The Manager Meets Someone new
40 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Cheers! At least for those who can drink.” Said Juuto as he raised a glass with his pals. Most of them were able to follow suit, except for the ones who didn’t appear of age to legally drink in Japan. In this case, that meant Rame and Akitomo. She’s really miffed that she’s not allowed as she was able to do so back on Enatis, but that’s only because demon’s didn’t have those laws.

Meanwhile, Akitomo is upset people are still treating him like a kid.

“The nerve of that server.” He said, arms cross in anger. “To comment that apparently some kid like me shouldn’t be hanging around a bunch of adult.” He adds onto a mocking tone to the word, kid, insinuating that he should never be called that.

“Well, to people like me, it is weird to have someone who looks as young as you hanging with us.” Juuto replied. Though in his viewpoint, it was mainly because it was viewed as an indictment to him as an adult. “Everyone probably thinks we’ll be a bad influence on you.”

“Hmpf, as if any of you could influence me.” He responded. “I’ll have you know I’m more powerful than all of you.” That was a bit of an arrogant statement, but perhaps not as untrue as one might think. The only person who could give him a run for his money would have to be Marie, and that would mainly come down to experience. At least, if this were under normal circumstances.

“Sure, whatever you say.” Speaking of, that woman practically dismisses his bragging as she leans over the top of his head.

“E-e-eh!?” He responds in a bit of a panic. Of course, with her being a woman, leaning over the top of his head means he feels the full weight of her breasts pushing down on him. “H-hey, stop that. You’re being so unfair.” He sinks down and slides away from her to no long be touching such a place. All the while his face glowed bright red.

“Fufufu, you’re always so easy to defeat.” She boasts as the woman takes his seat. “Anyway, we should enjoy this day as much we can. From the way Juuto described it, it’ll be a long while before we get anything to celebrate with.”

“Actually…” From the way she spoke, it seemed she resigned herself to staying here for a long time. “How long are you all planning on staying here?” Since the powers of Akitomo and Marie were sealed off thanks to the efforts of the others. That also meant the magic they used to get here was not possible. “I can’t imagine any of you want to stay here forever.”

“Ahh, well unfortunately with the demon lord here. There’s no other choice.” She answered. “And having dedicated my life to challenging her, it’s no bother to me where we are.”

“You got that right.” Said Akitomo. “No matter where, when, or what, we’re not going to rest until she’s finished.” It was strange to see him make such a declaration so loud. Especially given they were in public.

“Yeah, he’s still got a bit of eighth grade syndrome.” Juuto announced to the crowd now that dozens of eyes were laid on them. Couldn’t that boy be like the rest of them and speak more quietly? “We just make sure he doesn’t get into trouble.”

“Hey, I’ll have you know-” He was about to protest, but Marie covered his mouth so that he wouldn’t continue making a fool of himself.

“Maybe we should remember the ‘where’ part of your speech.” She told him. As they got into a bit of a bickering contest, Juuto was yet again reminded that despite the entire group being here together, where under normal circumstances they’d be considered friends. The truth was far from that. Those two had tried to kill them. Even Asaga made an attempt at Rame for a little bit.

“I’m going to step out for some air.” With these thoughts, he excused himself from the table. “Alone please.”

“Yeah all right, we’ll make sure no one takes your spot.” Said Asaga as the man left.

“Ahh…” He sighed upon getting some fresh air out in the cold. These people really tired him out, it was no wonder why he mainly didn’t have anyone to hang out with. But even then, could he consider these people his friends? It wasn’t a matter of forgiving them of their actions, but the current circumstances didn’t lend towards carefree days. And without the holiday spirit to bolster his own happiness, should he continue with this.

“What’s wrong, friends got you down?” A voice spoke to him. Juuto turned his head to see an absolutely beautiful woman standing besides him. And this isn’t just some exaggeration, he really does think she’s that good looking. Her long jet black hair, slim body, yet also packing some rather nice assets. It’s enough to make any man take a second look.

“I’m sorry, do we know each other?” He can’t say he knows her. And considering the differences in appearance, the man can tell a woman like her wouldn’t normally approach someone like him.

“No.” She answers plainly. “Here, let me introduce myself.” The woman sticks out her hand, silently asking for a handshake. He accepts, and she continued on speaking. “My name’s Migane Toki.” He impressed, even her name means beauty. Apparently her parents were either really good at predicting the future, or they were beautiful people too. “Anyway, you didn’t answer my question.”

“Right, sorry.” He anxiously rubs the back of his head. It’s not every day he gets to talk to someone who’s got him so enamored. “No my friends aren’t the problem. I was just thinking about some things.”

“Like how you don’t fit in with them?” Somehow, she was able to nail it despite only talking to him for a few minutes.

“How did you…”

“A lady can read body language quite well.” She said. Her tone showcases her confidence in said skills, making him not doubt her for a second. There’s just something about this woman that has him drawn like never before. It puts Juuto at ease, if only just a tiny bit. “And a little guessing too.” She laughed.

“Well, I guess I’ve just been thinking about my life a lot recently. Things really have been changing around me.” To say that was an understatement. He somehow went from some person working at a convenience store with nothing else going for him. To a man now entangled with otherworldly people, which included a demon lord as his new coworker. How else can a person react to that?

“You know, life does have a way of forcing change on us.” She responds to his statement by getting a little closer. Was this woman trying to hit on him? That really would be new for Juuto. Odd too, since they’ve only just met. “Perhaps you wouldn’t mind… Allowing me to be a part of that?”

“I think you might be moving a little too fast.” He responded by pushing her gently away from him. “It’s been a while since I’ve been in a relationship, but I do know I like to take things slow.”

“Hmpf, you like to play hard to get, don’t you?” Migane replies by taking a step back and reaching into his bag. Given recent events, that does give him cause for concern. She could easily be another person like Marie about to ready a weapon at him. However, his fears are quelled after seeing her pull out a piece of paper and pen. “Here, how about we stay in touch?” She handed it to him after writing down her number.

“Um, thanks.” He said after accepting it. “But, don’t you want my number too?” She began to walk away right after handing it to him.

“Hehe, it’s up to you if you want to keep going with this.” That’s the answer she has for him as the woman disappeared into the night. Juuto is left to stare at the scrap paper she handed him, a phone number scribbled on it.

“What was that all about?” Rame asked him, showing herself after Migane left. “Who was that?” She’s eyeing him with suspicious eyes, which he can chalk up to being worried about another Marie situation.

“I don’t know how you do it back home, but we humans do flirt with each other.” He responded. “Don’t know who she was, but that lady seemed interested in me.”

“Really?” She is unconvinced, but not for the reason relating to Enatis. “I’ve never seen anyone flirt with you.” While she said that as evidence for her suspicion, it also came across as a bit of an insult towards him.

“Well, usually I’m at work when you see me.” And he knows that it’s a bit unprofessional for him to do with with anyone while on the job. Especially given his responsibility as manager. “Anyway, let’s get back with the others.”

“Sure…” She replies, not at all happy with the sight. “Let’s.” It seemed a tiny wedge had begun to form between these two.

2