Chapter 8 – Slow and Silent Conversation
2k 28 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With the plucking soon stopping Ariara looks at her new side of light blue feathers, a bit satisfied at the improvements, and the direction she's going: not fully a mage, but definitely not a close-range fighter. This time, she decided to test out if there was a limit on how many feathers she could get out of one thing, the result being three Ice Feathers, as she calls them, one red and a brown one.

Ariara the Harpy

Level 11 (110/135 EXP)

17/Temporary Max 57 Hp
40/61 Mana
Skills
Bird of Many Feathers (LVL 2) - Colorful Harpy (LVL 2) - Fire Starter (LVL 2) - Self Pluck (LVL 3) - Flight (LVL 2) - Harpy Eye (LVL 2) - Grass Blade (LVL 2) - Chlorophyll (LVL 2) - Natural Mana Hijack (LVL 1) - Heat Mitigator (LVL Max) - Icy Protection (LVL 1) - Healthy Omnivore (LVL 1) - Intimidate (LVL 1) - Frost Breath (LVL 1)

Titles
General of Warfare - Traveler of Worlds - Reincarnated One - High Ranker - Opportunist - Skill Holder Apprentice - Minor Nature Affinity - Minor Cold Affinity

Heat Mitigator (LVL Max) - Ariara isn't affected by natural heat, her body producing a chill mitigating the effects of the fauna, this skill not helping in case of unnatural forces interfering, like skills or magical terrain.

Icy Protection (LVL 1) - Ariara can use mana to produce enough cold in her feathers to make a magical barrier of frozen aura, this shield is particularly vulnerable to the fire element and resistant to the water element.

Healthy Omnivore (LVL 1) - Ariara's body is able to break down most foods, turning them into energy, making her able to prey even on trees... Although not meaning taste buds have adapted or them providing nutrients.

Intimidate (LVL 1) - Ariara can activate this ability to attempt to scare anyone looking at her, people strong of will or confident won't be scared.

Frost Breath (LVL 1) - Ariara can control mana to focus in her mouth, afterward spitting out a frost breath capable of freezing or doing magical damage thanks to its unnatural properties.

Minor Cold Affinity - The Title Holder has an affinity, whether gained or born with, towards cold. Holding either the favor of frosty spirits or skills that use such power. 

The harpy smiles as she reads the new abilities, overall seeing improvement all around, skills leveling up and new ones being added, although she would like more details on them. As of now though she proudly dismisses the alerts of skills, starting to idly rearrange her feathers like a bird, her instincts actually affecting her way of living. She stops when she feels her leg being poked, the Bunny then pointing to a few signals on the ground, which Ariara immediately recognizes a few of.

Apart from some weirdly unfamiliar signs scattered across the ground, the bunny seems to have tried to draw... the Earth as she knows it. Or, at least, a circle, and within it what looks to be the European territory. This could mean many things, after all for all she knows this is an alternate Earth, so it could be the same. But, if she were to assume this bunny was like her, why wouldn't he just write in English? Or any language she knows of? With these questions in mind she moves on to the signs, they're definitely not any language she knows of, in fact, they don't even seem to be sign language, Asian or Indian, just... A bunch of signs.

Skimming over them Ariara doesn't understand any, at least for now, to her, they all look like a bunch of signs on the ground! Not even drawings of anything... As she's trying to write her own, failing terribly, the bunny pokes her again, to show it's new work, almost a bit proud.

What she sees the girl immediately recognizes, how couldn't she? After all, on the ground, the bunny draws something she's recently seen: a skull. This sparks off multiple light bulbs in the harpy's head, did it also see the Lich? Maybe it was a thing all monsters saw... No, if it was a message to all monsters then it wouldn't refer to humans turned monster, as she heard, but then again... Maybe it had some kind of alternate message for the humans and still broadcast to the monsters?

With all of these passing thoughts, only more questions were popping up than being solved, just who is this bunny, after all, the Harpy wonders, crouching down to its height. If she was to assume this bunny was also reincarnated, did he also get an ability like hers? Or was that ability something all Harpies have? With a shake of her head she dismisses the chance all harpies have it, it looked too strong... Then again, he used multiple spells and different ones, maybe his skill lies in elements? Or perhaps it was something of his specie.

Ariara draws a bit sigh, there were just too many things she didn't know to assume, and looking back at the bunny its eyes seemed to sparkle for a moment, Ariara noticing that because of her passive skill, Harpy Eyes. What does she understand from this? Nothing... Because what would she understand from a sparkle of its eyes? Maybe a skill activation? It didn't help that she doesn't hold any skills to check a target, as she'd absolutely abuse it to Heaven and back.

"Just what are you..?" The Harpy asks, aware that it doesn't understand her, but still raising the question with her voice.

Somewhere else, in the same world.

A peculiar human is standing beside what looks to be a hologram map, green lines defining the continent as the humans know it, a few red dots populating the continent with danger and the unknown. This tall male individual is wearing a mask hiding his face, a long, yellow coat hides the shiny armor underneath, a properly sized golden-coated sword sheathed in nothing but the best metal available.

A frown comes across his face as a new dot appears on the map, with his knowledge deducting it being close to one of the recently evacuated villages. He knew it, not just any monster could make a village evacuate like that, but with the frown disappearing a smile overthrows his mouth. There was no escaping the humans, for as long as these Boss Monsters exist they'll always be seen and hunted down. 'It's just a matter of time' he tells himself as he closes the hologram by clicking a button on the side of the table it's hosted upon.

With the hologram swiftly disappearing the knight moves to the window of the tower he's in, looking out of the open fissure he smiles at seeing the bustling city, filled with life, swearing under his breath he'd protect it, exterminating monster-kin.

59