Vol 01 Ch10: The Soul Slayers
575 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 10A: The Soul Slayers – Situation Report

There has been a drastic increase in the number of Anomalies appearing at town#21460, Japan.

The Anomalies however are being slain by a force outside of our own. We believe this is due to the birth of a new Human Anomaly.

In response to the above concerns, Vincent Redfern has been dispatched. His orders are to investigate the possibility of a Human Anomaly in the area and immediately slay it should one exist.

For the sake of the world, we shall remove all impurities.


Chapter 10B: The Soul Slayers – Date Invitation

A few days has passed since the great Yuichi Shiro returned from the Underworld. I've been going around fighting the Soul Anomalies that have been appearing before me over the last couple of days. There have been an awful lot of them. Apparently Alicia was dealing with them behind the scenes before. But now that I'm capable of fighting, I've been handling them myself.

However, due to the fatigue, I am currently lying down in the infirmary. Luckily no injury has come to my glorious body from fighting the Anomalies.

"Sempai," A quiet voice calls me.

"Sakura? What's wrong?" I ask. When did she arrive?

"Sempai, If it's okay with you..." Sakura fidgets awkwardly, "Will you please come with me after school!?"

After school, with Sakura? Is she asking me out on a date!?

"Um, Nii-san's birthday is coming up soon, so..." Sakura begins to explain.

"Oh. You want the genius that is I, to help you choose an appropriate gift for Ren?"

Sakura nods in confirmation.

"Okay, sure." I have no reason to refuse.

"Thank you, Sempai." Sakura says with a smile before running out the door.


Chapter 10C: The Soul Slayers – True Intent (Perspective Sakura)

Yes, I did it.

I was unable to see him over the weekend, but with this, I get to go on a date with Sempai.

I feel bad that I had to use Nii-san as an excuse. But it's true that I don't know what to get him.

A lot of rivals have been appearing out of nowhere recently. Alicia-sempai and Mizuno-sempai are both after Yuichi-sempai.

Alicia-sempai even took him to her home over the weekend.

Whenever Sempai comes over to my house, it's only ever as a friend of Nii-san's. During this time it's hard for me to be alone with him. Nii-san and Sempai stick to each other like glue, and I'm hardly the assertive type. So I don't know what to do even when we are alone. However, I've been preparing myself over the last couple of days for this.

To the two Sempai who suddenly appeared out of nowhere, don't think I'll give up without a fight. I've known Sempai the longest out of the three of us.

Fiancé? It's just an arranged marriage. I won't let it stop me.

I didn't know I could act this way. 'A maiden in love is scary' I guess that's actually true.


Chapter 10D: The Soul Slayers – Protect My Kouhai (Perspective Akane)

I came to check up on Yuichi Shiro. But...what is this situation?

The door is open slightly, so I can hear their voices. Yuichi is talking with Sakura-san.

"Sempai, If it's okay with you...Will you please come with me after school!?" Sakura-san is asking Yuichi out!? Does she like Yuichi as well!? Just how many girls does this guy have going for him!?

"Um, Nii-san's birthday is coming up soon, so..."

I don't know whether his birthday is coming up or not. But I can clearly tell that you're using it as an excuse, Sakura-san.

"Oh. You want the genius that is I, to help you choose an appropriate gift for Ren?" Yuichi asks Sakura whilst covering himself in his coat of pride.

"Okay, sure." He agrees without delay.

Does he really not see her true intention? Or is he agreeing having figured it out? I can never tell when it comes to Yuichi. He's a one of a kind idiot.

"Thank you, Sempai."

Crap, she's coming this way, gotta run.

"Eh." I let out a voice of surprise as someone suddenly grabs my hand. I begin to run as I am forcefully pulled. The person who pulled me and I both hide behind a corner in the corridor.

"Pandemonium-san?" I say whilst feeling a little confused.

Was she listening in as well? She's wearing a slightly angry frown on her face.

"Yuichi truly is an idiot!" Pandemonium-san scoffs before walking away.

"Pandemonium-san? I thought it was an arranged marriage against your will. But do you...?" I ask myself out loud.

Wait a second. Sakura-san is in danger. Being alone with Yuichi is asking for trouble. I quickly change my tone of thought.

As a discipline committee member I must not allow any harm to befall Sakura-san.

It can't be helped then. I will have to tag along to protect her from danger.

Yes, it's my duty to protect her. There's no other reason why I would do this.


Chapter 10E: The Soul Slayers – Last Lesson

The teacher isn't here so we're having a self study session to finish off the day.

