Ch.46. A Night To Remember
3.6k 4 98
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Akumu and I made our way to the center of the forest until we came across a building. It was a tall tower that rose slightly above the trees on the area. I marveled at the sight while Akumu headed inside an open door.

[Let's go over the basics and ground rules. Here is where you will be staying in the forest. This will also be your "safe" zone. It has some food, places to cook and clean, and a bed. You just have to pick a room for yourself.]

"Will you be staying with me here?"

Akumu shook his head.

[No, I'll only come in here for announcements and non-hostile interactions.]

Non-hostile interactions?

So every other interaction is hostile?!

[Now let's go over the training. The objective for you during this time is to tie 15 knots on the fence surrounding the border.]

"T-That's it?"

[Yep! All you have to do is get there and get back without getting caught.]

"Ooookay? Caught by who?"

[Me.]

A cold shiver came up my spine as I saw the smile on Akumu's face.

[Don't worry. I won't hurt you too much. I'll heal you just enough to make sure you're able to try again.]

The shiver hasn't stopped since he started talking. Akumu stops looking at me and I feel the cold vanish suddenly.

[You trained really hard to get strong, but you know what made you shiver just now, right?]

"No! What was that?"

[Killing intent.]

I reflect on Akumu's words. I think I understand a bit about why we're here.

[You've practiced with some tough opponents for your age, but you haven't dealt with killing intent. I'm the best teacher to teach that. Not only am I an actual predator people fear, I also can exist in shadows. I'll be your initiation into the real world of a ninja proper so you won't freeze up at the first sign of death.]

I slowly nod my head as Akumu heads towards the door.

[It looks like it'll be a full moon tonight. We'll start the lessons tomorrow.]

I begin to put my stuff away as Akumu just lays down on the ground near the door and curls up for a nap.

I check everything in the building during my free time and I kind of like the feel of this place. I end up doing my daily workout in an arena like area for a good while before I hear a grunt.

[Ugh!]

'Akumu!'

I rush to my feet and head over to Akumu and see him shivering in pain!

"What's wrong, Akumu?!"

[It's.....time.]

"Huh? It's time? Time for what?!"

Akumu doesn't answer me and rushes outside! 

"Akumu!"

I chase after him, but it turned to night time before I knew it.

"Akumu!!"

I try to keep track of him, but he zips in between the moonlight and the shadows. Where is he going?!

Akumu continued to run through the forest at high speed!

I'm getting a bit worried for two reasons.

One is obviously because Akumu seems to be going crazy.

Two is because of how fast he is!

I can barely keep up with him!

I have no choice then.

Lightning Armor!

My hair spikes up as I charge after him. I'm fianlly able to keep up with him and I can see what he's doing.

He's.... biting chunks out of the trees?!

Large chunks of trees are missing from the ones we've passed so far! I follow Akumu as he continues to bite and run, rushing towards a large group of giant trees. He gets to the center of a circle of them and finally stops. 

I land right behind him and reach out to him.

"Akumu?"

[G-Get Back!!!]

Akumu roars in pain as he suddenly starts to shiver violently. Orange energy starts to gather around him.

I jump back a bit since I trust Akumu, but soon, I used my Lightning Armor to make a full sprint backwards.

Everything around Akumu is dying!

The green grass he was standing on became dry and light brown as did the trees nearby! 

And it's spreading wider!!!

"What is going on?!"

I race through the trees in a random direction and try to get away from the spread!

It's faint, but I can see a orangish like energy getting drained from the surroundings as I run.

'That must be the Yang Chakra!'

"Ssshaaaaa!!"

"Huh?!"

Where did this snake come from?!

A giant snake appeared near a tree I landed next to and lunged towards me! I barely dodged out of the way, getting scraped by the snake's scales, and continued to run.

Something told me to watch the snake react to Akumu's state. I looked back while running and I was shocked with what I saw.

The snake was looking at me, trying to find another chance to swallow me whole. It suddenly noticed the giant tree branch it held itself on was starting to give way. It then shivered and turned towards the direction I ran from. 

"Shaaa!!!!!!!"

The snake's scales soon took a dull color instantly as I could more clearly see the Yang Chakra getting sucked right out of it.

In a matter of seconds, the giant snake fell from the brittle branch lifelessly with a thud.

A cold shiver ran up my spine as I dashed as fast as I could, pouring as much chakra in my legs as I can.

