Chapter 8: The Boundary of the Ordinary Rank
103 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The scenery flashed, becoming a mere blur in the fading background. Traveling at this speed was Brigan. Ever since his body consumed the Geno Art, he felt bolder in his approach.

He understood from the sensation that new genes had mutated inside his body, producing another sense comparable to his five original senses. But one difference, it could evolve further.

Still, he didn't allow this new sense to cloud his awareness. With focus and closing up upon an open area, he slowed to get a vivid detail before departing once more.

Whoosh!

This was the course of action he chose. When there were places that appeared promising, he would slow his pace and then speed up again depending on what he saw. But even so, the small intervals weren't wasted.

Instead, he used his time to its absolute. Every period it took to travel, he studied how to utilize the Geno Art to its full-potential better.

Before he knew it, an hour crossed by. While maintaining alertness, he caught sounds of conflict produced in the expanse ahead. Because every moment was dire, he quickly sped to the place, exerting his max speed.

In moments of exiting the gaps between buildings to appear in an open spaced road, the scene of three people running in despair met his line of sight.

Chasing behind was a rabbit of water?

The view was truly peculiar. Although a giant by normal rabbit standards, its true height was eighty centimeters. The total of which wasn't even half of Brigan's full height. And yet, the strange beast didn't lose in regards to its counterparts of beforehand.

Each landing produced from hopping was designed to crash its victims as warnings could be gain from the footprints left embedded into the ground.

And if meeting its eyes, the dark pools of traumatizing black sockets would draw appalling quakes in the body upon contact.

All of these happening, Brigan saw and experienced. It caused numerous thoughts to surface. However, there was one main thought above all.

How did the three villagers manage to survive?

Once this concept fostered, the reason became apparent as the water rabbit leisurely glance at him, and then them. The look expressed its feelings openly. It was strong, and those running before it were weak.

He could see its view as a hunter regarding its prey. As to prove this point, when the distance reached a certain extent between the two parties, it would hop just shy of killing but quite close — always making them fall.

Of course, being terrified and confused, the three villagers played to the water rabbit's tune. To them, every miss landing was another second of a blessing bestowed upon them. If their blessings could continuing endlessly, the chance of surviving their crisis was more than a fantasy.

Having had observed plenty, Brigan initiated action to interfere. But such a movement didn't go unnoticed. As if in warning, the water rabbit's figure radiated intense violet glows.

The shade of its glows was different than just being violet. At the edges was a scarce flicker of a light indigo color.

With the message being sent, it also brought a comprehension of danger. If Brigan was determined to intrude, he would need to put his life on the line. Something which he felt he'd done but in reality, the fights prior this encounter never induced pressure like the water rabbit.

Just using his own judgment and knowledge regarding the Geno Art grades, if he applied the same concept to rank beasts, he felt that the beast and God Candidates radiating violet glows were considered Ordinary grade.

As for the water rabbit, it was on the verge of being an Extraordinary rank beast.

Straightening himself firmly, Brigan stood to full height. In this coming fight, he needed to be at his best capabilities to succeed.

Now firm, he gave advice to the running trio. "Scatter to the alley gaps!!! I will block off its path here!!!" He spoke calmly. His expression was also solid, raising no indications of wavering.

"Who..." one tried asking before being rebuked.

"Shut up and just run!!! If that guy wants to die in our stead, let him!!! Or do you want to traded places?!!" The shouter this time was a big sturdy man hiding his muscle physique under layers of body fat.

Turning his face grim, the first speaker ran off faster. He didn't give a second retort nor look back. But it wasn't just him. The other two running also came to a consensus. They were better off letting wanna be heroes take the death ax.

Regarding their thoughts and actions, Brigan didn't care. From the beginning, he chose this action to repay his dues since he believed in returning grace with greater grace. This was all to set Elber at ease once he left this place, nothing more.

With his goals sets and having already approached close to the water rabbit, he assumed a fighting stance he was most familiar using during bouts of scuffles — a boxing stance.

Tap! Tap! Tap! The bouncing of his feet echoed in the area.

Floosh! Dashing inside, he delivered a downward blow that would drive it into the ground.

During these happenings, the water rabbit didn't move. In fact, all it did was glare viciously and radiate its aura brighter. But once the incoming impact closed in, its dark pools flashed.

Showing the difference in their experience and knowledge regarding each others species, the water rabbit remained still, attempting no procedures to protect itself.

Blop! The blow was a solid hit, but the resistance felt odd. And odd indeed it was because the water rabbit's surface sunk inwardly which created a feeling of being recoiled on collision.

Bong! Bop! The water rabbit once more proved its high intelligence and hunter ability as it sent out a two-foot high kick during Brigan's repelling, landing it on his chest to send him in the air and shooting toward a pointed tree branch.

Being the place they were at, the pointed tree branch was not a standard kind. It possessed the same features the outside trees of this planet held.

Thick and razor sharp like long blades of swords.

Flying through the air at rapid speeds, Brigan was helpless in controlling his self mid-flight.

Bang! Crash! Using instinct to swing blindly behind him, and because of the insane speed he soared through the air, the branch was slightly redirected, allowing his body to take damage from a blunt type of contact.

Boom! His figure he the ground as he hacked mouthfuls of blood.

The difference between a borderline Extraordinary and an Ordinary was vast. Once more, having no weapon except for his body, it could be said that the water rabbit was his direct nemesis.

2