Alicia has been in a bad mood for a while now. I don't know what's wrong with her, but the solution is simple. At times like this the great and glorious, Yuichi Shiro, will make small talk with her and gradually improve her mood.

"Say...Alicia.." I begin.

"HMPH!" She turns in her chair. Playing hard to get are you? Time for a change in tactics.

"Alicia, I don't understand this problem, it's not like I'm asking you because I want to talk to you or anything like that." I decide to go with tsundere style.

"Be quiet, Yuichi!" Alicia angrily replies.

"..." It's not like I'm being quiet because you told me to or anything like that.

"What have you done, Yuichi?" Ren asks me.

"I haven't done anything. I don't get what's wrong with her." I reply.

I thought Alicia was just in a bad mood. But it's more like she's just annoyed at me.

"No matter what it is, please try to make up with her, okay. We're classmates, so lets get along together." Ryu-san states with a smile. You truly are a good person, Ryu-san. I will do my best so as not to make you worry.

All relationships have a few bumps along the way. However, once you get over them, then you will become even closer.


Chapter 10F: The Soul Slayers – Innocent Outing

I wanted to act immediately and find out why Alicia was mad at me. However, during the last period she had ignored me completely. Seriously, how can she stay angry at someone with a face as beautiful as my own!?

I've already made plans to go shopping with Sakura, so I can't ask her what's wrong right now. I don't want to become the kind of man who breaks his word, so I decided to put the issue with Alicia to the back of my mind for now.

"Thank you for coming to help me out, Sempai." Sakura says with a smile.

"My pleasure. A younger sister working so hard to get her brother a present. Yuna could learn a thing or two from you." I reply whilst remembering how Yuna bought me a small box of chocolates from the local shop for my birthday. She even left the price sticker on it when she gave it to me. In her eyes, am I only worth that much?

I'm walking side by side with Sakura. There's a huge crowd of people coming and going from every direction.

"Anyway, I think that a CD would be a good present for Ren. He really likes his music." I give my opinion as we walk through the crowd. He's always wearing two sets of headphones.

"I see...what would be a good one I wonder?" Sakura replies.

"Let's go to a music shop and I'll help you pick something he'll like." I suggest.

"Okay." Sakura smiles and nods. "Kyyyaa!"

Sakura falls backwards after colliding with a guy.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention." Sakura apologises.

"Me too. Are you okay?" The man replies politely. Damn, he's a good looking guy with short dark hair. He's carrying a shinai bag over his shoulder, guess he is into kendo.

"Yes, I'm fine." Sakura answers curtly. I offer my hand to Sakura and pull her back onto her feet. Sakura blushes slightly, is she embarrassed about falling over?

"Take care, now." The man says as he takes his leave. I got the feeling he was glaring at me intensely just now, does he swing that way? Well, I'm not one to judge people by their sexual preferences.


Chapter 10G: The Soul Slayers – The Two Jealous Maidens (Perspective: Alicia)

"Damn! We lost sight of them!" I shout in anger.

"We have to find them. Sakura-san will be in danger if we leave her alone with Yuichi Shiro!" Mizuno-san panics, although I think she is panicking for something different from what she's talking about.

I overheard Yuichi talking with Sakura from outside the infirmary and decided to trail them. Sakura was obviously using the 'get her brother a present' as an excuse to go on a date with Yuichi. I thought she was just a shy girl. But strangely, she's actually very daring. I didn't think she would pull this off. Yuichi agreed to go with her without any second thoughts, even though he's engaged to me.

I seriously doubt Yuichi was able to see what Sakura was really after. But, I couldn't help but be angry at him. Even after I realised he didn't have any bad intentions.

I wonder when I started acting this way? I originally had nothing but contempt for Yuichi because of what he did. I agreed to marry him before because I had no choice. When did my obligation turn into my own will? Is it because I started to enjoy life a lot more since I met him?

"Damn it, Yuichi, you fool!"

But I'm an even bigger fool for falling for him. DAMN IT!

Together with Mizuno-san, I begin searching the crowd blindly. Where did you escape to, Yuichi!?


Chapter 10H: The Soul Slayers – Vincent Redfern

"Thanks for your help, Sempai. I'm sure Nii-san will be happy with this." Sakura says earnestly, her innocent smile still on her face.

I reply by patting her on her head. You're really a good girl, Sakura.

"Oh, Sempai, here. A little present for coming with me." Sakura hands me a CD. It's the new album by 'Yami Within', which I haven't had time to buy for myself. Needless to say, I'm a really big fan of this band.

"Thank you, Sakura!" I shout to her as I hug the CD she just bought me. I can only just stop myself from crying in joy. You truly are kind, Sakura. Whoever becomes your husband will be a very lucky man.

