Chapter 18 – Viking Trouble
564 6 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rain is falling, droplets occasionally making their way in the mouth of the cave because of them falling sideways, a strong wind guiding them to the land beneath the skies up above.

Looking from a bit further than where the rain is coming crashing down Ariara looks outside, dark clouds reigning over the sky, with a sigh she notices two little streams of water on the sides of the cave, seemingly carrying the rainwater away from the entrance by doing so, and probably storing it somewhere.

The Harpy turns her thoughts away, today she has to move out, as she's been briefed by the kobold priest this morning. The Hatchling, Fimo, and Ariara have eaten before Fimo seems to have gone off to his own decides, the dragon unwillingly but eventually following the priest for the lessons he's been promised, leaving her to wait on the squad of Kobolds.

It doesn't take long for them to show up, four Kobolds of varying colors, a white one, a blue one, a green one, and finally the one that looks to be the leader, marked by having a third spear, everyone else having two. The squad getting on their knees, Ariara not sure how to take this does the same gesture for them, getting confused looks for doing so. Nevertheless, she decides it best not to fly, the current of the wind and rain definitely not being good indicators, her inexperience wouldn't contribute either.

With all of them here the Kobolds exchange a few words, Ariara not being able to understand them sadly. After that they all seem to head towards the exit, the harpy wondering if there'd be any way to get an umbrella or something similar, especially because of the feathers, she wouldn't want them wet!

It takes a few hours before the rain starts to calm down, the trees do help a bit along the way, Ariara noticing the Kobolds not even minding when droplets fall on their faces, being wary at all times, checking bushes they pass by, walking in formation around her and always holding one spear in their tiny paws.

After what feels like forever... Ariara starts to notice the rain changing, instead of raining in this place... Snowing, the trees showing the white color off and soon the trees starting to grow tinier, the group arriving at a less dense forest with a thick snow blanket, Ariara letting out a surprised bird noise when her bird foot sinks into the snow, she was a bit in the clouds and didn't notice the snow starting to reach that level. The Kobolds are lighter, the spears having been made specifically for being so, allowing them to walk normally if they mind their feet placing.

But as they get closer to their goal they can notice a lot of smoke coming from somewhere further in what now is mostly plain with a few trees in between, a white landscape with a few hills around making for the only points of reference. Ariara now notices how much she misses GPS, maps, and more of that kind, how can anyone even find directions like this?

Nevertheless, the destination is definitely clear, why would there be fire that way otherwise? Seeing the Kobolds cowering a bit the Harpy understands the situation. Dragons are considered really high in the Kobold's little society, and to think dragons fight Vikings and the plain ahead she can soon see by flying up, snow not really being more important than seeing the situation.

So, with two big flaps, Ariara takes to the sky, looking at the situation it's pretty dire. There is a little part of a hill that has been dug out from aside, this makeshift cave being held up by what look to be logs of non-crafted wood, just taken naturally. Just outside of it are many little human figures, all outfitted in chainmail armor and while some have torches others have all sorts of weapons, crossbows, axes, shovels.

From the inside, she can see a strong breath of fire coming out, but it's instantly blocked by what seem to be white shields appearing out of nowhere at the mouth of the cave, the only thing she notices that might've triggered it was a synced motion from the humanoids, a collective stomp on the ground, their helmets with horns all making a clinking sound, their small heads bobbing up and down, seemingly... Laughing?

Deciding she's seen enough to at least determine the situation Ariara starts flapping back down, not wanting to leave the Kobolds alone for too much. The harpy can tell they're panicking a bit, but still holding their spears with a determined expression, even if their tail is between their legs and their legs are shaking a bit. Ariara wonders what they're feeling, she's starting to get used to having to go up against hopeless situations but these little guys might not be ready... Either way, she has to try to work with whatever she has.

With a swift thought, she opens up her status, starting to brainstorm what she could do to even make a dent in the enemies' lines, after all, they all look so close...

Ariara the Harpy

Level 11 (125/135 EXP)

63/63 Hp

65/65 Mana

Skills

Bird of Many Feathers (LVL 3) - Colorful Harpy (LVL 2) - Fire Starter (LVL 2) - Self Pluck (STAGE: 2 LVL 1) - Flight (LVL 3) - Harpy Eye (LVL 3) - Grass Blade (LVL 2) - Chlorophyll (LVL 5) - Natural Mana Hijack (LVL 1) - Heat Mitigator (LVL Max) - Icy Protection (LVL 1) - Healthy Omnivore (LVL 3) - Intimidate (LVL 1) - Frost Breath (LVL 2) - Minor Light Spit (LVL 1) - Minor Corrosive Light (LVL 1) - Dig (LVL 1) - Cook Apprentice (LVL 2)

Titles

General of Warfare - Traveler of Worlds - Reincarnated One - High Ranker - Opportunist - Skill Holder Apprentice - Minor Nature Affinity - Minor Cold Affinity - Leader of Trouble - Survivor of the Light Ant Stampede

 

The first thought that'd come to her would be trying to use the Light Magic to widdle down their health while hoping the Dragon Hero gets the hint and helps, but that'd leave the Kobolds naked... Flying up might help to not draw attention to them. The bad part would be the crossbow's arrows and eventually maybe even magic. Finally, though, a smile comes on her face as she motions for the kobolds to come closer, a battle is surely brewing, and Ariara won't let these Kobolds die.

14