Chapter 1
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In 2050, a comet struck the Earth and caused an extinction event that was even bigger than the Jurassic extinction event. To make it worse, the comet hit the Yellowstone Park in North America. The impact immediately destroyed the North American continent, and then both the North and South American continents were lost from the rest of humanity. It was the most costly disaster in human history, but it was only the beginning.

After the impact, soot covered the atmosphere. As a result, crops failures happened worldwide and wide-spread famine ensued. Not to mention, global temperatures dropped significantly, causing long year winters in the non tropical regions and years without the sun. Along with the loss of the world’s largest superpower, in the same year alone, the world’s economy crashed and multitudes of chaos covered the globe.

While some nations scrambled and tried to control the crisis, some took the chaos as a chance to install their power. Soon after, revolts erupted around the globe, and then wars were declared between nations. At this point, modern society was already falling apart. But, it wasn’t the end of it yet.

Beyond scientific’s expectation, the soot that covered the globe vanished years sooner than calculated. But with it, the world humans knew had changed. They would witness the appearance of monsters that could be as big as mountains, and monsters resembling the animals they knew, but much stronger and faster. The last flora and fauna known by mankind then perished soon after the appearance of these “Beasts”. Plants too were no exception to the change.

And as a result, farms and cattles were destroyed by this change. Humans at this point in time couldn’t fight against the Beasts that could destroy their cities easily. It was the final blow to the collapse of the modern world.  The remaining humans then scattered into the wild and bunkers to seek shelter. Humanity would not recover for hundreds of years. But, humans too, were affected by this change.


“Don’t falter! Victory will soon be ours!”

A man cried out in the middle of a chaos. He was standing atop the rubbles, lifting up his sword into the air.  Around him, men in leather armors ran past him as they flooded the streets, killing their enemies as they tried to flee.  The last of their enemies are being driven out or getting killed, and the eagle standard was placed throughout the cities.

Today marked the conquest of the city of Naples by the first state found since the extinction event, the newly found Nova Roma state based in the recovered city of Rome. It was the second city taken by Rome through force after Florence up in the north. 

“Roma Invicta!”

“Roma Invicta!”

The words “Roma Invicta” were cried out throughout the city, as they had won. The city is now theirs.

But the enemies didn’t feel like losing without achieving something in the end. If they couldn’t win it, then they would just destroy it. Their jealousy and hatred justify this barbaric means.

Then, a roar shook the air. Everyone in the city could hear it, and then they stopped their victory cry. That roar was from a creature they feared. They prayed everyday that such Beast would never go near their home. As they didn’t have the strength to stop it.

“I will leave it to you, my son”

A man that was standing above everyone else on a castle at that moment called upon his son to take care of it, as if he was giving the cleanup job to his son. He didn’t take the threat seriously, despite knowing what kind of danger it presented to his men. Because he knew that such a beast didn’t count for anything compared to what he and his son present.

From the thick forests, a huge beast dashed through the trees, leaving a path of destruction. It was easily as huge as a truck. Despite its size, it moved swiftly through the terrains with its four legs. It looked both hungry and angry. Because on its body, there are visible marks of abuse. The beast was tortured, and then left hungry so when it’s released, it will destroy and devour everything in its path to satisfy its anger.

“Aaaaaaghk!”

It then claimed its first victims. It easily crushed through their meaningless defenses, and destroyed the building the Romans ran into to seek protection. Then from the swirling dusts, a giant double headed dog appeared. Its eyes move around rapidly as it seeks more food to eat. A half, lifeless body was being eaten by one of its heads. The man died with a horrified look, as he was taken in the jaws of death and died out of shock afterwards. It was a beast that looked similar to a double headed dog from a certain mythology.

“Hey, pick something fits for your own size”

While the other men that witnessed the beast ran away quickly, a huge dead Beast like cow was thrown on the grown. Stepping on it, was a young man with sparkling green eyes that gazed upon the monstrous dog with contempt. While he could see that the beast was tortured and very hungry, the young man felt no compassion once he saw his comrades were killed violently.

The Beast growled at the young man. While it was hungry, it couldn’t stand being looked down upon like he was in captivity. Even though there was a huge feast in front of it, the Beast rejected it out of his anger. And so, the fight between a monster and a man began, just like in legends.

The Beast advanced first by dashing towards the young man, using its huge body and unfathomably fast speed to crush the young man with its body and then eat him up. But, its charge was stopped by a round shield on its face. While the sight of a man lifting a rock became nothing uncommon in this era, stopping a charge of a monstrous beast was still a sight to behold.  Humans got stronger to adapt to this new world, and vice versa. The entire world had changed since to become similar to that of fantasy world and mythology.

