Chapter 14 – Kobold words
834 12 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I can understand you..?" Ariara speaks out, clearly surprised at this discovery. All her hopes of allying with the kobolds had died down when the party of three spoke in the language she couldn't understand, but this changes things... Especially because of his wording, hero... When did she hear that word? Pushing away the many questions she settles on the biggest one. "Do you have contacts with Harpies?" Ariara asks, her a bit excited at this, after all, this could be her ticket away from the wilderness.

The kobold eyes the two a bit before shaking his head "I have a path towards her, but I fear the Harpy Queen would ignore me." He explains, a quite simple and straight-forward answer... If it wasn't for Ariara, with no context this could mean anything, from Harpies ignoring Kobolds to a bad relationship between the two.

With a nod Ariara passes to the next question, she knew dragons were strong, but apparently they were experiencing some kind of trouble? If anything could trouble a dragon she definitely wants to know. "What's the situation you're talking of?" The Harpy asks, glancing her eyes she also notices the Kobold from before that escorted them here heading out of the room.

"I doubt you have this information, so I'll try to be as detailed as I can. There is currently a sickness spreading between the dragons, a deadly one. We don't know when it arrived, but all the dragons are infected by it as far as we know... You see, Dragons aren't normal creatures. They're above us, their scales circulate pure mana, unlike normal creatures who circulate it. These scales are very important to dragons, and allow them to survive in most environments, and shine in one chosen at their birth." The kobold sage explains, going to what seems to be a little hole in the wall, putting his arm in and starting to try to pull something, clearly having troubles. "This sickness heats up their scales beyond what any dragon is supposed to be heated, cooking them basically. Even dragons that situate themselves in volcanoes can't do anything, as usually their scales are used to the heat, protecting their inside. Instead, this sickness affects the scales directly, leading to very weak dragons that have difficulty moving..." The sage explains, finally having grabbed something he starts to pull on it, soon what seems to be a wood box appears, him dragging a string attached to it until he reads something on the box, starting to push it back afterward and searching for another string.

"Now, you may ask, why am I asking your aid?" The Kobold asks, glancing at Ariara which nods. After all, Kobolds seem to know about it more than she does... 

"Harpies, Kobolds, and Dragons used to have a very close relationship, you could say the Kobolds were the legs, the Dragons were beefy muscles and the Harpies... They were the brain" He explains, pulling on another string, from his greyish purple starting to turn a bit red, evidently pulling on something heavy "But recently, they've betrayed us. And we've been left with this on our hands" The small creature explains, a big wooden chest adorned with steel on the outside coming out, him opening it to reveal a LOT of books

"Now, I don't think you're with the Harpy Queen." The kobold says, huffing out at the workout "Otherwise you wouldn't be here. So, our own hero is out there fighting with his life for ours, may I ask your aid? We'll provide a place to stay and whatever we can help with, but please find a cure for our dragons." The Kobold pleads, Ariara gulping, this wasn't a tough choice, she doesn't have much of it. But how was she going to solve this problem? The whole argument of the Harpy Queen flying above her thoughts, more important immediate matters being at hand.

"I will... Could I see one of the dragons?" Ariara asks, meaning to ask something more, but seeing as the priest already opens his mouth she waits, pushing it back. "First thing first, are you able to read this?" He asks, before she even gets to get up the kobold grabs one of the books, offering it to Ariara, her raising an eyebrow. Looking at it, the title is written in weird dots... She's seen these somewhere... Opening the book she starts skimming through it, trying to look around she does notice a few words she understands, them standing out between the dots.

"Barely..." The Harpy says, wondering why only a few words are understandable, why were they even dots instead of words?

"I see... These are books that the Harpies didn't bring back when they left our settlement, you can have them since I can't read them, maybe something useful may be written in them if you understand them through time." With these words through, she offers the book back which he puts in the crate, closing it. "We'll move it to a room we've prepared for your arrival, please enjoy your stay. If you need anything do contact me" The multi-language kobold says, meanwhile the door opening to show the Kobold from before, now wielding two buckets filled with water and no more spears on his back "This Kobold, Bin, will be your escort to the dragon and then back to your room." The Kobold finishes, then speaking the Kobold language to Bin, which nods in understanding

"By the by... I haven't asked, what's your name, Harpy Hero?" The Priest asks, Ariara coughing awkwardly "Sorry, my name is Ariara. Nice to meet you" Ariara speaks back, she wasn't expecting kobolds to have names for some reason, mostly because dragons always seem to ignore them in games and stories, and they're mostly cannon fodder in others... But seeing as Bin does have a name, the Priest probably does too "Ah, my name is Omun, nice to meet you Ariara." The Priest says with a smile, not offering a paw or anything, Ariara just assuming it's normal here not to.

"The pleasure is mine, I hope to see you soon!" Ariara says, nodding to Omun and heading towards Bin, the hard-working Kobold nodding and heading out of the door, the Harpy looking back to Fimo which seems to be staring blankly in the air, her giving him a pat on the back which wakes him up, the bunny immediately starting to follow the two out of the door, Ariara still struggling with it.

32