Chapter 9 – Ants.
1.6k 23 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's morning, the two have been trying to converse all day before heading to sleep, despite their bodies not understanding the language it helps to put at least noise behind the actions, Ariara mostly doing so hoping that she may get a skill or start to learn its language, or rather, his.

With a few stretches, the Harpy heads towards the maw of the cave from inside, looking out and being flashes by the morning light, a clear day to night difference between inside and outside... A few birds inhabit the forest, making chirping noises and pecking at trees or hard objects, just to spite her, she thinks.

The bunny steps out alongside the girl, seemingly going on ahead as Ariara looks around, her just letting him do so as he has already proven to be maybe even more capable than her "Maybe his skill is linked with instincts? Or a map? He did always track me down... Or it could be luck" Ariara monologues, still unsure.

As her uncertainty is blossoming something weird happens, in the clear daylight of morning a howl breaks out, not a strong one, or one with multiple wolves from what Ariara can tell... But why would wolves be howling with the sun out, Ariara asks herself, after all, wolves hunt at night... Back in her world, that is.

Deciding she's not willing to throw herself at yet another issue she decides to explore... In the direction opposite of where she thinks the howl was from, she's had enough problems as is searching for humans, looking for a hunting wolf sounds like more trouble than it's worth for its probably not many skills.

After a bit of traveling, carefully making signs on trees with small loads of the frost breath skill to remember where she's coming from, Ariara notices a lake of a circular shape, the river she so much followed starting from here while two rivers bring water onto the pool.

Sitting down and taking a drink however the Harpy is forced to jump back as she sees gruesome teeth staring back from the water, awaiting her taking a dive right into the awaiting maw or maws underneath, the poor reincarnated girl making a note of never going into the water under any circumstances.

With thirst out of the way, Ariara turns back to the forest to try to find some food, only to notice her way blocked, battle-ready grey ants the size of the Harpy preparing to assault her, more and more coming out of bushes as their numbers surpass multiple dozens, the Harpy gulping as she takes a step back, her choice being between struggling against all of these enemies or jumping in the water to be eaten by the fishes... Her wings starting to flap as she decides that neither were good options, using her Flight skill to take some height in the air, Frost Breath forming in her mouth as she spews out an attack towards the ants, she might as well since she doubts fishes can jump high out of water.

The first six or so ants stand no change, despite their size indicating a difference from the ants she's known up until now and these monsters they don't seem to favor ice, completely freezing over, as if absorbing the cold and not handling it well. Despite this more and more ants come out of bushes or the ground, explaining how they've sneaked up on her, after all ants her size aren't difficult to spot, especially for her Harpy Eyes skill.

With the first six ants frozen over the next ones climb on the ice, with no interest for their allies, using them as stools as they start to make a pile, more and more ants moving on each other to make a tower, Ariara panicking now a bit, flapping her wings faster and preparing another attack, the ants locking onto their target as they all synchronizing spit a substance the same color as the ants: grey, with dozens of it heading her way Ariara can only try to dodge a few as she's soon barraged with attacks, her poor regenerating left-wing especially hurting because of the already open wound, although healing.

The attack in Ariara's mouth disappears, instead, the cold of it moving to her body, making way for the Icy Protection Skill, the barrage slowing down because of the ant tower recharging and the protection stopping or, at the very least, negating some of the damage as the Harpy turns tail; this was not an enemy she could fight. In fact, these overwhelming first attacks were already making a dent in her hp bar, something she can feel without checking.

With the ants on one side of the shore Ariara starts flying towards the other side, after all taking the direct route above the lake should make for a swifter move than taking the route around. Looking back in fear the Harpy can see a few of the ants falling over from the tower, the frozen ones remaining there but the ones still grouped up around it starting to take the long route around the lake, not giving up so easily on their prey.

With land finally beneath her the Harpy collapses to the ground, still not used to landing, and definitely not used to landing while injured. Taking a look at her wings they're glowing with a gray aura, almost like burning but without the flame. The icy protection quickly runs out, her having used a dense type of it as to block attacks, but now her mana being mostly gone, her watching as waves of ant are rushing all around the lake in both directions, heading for her. The lake is kind of big, but their speed makes up for that fact, another clash being imminent, and her having none of the weapons to prepare for it.

As Ariara is forced to get up on her feet she is pushed back down from behind, a quick eep rushing out of her mouth as she sees who just pushed her to forcefully sit, four specimens around her size, armed with light leather armor and on their bodies different kinds of tattoos and marks of different colors, although mostly red.

What surprises her the most though is their race, the squad of Harpies preparing for combat, splitting on both sides "Come at us you brutes" One of them says, wearing what look to be little straps of clothing around her body, almost like a dancer "Don't worry, we've got the situation under control." Another says, comforting Ariara before stepping behind the dancer Harpy, a few feathers sticking out of both its wings and a determined look on all of them.

54