But suddenly something snaps me out of my fit of happiness.

"Huh! This is!?" I know this sensation. A Soul Anomaly has appeared nearby. I guess it's being drawn to me, a Human Anomaly.

"What's wrong, Sempai?" Sakura asks with a look of worry.

"Sakura, stay here. I'll be back in a minute." I reply as I stroke her head. I can't let Sakura be put into any danger.

I run down an alleyway, which is luckily for me, deserted.

"RAORR!" Deserted except for me and this ugly thing I mean.

The Anomaly looks something like a bear. As with all other Anomalies, it's glaring at me with malice. Getting ready to attack upon the tiniest of sparks.

"I'll end this quickly." I proclaim to the Anomaly as I summon my sword.

This sword was given to me by my father-in-law. It has been fine tuned to be summoned to me whenever I need it, it's usually kept in another dimension though. I can't be walking around everywhere waving a sword around after all.

After seeing my sword the bear starts to charge towards me. I too begin to run towards it. Our distance between one another closes quickly.

The bear raises it's claw and takes a swipe at me. I skilfully jump back and dodge the attack. This damn thing was aiming for my beautiful face. I'll make you regret that decision.

Placing both hands on the handle of my sword I lunge forward. My sword pierces right through the bear's neck.

"Grahhh" The bear lets out a painful groan as it begins to fade. That's your punishment for aiming for my face.

"Hoooh~~! So you killed one of your own!" A man's voice says from behind me. I swiftly turn around.

Standing there is the man Sakura bumped into in town.

"Who the hell are you!?" I ask intensely. He said I was the same as the bear. He knows about Anomalies, he must know I am a Human Anomaly as well.

"I am Vincent Redfern. I was ordered by the church to investigate the unusual increase of Anomalies in this town. Looks like I found my reason right here." The man naming himself Vincent smiles at me in glee. My survival instincts are telling me 'this guy is dangerous'.

"The church?" I ask whilst recalling what I was told.

"That's right my dear Human Anomaly. I came all this way to cure this world of the impurity that is you. Aren't you honoured!?" He says haughtily.

Forgive me, Vincent, but I can't say that I am. I'm more repulsed by your high and mighty attitude.

"So without further adieu," Vincent grabs at the shinai bag he is carrying. However, what he draws out of it isn't a wooden sword. It's a real one. I can instinctively tell that it's bad news as he draws the blade out of the sheath.

I recall back to what Alicia once told me. One of the few weapons that is capable of killing me now that I am a Human Anomaly.

"A Soul Slayer!?" I ask, my body feeling cold from gazing upon the jet black blade.

"Correct. This is my Soul Slayer Muramasa-Masamune." Vincent replies with a snigger on his face.

"Muramasa-Masamune." I repeat quietly to myself.

A dark aura is spreading from it like a fog. I don't know how to explain it, but I get the feeling that the sword is alive, and it's pure evil.

"Here I come, sinful existence!" Vincent announces insultingly as he starts to run towards me.

I quickly create a ball of ice and launch it towards him. However, he deflects it with his Soul Slayer, without even slowing down his pace. He's already in striking distance.

Vincent swings his Soul Slayer horizontally, I lower my body down and avoid it before swiping at him with my own sword, although using the blunt side of it. Vincent simply sidesteps to dodge it.

"URGHH!" Using his free hand Vincent lands a heavy blow into my face.

My body slides along the floor from the heavy momentum, my sword falls out of my hand and skids away from me. Damn! This guy is truly strong.

"Sempai!" A voice shouts. No! What is she doing here!?

"Ah, you're that girl from before. Your girlfriend?" Vincent asks in a manner which shows he actually has no interest in the answer.

Sakura's eyes instantly swell up as she looks my way.

"Please, leave Sempai alone!" She shouts in a shaky, yet strong voice.

"Ahh~~! This is a shame. You've been corrupted by this impurity. Nothing else for it." Vincent tries to speak in a sad voice, but it's clearly fake. "Who do you think you're ordering!?"

Wait! Vincent turns his attention from me and towards Sakura. NOOO!

I quickly get myself back onto my feet. I know that I don't have time to grab my sword, so I just run with all my might. Vincent dashes towards Sakura whilst readying his Soul Slayer. Please let me make it in time.

"DISAPPEAR!"

"LIKE I'LL LET YOU!"

Our voices overlap.

I quickly position myself between Vincent and Sakura.

"GAAAAAHHH!" The pain is indescribable. I look down at the blade pierced through my body.

