Chapter 11: Easiest Escape in History
67 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bam! Click!

"Sit tight boy. Your following hours will be something to look forward to," Emeric taunted nonchalantly before departing. And as he left, the torches that poorly lit the background flickered, matching his retreating burnt-red clothes perfectly as it graced the holding cell.

Brigan snorted to himself. During the walk to the holding cell, Emeric's upper face mask concealed many of his expressions well, but it did not hide his eyes that reflected the amusement and hatred he harbored.

His past also seemed to correspond alongside with Elber's, bringing the two in conflicts like oil and water. This malice he carried then shifted on to him because of his close ties shared with Elber.

Thankfully, when Jehan told Emeric to search his person, using his upper mask God Weapon to inspect for hidden items, he failed to locate the Ethereal Geno Art box he carried.

However, he was not any one's punching bag. When there was a chance, he would remind the two men that throwing fists to others; one had to expect fists thrown back.

After putting thoughts of the two aside, Brigan began inspecting his new living quarters. Similar to the buildings of the village, his jail cell location was underground in a basement or cellar of sorts with walls constructed using a metal stronger than steel in a brick-like patterning.

Furthermore, each brick alternated colors between the same silvery mercury and coppery colors of the houses on the surface. Unfortunate for him, the jail cell only provided one entrance that blew gentle breezes every few seconds with diamond goldish bars to act as the cages.

Bored with the inspection, Brigan sat legs-crossed near the wall, leaving his back to rest on its cold exterior. "Time to wait for daybreak," he said quietly. He would put his trust in Elber and give him half a day.

Once the village entered another beast invasion, he would start his own investigation. Hopefully this time, he got the opportunity to confront both the water rabbit and the shadowy figure.

Finally at peace, Brigan's eyelids shut as he heightened his awareness for the slightest sound. While his senses were on alert, the seconds he endured became minutes. Which in turn, those minutes became hours.

Before long, using his own inner clock, he determined the sun was making its appearance. If he had thoughtlessly fallen asleep, he probably would have missed the correct hour. After all, his holding cell did not have windows. And the only entrance there was, was located far away.

Quickly jumping to his feet, Brigan determined it was time to initiate Plan A for what would be known in the future as the easiest escape in history. Taking a deep breath to inhale his lungs' greatest capacity for oxygen, he cupped a hand on each side of his mouth before starting the plan.

Nothing could go wrong!

___

Sometime earlier outside the underground cellar, a group of four men wearing brown light armor that protected their torso, joints, and neck with greyish green uniforms was executing preparations for the incoming beast invasion like usual.

As they did their daily routine, the captain began addressing the other three soldiers. "Double Nine and Triple One, you two are to stand watch over the prison. Later, One Hundred and I will relieve you in shifts," the captain spoke firmly.

"Yes, Sir!" All three replied. However, before the four separated, Triple One raised his hand childishly. "Uh... Sir...? I mean Captain Sir! May I ask one question, Sir?!" He said timidly at first before finishing strongly.

"Permission granted and denied! You just asked a question soldier! Can you not count?!" The captain roared loudly after leaning next to Triple One's ear.

"Uh... another...?" He asked unsurely.

The other two watching sweatdropped at the stupidity of his actions. By now, after spending numerous years with the captain, they thought Triple One would understand the captain better.

"Another?" The captain asked with his face turning ugly.

"Captain Sir! Triple One wishes to ask a question, Sir!" This time, Double Nine could not bear to continuing watching the train wreck known as Triple One further.

"Okay, granted Triple One!" The captain roared again.

"Uh... about guarding the prisoners, may we uh... decide the time lengths by... wagers?" Triple One asked again unsurely.

The two observing and listening eyes grew big hearing the question. 'Oh no,' they both could not help thinking. Knowing how the captain operated, it was like giving a man suffering from thirst a glass of water.

"You are asking an upright captain to gamble?!" The captain roared furiously. However, his broad smile, eyes thinly split open, and hands clasped rubbing together failed to conceal his real thoughts. "Of course we may!!!" He shouted eagerly.

'We're going to miss the invasion today!' The both exclaimed inwardly.

Tightly grabbing Triple One by the shoulder, the captain leaned in as far as to touch noses. His eyes then glared heatedly, "Do you have a deck of playing cards? No? Alrighty men, listen up!!! We are to retrieve my card deck and start it off with Dead Man!!! Move it!!! Move, move, move!!!" Despite his words, the sprinting figure in the distance showed his impatience for waiting on them.

To avoid getting an earful later, the remaining trio also sped after their disappearing captain while calling out. "Wait!!!"

At the same moment, a muffled sound was in harmony. "Help!!!"

___

Screaming at the top of his lungs was Brigan. "Help!!! There is a beast inside my cell!!! Did you hear me?!! Help!!! It's a real, death and life situation!!! Why are you guys being so ruthless?!! If I die, you won't get any answers!!!" He continued yelling.

Sighing after catching his breath, he thought up a reason that would cause them to fail on responding. "Hmm... let's go with Plan B!" He said decisively.

Plan B was to wait one or two hours for mealtime and then trick the food supplier into entering the holding cell. He was positive that nothing could foil this chance since everyone needed to eat also.

"Shut up noisy pest!" Cried a prisoner that was far from his eyesight.

But in the end, he ignored the complainer. He needed to focus on the goal, the goal of waiting for food service.

___

Meanwhile, on the way to the captain's home, the group of running four saw two more soldiers wheeling trays of food.

Growl! Rumble!

All four felt the sensation of hunger. Being the ever so questioner, Triple One made his inquiry known. "Uh... Sir...? I mean Captain Sir! Uh... that food... is it okay to have some?" He asked timidly.

Shifting his head and slowing his pace, the captain of the four stopped the two food suppliers. "Halt!!! Since we are about to play Dead Man, why not the two of you join us and bring along that delicious food?!! It'll be a morning party!!! Let's go!!!" Not taking the time to hear their regards, he grabbed both and had the others roll the trays with them.

___

Back in the holding cell, Brigan waited for an hour. As he endured, he called out to some of the other prisoners. "Does it usually take this long for food service?"

All he received was a roar of laughter. They all knew, if the food was delayed, that guard captain was the one guarding the morning shift.

Brigan's brows raised before dismissing the others.

'Let's wait, Plan B is good!' Was his final thoughts on the matter.

0