439. Beginning of the War
604 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Outside the Akatsuki hideout,

Anko and her team slowly approach the entrance of the hideout.

"Wait!"

Dango warns them.

"There is a fuinjutsu formation near the entrance. If we step any closer, it will warn the enemies."

"Alright, all of you, take cover and hide your presence. We will monitor Akatsuki's activity from here." Anko instructs them.

"Yes, captain!"

Muta releases his insects on the ground and sends them away to collect intel. He also releases some earthworm-type insects to dig into the ground and infiltrate the Akatsuki hideout from underground.

While Ranka and Dango silently hollow out the trunk of a giant tree to create a makeshift camp. Ranka creates a bunch of traps while Dango inscribes some simple fuinjutsu formations to hide the presence of their small camp.

"Captain Mitarashi, please rest a little. You have been working non-stop." Ranka suggests in concern.

"No, that won't do!" Anko shakes her head.

"The war is at our footsteps. So, we have to gather as much intel as possible. Especially if our intel can save the lives of our comrades fighting in the war."

"Wait! Someone is coming out!"

Muta warns them as his insects crawl out of the earth. Anko and the rest quickly hold their breath and conceal their presence.

A few seconds later, Tobi walks out of the hideout and glances at his surroundings.

After confirming the absence of any intruder in his surroundings, Tobi warps out of the place by using his Kamui.

A few minutes later.

"He is gone!" Muta silently remarks.

Anko and the rest heave a sigh of relief.

"That was Madara! He just left the Akatsuki hideout." Tokuma remarks.

"I wonder where did he go?" Ranka contemplates.

"Let's monitor their hideout for now since we have no way to track Madara's whereabouts. Also, Kabuto is still inside." Anko issues another order.

"Yes, captain!"

Muta releases more insects to infiltrate the hideout.

-------------------

Swirl… Whoosh…

A spiral hole opens in the space as Tobi walks out of the Kamui dimension.

"Do you trust him?" Black Zetsu also crawls out of the ground.

"I don't!" Tobi turns towards Zetsu.

"However, we have no choice," Tobi speaks after a pause.

"You are right!" Zetsu nods.

"Most of the things didn't go as we planned. The Fourth Hokage and Kushina survived the ambush, the failed Uchiha clan massacre, the destruction of Konoha at Pain's hand, and the sacrifice of Nagato for Konoha's sake. Even the capture of Eight-tails and Nine-tails…."

"We have no choice but to move our plan forward, and the strength Kabuto provides is crucial for the war. So, it's not like I don't trust him, but I don't have a choice in the matter." Tobi shakes his head.

"You are right! However, we have to be wary of Kabuto. He knows too much of our secrets and has an ulterior motive. Once the ten-tails is resurrected, we can't let him do as he please." Black Zetsu adds.

"You are right! Currently, the resurrection of ten-tails must be our highest priority. Once I gain control of ten-tails, I will get rid of Kabuto." A gleam flashes across Tobi's eyes.

"For now, let's wait for news from Kisame. He managed to infiltrate deep into enemy territory. With his intel, we can deduce the strength of the Allied Shinobi forces, their formation, and important resource points and supply channel. If we disrupt their formation, the war will be in our hands."

Tobi and Zetsu enter the secret hideout of Akatsuki.

A few days pass in the blink of an eye.

Outside the Akatsuki hideout in Mountain Graveyard.

"Captain, my insects got some intel! The barrier down below is gone." Muta places his hand on the ground to collect his insects.

"My insects have sensed significant signs of life underground. It's most possibly Akatsuki's forces." Muta relays the news to the group.

"Tokuma down below! Toward four o'clock! Your Byakugan should be able to perceive what's down there!"

"Please, Tokuma!" Anko requests him.

Mm…

Tokuma activates his Byakugan, and his gaze penetrates the ground and perceives every corner of the Akatsuki hideout.

"This is…"

Tokuma's expression turns pale as the sinister chakra of Gedo Statue appears in his vision.

"What's the matter, Tokuma?" Ranka hurriedly supports him.

"I am fine!" Tokuma takes a deep breath and continues to survey the underground structure of the hideout.

"Found them!" Tokuma's eyes narrow as he locates the hidden Zetsu army.

Currently, Kabuto is sitting beside them and releases a few strands of chakra into the various roots connecting to each Zetsu.

"What do you see, Tokuma?" Anko asks him with worry.

"Ranka, prepare to contact the headquarter." She issues a command to Ranka.

"Yes, captain!"

"I saw Kabuto and so many of them…"

"WHAT?!"

Everyone's expression turns serious at Tokuma's words.