"That....was horrifying..."

That snake died in seconds. If I lingered for just a while longer, or I ignored Akumu...

I shook the thought from my head as I raced back to the tower and look behind me, panting for air.

"Haa haaa,Huh?!"

The trees!!

They look fine?!

'Maybe Akumu's absorption stopped at some point.'

Awoooooooooooo!!!!!!

I hear a baleful howl echo from the forest.

'That must be Akumu! I have to check on him!'

I have to be careful, in case the drain spreads again.

I try to creep towards the trees, watching everything in case something drops dead.

I watch the area for around a minute, but I don't really see anything changing.

No other choice!

I take a deep breath, and start to walk back the way I came. 

It was a surreal sight.

I walked on the ground this time,since the trees probably won't hold my weight anymore either.

It's....silent.

All the bugs noises, birds chirping, and even the wind is gone. 

I can only hear the sounds of my footsteps on the dead leaves that litter the ground now.

'Akumu could do this?'

I....never really realized it. Akumu really is a Biju. 

'But I won't be scared of him. I can't!'

He's been there since the beginning! I'm not gonna get scared just because of the odd way he develops.

This is just how he grows.

I slowly make my way closer to where I last saw Akumu and the damage increased the closer I got. The trees look very brittle, like they'll fall at any time. 

I tried to push one of them nearby with a bit of strength and...

*Creak Creak*

"Eh?!"

The tree started to fall down! It headed towards the ground so quickly, it caught me off guard!

*Crack*

"Whoa!!"

The tree actually shattered into pieces on impact!!

"......"

I'm speechless. It shattered like a plate hitting the ground.

*Gulp*

I-I have to check on Akumu.

I make my way further in and see many other trees just like the one I pushed earlier. I try to avoid touching them this time and finally make it to Akumu's location. 

The giant trees that were near him before have all fallen to pieces on the ground. I can see Akumu just standing there, bathed in moonlight.

He slowly turns his head in my direction and breathes a sigh of relief.

[Haaaa! Thank God! Are you okay?]

A sigh escapes my lips as he said that.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I got out of the way."

I look around and notice that everything close to Akumu all disappeared or shattered. It's like the forest has a giant bald spot now.

"Is the forest going to grow back?"

[Ugh! I hope so. I didn't expect it to be that violent.]

Akumu comes toward me as I look at him.

'He got a much bigger.'

Akumu was about as tall as me when he came out before. Now he seems to be.... about as tall as Grandpa. He looms over me now.

"You're huge now."

[Yeah. I'm fully grown.]

I inspect Akumu and see besides his new weight class, everything else looks about the same. Some of his fur now has a tinge of purple running through the black and his face seems fluff-

"Wait a second! Akumu! Bend your head down!"

[Ugh,okay?]

Akumu bends his head down and I get a good look at his face.

It looks like a normal wolf with eyelids and everything!

"Akumu! It looks like your eyes are fully developed now!"

[Yeah. I felt that.]

Hm?

"Then shouldn't you open them?"

[...I'm kind of scared to open them.]

"Come on! This mess happened to finish your growth, you should at least see the night sky for once! I wanna see you open them!"

[Haaaa......fine.]

I eagerly watch as Akumu slowly opens his eyes. 

I see his eyes look just like a Sharingan, but it's different. The parts that are usually black; the pupil, the ring, and the one tomoe, are white while the rest of the eye is pitch black.

"Whoa! Your eyes look really cool!"

[Thanks. You look....a lot different than I thought.]

"Eh? What do you mean?"

[I thought maybe you'd look like I did when I was younger. Oh well.]

Right! This is technically the first time he actually seen me.

[Now that I know what you look like, it'll be easier to catch you.]

"Eeeeeeh?!!!"

Akumu chuckles as he lifts his head up and looks around. He raises his head to the night sky and just stares at the stars and the moon for a while. I stand next to him and watch them as well. Besides the deadly situation earlier, it's a beautiful night today.

[Come on. I'll figure out what to do with this area tomorrow. You should get some rest. Training is going to be tough.]

"Ok!"

Akumu and I head back to the tower through the dead trees. I have to jog slightly to keep up with Akumu's new stride now. 

There's no doubt that he's gotten even stronger now!

I can't fall behind! I'll get just as strong!

I have to!

 This night will be a night I can't forget. I can't forget my resolve, and I won't forget Akumu's eyes.

98