Chapter 12 – Thrill of the Chase
1.2k 24 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Looking around the room in her newly awakened state Ariara soon finds the source of the early screamer, the rabbit having tears going down his puffy face, a terrified expression and his breathing out of sync definitely pinpointing the scream to him

With some swift movements, Ariara gets on her feet, going to the rabbit before putting her wings around him and pulling him in for a hug, a very warm one considering both her feathers and his soft but long fur.

The Rabbit soon calms down, putting his front paws as if to hug back but not even being able to go fully around to completely hug her, instead just being happy as is. The two stay like that for a bit, his breathing slowing down before he takes a deep breath and looks up to her, a determined expression on his face.

With the harpy reassured he let's go of her, being released himself. As he starts hopping towards the entrance Ariara thinks a bit on the spot; could this have been a drawback of his ability? Maybe he could dish out a strong attack but be hurt over a period of time? Or maybe the transformation hit him harder than her... After all, Ariara is still in a humanoid body, unlike the bunny. 

"Then again, could just have been a nightmare, there are truly horrifying creatures around here..." The monster says to herself, putting an end to her line of thinking, with a small hope one day the two will be able to communicate freely. With the thinking over she looks towards the entrance, the bunny waiting there for her, their eyes meeting.

"Wait for me, Fimo!" The Harpy says, calling the bunny by the name she thought up after a night of thinking. She doesn't know his name, and just calling him bunny probably won't do. Fimo tilts his head a bit before finally seeing what he was standing there for, with a few more hops he puts his rabbit feet and body out of the cave maw.

Strangely enough, though, Fimo looks back once again, waiting for Ariara to follow. It doesn't take a genius to understand and she soon starts keeping up, his smaller size making it easy for her to catch up. Despite his nimbleness, the bunny clearly slows down for her to catch up, then walking alongside our protagonist.

With a swift movement, their peaceful walk in the forest is broken, the rabbit sending one of those glowingly gray javelins he can make towards a bush. With a light yelp, a creature dodges the attack, leaving its hiding place in favor of not getting pierced. 

This creature resembles a wolf, but is much bigger, being more so than a normal human, and probably more than Ariara, its hiding bush now falling apart without the thing that was holding such a big pile of leaves together. The wolf has a dark fur, there only being two changes in the pattern of darkness: a gray underbelly which extends to its tail and a peculiar symbol on its head, a half-moon drawing on its forehead that seems to be engraved in the fur, as if through genes it became like that.

What surprises Ariara the most is that she didn't notice this creature, not even with her harpy eye. Granted that it was a probability of activating but how did Fimo notice it? Does he also have a detection skill? Despite her confusion, she knows what comes next. A rabbit and a wolf don't look like they'd be passive to each other, although the food chain might be messed up around here.

The wolf turns its head up, its body stirring, tail included, as a howl rises through the forest's silence. The two are stunned at this, but only for around a second before Ariara starts spewing out Frost Breath from her mouth, Fimo's horn seemingly glowing, preparing an attack.

The wolf is very light, at the very least it demonstrates agility because of its sudden movements, jumping up in the air out of the way of the frost, the attack going awol and freezing the ground where it was standing, with a fwoosh sound the wolf suddenly dissapears.

With the two look around in confusion the wolf goes unnoticed as it appears again, but now behind Fimo, with a swift and powerful kick throwing him forward like a ball, Ariara instinctively summoning the grass blade and swinging it at the wolf, which opens its maw and holds onto it, a bit of blood coming out of it as it does cut up a bit of the flesh.

The pain is pretty back, a wince coming from the wolf as it lets go of the sword to take quick backsteps, not seeing favor in keeping up the grapple of the sword, especially because of the rabbit getting up, it preparing to dodge its attack.

The javalin does indeed shoot but... It goes in a completely wrong direction, both Ariara and the wolf staring with confusion at the glowing gray magic weapon going again a tree and piercing it... Only for multiple people to step out of their hiding, 5 armed humans. Among these warriors armed with full-plate made of shining silver one stands out. Instead of wearing such protective armor, he seems to wield a long gray coat, shining armor underneath it and a mask resembling a face hiding his own, two deep gray eyes sizing up the opposition.

With a few words unknown to Ariara the soldiers each draw what seem to be crossbows, albeit built differently, the commander himself taking from a golden-coated sword sheat what appears to be a sword of a weird material, it's mostly gray apart from around five diamonds sticking out of the middle of some parts that seem attached to each other by little gray chains.

The panic finally hits Ariara by this point, she couldn't possibly take all of these enemies head-on, just by looking at their equipment she could tell not only were these veterans they were men on a mission, not willing to stop at anything. She quickly turns her back to the creature she was fighting before, it rushing towards the human in bloodlust as the bunny jumps towards the Harpy, Fimo holding tightly against her right leg as she takes flight, not wanting to fight them.

Leaving the battlefield Ariara doesn't notice the string attaching to her leg, a purple line almost invisible to the naked eye following her in the flight, a spider the size of a pumpkin smiling, following the two in their flight.

38