The Devil has a Fight
37 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

And so their excursion continued on. Though this time, they didn’t have the advantage of being able to hide behind their targets. So things were a bit more riskier as they sat at their table, menus used to hide their faces.

“This is a bit too close, don’t you think?” Marie whispered to her.

“Well, how else can we listen in on them?” Rame countered. Unfortunately, no one had heard of magic that allowed one to hear better. Not that it would matter since neither of them were capable of performing any spells in their current states.

“You know, it’s been a treat spending time with you.” Said Migane as the pair stayed quieted to hear into this conversation.

“I’ve been having a pretty good time myself too.” He responded. Rame’s hand tightened into a fist hearing him have so much fun. She didn’t know how to explain her feelings, it was like she was getting something she had taken away from him.

“But you do look a little down compared to the last time we saw each other.” She was able to perceive his slight difference in demeanor. It was also the correct assessment, as he would admit.

“Well, things have just been… Complicated.” He answered. While he didn’t think Rame was around. The man did skirt a bit around the issue, since he was discussing this with someone who didn’t know much about that relationship.

“Ehh, she’s just being a bit possessive.” However, Migane was able to tell who he was talking about without any hesitation. Considering everything she had seen so far, which was admittedly little, it was clear to her. “You know some of us girls aren’t great with expressing our feelings.”

“Oh, I don’t think it’s that.” Now, Juuto wasn’t dense. But in his mind, it’s not as if there wasn’t logic to Rame’s actions. While he wasn’t going to tell this woman, the fact that the girl was the demon lord of another world. Of course she was going to be suspicious of any person who came into his life. Especially with what happened last time.

“You shouldn’t be letting one of your coworkers take over your life.” She told him. “Especially seeing as you’re the boss.”

“I mean, you’re right.” He admitted, another statement that caused Rame’s emotions to spike up a bit. This time, she ended up squeezing her glass a tad too tightly, causing a bit of it to crack. “She doesn’t control my life.”

“That’s the spirit.” She rose a glass to that statement. He accepted, raising a glass in response.

“Hey…” Marie whispered over to Rame. She could feel that some things were beginning to boil over, and she was worried about them getting their cover blown proper now. “Calm down, or I’ll make you calm down.” The woman also wasn’t afraid to use force against someone she didn’t otherwise like.

“Oh I’ll calm down all right.” The devil spoke through her gritted teeth just to try and keep herself quiet. What nerve did this woman have? She honestly thought she was fine to just come in out of nowhere and start to tell him to stop caring about her? What kind of relationship did they have if he would just throw her away so easily?

“All right, that’s it.” Quickly, Marie overpowered her and pushed the girl off the chair. She then picked her up and quickly rushed them away before the demon lord lost her cool. “We need to abort this mission right now.”

“Oh come on, we’re going to miss everything!” She countered, but in their current states, Marie was the stronger physically between the pair. So she easily won over this battle for now.

After some time, the woman finally allowed back onto the ground when she believed they got enough distance from Juuto. “Sheesh, I wasn’t going to do anything stupid.”

“Your entire existence is stupid.” Marie bonked her on the head to scold her for making the same mistake she did. “Look, we got enough as it is.”

“We did?” That was a surprise, Rame didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary other than the woman making statements she didn’t like.

“Yeah, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with her… At least not any evil intentions.”

“What!?” There was no way she was hearing right. Did that woman fall for the same charm as the others? “How can you say that? Prove it right now.”

“I think the two of us are not thinking straight.” Finally, after enough time had passed, Marie was willing to face the facts. “Look, I don’t know how. But somehow you’ve decided that human was important.” Not that she could understand what made Juuto stand out compared to anyone else. Especially after the lives lost on Enatis because of demon aggression.

“Of course Juuto’s important.” She replied. “That’s not a secret, it’s because of him that I’ve survived in this world.”

“It’s more than just that.” Said Marie. “But, I see that someone like you will never understand.” Perhaps her demon side would prevent her from seeing what she needed to understand. After all, not being human did prevent her from seeing things from their side. At least, that seemed to be the case right now. “But… I understand why you might not want to admit it, even to yourself.”

“I don’t like where you’re going with this.” It was concerning to her. Having this woman… Try to connect to her like they were acquaintances gave her pause. They aren’t friends, there was no way they could ever get close enough to help each other, right?

“If you aren’t wiling to talk about it, then I won’t either.” Marie gave up and began walking away. “I don’t care about you enough to press the issue… But if you do decide to discuss things, then I’ll lend an ear. You know where I live.”

“Well, I don’t need advice from someone like you!” Rame continued to be stubborn as they parted ways. “Whatever, I guess I’m…” She was about to also make her way home, however someone just so happened to be right on her path. “Oh, Juuto. Funny running into you here.”

“Yeah, funny.” His tone indicated he was not at all happy to see her. The man stood before her, his arms crossed as if prepared to scold her. “What are you doing?”

“I’m about to head home?” She replied, unsure of where he was going with this. It certainly gave her cause for worry though.

“So that wasn’t you and Marie I saw at the cafe?” As it turned out, he did notice the pair leaving with the woman carrying her out as if they were trying to remain undetected. “You know, I might be willing to chalk it up to coincidence, if it wasn’t for the fact that you two hate each other.”

“Fine.” She had no choice but to admit the truth to him. “We were spying on you.”

“That’s what I thought.” He acted like a father disappointed in their child. “I can’t seem to live my life because of you guys anymore.”

“What are you talking about?” She countered, trying to save face. “That’s only just because of the things she’s said.”

“I was already thinking of it before I even met her!” He yelled, a bit too loud towards her that it caused the girl to take a step back. She had never seen him so angry before that it actually struck fear in the demon lord. “You want to know what my wish was?”

“W-wait, you told me that it won’t-”

“It’s already come true.” He cut her off. “I wished to know that… To know that if we could all really be friends.” Juuto wished that it would be the case. Yet the more he had thought things over, the more he realized how incompatible they were. “But I realize now that we’re too different to even make a bridge between the worlds we live in.”

“But, we’re been fine hanging out with each other.” She said. In fact, while it was a little foreign to her, things were mostly peaceful between them. Way more peaceful than what she was used to. “I love working with you.”

“But the things you bring to my life, it’s not normal.” For someone like him, it was nearly impossible to ignore the chaos she brought about. Even if it wasn’t her fault directly that his life was placed into danger. Her existence couldn’t be denied as something having had an impact on him.

“You… Don’t want me with you anymore?” Her heart sank at the insulation. He couldn’t honestly be telling her that things were over between them.

“Well, it’s not like I have a choice.” He replied. Despite being her manager, and having the authority to fire her, Juuto had no plans on doing that. He knew she needed the job real badly, and if he sent her away from him. Then someone else would end up being put in the crosshairs of someone as dangerous as her. “I just… Need some space. There’s nothing wrong with working with you.”

“Well you know what? You don’t have to worry about me anymore.” She responded with anger. Rame’s eyes were filled with tears as she yelled back at him. “Because I quit!” Then, she turned away from him and sprinted away.

2