn't have a big clan?

Mom knocks on the door of the entrance and we wait for Mikoto nee-san. I managed to clear up my face from all of mom's punishment, but I'm still embarassing. 

"Ara~! Kaya-san! What a surprise!"

Mikoto appears from behind the door and greets us. She bends down and makes eye contact with me and smiles.

"You've gotten so big, Hii-chan~? Do you remember me?"

"I remember you, Mikoto nee-san."

I bow to her and she looks delighted.

"So cute~! Come inside, I'll get some snacks."

We head inside and arrive at their living room. Mom and I sit at the table and wait for Mikoto to come back. 

*Step Step Step*

We hear some footsteps coming towards us from inside the house. 

The door opens and Mom and I check to see who it is.

A boy a bit older than me stands with messy black hair and a handsome face. He scans the room and his vision lands on Mom and I. He looks shocked to see Mom.

"Kaya-san? What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at the briefing?"

"Tsk!"

Did Mom just click her tongue?! What happened to enduring, Mom?!

"Is it that urgent?"

"Yes, Hokage-sama even invoked one of his Little Brother passes."

Little Brother Pass?! What's that?!

"....Haaa."

Mom sighs and looks at me, then kisses my forehead.

"Guess I have to go back early. I'll see you when I get back."

"Ok! Bye Mom! Be safe!"

"Don't worry about Hii-chan. I'll make sure his stay is comfortable."

Mom nods her head to Mikoto, gives me a hug and disappears. The boy shakes his head as he chuckles.

"Kaya-san is always like that. Comes and goes like a storm."

He then looks at me and smiles.

"You're one of her kids, right? I'm Shisui Uchiha. Nice to meet you."

"My name is Hii. Nice to meet you and thank you for taking care of my mother."

I bow to him while he scratches his head.

"No need to be so formal. I'm not that good at keeping up with her anyway. She takes care of most of us."

"Hii-kun is so polite. What did you come by for,Hii? Did you come to play with Sasuke?"

I shake my head and remember why I originally came here.

"I needed help completing my Water Style technique. I wanted to know if you could tell me a bit about how your Fireball jutsu works. Maybe I can use something in that to apply to my Water style."

Mikoto looks surprised by my question. I know why.

"Why doesn't Kaya teach you? She's the best user of the style I know."

"She won't teach me directly. She's just been bombarding me with water balls and tells me to feel the water."

Mikoto frowns as she thinks of the reason for Mom's behavior.

I decide to let her know what I think.

 "I think she doesn't want me to grow up too fast."

Mikoto smiles wryly at my conjecture and nods.

"I can understand the feeling. I felt the same with how fast Itachi grows. He's an Chuunin now and I can't help, but worry. He's still 10 after all. Luckily, Shisui is there to keep an eye out for him."

Shisui blushes a bit,scratching his head.

"I'm not that mature. I'm only 12. Itachi is smart too, so there's not much I need to do."

Shisui then turns to me and smiles.

"Since Kaya won't do it, I can at least teach a view principles of the Fireball Jutsu to you. Hopefully, it helps you with your training."

"I hope so too. I was going to see if Itachi nii-san could help me, but I'd be grateful if you could, Shisui-niisan"

Shisui nods and smiles brightly. What a nice nii-san he is for helping me. 

I have a new goal now though. After I learn how to use Water Style, I'll have the biggest water fight ever with Mom ever!! 

Hehehe! I can't wait!

 

114