CHAPTER 96: MOTHER’S REUNION
56 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 96: MOTHER’S REUNION

SERENA MAIZONO

32 DAYS AGO

It’s been months since the simultaneous battle in Elysia and Alterra has ended, and the world is now at peace. Emperor Eldritch has succeeded in the empire on all nations of the world, and his dream of world domination has been granted by destiny. For the past few months, all the people; humans and dragonoids alike, are working together to rebuild what has been lost. It seemed that everything is in harmony until you discover that this temporary peace is just made by fear of the one and only ruler of the world.

Emperor Eldritch is a dictator. He would not hesitate to execute rebels in public, and he does it with his own hands. Several attempts on his life were made, but none of them managed to get past through the mind-controlled Pentagram Knights. It is a futile act to wage war against the most powerful man in the world even though he does not have any guards since his Eye of Deus can use mind-control magic and Heartstopper Curse. Going against him would be entirely pointless.

Danielle and I wanted to take up arms against the current reigning emperor, but Duke Corasell told us to lay low. The needless fight would only result to our death, and we need to plan our next move in order to remove him from the throne of Alterra. The old emperor Sirius Elkyria and his daughter Serenity Elkyria have been held hostage by Eldritch’s Heartstopper Curse. If we act without thinking, the true emperor’s life would be in peril.

It’s been months since I last saw my Xenon-senpai. After the war on Elysia, I’ve heard that he was captured and contained to a specific prison in which nobody knows. I have tried asking for an audience for Emperor Eldritch every day, but I could not even get past to the castle. 

I wanted to storm in and talk to Eldritch, but Duke Corasell prevented me. He wanted me to calm down and think everything through. Besides, Xenon is not a weak person. He is highly adaptable to his environment, as he can even sleep on the floor without getting cold. Duke Corasell told me to trust my lover and dragon knight, so I did. Somehow, I have this hope in my heart that says I will meet him again. We have this connection; the Vesryn Pulse. Even though he’s far away, I can feel his heartbeat pulsing strongly. My love has about two months left before his heart completely stops, and feeling that his heart is still steadfast, I doubt his heart would stop soon.

Ever since Xenon’s disappearance, Duke Corasell has been taking care of me on his manor. For months, I have been living with his wife and his daughter Marieflorine. I was happily accepted by the Corasell household and the couple took me in as if I am their own daughter. Even their cute little daughter Marieflorine considers me as a big sister, so I never felt alone even without the man I love.

But still, the feeling of not seeing someone you admire the most is painful in my heart. Every night, I would spend time walking in the balcony, looking at the night stars while listening to my beating heart. Most of the nights, I cried. But sometimes, I could only have myself engulfed with sorrow. In my heart and soul, I wished that I could meet him again sooner so that we can spend the night stargazing. But for now, I can’t do anything but wait and hope for fate to intertwine our paths again.

During the last few months, I continued my idol career with my girl band. Our campaign for the Dragonoid Rights Bill became much easier for the reason that all the empires of this world are united and enjoined to one single nation. As usual, Duke Corasell became our financer, but as time goes on, some houses and dukes started to accompany us for our cause. Among the dukes and duchesses that supported us are Duke Harrison, Duke Dragunov, Duchess Fleuret, Duke Azregon, and others. It’s hard to say this, but the campaign of the Dragonoid Rights Bill is going smoothly because of Emperor Eldritch.

One of our concerts was conducted in my hometown in Elysia. Much to my surprise, I was open-heartedly accepted by the people, humans and dragonoids alike. I thought the Elysian people would hate me for being an asset to another country, but it seemed to be the opposite. They welcomed me with open arms, and I was able to give happiness to the Elysian people; just like what I used to do back when I was in high school.

For the first time in three years, I was able to walk freely in Elysia. There were no judging eyes, no enemy soldiers, and no traitorous handshakes. Every people I meet here are genuinely happy that I am back in my one and only home country.

“I’m finally back,” I said as I made a simple smile on my face. I gazed forward and looked at the house my mother and I once built. 