"Sempai..." Sakura lets out a quiet voice behind me, just hearing her I can tell her body is shaking.

Yuichi stabbed

I turn my head as I endure the pain. I try to give Sakura my best possible smile. But she just stares on in horror.

"URGGH!" The Soul Slayer is quickly withdrawn from my body. But the pain still remains.

My shaking legs soon give out. I fall to my knees and then a moment later I fall face down onto the hard cold ground.

My consciousness continuously flickers between my surroundings and nothingness. My wandering eyes notice the CD Sakura had given me just today. The case is covered in cracks and blood.

Sorry Sakura, I've ruined your heartfelt gift already.

"Al...ic...ia..." I muster just enough strength to quietly whisper the name of my fiancé in a voice no one else could possibly hear.

"NOOOOOOOO!" Sakura's scream is the last thing I hear as my heavy eyelids slowly close.


Chapter 10I: The Soul Slayers – I'll Kill You (Perspective: Alicia)

I had separated from Mizuno-san a few minutes ago and am now running to where I had felt a certain presence.

I had felt a Soul Anomaly appear in town. However, it quickly disappeared. Yuichi most likely killed it. But I can't help but have a really bad feeling. Something much more ominous than a small fry Anomaly. Please let it be just my imagination.

"NOOOOOOOO!" I hear a scream. That's Sakura's voice. I increase my pace even more as I run to the source, my anxiety increasing every second. I turn around the corner and finally made it. What I see:

Yuichi laying down in a puddle of blood as Sakura cradles him in her arms. My attention's quickly drawn to the other man who is holding something I recognise.

"Muramasa-Masamune!" I mutter the sword's name to myself. That man is holding a Soul Slayer.

"An impurity has no right to act like a hero. I didn't think he would turn himself into your shield." The Soul Slayer's wielder sniggers, like he found it amusing.

I instantly figure out what happened from hearing those words. He targeted Sakura and Yuichi protected her with his own body. I feel my boiling emotions surfacing.

I'LL KILL HIM!

My Scythe materialises into my hand and I charge at the man who is laughing to himself.

"WHAT!" He quickly notices my killing intent. The man who was laughing just a moment ago is now wearing a serious look on his face.

I swipe at him with my scythe. He jumps back dodging my attack by no more than an inch.

"Who're you!?" He maliciously asks.

However, I don't feel like answering him verbally. I quickly create and compress lightning into a small ball and throw it at the man. This spell is similar to the one Yuichi is adept at using. However, I prefer lightning as opposed to ice.

The man, using Muramasa-Masamune cuts my lightning ball. As expected of the Soul Slayer that is said to be capable of severing anything. It can even cut through something without a tangible form like lightning.

"You're not an Anomaly are you? But you aren't human either." The man states. I don't care what you think I am. As long as I get to separate your head from your body!

"Alicia-sempai," Sakura finally notices me, her eyes are red and covered in tears.

"Stay with Yuichi, I'll deal with this scum." I reply.

"I'm sorry. It's...all my fault." Sakura apologises.

"No, the fault lies only with the bastard in front of us." I answer as my hostility towards the man intensifies.

"Ahhh~~ He was quite the popular monster, wasn't he? I'm almost jealous." The man says sarcastically.

Sakura glares angrily at the man through her tears due to the comment he just made.

"You are much more a monster than Yuichi could ever be." I coldly state while spinning my scythe around in a circle.

"Well going at it against you might not be a bad idea. But the little girl's scream before probably attracted the attention of people who are passing by. So I'm out of here. The impurity has been dealt with, no need for overtime." The man explains nonchalantly as he shrugs his shoulders.

"You won't get away!" I shout in anger as I run towards him.

The man stabs his Soul Slayer into the ground. A huge cloud of dust appears, obstructing my sight.

When the dust cloud clears, the man's gone.

"CURSE YOU!" I shout at the man who is no longer present while tears run down my face.

I turn around and walk over to where Yuichi lay next to Sakura, who is still shaking.

"Wait a second." I couldn't notice it before due to my rage clouding my judgement. But, although faint, Yuichi's still alive. His soul still exists.. I quickly wipe my eyes dry and run to him.

"I have a lot to complain to you about. So if you die now I'll never forgive you." I declare to my unconscious fiancé.

Sakura looks at me in confusion. But time is of the essence, so no time to explain.

If that guy realises Yuichi is alive, he'll come attack us again.

I quickly take out my special phone and input several requests to my father. Next we need a place to hide out. I can think of no place better than that.

"Our destination is the school, connect." I activate the transport magic to take the three of us to our school.

"I won't let you die." I say once again in confirmation as we transfer.

8