"There are almost a hundred thousand of that tree-like Akatsuki member Zetsu. And that Kabuto seems to use some sort of technique to strengthen those Zetsu." Tokuma replies with a pale face.

"Ranka, hurry up!"

"Yes, captain!"

Ranka makes a series of hand signs and slams his palm on the ground.

Poof…

A small pigeon appears in a burst of white smoke. Ranka quickly pens down the intel on a scroll and ties it down to the claw of the pigeon.

"Go!" He releases the pigeon towards the Allied Shinobi's headquarters.

The pigeon swiftly flies through the air and vanishes from their sight. Tokuma and Muta continue to observe the movement of Zetsu.

A day later,

Swirl… Swoosh…

Tobi walks out of a spiral portal. He enters the Akatsuki headquarters.

"Madara is back!" Muta warns them.

----------------------

Tobi walks downstairs and arrives in front of Kabuto.

"How's the progress?"

"I am almost done! We can deploy our forces anytime." Kabuto nods at him.

"So, did you get the intel?" Kabuto inquires.

"I did! However, Kisame didn't make it. He lost his life while delivering the intel." Tobi shakes his head.

"That's unfortunate!" Kabuto shakes his head.

"It's about time we make our move." Tobi turns towards the giant Zetsu army.

"I will make the hundred thousand Zetsu army travel underground and ambush the back line of the enemy. Such a large army would only attract attention if we move above the ground and we will lose our element of surprise."

The Zetsu army enters the ground and vanishes from their sight.

Swish… swish…

Kabuto also makes some hand signs and summons the former members of Akatsuki.

Clang… clang… clang…

One by one, the lids of the coffin fall and the dead Akatsuki member walks out of the coffin.

Sasori, Deidra, Nagato, Kakuzu, Hidan, Dina, and Fushin slowly open their eyes and confront Tobi, Zetsu, and Kabuto.

"What's this?"

The dead Akatsuki members open their eyes and look around.

"I thought I died in that explosion." Deidra opens his palm.

"We are surely dead but are resurrected through Orochimaru's Edo Tensei." Sasori recognizes the reanimation jutsu with a glance.

"Madara, you haven't given up yet!" Nagato's eyes narrow as he glares at Tobi.

Swish…

Kabuto makes a Ram hand seal and restricts Nagato's movements. Sasori turns towards Kabuto and scrutinizes him for a while.

"I recognize you. You were one of my spies in the hidden leaf. Later, you betrayed me for Orochimaru. No wonder you can use Orochimaru's jutsu." Sasori glares at Kabuto.

Kabuto shrugs his shoulder.

"If Akatsuki has to rely on a wimp like him to order us around, Akatsuki sure has fallen on hard times. Not only that, the only survivor is Zetsu and Tobi." Sasori rebukes Kabuto.

"You're quite brash for being dead, my good man. And you used to insist that eternal beauty is true art… Hmmm! I am sure you died because of that huge weak spot on your chest." Deidra jokes at Sasori's state.

"Deidra, if you didn't shut up the next moment; I will kill you with my own hands." Sasori glares at Deidra.

"I am already dead, and so you are. So, it doesn't matter." Deidra shrugs his shoulder.

"Is this really going to work?" Tobi turns towards Kabuto.

"There are too many reanimated shinobis and it's too difficult to control them all. Right now, I am just focusing on mobilization. Ultimately, I will direct everything. When the fighting begins, I will erase their personalities and turn them into obedient killing machines. There is no need to worry." Kabuto assures him.

"Oye! Snake-face, there is no need to control me. If you do so, then I won't feel the pleasure of slaughter." Dina turns towards Kabuto.

"Since I am dead, I can't use my money anymore. So, there is no reason for me to fight anymore." Kakuzu shakes his head.

"I just want to avenge my death at the hands of that Konoha brat!" Hidan grips his scythe.

"Who are we fighting against?" Sasori raises a question.

"It's the allied shinobi force of five Great Shinobi nations," Kabuto answers him.

"Also, Sakumo Hatake is the supreme commander of the Great Battle Regiment," Tobi adds.

"Sakumo Hatake!" Sasori's eyes narrow.

"I will fight in this war of my own volition. Just deploy me on the same battlefield as Sakumo Hatake. This vengeance will be mine."

"Very well!" Kabuto nods at him.

"What about you all?" Tobi turns to the rest.

"I have no good feeling towards the five great nations." Fushin remarks.

"Alright then, let's begin the war!"

-------------------------

A/N:- My new Naruto fan-fic, 'The Rogue Demon of the Shinobi World' is out.

Also, check out my pat reon www.pa treon.com/ForgottenLife to support my work and get a sneak peak at the latest chapters of both series in advance. Read upto 80+ chapters from both series combined in advance.

10