The house I left here in Elysia made me a little bit surprised. I thought that my house should’ve been demolished or ruined for being abandoned for three years, but the house in front of me seemed to be well-maintained. I also saw the gate which looked like it was opened moments ago. I wonder if some homeless stray dragonoid is living in this place right now.

I knocked three times in the door, and it finally opened. To my surprise, the one who opened the door is not some stray dragonoid or some burglar. It was a tall well-endowed woman with long black wavy hair and golden-brown eyes that was somewhat similar to my appearance back when I was still human. It took me a couple of seconds to realize that this person is the one I’m longing to see my entire life.

“Mother!” I immediately hugged her tightly. Then I started to cry as my tears flowed endlessly to her shoulder. “It’s been years!”

“S-Serena!? You’ve grown beautifully! I can’t believe that it’s really you!” 

“Mother! Mother! I can’t believe that you’re free now!” I hollered. “I thought I would never see you again!”

“Serena… I thought you’re being enslaved by some evil humans. I’m glad to see that you’re fine.”

We cried to each other’s shoulders and comforted our own selves and each other for some fifteen minutes. 

After that, she welcomed me inside our living room. The nostalgia of my old days came back to me when I finally smelled the familiar air. The arrangement of our furniture and appliances are still the same, which really gave me the vibe of going back to the past.

My mother prepared a chamomile tea for us to enjoy as we had our mother-and-daughter talk.

“So, how have you been?” My mother asked. “I saw from the newspapers that you’re a lot more popular than before!”

“Yes!” I jollily answered. “Thanks to me being a dragon of the Dragon Knight Academy, it helped me boost my career!”

“Dragon Knight Academy?” My mom tilted her head. She immediately gave out her sharp expression as if she’s an interrogator who can intimidate in one look. “So you have a master… a dragon knight. Is this human treating you alright!? Is this master of yours forcing you to fight!? Who is he!?”

“T-That’s, uh…” I blushed as I scratched my head. “Don’t worry, mother. He’s a good person. My dragon knight is Xenon Wingate, but he’s in a faraway place right now.”

“Xenon Wingate, huh? Sounds familiar.” My mother screwed her head. “Is that the very same boy you met in high school? I remember you wanted to send a secret love letter to him, but you stopped because you don’t want any scandal… if my memory serves me right.”

“L-Let’s just move on, mother. I don’t want to touch on that topic anymore. Ahahaha…” I made a fake laugh.

I immediately erased my carefree look and stared at my mother. I find it really weird and off to see my own mother living freely here in Elysia. She was convicted of murder when she tried to protect me from an evil perverted duke. Her punishment is life imprisonment, and in addition, she is not granted to have any visitors on her cell. Back then, they were so strict that I never once saw how my mother lived in prison. It’s way too convenient for her to live her normal life again.

“How about you, mother? How have you been?” I asked in a caring tone.

“It was a long wait, Serena. For three or four years, I have been alone in my cell. I missed you so much. I am so concerned about you ever since you became a dragonoid. I was stressed and always overthinking. I was on the verge of madness until he recently came and saved me.”

“Who is he, mother?” I asked.

“Prince Michael Eldritch… Oh, I think he’s the emperor now.” My mother made the brightest innocent smile I saw. “He was my savior. He granted me an imperial pardon so that I could be free again.”

I shouldn’t be surprised, but I am. Of course, my mother’s only way out of the prison is a pardon from the emperor. That is the one and only path. I’m more concerned with why Emperor Michael Eldritch gave out that pardon to my mother. There’s no way he could be mistaken. I’m famous, and everybody knows my family. I think Emperor Eldritch did it on purpose.

To clarify everything, my mother immediately went to the drawer of her room and pulled out some kind of piece of paper. Then she went in front of me and presented a letter with the seal of Elysia’s Emperor in it.

When I opened the letter, my mother summarized the contents out loud in one simple sentence.

“Michael Eldritch wants to have an audience with you.”

1