The shield too, was made using the hide of a boar-like Beast which has a very strong hide. Even with simple craftsmanship, it was able to be made into a strong armor. For this reason, it was able to block the Beast’s charge. As the Beast  was able to demolish a building made of stones with ease.

By the law of inertia, the dog's face was crushed under its own momentum when its charge was blocked by a shield. But the young man was buckling in too under the Beast’s strength. The other head of the Beast then began to move to attack the young man from the side. But, the young man’s blade had already moved to counter it. The sword pierced through the other head’s nose and then the young man pushed away the Beast. 

His sword was too short to make any heavy injury. And so, he must change his tactic. He picked up a long spear left on the ground. Now it was his turn to go on the offensive. He gripped on the spear and began to take a throwing stance. He waited for his chance in order to maximise the damage he would do.

The two-headed Beast then prepared to charge again. But he wouldn’t allow it. Using all of his strength, he threw the spear like a ballistic missile at it. The spear hit its mark right between the heads, causing the Beast to be split in two. It caused immense pain to the Beast which made the Beast to writhe in pain and stopped its attack. The young man took the chance and drew his sword again, to charge at the Beast and took it out of its misery. He cut through the wound he had inflicted earlier, and then proceeded to completely tear the two headed Beast in two.

The monster had fallen finally. The soldiers then cheered for the young man who had saved their lives from otherwise certain doom for them.

“Ave! Ave!”

For the soldiers, he was their hero. But for his father, it was only his proving ground. From atop the castle, his father, also the commander of the conquering army merely smiled. His son would be a great asset for the new state.

“Long live Aeneas! Son of Aurelius!”

The hero’s name was then blessed by the victorious army. Aeneas, taken from the name of a Trojan prince that became the progenitor of Rome in ancient times.  He too, one day will be the renown hero for Nova Roma, and be a legend in this world.

250 years after the extinction event, the ancient city of Naples was conquered by the new state of Nova Roma. The state was expanding rapidly through the Italian Peninsula. But her power in the peninsula will soon be challenged, both from the outside and the inside.

After the battle, Aeneas was then called by his father through a messenger to return as soon as possible to the castle. 

“Father? He wants me to return to the castle right after this?” He wondered what would be so important for him to be called soon after the conquest.

“Yes. He said he already has a new mission for you” The messenger said with respect to Aeneas while issuing the important order to him

“I see. Take me to him now” Aeneas urged. If it’s so important, then he will take care of it. A dutiful son like always.

The messenger then began to walk away, with Aeneas following him

Once he arrived in the castle, he entered the castle through an opened gate, which was broken through in the battle for the city. There were many people going around in the castle, they were either injured or resting after the fight was over. The enemy bodies had already been taken away out of the place to make the castle clean and comfortable for people to rest in.

(“Looks like they already began to clean the place. Everyone worked hard in this battle. They deserve any rest they can take”.)

Aeneas thought caringly for the men who had fought for the state. While Nova Roma was still new for them, they still fought for the  state with incredible spirit. It was because they shared the dream to live under Roman rule, and protected her dignity like they would protect their own family

He was then led to an office by the guards. He was then given permission and the messenger left his side. Then, he entered the office which was filled with deteriorating furniture and walls that had been abandoned for centuries. There, he found his father staring at the beautifully setting sun through the windows.

“Father, what do you need of me?” Aeneas asked what business his father has for him to be called so soon. While he liked the view his father is having, he has no intention to idle for long.

“Congratulations for being a hero, Aeneas. You saved our men’s lives” His father, Aurelius turned his face towards Aeneas. The same green eyes glimmered through his gaze with a strong smile.

“It was not much, father. You could have done it faster than I did back there. So, what’s the matter?” Aeneas shrugged off the compliment with humility. He knew his father was still more capable than him. If it was not Aeneas, then Aurelius could do it more easily. For Aeneas, it was nothing much.

“I will leave for Rome soon. The king has summoned me”

“Wait, what?”

Aeneas was taken by surprise. The king had already summoned his father despite them having just won today. Not only because of how soon the time for his return, but how quick for it to be issued. The king must have had really sharp intuition for him to see far ahead of their victory.

“I will leave this city in your hands” Aurelius smiled at Aeneas with expectations

“Wait wait, this is a bit too fast for me. You want me to stay here and take command of everyone?” Aeneas couldn’t swallow it all at once. May everyone have high expectations of him, he was still seventeen years old. Just too young for such important responsibility so soon.

“Yes, but that’s not all. I will give this to you. It’s just as important”

Aurelius then handed Aeneas a sheet of paper to him. The young man proceeded to read the paper and he was shocked more than before. 

“W-wait, this is….”

“It’s a project me and the king have been working on. From now on, you will be a Centurion”

The content of the paper lists a hundred names that will be placed under Aeneas’ command. He will be in charge to train and lead them. And so, Aeneas’ journey began, and he will not be alone. 

0